Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

BI games for PS4?

FPDR

I'm guessing the PS4 will have the specs of an old laptop. NO WAY it can handle A3.

Nope, the Console is nothing else as a PC. The PS4 will be shipped with a high performance setup. The PS4 keeps up with the most PC's in the Arma Community. You say NO WAY! But I say, the PS4 can handle Arma 3 EASY!!!

1. When bohemia find a good ps4 developer

2. If you have a good mouse and keyboard support for the PS4 (nice mouse driver). The mouse feeling on the ps3 was terrible.

3. When bohemia deliver us a good engine!!! We have only words for Arma3 and Alpha content (media). Please remember back to Arma and Arma 2 what they said us before the game was released. Sorry Bohemia, but the shadow sits deep in our players-heart, but you have one more chance :P At least you fixed the engine good, but you know, the first weeks was arma 2 not playable, to many bugs. And with such kinds of kick-ass-bugs where the game never allowed to publish with. The bugs could have been very easy to find previously (and a small team is not a apology) but now you have the modern "idea" with the community alpha and that's a good way.

I wrote one or two month ago a thread called: "We need the Alpha" or something like that. I wrote, that we need the alpha that we can see how the engine will works, that we can prepare us for mod creation and that we can find bugs (that was not 100%, how I wrote it). 1min. later a Mod from this forum wrote: "Useless Topic" then I wrote something like this: "I only wanted to write something to !!!THINK!!! about."; the topic was closed (And now the Thread is deleted or I can't find it). We will see if the topic was useless. And yes if my topic was useless, I am a happy Arma 3 Player from the first hour.

Back to the PS4 thing :P, it can work but only with mouse and keyboard. And in my opinion is the future of the gaming part of a console: That we get more games where PC-Players and Console-Players can play together.

That will be DayZ and Carrier Command for sure - arma 3 is PC exclusive so no - maybe later arma 4 :D

We're hearing some interesting claims from Anandtech -- while the onboard memory being all GDDR5 RAM sounds odd:

"with approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870."

"Sony claims the GPU features 18 compute units, which if this is GCN based we'd be looking at 1152 SPs and 72 texture units. It's unclear how custom the GPU is however, so we'll have to wait for additional information to really know for sure. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example)."

"Outfitting the PS4 with 8GB of RAM will be great for developers, and using high-speed GDDR5 will help ensure the GPU isn't bandwidth starved. Sony promised around 176GB/s of memory bandwidth for the PS4."

Interestingly enough, their title: "Sony Announces PlayStation 4: PC Hardware Inside"

Hardware-wise, I'm reminded of a "budget" build desktop -- possibly meeting the system requirements for Arma 3, but not necessarily at a "playable" frame rate. :p

I don't see any problem with a console port of ArmA, the problem is the PC port of console games.

In fairness, the latter has helped lessen the "drive to upgrade" :p but a console port of Arma is an interesting concept considering that:

#1: Anandtech makes comparisons to existing hardware that SHOULD be able to run Arma 3 -- if not very well.

#2: We'll have to see what they do about the whole controllers thing... more specifically, "right stick versus mouse" aiming, although people have (through products such as XIM3 or SplitFish devices) gotten their mouse into console shooters. :p The implementation of PlayStation 4 Eye tracking the default controller by means of the controller's light bar (instead of a separate/dedicated "wand" controller) is interesting... maybe someone could modify it into a headband and get us head tracking? Hahaha...! :D

There will be no ArmA series available on the PS4. If anything it will be part of the enterprise contract for VBS2 that the US Army have to develop their next training platform. If I could close this, I would.

There will be no ArmA series available on the PS4. If anything it will be part of the enterprise contract for VBS2 that the US Army have to develop their next training platform. If I could close this, I would.

And how do you know this ? Thanks god, it's still possible to discuss some ArmA subject on the forum.

And how do you know this ?

WILD speculation.

Can you elaborate on that?

DayZ up top. I'm not being entirely serious however and it is probably the gamertag/username

I hope this wasn't the only thing to come under 24h.

And why this thread is in Arma 3 and not in Bohemia Interactive General?

I hope this wasn't the only thing to come under 24h.

And why this thread is in Arma 3 and not in Bohemia Interactive General?

Good question. Moving it and renaming since it could be any game from BI for PS4.

