Sign in to follow this  
afp

Fatigue effects

As I wrote in my reply to Fap, it was a joke. Thats why I added the ":P"

And I doubt you give a shit about DayZ players. To you hardcore milsim dudes they have ruined Arma and turned A3 into CoD :j:

I guess I need to clarify this again:

I don't care how you or DayZ players play ArmA. I don't care what you do on your public server.

What I care about is not gimping the game for me and people who play like me just to fit the gameplay style of people who want a mix of sandbox and Battlefield (your words btw). That includes preventing people from carrying ridiculous loadouts without any punishment.

Since you can disable fatigue already it's only fair that it will be expanded with punishments for obvious exploits. Blur or any other annoying effect is easily disabled and requires only a small tweak by wasteland/domi creator or even a server host.

Also just because I do not want exploits (which you call "wanting ultra-realism") in ArmA doesn't mean I want to die in a war.

Hope this is worded in an understandable way.

Make it even slower is what I am suggesting.Right now I run the airfield with a starting sprint at 4min30sec and if I lower weapon I do it at 4min35sec.Make weapon lowered running to be considered jogging instead and lower the speed so its noticeable that heavier geared fellas will fall behind.Make it have no blur.

I agree. Lowered weapon should be used for long distance foot travel. Still players and NPC should be penalised for carrying way way heavy loadouts (Anti-Material Sniper Rifle plus full Backpack plus Rocket/Missile launcher). So I'm not sure about a complete blur removal.

Blur needs to be removed from fatigue because there are so many people that gets bad headache or something as bad from blur effect. That way many people don't need to go in easy mode just because their head can't stand blur effects.

I guess I need to clarify this again:

I don't care how you or DayZ players play ArmA. I don't care what you do on your public server.

What I care about is not gimping the game for me and people who play like me just to fit the gameplay style of people who want a mix of sandbox and Battlefield (your words btw). That includes preventing people from carrying ridiculous loadouts without any punishment.

Since you can disable fatigue already it's only fair that it will be expanded with punishments for obvious exploits. Blur or any other annoying effect is easily disabled and requires only a small tweak by wasteland/domi creator or even a server host.

Also just because I do not want exploits (which you call "wanting ultra-realism") in ArmA doesn't mean I want to die in a war.

Hope this is worded in an understandable way.

Ok since we are clarifying things get this straight.

I don't care what you milsim types do on your locked servers, as long as you don't force it on the rest of the Arma community ok? If you want ultra realistic features that makes the game boring sure I'm fine with it as long as its not forced.

My idea of a game is not:

- A guy in my Arma 3 squad created a new mission that we just played. It was awesome!

- Ah nice. What was it?

- We patrolled some mountains for 1½ hours in search of reported insurgent activity.

- OK anything happened?

- Yeah we spotted a goat. Then 20 minutes later we found 2 bad guys and we shot them. Firefight took 30 minutes.

- Why so long?

- Nobody could hit for shit because weapons sway is to high. But it was so much fun.

- Doesn't sound very fun :/

- It was! Also I had to call my squad leader Sir, all the time on voicecoms. Felt like real life!

Also get another thing straight, because im so tired of your posts where you exaggerate, everything is black and white and everyone that's not in this whole ultra realism, are stupid pubbies that came to Arma from CoD when Dayz was a big hit.

I enjoyed A2 because it was more realistic then for example BF, was a sandbox and you had to use your brains to be successful. I enjoy it because its a hybrid. Its not arcade like BF and its realistic enough (not always) while still being fun. Do you understand that? I dont want to turn Arma into BF or CoD.

Some examples:

I hate the tab locking system. Its boring and no challenge.

I hate the overdone weapon sway currently in beta. I dont think its fun aiming at a target for 15 sec hoping the crosshair will land on my target in its random path.

I would love for example wind to affect bullets, so snipers have to take that into consideration.

I would love for the medic system to be a little more complex instead of of just "select heal riflemen...done".

