Sign in to follow this  
Vinsen

What would you like to see in ofp2

wow... their are about ten sites of wishes what ofp 2 should be like... if everything became true BI would need about 15 years to finish it and its size would become more than 50 gb... and in the end the people would have waited for it so long that nobody would want to play it... ok maybe one or two.. and me biggrin.gif

Let me just remind you that OFP is a game and is supposed to attract gamers. I think many, if not all OFP players would agree that a VBS type OFP would be great but it just wont happen because that would be crossing the borders of a game!

Any sequel to OFP would definatly need more veichles, aircraft etc but 300 like in VBS just wouldnt work, because many veichles are similar except for shape differences etc and it would be a waste! Another thing is that BIS are trying to market a game which would attract anyone interested in the FPS/Strategy genre and a piece of software that would allow you to make complicated missions with scripting language that takes hours to master and hours just to make a decent mission would not attract to everyones taste therefore BIS would loose money, hence the need of a ready made Campaign for the users enjoyment tounge.gif. Gamers want a strong ready made campaign. A VBS type game probably wouldnt offer this... after all it is a ''Virtual Battlefield System' and not a game.

Better AI. I mean you have to order solders to watch a direction or around, only then they will start to "turn heads." Maybe internal game logic kind of looks around but solders look like they are dummies, when they stand they freeze and look not real, like in wax museum. Make solders act more realistically when they are doing nothing.

Make solders more often run for cover (internal logics - give them fear). If real solders would act like in this game, they'd wouldn't last long. I find solders in the game to be too heroic. This is not a Hollywood movie, you struggle for simulation.

Plus I'd like to see some support fire by AI when someone from their team tries to go around.

One improovment would be to give to solders a character. And in editor you can select if a person is likely to be scared or more a fighter type.

Well, maybe I am not being clear. So just remember this: "Better AI."

Everything everbody else has said +

1)ATV's (3 or 4 wheelers)

2) Better looking character models.

3) hummers with mounted weapons

4) I like the idea hellfish had about commanding more units but how bout a new unit entirely. A radio operator or radio able to be handed picked up/dropped. Possibly he would be the only unit able to call mortar and artillery via map grids etc.

I'm sure there's more......

Edit -

5) make all weapons and vehicles available now also available in the next installment.

6) Linux server

7) Rappelling

8) a map with beach fortifications

9) a roll feature so when you are prone you can use your mouse to aim/turn and the a/d keys to "roll" to the side.

10) when standing you can run, when kneeling you can run but in a hunched over position intead of going up to a full standing run again.

11) a better aiming system for the m203. Even after the initial change it still sucks.

12) reload on the fly

13) support those new fangled 3 monitor jobs In case I win the lottery and can afford one

14) transport of vehicles within vehicles

15) a better mission editor which incoporates things alot of mission makers use on a regular basis such as boundaries.

16) better looking explosions

17) actual fields of corn/sugarcane/rice/soy/ or whatever the hell it is they grow on these islands

more too follow I'm sure....

I suppose i'll get more specific myself...

-smoother, more realistic movement, and more modes there of, i.e walking faster with your weapon ready, walking casually but without having to sling your rifle, etc.

-More user friendly urban environments, i.e. not bouncing off the walls when you run into them, smoother movement in buildings, etc.

-more up-to-date hardware, i.e. M249 SAW, maybe the M240B, the M24 SWS, maybe a silenced version as well etc.

-more detail on the infantry models, i.e. ballistic helmets, goggles, ballistic visors, knee/elbow pads, side pouches, radio compartments, etc.

-actual vehicle armements, i.e. m134 mini-gins on each side of blackhawk

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swilliams @ July 31 2002,08:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let me just remind you that OFP is a game and is supposed to attract gamers.  I think many, if not all OFP players would agree that a VBS type OFP would be great but it just wont happen because that would be crossing the borders of a game!  <span id='postcolor'>

NOT true. I want my games as realistic as they can possibly get. I'm in it for the experience.

- grass like DF1

- tunnels, trenches

- bunkers are destroyed too easy

- Fire LAW etc while lying or standing

- fixed collisions

- better animations

- better damage anim

Lets try to keep to the important stuff and not say stuff like rice fields, cows, more realistic birds, children and stuff...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snake Plissken @ June 21 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Better vehicle crash physics.  It seems like some cars collide properly only with specific other vehicles.

