Sign in to follow this  
Serged

Will Arma 3 replace Arma 2?

arma3 stratis shittiest map , why cant they of made more Afghan maps

- Arma 3 is pvp heaven compared to the coop dominated Arma 2.

- Our squad has doubled in size since we switched to A3 and some older players have returned.

- Stratis is a wonderful island and I am even using a screen shot taken from 4000m as desktop wallpaper, it's that good.

- I was skeptical about Steam from past experience but it's changed for the better and there is no difference between using Arma 2 / Arma 3 for me. I really can't understand all the opposition to Steam?:

1. I have desktop shortcuts that start the game with different startup parameters.
  2. I use mods in exactly the same way.
  3. The game updates are configurable so it only updates when you want.
  4. Steam enables easy screen shots with F12.

- There is less hacking in A3 compared to A2 - so far have not experienced any of the major problems that we got in A2.

- The Alpha doesn't have the full range of vehicles/statics but it doesn't detract from MP infantry fire fights which are far better and more immersive. You can easily clear rooms with grenades now.

- Chortles got some heckling on page 1 but anyone who has ported A2 content to A3 would recognise that is what he was talking about, not altering A2 mods.

***if you want to use A2 mods in A3 they generally will work IF you follow the instructions to port A2 to A3 1st. Helicopters work very well, jets are best started in the air as ground motion for aircraft has a problem.

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

arma3 stratis shittiest map , why cant they of made more Afghan maps

Because Greece does not have Afghan looking maps :rolleyes:

Unless they launch a Steam-free version later on, it's a no-go for me. I don't want Steam, nor the game's future-esq setting. I'll stick with A2 for now.

[*] The game updates are configurable so it only updates when you want.

Thats wrong, the game sometimes updates even when u disabled automatic updates, That even applys to a singleplayer game like Skyrim and that REALLY PISSES me off. If STEAM would at least ask me if i want to update, just ONE FUCKING SIMPLE QUESTION, noo they wont ask, and if something goes wrong...(mods not compatible etc... in Skyrim thats a nightmare because when u remove mods from ur compilation u will most likely brake ur game and have to start a new character) like for me with ArmA3 Alpha, the recent Update wont finish, always aborts in middle of download, so solution would be to delete all files and download everything again... i really regret supporting steam by buying ArmA3 Alpha, but i knew it before so i can only blame myself

I've already purchased the Alpha, but I'll be honest; I won't be moving over until ACE is there. It redefines the experience for me than vanilla ArmA feels so boring.

Arma1 moving to 2 for me was fast, although support from BI (most important) followed on for some time with 1 and 2 ... I dont see 2 being overshadowed by 3 that much and I can see them co existing just as normal.
In fairness, it should be added that Arma 1 was by Maruk's own admission not something that he/the devs were into as much as Arma 2 was. There's a 2011 devblog from Maruk where he explained that in effect they'd gotten overambitious on their plans for "Game 2", so Arma 2 was meant to be closer to that, while Arma 1 was meant to be finished relatively quickly, on budgt and most importantly on time.

I do remember that in regards to the whole Game2 > arma2 process.

It was obvious because transition was not even a debate when it arrived, although as much as 3 will have its obvious porting and features, I guess the question is MP or SP in terms of "replace on release" and I think more likely MP off the bat, but as far as SP goes there's plenty of mileage in 2 with mods.

Unless they launch a Steam-free version later on, it's a no-go for me. I don't want Steam, nor the game's future-esq setting. I'll stick with A2 for now.

Nothing suggests steam free, its agreed to be exclusive. Check the steam discussion thread all about that area: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138343-Steam-discussion also mentions ways to still have 3 but not direct support Valve, impossible not to install it though.

The whole point of the Steamworks announcement was that Arma 3 is Steam exclusive... and truthbetold, I believe that it's a sign of things to come -- there may in fact be no going back from here on out for not just the Arma franchise but BI games in general.

Currently ArmA 2 still has a very active player base, which I think will continue to stay active until a year or so after ArmA 3's full release when all units have switched over to A3.

I myself and my community wont be switching over until full release with ACE/ACRE. Until then ArmA 3 just cant compete with the amount of content ArmA 2 has.

The ARMA 3 even with steam as a platform for distribution (even I personally don't like it) will grow.

The problem is Steam workshop and Valve EULA section 2 that will stop all the moders to develop projects for A3. If this is changed and steam workshop is dropped, there is a high chance that A3 will replace A2. Otherwise I don't think so and A2 will stay a platform of a choice for me.