That's the difference between you and me. I enjoy realistic features as long as they add value to the game and the type of challenge that is fun. A lot of the "realism" dudes think that creating features that makes the game boring and unnecessary hard will make the game more realistic.

Now back to the whole fatigue system which is the topic of this thread. I don't want be able to run around the map like roadrunner with a one man army kit. This is stupid. There should of course be penalties. Where we disagree is that you want maybe 5 different penalties where as I only want maybe 2. Understand?

You might think for example that the player has to stop and rest for 10 minutes, forced walk, increased sway, artificial barriers on what someone can equip and etc because its "realistic" where I only want to have slower movement and increased crosshair sway.

We both agree that you should not be able to run for 10km fully loaded then wipe out a smaller army on your own. There needs to be some form of punishment that renders you combat ineffective.

I hope that you now understand where Im coming from now and what I wish Arma to be as a game.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

See Metal, it's scathing, blown out of proportion statements like this that means we can never have a rational discussion about these things with you. Unfortunate really. You want it to be painfully realistic to the point of punishment. Most of us just want it to be similar levels of realism that have been in the franchise all along. Small improvements along the way. Like this new BIS fatigue, that happens to have a Blur post effect that is a bit too strong. Not adding a hyper realistic fatigue system is not suddenly going to make it another Battlefield, any more than it already is. Unless you think that it currently is like another Battlefield?

Word! Exactly this. Unfortunately you, according to metalcraze, are a kid that wants to turn Arma into Call of Battlefield...

Edited by fujix

See Metal, it's scathing, blown out of proportion statements like this that means we can never have a rational discussion about these things with you.

If you will stop cutting out sentences out of context, while ignoring the whole post - it will be alright. Trust me.

Unfortunate really. You want it to be painfully realistic to the point of punishment.

If you will point me to a single post where I want fatigue to be painfully realistic to the point of punishment I will send you a beer.

And no - "preventing people from running forever while carrying 100 kg of gear" is not it.

Most of us just want it to be similar levels of realism that have been in the franchise all along. Small improvements along the way. Like this new BIS fatigue, that happens to have a Blur post effect that is a bit too strong. Not adding a hyper realistic fatigue system is not suddenly going to make it another Battlefield, any more than it already is. Unless you think that it currently is like another Battlefield?

Well if you want it to have similar levels of realism that have been in franchise all along - then you will not protest if BIS will prevent you from carrying a backpack and a launcher at the same time.

And it's not another Battlefield - you are right about that. Battlefield is a painfully realistic simulator since you cannot carry a sniper rifle, a launcher and a backpack full of rockets at the same time and you certainly cannot run forever.

Edited by metalcraze

I still cant find a reason for "disturbing" visual effect like blurness for fatique. Why we cant just have forced walk option...when you run for longer period of time you get slow, very slow.....everybody happy. You have "realism" and no visual effect which can cause headache for some. For me its not the headache but I could play more than 30 mins due to light nausea. Really, why some of you insist on something that can cause this for considerable amount of players?

Edited by Tvrdi

I still cant find a reason for "disturbing" visual effect like blurness for fatique. Why we cant just have forced walk option...when you run for longer period of time you get slow, very slow.....everybody happy. You have "realism" and no visual effect which can cause headache for some. For me its not the headache but I could play more than 30 mins due to light nausea. Really, why some of you insist on something that can cause this for considerable amount of players?

Visual and audio is needed to see and hear the limit when you're really tired.

Because its "realistic" if you are feeling physical discomfort IRL. :j: At least that´s what they want you to think.

Visual and audio is needed to see and hear the limit when you're really tired.

Audio is more then enough. No need for visual effects. Add a couple of game play penalties and thats it.

Should I laugh or cry now?

AS I said: "If you are seeing blurry all the time, then try to play smarter."

I understand you are now fixated to this issue, running like mad around Stratis with helluva loads.