Ability to shoot out of vehicles.  Not very useful, but damn it would be fun.

General engine improvements.  Less clipping, more cities, better AI.

Oh yeah, and I think it'd be fun to have a more civilian-based game on the OFP engine.

and one more thing, PISTOLS biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ok... how many Snake's are in this forum??

i'd like to see alot of new vehicles

Wheeled APC, Choppers,

Buildings that burn or become ruined when hit with heavy cannon fire and not end up looking like crumpled paper.

Better framerate for the intense battles. That way Battlefields won't become looking like a slide show and I can hit something!

I have to admit, i love the idea suggested by some of you guys about a radio operator.

Those of you who have seen we were soldiers for example, the napalm fight, with the radio operator calling in airstrikes, and of course, getting one strike wrong....killing his own side, yelling battle reports back to base, requesting back up, calling a retreat.

If a dynamic campaign was made, id like the ability to retreat properly, but not have to restart the mission, simply carry on, only making things a bit harder because you failed the last mission. I know this was in OFP but it was scripted.

Being able to airlift weapons, have ammo/supplies dropped from the air, chinooks that can hold jeeps in the back that can be parachuted out, or driven out after landing. you get the idea, also the choppers used in nam, or the ofp day equivilent, so that troops cans be brought in and out of the hot lz's

For some reason i love being a medic, i think i got that from delta force land warrior. SO id like to have evac choppers to take away the wounded, or to be able to drive ambulances into battle to pull out men, and also use jeeps to do that. then race back to base/camp drop them off at a medi tent then race back for more.

wounded soldiers who cant walk anymore and theres no medic should not be going into battle. so id like the AI commander to stop including him in fire fights. i dont care how ramboesq that wounded soldier thinks he is wink.gif

The ability to surrender/drop you weapon and put up your hands. then its touch and go if the enemy will kill you or capture you. and obviously capture leads you to having to escape and get back to base, kind of like a sub mission in the campaign. however, the more times you are caught, the enemy will recognise you, and not let you away so easily.

Probably something that wont happen but would be nice, is torture, where yuo can chose to spill the plans you know like a wuss, or take a beating. a button bash would then be needed to take the beating/electrocutions, like in metal gear solid. and after a while, you are either busted out by a rescue squad, or be exchanged for a prisoner your side has caught. incedently that option would need to be made available, to capture enemy soldiers who surrender. and shooting a soldier who has surrendered gets you in trouble with your c/o. unless noones looking of course wink.gif

thats all i can think of right now.

I want:

Artillery

ability to shoot from vehicles (ooh! Drive-by shootings! smile.gif)

Ability to use snorkels on tanks

working SCUD launcher

Animals, come on, how about some hungry bears in the woods, or rabbid pitbulls.

standard ammo

better sounds, the pistols in Resistance sound like a toy. I want louder explosions.

and I'm sure someone already mentioned trains, if trains are too hard to make, then at least trams.

and most of all I want a storyline without the cliche of Russians being Satan. How about this; In a small nation run by an opressive dictator, you (the main character) get fed up with it and raise a militia. I also like the idea of a dynamic camaign, you can loose a battle but still win a war.And you could do this any way you want, like you can even kidnap the dictator's wife or daughter (or both).

That might be a little diffucult so I might just have to keep dreaming.

I´d love to see the following for OFP 2:

<ul>

[*] Modern scenario with according equipment.

[*] Engine supporting OpenGL.

[*] New, generally overhauled Infantry models, including quantitative as quality-wise reworked animations and model  to make it visually more realistic, like;

- Corrected Weapon body alignment; Hands-weapon, Head-weapon (aiming line), Shoulder-Buttstock.

- Corrected general infantry model standing position, i don´t know about others, but i don´t stand upright while my legs are O-wise bend sideways, while going into my knees.

- Better running animations.

- Revisited shooting positions and recoil animations; standing, crouched, prone.

- Reload animations, like actually seeing a new magazine inserted and the round properly loaded if the mag was shot empty before (*cough** cough*, <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>Americas Army</span> should be reference there).

- Re-done "Walking with weapon aimed".