The problem is Steam workshop and Valve EULA section 2 that will stop all the moders to develop projects for A3. If this is changed and steam workshop is dropped, there is a high chance that A3 will replace A2. Otherwise I don't think so and A2 will stay a platform of a choice for me.
Err, John_Spartan, you completely got that wrong... it's not "if Steam Workshop is dropped", because Steam Workshop for Arma 3 doesn't actually exist (yet in public)!

Lets put it like that - steam workshop idea is dropped and final clarity on valve's EULA regarding community made content is brought/stated by BIS.

These key factors will very quickly show will A3 replace or not A2.

Or there is another option - BIS in short period of time after A3 version 1.0 comes up with expansions/DLC with most of A2 content for A3. If these assets are brought in, game value will overweight A2 value in many peoples eyes.

Edited by John_Spartan

If the Steam Workshop "idea is dropped", then isn't Valve's SWS EULA irrelevant at that point since without SWS support it doesn't apply? To my knowledge, SWS support is something that can be added in after a game's gone "gold" (ready to release) unless a dev for another game can tell us otherwise? (By otherwise I mean "a game has to be designed with SWS in mind, it cannot be merely 'bolted on' later", I just want to know whether this is true or not.)

As far as "A2 content for A3" though... DnA has already mentioned that "We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed)" re: forward-porting Arma 2 content into Arma 3, unless you meant "a DLC that consists of Arma 3 versions of units/weapons/vehicles/equipment that appeared in Arma 2"? Oh good grief, I'm perfectly happy to leave the "modern warfare" setting behind in the past. :rolleyes:

Besides, we're supposed to be getting a full(er) suite of content for Arma 3 anyway, it's been stated clearly early on that alpha is the "infantry focus" period (hence so many placeholders for even light vehicle physics and handling), beta is when we get the heavy armor and heavier air power. I hope that this is what you mean by "if these assets are brought in", that A3's value will overnight exceed A2's in people's eyes once we've got the "2035 heavier assets"? Considering the "extended list" someone found in alpha files, I hope that what's been seen there is enough for you. ;)

The ARMA 3 even with steam as a platform for distribution (even I personally don't like it) will grow.

I actually just read this EULA section 2 for the first time. And I didn't really understand the exact meaning behind it since it's juridical gibberish, but I think I understand now why the modders don't want Steam Workshop.

I have always been a "fan" of Valve and Steam, but I'm slowly starting to change my mind about it. I guess Valve isn't that different from EA after all.

But then even if a game uses SWS, I don't think you have to use it. I mean there are mods for Skyrim but some of them can only be downloaded on third party sites if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Zerged

The whole point of modders' complaint was the concern over Valve having legal CYA for being able to make use of whatever got uploaded, even if it was stolen-and-uploaded by someone else; that is to say, the concern was that someone might only release on Armaholic for example but then of course someone could just upload it to Steam Workshop and then while the uploader of course would not have rights to it, Valve is believed to have legal CYA (through Section 2) for using that upload as they see fit.

Even with full content - final A3 version [armor, air, infantry ect...] in 2035 setting without DLC of A2 current content or good quality mods representing A2 "todays warfare" content. I don't think that A3 will be popular for long without modding community behind it, not for me at least.

In my eyes without similar amount of quality content available game wont last as long as previous ARMA games. And by quality content I mean, content made either by BIS [so it's a paid DLC] or made by all those people who already explained to you Chortles in other treads/discussions, wont do anything until steam Eula issue is solved. You can disagree as much as you want for the point of arguing.

For you maybe A3 is something that will replace A2, but looking at the interest on just released "todays" weapon mods, looks like people will want "modern warfare" setting back.

In my little universe, All my BI products are installed and in use. I love firing up ofp:r with some of the amazing addons (RHS and Toanl) and having a blast, runs like ben johnson on crack and meth on my i7....

Arma1 gets a go every now and then for the tropical setting, the 'other' sims starting with V bring a whole new world of content etc

For me i never 'replace' a BI sim, it just evolves into a library of different themed content for me to play as i wish.

If Bohemia puts as much effort into Arma 3 as they did with their past releases, I do not see why Arma 2 would not be able co-exist with a newer game. New doesn't always mean better.

A certain devblog made by Maruk suggests that Arma 1 was never meant to...

Arma III will replace Arma II slowly, if more content comes up. Currently many people still play A2, because it's good, because it runs nicer, because of all the content... I sometimes play Wasteland on A3, but regularly go back to A2. Also because of more love for Chernarus or Lingor...

If your used to really good ai and I mean ‘really good ai’ (modded) then you will be crying playing Arma3 at present, the ai is woeful.

This is something they really have to get to grips with, haven’t yet throughout the whole series, where standard ai are concerned, always had to rely on modded ai for great game-play.