But in Normal gameplay, you don't see the blur often. And when you see it, you can get rid of it in few seconds. Or right away.

If you still want to keep blurring your vision, just for seeing how annoying it is, you should just stop playing the game.

Overreacting is never constructive. As I have said:

1) You can get rid of the blur almost immediately.

2) It only occurs when you are doing something which is not very smart.

3) Most people can live with few seconds of slight blur, feel it annoying, but not having any "physical punishment".

4) They REACT to that annoyance by resting, finding cover if you are in tough place, and going prone for a few sec.

PS. I sure Would like to see (feel) some heavier effects when being hit or/and killed. Now it is quite ... lame.

A) they can disable it with a single script command (enableFatigue false)

B) And why not? Why Wasteland players should be able to carry 100 kgs? Why ArmA should be catered to wasteland players of all people at the expense of everyone else and what ArmA stands for. See A)

C) what's with this crappy attitude "my part of the community should dictate how the whole game should be to everyone else even though my part of the community already has tools to cater the game to their needs and the other one does not". See A)

Likewise I will ask the same question - why should the game be made unfun for the rest of people who want ArmA to be ArmA and not a clone of Battlefield where people crash choppers around without second thoughts?

wow there are still forum users that want to impose on others ther thruth...

i paid for the alpha like everyone else, im here to complain about something that i don't like (well its more something that IRRITATES me and other users)

and YOU call us battlefield fanboys because i dont want that my soldier starts collapsing after 100 meters -one hundred METERS!!-

if you like it THAT much, i suggest YOU to script the game and mod the hell out of it to put that goddamn blur with suffocating soldiers in.

if the majority of the alpha testers (yes, we are testing an alpha alltogheter) think that blur should be removed, or atleast tweaked, so be it.

i play the game how the hell i want, you can call me noob cod fanboy and how the hell do you want, but im here to test the game and to support it with feedback.

this is a sandbox game, not a simulator, i came here with an high expectation of freedom and variable gameplay.

if you want to force gameplay on us, you are the ones that should quit with the GAME.

Of course. As soon they're exhausted, like everybody else. This is not related to weight, rather is about the fatigue level.

http://i.imgbox.com/acxRoBum.jpg

Quick mockup of what I mean, out of scale.

You are encouraged to stay in the yellow part, push to the red if necessary, black area only when things go really wrong. Thoughts?

winner

Edited by GottyPlays

I agree. Lowered weapon should be used for long distance foot travel. Still players and NPC should be penalised for carrying way way heavy loadouts (Anti-Material Sniper Rifle plus full Backpack plus Rocket/Missile launcher). So I'm not sure about a complete blur removal.

The penalty is that you if you want to be fully loaded and keep up with the lighter guys you will have to deal with blur while the lighter guys will not as they can run with a little blur occurring mainly on hills.Its just an annoyance though so I was thinking that instead of forcing the character to walk,which to me feels way wrong especially with the relaxed walking animation A3 has,but instead making a forced jog instead where weapon lowers and speed slows.Exhausted and sprinting stops....heart beat starts to be heard and you hit extreme exaustion where the weapon automatically lowers forcing jogging speed.If you press fire button to raise weapon the character slows to walk speeds.

I hate the overdone weapon sway currently in beta. I dont think its fun aiming at a target for 15 sec hoping the crosshair will land on my target in its random path.

What kills me is no differences between weapon types.I am using the GM6 and its annoying to take shots standing but when I grab an MXc my mind convinces me that it will be easier to hold the weapon still and gets hit by simulation fever and then I fire expecting lessened recoil(MXc recoil is ridiculous)and get hit again by simulation fever.:(

This thread seems to have been well derailed, but in case you're still looking at it...

I'm reading all your posts in this thread.

Would be nice if a dev could confirm that they have recognized that the forced blur is a big problem for alot of people since its affecting players physically. It really has to go or at least made optional.