I think that poster of 'supporting' game makers was just the people they approached for feedback about what game makers would like to see in a console. In other words, Sony has approach BIS for ideas about what the console should be and BIS didn't say go away. And they shouldn't, they will want to make games after ArmA3 and DayZ are out and about, so best to keep your options open, EVEN if it is a ArmA3 port to console. Like it was was said earlier, as long as we aren't going console to PC, and the PC games remain scaleable, all should be good.

PS4 won't be able to handle ArmA2 due to its weak hardware (there are laptops that are way more powerful) and you think it can handle ArmA3?

There are other games BIS develops too

metalcraze, sometimes i just wish A3 would land on PS4 to stop your constant elitist console bashing. You behave like a PC supremacist nazi.

Moreover, Elite has proven it's absolutely possible to port ArmA games to consoles. The question isn't to port ArmA2 or ArmA3, but to create a console version of them, such as Elite was the consolish version of OFP.

As long as it doesn't delay ArmA 3's development on PC or cause ArmA 3 to be dumbed down, then I say go for it.

Back on the Xbox 1, I bought OFP Elite because I didn't have a computer capable of running OFP on the PC (I had an old Pentium 2 machine at the time). OFP Elite did have a stripped down mission editor (which was pretty much useless), but the gameplay that I had come to know and love on the PC version was still more or less present. Also people figured out how to pass missions from the PC version over to the console version fairly quick, which was nice.

PS4 won't be able to handle ArmA2 due to its weak hardware (there are laptops that are way more powerful) and you think it can handle ArmA3?

There are other games BIS develops too

PS4 is a faster platform than 95% of current PCs. Not to mention, it would run ArmA 2 heaps better because of 8GB GDDR5 as the main memory. http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2013/02/21/amd/

Metalcraze, what have you contributed to these forums so that your trolling is not stopped yet? You'd create another account if an admin would get enough of your shit-talking?

1. PS has hardly 15% of controls that ArmA needs

2. PC exclusive

So, NO!

That didn't prevent OFP: Elite for the xbox. And I must say, it is still to this day, the best pc to console port I've ever seen...

Another article on PS4's PC interior - http://techreport.com/news/24387/sony-confirms-playstation-4-pc-guts

"At a press event this afternoon, the PlayStation maker said the fourth incarnation of its iconic console will use a "supercharged PC architecture" built around an AMD processor with eight x86-compatible CPU cores and an "enhanced PC GPU." According to Ars Technica, the CPU and GPU components will share the same die and will be linked with 8GB of unified GDDR5 memory. Storage will be handled by a mechanical hard drive.

Sony hasn't revealed the pedigree of the processor's CPU or GPU components, although it claims the latter is capable of pushing two teraflops—a little more oomph than the Radeon HD 7850. The memory interface purportedly delivers 176GB/s of bandwidth, which is slightly better than the reference-clocked 7850's 154GB/s. Keep in mind that the GPU and CPU will be sharing that pipe, though."

This certainly could handle ArmA III.

P.S. Per latest control scheme info, puzzle becomes clearer, though I would like to see someone use the ironsight on a target 500 metres down the range with a PS, or any other, controller. :cc:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

PS4 is equal to very fast highest end PC, it has most likely single die CPUGPU (so called APU) with 2x4 CPU cores each with one GPU

but maybe i'm wrong and it has just single core GPU, which would mean the GPU is monster (somewhere in range of HD7850+)

the GPU is on par with any highend DX11.1 and OpenGL 4.3 PC GPU ...

but because it allows unified computing (alike OpenCL) it can do more than just graphics (physics simulation w/o sweat)

both CPU and GPU have shared access to 8GB GDDR5 (which is same memory used in PC only for medium/high end GPU cards)

this gives the console not just huge bandwidth for I/O but also

the console has dedicated hardware chips for audio&video recording and streaming and playble

so the only question remains how fast is the hard-drive, cause IMO it must be SSD

This certainly could handle ArmA III.

Maybe but:

Not only is Arma 3 PC-exclusive

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/356-arma3-steam-dev-blog

Forget the speculations about PlayStation 4 version of #Arma3, the game is going to be Steam exclusive: http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/357-arma-3-will-be-steam-exclusive …

https://twitter.com/KarelMoricky

So its proofed it will be another title.

Edited by Raptor