tonic-_-

Virtual Ammobox System (VAS)

I'm not up to scratch with what's going on nowadays. Can someone explain... What have BIS been up to?

Note:

Virtual Ammobox System also known / dubbed as VAS made its release on 03-10-2013, Barely a week after the release of ARMA 3 Alpha to address the problems with the gear handling system for ARMA 3 at that time which was quite honestly horrid and beyond broken. Over time it has became one of the most single used script resources popular in casual co-op and armory missions along with other different types of missions but sadly due to recent events I feel Bohemia has made a cheese rat move and I really don't feel like supplying cheese to the rat if I get nothing from it like oh hey great tool we'll go make our own and make the name of it almost 100% identical to your system which is totally not a cheese rat move (sarcasm)... This could be considered the last update to VAS and possibly all of my stuff. I would like to thank everyone who has supplied feedback for VAS as well as submitted code changes to make VAS better, you guys are truly awesome and are the reason why I have released most of my stuff to the community so I thank you.

Just because a community member spent a lot of time creating something, that shouldn't stop BI from developing similar base features for the game. VAS is and was great, but BI's "WYSIWYG solution" is more user friendly.

ArmA has introduced, more fixed, their virtual arsenal for multiplayer usage.

Script Function

this addAction["<t color='#000000'>Arsenal</t>", {["Open",true] spawn BIS_fnc_arsenal}];

There's time and place for things. I think the BI VA loading is quite annoying though.

Virtual Arsenal, Virtual Armoury systems?

Obviously the admin who moved my original post felt I had oodles of time to trawl through pages upon pages of posts. TBH, I never even knew the 'Virtual Arsenal' existed. But, knowing what I now know it's obviously left Tonic with a bad taste in his mouth.

If it's any consolation Tonic, a scumbag named Mark Simmons who worked for the advertising agency 'Abbot Mead and Vicors' stole ideas from a script I wrote back in 1993 and produced an award winning 2 million pound television commercial. The scumbag even had the audacity to thank me for not copywriting my material when I quoted: "Every poet is a thief".

Well to be fair it's BI's job to upgrade it's obvious shortcomings. They'd be foolish not to. Even if it was a community member that opened their eyes to the realization that something snazzy needed to be done as far as gear menu(s) and the like. Also, unfortunately Tonic bless his Arma soul, isn't the only person who has a job to do and isn't the only person who likes to write code for things.

Idk, I don't see the big deal. VAS is still a wonderful asset and is still used. It's still a staple of nearly any mission. Forget about it and move on. Hell.. write something that trumps the new VA /shrug. Not that it's even that great IMO, with the whole loading thing. My 2C. Cheers.

Well to be fair it's BI's job to upgrade it's obvious shortcomings. They'd be foolish not to. Even if it was a community member that opened their eyes to the realization that something snazzy needed to be done as far as gear menu(s) and the like. Also, unfortunately Tonic bless his Arma soul, isn't the only person who has a job to do and isn't the only person who likes to write code for things.

Idk, I don't see the big deal. VAS is still a wonderful asset and is still used. It's still a staple of nearly any mission. Forget about it and move on. Hell.. write something that trumps the new VA /shrug. Not that it's even that great IMO, with the whole loading thing. My 2C. Cheers.

Yep, even if Tonic hadn't written the VAS, BIS would have inevitably came out with VA sooner or later. It's the very reason why patents have a time limit - it's the nature of the beast with innovation and creativity.

Never thought it'd be an issue when BI add a cool new feature. It's always the opposite; Why don't we have x or y? LOL.

Never thought it'd be an issue when BI add a cool new feature. It's always the opposite; Why don't we have x or y? LOL.

So what's next? An equivalent BTC Revive system? BTW, I've just added VA to my mission and so far I'm liking it - albeit aesthetically. I don't know if BIS have added the 'restriction' option yet but for me it's restrictions is a must have. The Nightstalker IMO is way too powerful, especially when locating Taliban snipers in Takistan. It kind of kills the whole gameplay.

Edited by Infiltrator_2K

It will eventually be decent. Right now it needs work / features. What I did check out I didn't care for. It wasn't very intuitive and the loading bit sucks IMO.

Hey Iceman, I know this is off topic but are you seriously from Fairbanks?

You could PM such a question, that way threads can stay on topic.

Anyone have VAS interfere with parameter text at mission load and/or have missing text in game on scroll or text on tabs for consoles?

I have been getting this as of late and not sure if its VAS or something else.

Anyone have VAS interfere with parameter text at mission load and/or have missing text in game on scroll or text on tabs for consoles?

I have been getting this as of late and not sure if its VAS or something else.

Same problem here.

Same problem here.

hey I just use the virtual arsenal now. just have to load after each respawn.

I don't know if this was already discussed here or not but I'd like to transfer my loadouts to another profile of mine. Is that possible?

I don't know if this was already discussed here or not but I'd like to transfer my loadouts to another profile of mine. Is that possible?

There is a file in your profile folder that contains ".vars" in the file extensions, copy that over to the new profile and then change the name as necessary. This file contains all the profile namespace variables that are and can be assigned by scripts such as VAS, so that in a sense, stuff like loadouts or even mission progress can be saved to each individual player's own profile, creating a level of persistence and global accessibility across servers.

thanks for the quick answer. I will try that. I just hope it'll work though because my main profile seems to be broken (all savegames make the game crash) and I don't know if it's the regular username.Arma3Profile file or the username.vars.Arma3Profile file

searched the thread but couldnt find answer.is restricted items/weapons and save/load gear work together ? i mean i saved and termal on mission A and come to mission B but in mission B's vas config termal's are restricted, what happens then ?

tried on editor and it seems working.you cant load restricted weapons.

Edited by enngerek

is there an easy way to disable all vests and headgear. i searched thread and find "uniform_base" to disable all bis uniforms, it worked ? is there some code like this for vests and headgear ?already tried "vest_base" and "headgear_base" didnt worked.

Edited by enngerek

Since yesterday (last game update !!), all items icon in VAS are black !!

I tried to fix it myself, but the path is ok in VAS script, the icon are OK in game files... then, i don't know what to do :(

Can someone tell me if they have the same issue, plz ? ;)

Yes, I have the same issue - the icons are obviously the icons of the individual weapons, rather than a big black square, but it's just a silhouette.

Good bye forums

Edited by Tonic-_-