According to your feedback, it is obvious that there are more than just few players who doesn't like the visual fatigue effect. There are some options which have been formed by your feedback and our internal discussion. I can't say you what exactly is going to happen with that visual effect. Final solution depends on many variables (influence on gameplay, implementation time, etc.) and it wasn't decided yet. But we know about all this and it is probable that there will be some changes.

Anyway, thank you all for help and for all on-topic posts. :)

I'm reading all your posts in this thread.

According to your feedback, it is obvious that there are more than just few players who doesn't like the visual fatigue effect. There are some options which have been formed by your feedback and our internal discussion. I can't say you what exactly is going to happen with that visual effect. Final solution depends on many variables (influence on gameplay, implementation time, etc.) and it wasn't decided yet. But we know about all this and it is probable that there will be some changes.

Anyway, thank you all for help and for all on-topic posts. :)

Thats great. I hope in your final solution, you take into consideration that visual effects may have real life impacts on players. I dont think anyone here wants no penalties at all. What some of us are asking is that if there are to be any visual penalties, please make them optional and add gameplay penalties so no one can run 10km with full load and still be able to function properly when battle starts.

i paid for the alpha like everyone else, im here to complain about something that i don't like (well its more something that IRRITATES me and other users)

and YOU call us battlefield fanboys because i dont want that my soldier starts collapsing after 100 meters -one hundred METERS!!-

if you like it THAT much, i suggest YOU to script the game and mod the hell out of it to put that goddamn blur with suffocating soldiers in.

if the majority of the alpha testers (yes, we are testing an alpha alltogheter) think that blur should be removed, or atleast tweaked, so be it.

i play the game how the hell i want, you can call me noob cod fanboy and how the hell do you want, but im here to test the game and to support it with feedback.

this is a sandbox game, not a simulator, i came here with an high expectation of freedom and variable gameplay.

if you want to force gameplay on us, you are the ones that should quit with the GAME.

Are you even reading the posts? Nobody here says its normal that your soldier collapses after 100m IF he is carrying reasonable amount of equipment. Ofcourse if you have a rifle, backpack full with missiles, satchels and an AT launcher in your pocket you will collapse after 100m running. At the end people will always have different opinions, so I think the best option would be to make a ticket and see how the voting goes, if nobody votes it up then so be it.. Oh and Arma is not just a sandbox game, its a game with simulation elements, if you dont like simulation of real life stuff then there is enough alternatives. But there is no other alternative military simulation game like arma for the milsim people among us, so ofcourse its dissappointing for people when arma 3 is less of an "ultimate military simulator" like arma 2.

/slowclap DarkDruid /slowclap

Glad to know it being worked on and that feedback mattered. If possible take another glance at Smurfs idea it really seems great to me and with some tweaks and editing can be beneficial.

Here's another suggestion that may work in conjunction with Smurfs.

If BIS is thinking about implementing difficulty based savegame enforcement, why not do the same for everything else?

For example at Recruit there will be no fatigue effects (incl. no blur), minimum sway, minimum recoil so people can have all the power fantasy sandbox gaming they want / practice until they are pro at the game / whatever else!

But on difficulties above that Smurf's fatigue will work (incl. eventual walk enforcement if you carry way too much) just like all other things - sway, breathing etc etc

Just like it's done in DCS A-10C where the lowest difficulty enables you to play in full arcade mode. That way there will be no wars and bickering between "camps".

Add realistic features, but disable them for recruit. All problems and drama = gone.

Best middle ground you can possibly find.

:soldier::soldier::soldier:

AS I said: "If you are seeing blurry all the time, then try to play smarter."

I understand you are now fixated to this issue, running like mad around Stratis with helluva loads.

But in Normal gameplay, you don't see the blur often. And when you see it, you can get rid of it in few seconds. Or right away.

If you still want to keep blurring your vision, just for seeing how annoying it is, you should just stop playing the game.

