Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

I think jumping is definitely something we can expect :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABZgJXp-Ts&feature=youtu.be

I am someone who originally rejected the idea of adding a Jump to Arma. That being said, this looks very promising. I just want to see a bigger stamina hit whern jumping, and no possiblity to shoot or do anything fancy when jumping. Also, maybe a little bit lower of a jump height. However, all in all, that looks good.

If the jump height is lower then it might as well not be there at all, considering he JUST clears the obstacles.

That looks all fair and good, but how will it look when there are no obstacles and he is just running and bunny hopping?

At least the way it is just now, while maybe not perfect, makes the player stop while it carries out the animation, making doing it while running not advised.

Mick. :)

When you walk and press the stepover key (default is V) you will play the step over animation as usual. If you jog or sprint, you will vault instead.

If you missed it it's from the thread I linked to on the page before this. Das Attorney put it in game.

Instead of discussing it, why not try it yourself and jump-jumparound?

I'm just trying to think of a time that I've needed to jump and since OFP days I can't really think of any. Getting stuck behind a 6 inch step is annoying as fuck, V should not even be needed here it's too slow when you should just walk over low obstacles - that's all that's needed, a mechanism to make you just run over them which would simulate jumping it without actually having too and means we keep the jump out of arma.

I have had need for climb/vault. So annoying to not get over a wall that is chest high.

The current jump is a great example of why I was asking for an "improved vault" over a jump. That just looks awful and there's no reason to use it over a vault-style animation except for people who want to hop around in the open.

The effort is appreciated, and it's better than nothing, but I hope that BI lets us vault over low obstacles rather than hop like that.

I hope that there will not be jump in this game. I truly wish. Bunny jumping soldier is so counter strike... :P

I think this game really needs jumping. In fact why not flesh out movement to be as full and realistic as possible?!

Jumping to get onto rocks that are just too high to walk onto making them 100% impossible to get atop of which is ridiculous.

Being able to jump from the pier and into a boat or between rooftops that are close together or just whatever you know would also be nice.

Anyone that thinks a game can't have jumping without bunnyhopping is crazy.

Say once you press "jump" an animation starts that you can't abort and you can't shoot or anything other than look around and the entire animation takes like 5 seconds and is purely for getting across small gaps -- not dodging bullets.

Pretty much like "step over" is today. You ever killed a man while stepping over? I doubt it, so stop being such negative asses about jumping. I think BIS are smart enough to be able to implement jumping well!

Climbing over walls that are too high to vault over.

Another feature I'm really missing is being able to "raise" yourself slightly when proning just so you can see above the grass without entirely changing your stance to that dumb sitting duck stance -- and being able to carefully peek above things when crouching.

Anyone played Metal Gear Solid 3 or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory?

In MGS3 you hold L1 to lean left, R2 to lean right and if you hold them both at once you "raise" yourself which is very effective for just quickly sticking your head up from the grass while proning to get a sense of what's going on around you without exposing yourself.

See 30 seconds into this clip and how he raises his head just above the grass even though he's crouched:

And 1:40 into this clip to see some cooperative climbing:

Splinter Cell isn't bad, right? It's a fairly realistic series. I think some off the more realistic Splinter Cell moves would fit well into Arma considering how co-op and stealth-oriented Arma is.

I'm not saying there should be agents but I'm pretty sure I've seen soldiers climb over walls in reality instead of having to go around the entire enemy camps or blowing the walls away.

Basically I think any realistic movement should be possible in Arma and people saying "Arma should be realistic" and "jumping is not possible" are greatly contradicting themselves.

But just like in reality jumping should not let you dodge bullets, naturally.

At least some of these features would fit better in the game than divers, right? ;)

Oh and it would also be nice if you could slightly press yourself against walls by moving against them instead of just having you stop right in your tracks but I think there's another thread for that.

Edit:

I think jumping is definitely something we can expect :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABZgJXp-Ts&feature=youtu.be

Now that's lovely. Having to start off by running to kinda charge it up and everything. Just what I was thinking.

Edited by Sneakson

V is fine as is. It works and we don't have soldiers bunny hopping all over the place and the game is far better for it. Does not need to have jump just because cod/bf3 have it or any other games for that matter.

V is fine as is. It works and we don't have soldiers bunny hopping all over the place and the game is far better for it. Does not need to have jump just because cod/bf3 have it or any other games for that matter.

Get me one single quote of a person in this thread saying they want bunny hopping in Arma. And if you can't find one then shut up.

Get me one single quote of a person in this thread saying they want bunny hopping in Arma. And if you can't find one then shut up.

No need to be rude like that lol.

He was simply stating his oppinion.

And just because people dont write they will abuse such a system, do you really think thats true? If so, you are very naiv :)

I also share that oppinion, no jump pls.

Vault is fine, but theres no reason to jump tbh, why use that amount of energi and expose your self so much, when 10/10 times you can go around, be much much safer and use the wall for cover.

I am also having a real hard time actually finding proof that soldiers in combat, are jumping a whole lot.

From what ive been able to read and hear from friends in the military, they dont, because of the exposure and because its safer to stay low at all times then be jumping around + 30-50kg of gear doenst help, makes it near imposible to jump over a 1m fence.

Hence the "walk over" animations we currently have.

Soldiers just dont jump all over the place, they step over stuff to preserve energy, so they dont get tired before they even reach the enemy.

