Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

New VR Headest actually looks viable for average gamers

Maybe you could have a webcam facing your keyboard and have that overlayed on the display, so you can see where your hands are in relation to it.

That recursiveness would suck me into the Matrix.

http://www.gamer.nl/video/375205/daniel-speelt-met-de-oculus-rift-vr-bril

High resolution footage of the hardware and impresionante impressions 1 min into the video. face.gif

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

HO-LY shit!

Via http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15388

http://www.wolfire.com/

However, I have not given up on the idea of really immersive 3D virtual reality, which is why I decided to back the Oculus Rift Kickstarter. With our own Rift development kit, we will be one of the first to try out this new technology and see if it really can bring VR closer to its full potential.

Since Unity has already anounced support for the Rift, it shouldn't take long to integrate it into our Unity-powered game Receiver, once the dev kits are sent out in December.

To make it easier to deliver updates, and to bring the game to a new audience, we are also trying to get Receiver onto Steam using their new Greenlight service. To do that, we need your help: please vote for Receiver!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92927535

This,

GCThInmzjXw

And this,

UOrUAnmOXTA

Are made by the above studio/man. I can see indy Devs, such as the Creators of Amensia: Dark Descent, Penumbra and many others jumping on the bandwagon of this particular headset, if it's really that good. Needless to say, BIS better be on that same list!

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Like I said, VR band wagon is best band wagon. face.gif

Routine

Greenlight > Lunar Software's Workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92985806

Routine is a first person Survival Horror set on a abandoned Moon Base designed around an 80's vision of the future, Your job is to find enough data and survive long enough to uncover the truth behind the strange disappearance of everyone stationed on the Lunar Research Station.

Features

• A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
  • Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
  • There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!
  • Multiple endings based on what actions you take.

Lunar Software is an independent development team of 3 with sound and music from Mick Gordon. Routine is our first title that uses Unreal Engine 3, looking to release early 2013 for PC and MAC.

We are also looking to implement the Oculus Rift at launch, as we really believe that this horror experience will really make the most out of the headset!

You can always find out more from these places below:

Game site: www.routinegame.com

Company site: www.lunar-software.com

Twitter: @lunarsoftware

d9XrsWUO9sw

Frictional Games have set the standard for the genre with Penumbra and Amnesia, let's hope whatever comes next, employs the same winning formula of suspense.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

STOP the presses! Read all about it!

What the user actually sees while wearing it,

Told you the optics were epic: at point blank to the lens, you'd see the whole scene, including the weapon, though at the same time I'm not expecting to spot the actual screen edges - pretty fucking natural vision. WOW, the way he wields it in his hand, leaves the overall impression of the device being under 200 grams. Compare that to Sony's HMZ-T1 with 45 FOV, http://s3.gizmologia.com/files/2011/08/Sony-HMZ-T1-por-dentro.jpg

You impress Saudi Arabia, you impress the world. face.gif I can see Mr Luckey getting a monopoly, if he can pull this off.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

uMHmA.png

Wat? pokerface.gif

If Rift is that good, BIS will eventually notice it, since ArmA is arguably the best platform to hype this on, just like TIR was. Still, it would be sweet to have the official word on this. Perhaps, they received a private demo back at GamesCom?

I don't like exaggerating, but Arma 3 with oculus rift support would probably be my personal favourite anything of all time. That and Modernist Cuisine.

I don't like exaggerating, but Arma 3 with oculus rift support would probably be my personal favourite anything of all time. That and Modernist Cuisine.

I'm here to do all the hyperbole exaggerations for you. :)

If BIS wanted to fully support this particular HMD, then the rendering would have to account for the curvature of the optics, http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15417#p80690

Warp the render in reverse and the lens straightens it out.

Isnt it possible to have the gfx drivers to "warp" the image? That would be more convenient for all.

If BIS wanted to fully support this particular HMD, then the rendering would have to account for the curvature of the optics, http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15417#p80690

There's already a pincushion effect that can be applied as far as I know. Or maybe that's VBS2-specific, but in any case the possibility is there if not the technology already. But that optical effect won't be the thing that stops me using it, I already addressed those :)

Isnt it possible to have the gfx drivers to "warp" the image? That would be more convenient for all.

Yea, either engine specific, or global GPU driver. Nvidia's Stereo 3D Vision comes to mind straight away, and if the device as people describe it, then it will be race to the finish with AMD. :icon_twisted:

Would that be difficult for BIS to do?