3) Most people can live with few seconds of slight blur, feel it annoying, but not having any "physical punishment".

4) They REACT to that annoyance by resting, finding cover if you are in tough place, and going prone for a few sec.

PS. I sure Would like to see (feel) some heavier effects when being hit or/and killed. Now it is quite ... lame.

Well said.

I will try to say this as clearly as possible.

You are doing something wrong if you start collapsing after 100 meters. Or there is something wrong in your game.

Instead of raging and wanting to change something which others may like, you should atleast try to change the way you handle your virtual self in the game. I can understand the blur making so many people mad, and it should be optional.. but removing all fatigue effects would be crap.

Then, give the feedback, but calm down. I give my feedback saying blur is good. And I understand why some would say it is totally bad. So, the solution is to give an option to remove the blur, not removing it for all.

Sandbox game? Freedom? Without limitations? You could get really bored soon. Try GTA4 with trainers. Oh man it is fun for a while ..

Arma 2 had some fatigue effects .. but nothing that made you think how to save your energy. Arma 3 adds depth to that aspect.

And Exactly... this IS a GAME. Very unique kind of game. I don't play any other war related games. They just don't have the appeal. And one big thing making this game (series) unique, is trying to keep the realism thing high in order. And realistic Is that you are not able to do some things without consequences.

Edited by Azzur33

I don't mind fatigue effects but that blur is making people feel sick. Just played a short MP game with squad and my eyes are sore. No one tonight thought it was realistic or required and seems to be overdone. Forced walk / black texture at edge of vision if you must but no blur - causes bad physiological effects.

I will try to say this as clearly as possible.

You are doing something wrong if you start collapsing after 100 meters. Or there is something wrong in your game.

Instead of raging and wanting to change something which others may like, you should atleast try to change the way you handle your virtual self in the game. I can understand the blur making so many people mad, and it should be optional.. but removing all fatigue effects would be crap.

im raging about forum users that think they became BIS ceo, and therefore suggesting other users to quit with the game if they have phisical problems with that goddamn blur. i apologize if i sounded rude.

basically you are saying that we should adapt? i tried that, you tried the new challenges instead? should i try to beat those walking? maybe im playing very wrong, but you are suggesting me to walk the entire infantry showcase?should i walk even from cover to cover to avoid blur/heavy swing?

Then, give the feedback, but calm down. I give my feedback saying blur is good. And I understand why some would say it is totally bad. So, the solution is to give an option to remove the blur, not removing it for all.

indeed. :)

Sandbox game? Freedom? Without limitations? You could get really bored soon. Try GTA4 with trainers. Oh man it is fun for a while ..

Arma 2 had some fatigue effects .. but nothing that made you think how to save your energy.Arma 3 adds depth to that aspect.

As i said in another thead, i understand that you guys don't want arma to became an arena shooter like unreal tournament, but goddamit, there should be an option to turn that blur off, and i hope that bis will work more on the treshold of the fatigue system.

arma 2 was very good as it was, why fix the clunky animations if we are so limited in movement? i liked very much smurf idea, and i even posted that in the comment you quoted, so no, don't think that i want run & gun all over stratis.

And Exactly... this IS a GAME. Very unique kind of game. I don't play any other war related games. They just don't have the appeal. And one big thing making this game (series) unique, is trying to keep the realism thing high in order. And realistic Is that you are not able to do some things without consequences.

http://www.arma3.com/features

EXPERIENCE TRUE COMBAT GAMEPLAY IN A MASSIVE MILITARY SANDBOX.

AUTHENTIC, DIVERSE, OPEN - ARMA 3 SENDS YOU TO WAR.

Here's another suggestion (...)

Also seems good.

Compilation of ideas and justifications for those late to the party:

acxRoBum.jpg

Quick mockup of what I mean, out of scale.

You are encouraged to stay in the yellow part, push to the red if necessary, black area only when things go really wrong.