Vaulting will be fine, if it takes a huge amount of your energy and you start breathing heavier, but it should not be something you can do every 5-10 seconds. To unrealistic tbh.

Edited by Byrgesen

I suggest you take your bad attitude back to whatever forums you came from. I'm not going to shut up because some ill mannered kid does not like what I'm saying.

I stand by everything I said, we don't need jump in Arma, V has worked perfectly fine and there's no reason to change.

And just because people dont write they will abuse such a system, do you really think thats true? If so, you are very naiv :)

Vault is fine, but theres no reason to jump tbh, why use that amount of energi and expose your self so much, when 10/10 times you can go around, be much much safer and use the wall for cover.

I am also having a real hard time actually finding proof that soldiers in combat, are jumping a whole lot.

From what ive been able to read and hear from friends in the military, they dont, because of the exposure and because its safer to stay low at all times then be jumping around + 30-50kg of gear doenst help, makes it near imposible to jump over a 1m fence.

Soldiers just dont jump all over the place, they step over stuff to preserve energy, so they dont get tired before they even reach the enemy.

Vaulting will be fine, if it takes a huge amount of your energy and you start breathing heavier, but it should not be something you can do every 5-10 seconds. To unrealistic tbh.

Well what do you think of the video on the last page? It's basically a vault except you can charge it up a bit by sprinting. Unlike Halo where you can jump two meters straight up in the air without having any momentum.

I think if it's kept like that there won't be a way to "abuse the system"... another thing could be slowing player movement down by 50% for two seconds after touching down after a jump so repeated jumping means you'll eventually have no forward movement. Not to mention stamina drain.

Well what do you think of the video on the last page? It's basically a vault except you can charge it up a bit by sprinting. Unlike Halo where you can jump two meters straight up in the air without having any momentum.

I think if it's kept like that there won't be a way to "abuse the system"... another thing could be slowing player movement down by 50% for two seconds after touching down after a jump so repeated jumping means you'll eventually have no forward movement. Not to mention stamina drain.

Something like that yes, that would be ideal. V while running normally should make the "walk over" animation, while sprinting should vault.

But it HAS to be based on the weight you are carrying. People with RPG and a big full backpack should not be able to vault as much (maybe not vault at all), as the sniper with no backpack and only 1 weapon, if you know what i mean :)

I deff dont wanna see all classes being able to vault the same, that doesnt make sense.

AT and EXP classes should have a harder time vaulting, simply because of the equipment they have with them.

Can we close this thread now? Totally useless now that we have V for a walking stepover and V for a running vault (in the mod). Seems to me that people are just using it as a CoD vs Arma standoff.

Come on moderators - do it and put us out of our misery.

We dont have climb yet ;) Some could argue it's all prince of Persia but I heard rumors about soldiers climbing...

list the variables (jump exposes you to enemy / jump is a waste of energy) and incorporated in arma3.

This is about freedom! the player will have the option to do so,(and die or get tired) in combat many things happen.

pd: I will repeat this a thousand times Do not compare the gameplay of other games and arma3, because gameplay in a massive map is not the same a tunnel or small map

list the variables (jump exposes you to enemy / jump is a waste of energy) and incorporated in arma3.

This is about freedom! the player will have the option to do so,(and die or get tired) in combat many things happen.

pd: I will repeat this a thousand times Do not compare the gameplay of other games and arma3, because gameplay in a massive map is not the same a tunnel or small map

FYI i was comparing to real life soldier, not another game...

I jumped all over the place when in the CDF but I must say I was not normal to what I seen I was very abnormal....jumping around with full FFO tho into a ditch at night broke my nose so there is jumping :)

Jumping (lets call it valuting) in Arma series would be welcome if only it was tested heavily and tweaked current FPS jumping is just so wrong....

NO. Dolphin diving.

That is something else entirerly..

thats not true

its not crap

at least if you can climb, this enables players to reach places that could not be reached before

i seen a free running mod for arma 2, its such a joke because of the physics

dont me wrong, it is a feat to make a mod over something spectacular

this game has no limitations, so please do not bring in cod of bf3 into discussion

arma is a completely different diamond, a diamond of its own

cod and others are useless metals with no real value

anyway with metaphors

implementing jump, you set new standards for a very well looking game

it even runs well, very well

so i dont see any issue implementing jump

except for the fact that devs and such are probably busy as hell and its not easy to add jump i would suspect

its just has so much variability because of these physics, this isnt ps3 mw2 crap physics

this is a game that is well done

get my drift?

the game is very polished, with new actions brings alot more work.

I think we can all agree that in real life - even with full gear - if somebody starts shooting at you and you have to get away, you're simply NOT going to stop and take 2 seconds to get over a tiny fence! you're going to use all the force you have to jump over that piece of shit as fast as you can.

I've seen some people mention here that you could make jumping only possible if sprinting or running, i think that's a good idea. Also since the game already has stamina in it why not make it so that when you jump you take even more stamina?

In any case the vaulting atm is so slow that it's just ridiculous and at the least we need a refined vaulting animation. It's just silly that it takes more than 2 seconds to get over anything that's about 1 meter tall. (it's actually around 2.3 seconds).

I think we can all agree that in real life - even with full gear - if somebody starts shooting at you and you have to get away, you're simply NOT going to stop and take 2 seconds to get over a tiny fence! you're going to use all the force you have to jump over that piece of shit as fast as you can.

While I agree with that scenario, that is not the only scenario in which jumping or vaulting should be considered.

The rest of your post I agree with so not quoting it all.