Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Urgent, need hotfix: 4x 3d scopes allows TrackIR users to look around freely in 4x

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=10373

I made this ticket about the issue.

The new beta allows TrackIR users to look around freely when using 4x scopes. This enables TrackIR users to look around while retaining the 4x zoom, and I am sure this is not intended. I did test with the sniper class as well, and I can confirm that the issue is exclusive to the 4x optical sights.

I made a post about this to make sure the ticket doesn't drown in others, as I am quite sure developers does want to know this fast.

there should be a blur filter for the outside scene of the scope. only the scope should be sharp.

or just automatically unzoom when head is moved too far to the sides..

there should be a blur filter for the outside scene of the scope. only the scope should be sharp.

or just automatically unzoom when head is moved too far to the sides..

No possible withging current implementation. Scope zoom is defined in the scope config, and as you know, there is no way to alter a config on the fly.

I have the same problem with my TrackIR too I hate the new 3D scopes they are just not right yet everyone I know switched to the SOS scope but I liked the old ARCO

I disagree. I think they are exactly right, for what the game can give us anyway.

So I was thinking about this when I saw the Oculus Rift. How awesome would it be if you could instead of tapping right mouse button, just position your right (or left) eye into the scope, close your other eye, and view through the scope all while not getting this whole warped zoom in effect of current scopes. I realize this would require some way of rendering the magnified scope in an unmagnified view, but man it would be great. It would also allow you to smoothly look around and pull your head back from the sight without just simply toggling states. This is how it is in real life and I'll be damned if it ain't the future.

Well, on topic, yeah you shouldn't be able to do that OP. I wonder why the free look using Track IR isn't locked to the sight. Odd.

Nothing from the devs yet?

It's also possible to get stuck in high zoom even when lowering the scopes pretty easily.

You also can use 3D scopes and NVGs at the same time.

3D scopes are really broken right now.

I too have a TrackIR and am frustrated with the new 3D RCO and ARCO scopes. Plus the gloss is way too high on the rear lens making it too opaque.

I too have a TrackIR and am frustrated with the new 3D RCO and ARCO scopes. Plus the gloss is way too high on the rear lens making it too opaque.

Extreme emphasis on AGREED on the bolded part.

I quite like the non-locked zoom of the 3D scopes. Makes you get your TIR head pos right. Much better than when it was locked in the old 2d scopes and then when you came out of zoomed view, the view would wildly move to where it should have been if your head drifted while you were zoomed.

Not really annoyed about the glossy glass of the ocular lens. It's not really like looking through a real scope when your eye is up to the eyepiece, but I like it anyway.

If they can do something about the zoom level when you aren't looking down the scope, then cool. If not, I don't see it as a mega problem anyway.

I am more annoyed by the insane sensitivity of TrackIR when using the scope. Sensitivity seems to be magnified by 4x, too. This makes it actually hard to just keep that *@% sight in sight.

(And, no, thats neither realistic nor immersive nor fun nor anything else one could consider positively.)

Using TrackIR as well. Refuse to play without now. Love it!

Will chime in as stating I'm not a big fan of the newer "3D" Scopes also.

How are they "3D" exactly? Just Zooms-In the entire screen. Not good.

The Sniper (Optic SOS) works good though. TrackIR is not effected.

Would be great if ONLY the scope-part was zoomed but the outer was

still in 'normal' view (even possible?). I'm all for just going back to the

black outer screens. My 2 cents...

I am more annoyed by the insane sensitivity of TrackIR when using the scope. Sensitivity seems to be magnified by 4x, too. This makes it actually hard to just keep that *@% sight in sight.

(And, no, thats neither realistic nor immersive nor fun nor anything else one could consider positively.)

This I agree with. Even though the angular change is the same, the effect is drastically increased when zoomed, so a possible solution to both problems would be to simply divide the angular change for these kinds of scopes.

I can see why you would rather avoid the PiP method, as that could make proper optics dependant on PC performance, if I understand the PiP settings right.

I really like those 3D scopes and it's a shame some people evidently aren't happy with them yet.

The problem with track IR on 4x 3D scopes is primarily when transitioning from the red dot on top to the actual scope. More often than not I have been looking around with track IR and it is not perfectly centred. Even when off by a small amount it means it is totally off in scope view and have to waste time trying to find and centre the optics. Not easy when it is so sensitive at 4x.

The scope view should be locked to centre like the SOS.

Edited by rotekz

why not just automatically zoom out when turning the head too far?

so freedom of head movement preserved: check

and no possibility to cheat look around

and important: tone down sensitivity of trackIR while zoomed in!!!! even while "right mouse click zoom when running around" !!!

onyl one trackir sensitivity all over the place would help

It isn't possible to alter track IR sensitivity based on zoom settings. The simplest answer is the system in place on the SOS scope. Head movement not available when looking though a zoom scope.

If you want to turn your head switch to the secondary red dot/iron sight on top of the scope.

and important: tone down sensitivity of trackIR while zoomed in!!!! even while "right mouse click zoom when running around" !!!

FaceTracknoIR has a feature like this in the works for much the same reasons as stated earlier in this thread, so a toggleable sensitivity adjustment on zoom would be very nice, leaving it as an option and keeping the possibility of avoiding a double adjustment in case someone were to use an external version of it.

The zoom out on turn is not quite optimal, but a good compromise (Maybe PiP when head is turned and view zoomed out, and normal render when centered? That might be even harder to do right, though.), as long as the above is also included since you would risk some serious woodpecker jitter without it.

Edited by Doombell

PiP is out of the question as the performance hit for acceptable quality is far too high. The only solution that works is to lock the head to centre when looking through a zoom scope.

wow I honestly cannot believe that this is an issue ... I just purchased my trackIR5 and i have to say being able to glance around while "scoped" is Super nice... I really hope that they don't change that...

The ONLY thing i agree with in this thread is that the rear lens is to reflective and near impossible to see threw sometimes..

Hmm , you cant line up your NVG's with a scope in real life? I donno I am asking.. I figured it could be done.. you wear your NVG's and line up with a scope i imagine you can see threw the scope .. i dont see how thats impossible.. but whatever

and the sensitivity issue is EASILY SOLVED. TURN ON "PRECISION".... LOL

You can set the amount of smoothing.. effectively slowing down the head movement.. I have my precision smoothing on default 100.. and that's a noticeable slow down in head movement.. when i go scoped i keep my head still or i enable "precision" capture with my hotkey.. instead of ruining it for others why don't you learn how to use the technology you have.. If you have a problem with your head moving when your scoped ... Set up a convenient hot key to disable TrackIR.... Its THAT EASY.. you go scoped, hit the hotkey and turn off TrackIR for a few seconds..

no need to ruin it for everyone else that knows how to use it...

Edited by Lordprimate

while part of me was slightly annoyed by being able to move my head around while looking through the 4x optic, i've grown somewhat used to it now.

The problem is balance. We're not talking about the kind of balance that means Army A has to have all the same weapons and vehicles as Army B. We're talking about myself a non-TrackIR user, cannot be in scoped view and hold alt to look around. It doesn't work that way. Buying a hardware device shouldn't break past game code to give you an unfair advantage. It should have the same restrictions as what can be done with Keyboard + Mouse. Otherwise this game turns into pay to win.