I should add an "orange" area there because when (if) supression gets into account (right now is disabled) things may get unbalanced

Remove the blur.

Increase the black border effect when exhausted.

Add a heartbeat sound, louder as more exhausted you become.

Remove the ability to hold breath when tired.

Remove the ability to zoom when exhausted.

Walk forced when exhausted.

Maintain weapon sway.

Fatigue recovery rate decreased when exhausted.

Fatigue recovery rate decreased when overloaded.

Little reduction on the fatigue increase rate when sprinting.

Smurf's suggestion is good. But we need forced walk when too much weight.

That too, but only for the really final part of the load bar there, last 1\5 or 6.

If BIS is thinking about implementing difficulty based savegame enforcement, why not do the same for everything else?

For example at Recruit there will be no fatigue effects (incl. no blur), minimum sway, minimum recoil so people can have all the power fantasy sandbox gaming they want / practice until they are pro at the game / whatever else!

But on difficulties above that Smurf's fatigue will work (incl. eventual walk enforcement if you carry way too much) just like all other things - sway, breathing etc etc

________

Incidental note here that I'm wondering, but would lowering the weapon have any recovery or fatigue mitigation effect under your proposed scale?

I'm pretty sure the current BI system already takes that in consideration, aswell stances, actions and even the terrain. It is pretty good but the base system could be "better".

Blur is not only unrealistic but also may present a REAL problem for some people. Unlike the tinnitus effect used in ACE which was realistic but ended bringing some serious side effects for some people, including ex-mil.

Some may think is it a way to impose a more restrictive and boring gameplay, but I think it is something that will add:

• More value to transport overall ("Oh, there are people that doesn't care and will leave base with an empty vehicle" When they feel the suffering themselves, may change their minds)
  • Teamplay; Battle budies \ ammo bearer*
  • Better planning of movement, situation awareness (while taking a quick rest you are able to check map, surroundings)
  • I forgot the last but was a good one, trust me. :cool: Edit: Oh yeah, better inventory management. Unload (and rest) before an assault, createating a RZ point for suplies, for example. Travel heavy, fight light.

Tactical groups play like that from the start but if you can enforce this type or behaviour on Wasteland and co throught a "passive" and believable way, things may change. Or am I putting too much trust on the "internet people" ?

With normal\default loadouts it takes a really long time to build fatigue even when jogging (gonna do some more testing later and get ze numbers). The suggestion is to, not punish, but to disencourage one-man-army loadouts. In you example, 2km should be no problem at all, at least with a balanced loadout maybe even with a full one + quick rests.

______

Again, it's not a system to punish without a reason, rather it is about adding a new layer of strategical thinking. Not crippling from the start but to add consequences. You can go light and in the long run suffer from lack of ammo, or you could go heavy and in the long\middle term suffer from it or your find a balance there. In A2 for example, what was the downside of have a whole army on your backpack? None.

It is a suggestion to improve a system that was added (if it wasn't, it would be a whole other history), not saying it is the best even less it is the "right". As I lack the L33t skills to implement something like that, it is the best that I can do and I'm taking (or trying to) in consideration the people that are not fans of simulation.

Anyway, in the end the decision will be made in Czech Rep. no matter what.

Feel free to add anything else.

The discussion could go on, relating fatigue\weight with encumbarence, weapon handling (from sway to turning speed), but rather keep it "simple" for now or leave it all to mods.

Anyway, thank you all for help and for all on-topic posts.

Thanks DarkDruid for giving us an idea about what the status of this is. I trust you guys are going to come up with something good. Lots of good ideas in this thread (Smurf especially imo) to take inspiration from. Good luck!

The blur occur in several places, fatigue, when pressing escape in game and getting the menu, when dying, even in vehicles... that's way too much.

1. No you don't, you have to rest for a long time

2. Jogging for 15 seconds is not smart?

3. I can't

4. No, they react to that annoyance by hating the game and demanding a different solution from BIS