Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

Samaels Table - small addon made by my 6 year old son

Hello everyone,

i don't know if you knew it but i have a son, Samael, which is 6 year old. He is always interested when i'm playing ArmA 2 and also when i'm working on making addons. So i get a lot of questions asked "what do you do, how does this work.." etc.

So i thought best way to explain is work with him to create an addon from scratch, explain how things are done, what he can do, how he can do and so on. We did the modelling together aswell as the textures...means, he worked on them and i assisted to fill the knowledge gaps. The result was a table. Please note that Sam had the control and i was just standing next to him to tell him what he can do next.

So this is his work, his addon. And he insisted to release it to the public, so here it is, Samaels Table:

samaels_table.jpg

As you see, it is as simple as it can be. It has one resolution LOD, Shadow LOD, Geometry and Fire Geometry LOD. Also proper normal and specular maps.

My son would feel honoured if you could be bothered to take a look at it and leave a nice commentary. I would appreciate it aswell, of course.

Download: Samaels Table

news_donwload_oa_4.png

Samaels Table

As you see, i'm working hard to get the next generation of ArmA players and Modders prepared. ;):yay::yay:

:EDITH:

Featured on Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/29/the-best-in-game-table-youll-ever-see/

also featured on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/a-six-year-old-is-modding-arma-ii-and-he-made-this-tab-463918049

and also on rebelgamer (german): http://www.rebelgamer.de/2013/03/arma-2-diesen-tisch-hat-ein-sechsjahriger-junge-erstellt/17078

Also available on SixNetwork:

forumsignsml.png

on SIX Network

Thanks Paragraphic I

UPDATE

samaels_table2_1.jpg

samaels_table2_2.jpg

Sam was/is very proud of the feedback he got for his first table and was very eager to create another one. To be honest, i wasn't sure if we should publish it as i don't want to overstress your patience and goodwill. But good luck to explain this to a 6 year old enthusiastic boy. ;)

So, while the first table was more to get the very basics, this time we dived more into the details. The shape has become more complex and also the normal mapping has got more attention. The shape finding and ideas on how it should look like was a close cooperation between us both, each of us throwing ideas in the pot and see what works and what not. But Sam always had the final word. Personnally i would have prefered a 8-edged table but Sam insisted on a 7-edged.

Also this time, Sam wrote the additinal config stuff by himself, learning the mighty ctrl+c/ctrl+v magic. :D

So here it is: Samaels Table 2

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9367994/sam_tisch.7z

Enjoy. :bounce3:

:EDITH:

Forgot to say: this pbo replaces the previous as it contains both tables.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Good start + congratulations Samael! Now we need chairs and somthing new around and maybe on the table (eastereggs?)... btw Samael could you ask your daddy for an last + final update of his F-16's and weapon/missile pack? Would be bad if he teaches you to leave a job unfinished and undone.... ;) :D

WoW excellent work Samael,

Looks better than the ones in game. :)

It is way better than I can do and I'm waaaaay older than 6yrs, a bright future ahead of you lies,

Mick. :)

Glad to see you involving your son with your hobby ;)

My dad would just crack a beer bottle over my head and tell me to shut the bleep up!

Hey Samael (& Myke),

This is exactly what makes this community so awesome and this should be a part of arma 3's legacy. So I would like to ask for your permission to host this on SIX Networks and have it accessible to everyone via our tools.

*We will soon have pages for all the content authors to host and manage their own content and thus will give total control when we have this implemented. This would be a great start for young Samael to host his collection of all future creations he will most certainly be making.

Here you go, our mirror:

forumsignsml.png

on SIX Network
Edited by ParaGraphic L
added mirror: http://play.withsix.com/mods/455-sam_tisch

@all

thank you for your very kind & warm comments, Samael really appreciated it and he almost fell over of sheer pride. ;)

@NoRailgunner

please stay on topic, will ya? :p

@paragraphic I

Permission granted and Samael feels extremely honoured.

Hi Samael, congratulations on releasing your first Arma add-on. It's looking really cool, especially the added detail of the colored markers on the surface (which even appear raised due to the advanced use of materials!). Keep it up, we look forward to your add-ons for Arma 3 :)

well done Samael. :)

Now I feel bad because a 6 year old kid can do modding, and I can't... lol

Where's Foxhound ? this awesome table should be released on the Armaholic homepage, keep up the good work Samael! :)

Thanks Myke. Samael must feel really proud with all the positive attention this is getting.

To take a little bandwith from your Dropbox let me present you with our mirror:

forumsignsml.png

on SIX Network
Edited by ParaGraphic L

This is wonderful on many levels! Well done Samael - you've inspired me to finally go make a mod for Arma, and well done daddy Myke for being a cool dad who shares his interests. :)

Thank you for posting this - made my day.

Congratulations Sam!.

There are lots of things a man or a kid can do with a computer.

You chose to do something that involves tags as:"Artistic","Creative","Contribution","Fun"

Keep it up!!

*Sorry about my bad English :)

Amazing Samael! That's super cool to have a dad that wants to show you things and work every step of the way. That is the true sign of a good dad!

Keep up the good work!

This is a true work of inspiration for many. It's good to know there's still some good dad's out there practicing the ancient art of fatherhood.

Good job on that Myke!

So a 6 year old made a better addon than I could ever do. What am I doing with my life?

Good job Samael, being this creative at 6 years old makes me think you have a nice future ahead of you.

They are so beautiful! Congratulations Samael.

Nice work Samael and congrats with your first release :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Edited by Guest
Corrected Samael's name ;)

That's pretty cool in itself. But to see a product of a father and son, hanging out and a father passing the torch to carry on as a next generation of modder....that's wicked awesome. Congratulations on your first release, Samael (awesome name, by the way!). Good job! :)

Keep up the good work Samael.... excellent!

Great stuff Myke!

Very cool! When I was 6 I think I was smashing rocks in the back yard! :) Nice work and this is something you should be proud of! :cool:

He should do an Easter Egg model next :)

We could even setobjecttexture our own eggs and hide them everywhere!

Is this table 'stand alone'? ;) ;)

Aye, but we're already planning for a Chairs DLC :p

No worries, it wont be too expensive. :D