- Patrol walking, weapon lowered walking slowly.

- High poly Infantry models, including chinstraps on helmets, better equipment detail on load bearing vest/harness (optimally you´d see what the character is actually equipped with, example: number of handgrenades, nvg, magazine pouches), Rucksacks for all (to increase equipment that can be carried, could be handled similar to storage boxes).

- Ability to swim.

- scope and iron sights animation if using a rifle with optics, like zooming in and out to/from the eye.

[*] Improved vehicles, including;

- more realistic driving physics

- ability to fire more than one weapon simultaniously from different crewstations, like an AA MG for the commander, several port- and starboard weapons from a helicopter.

- Vehicle doors and ramps actually opening and closing upon embark/disembark

- "Action Hud" replaced by more realistic interfaces, like radars for AA vehicles, Thermal/IR optics for tanks, as an example.

- functional LST, or even better an Tarawa class carrier including LCAC´s.

- Better damage modelling, both visually and physically, for vehicles.

- dirt, not only dust, kicking up when heavy tracked or wheeled vehicles move through grass or mud.

[*] Indirect fire system introduction (Artillery, mortars),  however, it shouldn´t be to simplistic like point&click on the screen.

[*] Realistic weapon behaviour, especially for Missiles.

[*] Improved visual SFX, such as explosions, tracers, bouncing tracers and other special effects.    

[*] Fixed clipping problems, indoor fighting more solid.

[*] More extensive and large interior building designs.

[*] High Res sky textures, better water textures, transparent in shore vicinity.

[*] Different seasons, like winter and summer, including snowfall, improved rain etc.

[*] Ability to choose your own character in multiplayergames, as for now you can only take what the mission designer put on the map before- if it´s 20 machine gunners, you´ll have to take one of those. The limitations for vehicles however should remain (made available and placed by the mission designer).

[*] Time fused handgrenades, not the impact ones.

[*] accessable structures below surface level, like trenches, foxholes, fighting positions.

[*] Something inbetween "dead" and "injured but ready to continue", like incapacitated. Could be usefull for MEDEVAC´s, you don´t loose squadmembers completely (and therefore their experience), but their service for 1 or 2 missions, as they need time to recover.

[*] Fully dynamic campaign, full player control over available forces at his disposal and mission selection. Player could allocate forces to missions, and select the mission objective(s), and how/when (time of day) the mission will be done. A realtime Jstars/ strategic/tactical map could inform the player about the forward line of defense of own an enemy troops.

[*] In reference to above points, a better worked out Role playing- and unit managing part. How about an CO field office/ Tactical Operation Centre with soldier dossiers for the single player campaign part, and options to manage your squad and select operations/missions yourself.

[*] Reward the player for good performance with medals and/or promotions.

Thats it for now  biggrin.gif

not sure if this is mentioned, but i want louder tanks sounds, tanks i believe are much louder than it is in ofp, i get runned over many times because of a dam tank sneaking upon me. i have my speakers up enought to burst my ear drums when ever i fire my weapon but tanks are very very silent....

I think the game is almost perfect 3 things i want:

1. Better AI, like someone said before make it fear for its life

2. Craters you can hide in and trenches and stuff like that...maybe have trenches as an object or something...digging one in the middle of a battle wouldnt be that great...also foxholes

3. Better building destruction

Okay well 4

More ammo...dont like going in to take out 3 platoons with 4 clips of ammo... Most of my levels you are against 3 platoons so....thats it the rest is fine.

I want the ability to bind different keys for vehicle use than from when you are on your boots wink.gif ...

the turn left, turn right keys are pointless for infantry but excellent for tanks and helos. its a pain having to rebind keys every time I get in a Helo or a Tank sad.gif ...

Been away from any ofp related for several months and ummm...nobody's asking anymore for jump jets, akimbo Desert Eagles, hear beat sensors?   wow.gifsmile.gif

Since almost everything I could think of is already mentioned in this thread i tried to list only the (IMHO) most crucial features/fixes:

1. AI

Shooting suppressive fire and also getting pinned down when shot upon, retreating, regrouping and making counter attacks.

2. Game mechanics

Indirect fire, simple mission generator which would generate sensible missions, chain of command.