As for seeing the controls, I personally don't need to. I know the buttons on my mouse, I know my Saitek X-52 config, and I'm pretty sure of my keyboard layout, and if it comes down to it there's the little raised nubs on F and J to navigate by. There's nothing near there you'll need urgently anyway. Controlling videogames in general, I feel like it's a re-routing of the parts of the brain that deal with coordinating your actual limbs, so when you're playing you don't think "I'll hit this button now to do this" you just think "I'll do this" and your body subconsciously knows to hit that button. Once you're used to the game, of course.

Would that be difficult for BIS to do?

Probably not, though a global solution by AMD/Nvidia through their graphics drivers is another alternative.

Details on Sony's HMZ-T2 - second generation,

brJHhsKvahE

Still no headtracker, same 720p OLED screens @ 45 degrees FOV, better ergonomics, no built-in headphones and reduced weight, compared to HMZ-T1.

Stick a TIR on it and it should work, though the deciding factor for me would be, whether or not the second gen has that frigging huge receiver-bypass box that Sony uses, which sends the signal to the HMD from PC.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Oculus recruiting for their R&D and production base, http://oculusvr.com/careers/

Rift at PAX Prime expo,

zNo8jNJBQXI

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

In flightsim: How do you get to a specific button or switch on your throttle quadrant?

In Arma: How do you issue AI commands without being able to see the keyboard?

For smokers: How do you bounce the ash into the ashtray when you can't see it?

I've tried earlier iterations, but I was not impressed, for those very reasons. It could work for simple games I guess, but at least I'm going to have problems in games with complex control schemes where I need to see what my hands are doing.

Flightsim = hotas. No problem for me to find the buttons without looking.

For arma = VAC.

Smokers. Only a problem for sir Smokealot. Nikotin chewing gum? Stop smoking? Pause the game for a smoke? Ash-bib?

For sure it will be a challenge in some circumstances, but worth it for sure.

Flightsim = hotas. No problem for me to find the buttons without looking.

For arma = VAC.

Smokers. Only a problem for sir Smokealot. Nikotin chewing gum? Stop smoking? Pause the game for a smoke? Ash-bib?

For sure it will be a challenge in some circumstances, but worth it for sure.

IMO if you cannot interact with real world also, then the gadget is more or less limited to arcade use, where you have all you need in one single handheld device.

In flightsim: How do you get to a specific button or switch on your throttle quadrant?

In Arma: How do you issue AI commands without being able to see the keyboard?

For smokers: How do you bounce the ash into the ashtray when you can't see it?

I've tried earlier iterations, but I was not impressed, for those very reasons. It could work for simple games I guess, but at least I'm going to have problems in games with complex control schemes where I need to see what my hands are doing.

Wait, there are people who actually look for the buttons on their keyboards and controllers to use them? Wow.

Wait, there are people who actually look for the buttons on their keyboards and controllers to use them? Wow.

You know, it takes about three months of continuous use for things to automatize themselves. Playing a key-combo intensive game like Arma... Not the ideal prospect.

Serious?

Though that'd be a viable suggestion for ArmA IV and not III, I'd say that a good VR software could enable players to issue commands by voice, increasing the immersion even more. Combined with a better action menu and a more streamlined interface, ArmA IV could be easily played with a HMD. I don't see neither an advanced VR or dedicated HMD support making it into ArmA III, but for AIV, who knows...

That´s awesome. So this toy can magical render our fat into chest muscles? A Dream come true!

Probably not, though a global solution by AMD/Nvidia through their graphics drivers is another alternative.

Details on Sony's HMZ-T2 - second generation,

brJHhsKvahE

I think I've tried one of those out in a sony shop. Definitely not worth £1000.

https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/career?career_ns=job_listing&company=EA&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH&rcm_site_locale=en_US&career_job_req_id=17373&selected_lang=en_US&jobAlertController_jobAlertId=&jobAlertController_jobAlertName=&_s.crb=S1JaSzAGXkWtkhCRH3y8DH5SZrY%3d

Career Opportunities: Master Thesis - VR Technology in Games (17373)

Requisition ID 17373 - Posted 03/01/2013 - Intern/Co-Op - DICE - Software Engineer - Stockholm - Stockholm - Sweden - Europe

Master Thesis: VR technology in games

Heh-heh. DICE made Mirror's Edge &, of course, the Battlefield series.

I'd love the Oculus Rift to get Arma support - I think it would be amazing and given that Arma 3 is already amazing I guess that would make it amazing^2 :)

Just wanted to add my 2 cents but I've said the bulk in THIS post.

In summary, Arma has the most important and basic support requirements (well-done HUD and independent head-tracking) needed to place nice with the Rift and I would gladly pay a premium (like I did with KickStarter to get my Rift) to see Rift support added to Arma III.

I ordered A Rift, can't wait to play with it, I'm not worried about the resolution, it's at 720p and that's not at all.