Hand signals and shouted orders instead of that annoying radio buzz, no micromanaging every soldier in squad, just some simple formations, modes and orders.

3. Scenario

Focusing OFP a bit so it would present some particular scenario that would make sense. Preferably something with light infantry, APCs, helos, mortars involved so AI glitches wouldn't seem so bad. No armored divisions trying to maneuver through small villages or A-10s colliding to treetops.

4. Making different infantry roles more interesting

Jamming and overheating weapons(mgs at least), realistic AT weaponry and damage modeling for vehicles.

GuyKorn, you want :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">23.  more blood (option to turn on and off)

24.  more gore (option to turn on and off)

<span id='postcolor'>

OFP is realistik game... a men can't have 10 liters blood... just 5... also, blood is ok in OFP now (and gore too).

Vladimir

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ Aug. 05 2002,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- dirt, not only dust, kicking up when heavy tracked or wheeled vehicles move through grass or mud.

[*] Different seasons, like winter and summer, including snowfall, improved rain etc.

[*] Time fused handgrenades, not the impact ones.

[*] accessable structures below surface level, like trenches, foxholes, fighting positions.

[*] Fully dynamic campaign, full player control over available forces at his disposal and mission selection. Player could allocate forces to missions, and select the mission objective(s), and how/when (time of day) the mission will be done. A realtime Jstars/ strategic/tactical map could inform the player about the forward line of defense of own an enemy troops.

[*] In reference to above points, a better worked out Role playing- and unit managing part. How about an CO field office/ Tactical Operation Centre with soldier dossiers for the single player campaign part, and options to manage your squad and select operations/missions yourself.

[*] Reward the player for good performance with medals and/or promotions.<span id='postcolor'>

YES YES! I would love those, and the rest of what Satchel says too. (like Satchel says, a campaign where you pick all the objectives, waypts etc, SEE Spectrum Holobytes Tornado ©)

I will add some with time:

[*] Your AI really learing from battle and choosing weapons accordingly. AI should learn things like what kind of battle they usually see, and pick up different weapons when needed. When u are the commander, there should be an option AUTO-REARM for each soldier under your command, so they can take weapons as they please, choose better from their experience in the field.

[*] Visible skill amount in AI selection, if AI can learn a little through combat, perhaps their skill should improve and you should know what level it's at.

[*] Tripping, your man should fall at times, by accident, causing damage. biggrin.gif

[*] Jamming, weapons should jam at times, forcing you to remove the magazine, replace it, reload.

[*] Weapon damage, weapons should have their own damage value, causing you to repair them between missions in campaign. Decreased performance with wear.

[*] Funded campaign, where you have some resources coming in depending on the objectives you meet (like take over weapons factories or mines). This would allow you to putchase or manufacture your weapons.

[*] Stealing weapon blueprints... etc etc.

(To think of it... kind off a Jagged Alliance strategy thing for the above)

[*] Vehicle ownership information for commander. A list of vehicles, their info, weapons inside, persons inside, all in the notebook, under new section. Only for vehicles your squad currenlt posesses.

Yes -- I would like that... Additionally, I would like to have a K-Bar, or Bayonet to use as a weapon for those sneak in or parachute in and steal weapons scenario's that can be made in the mission editor. Not to mention the program Oxygen, and their, (BIS/Codemaster’s) other tools that would allow us to more-readily make 3d objects ourselves for introduction into the game. At least a GMAX toolkit or contemporary conversion routines to and from P3d... I'd like to try out an idea I've had for Nuclear Hand Grenades. Ya chuck um, and run like hell... Just kiddin. My Best to all. Uncle

hehe you guys dont know bout this do you?

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystem.com/

well heres my $.02,

-Soldiers actually use buildings for cover, and know how to clear it out. (ie covering when going up stairs, or into a room use the kneel some when covering a stairwell. Will get up against a wall instead of spread out and exposed when rounding corners. And they don't do this jerkily but smoothley)

-Peaking around corners (soldiers will use it too, in and outside buildings)

-Better building models (like part of the building blowing off depending where you it and with what)

-A working aircraft carrier

-smarter combat mode ai (won't run thru the middle of an open field, but will choose their targets depending on the situation, may wait.)

-Rivers, ponds, creeks, and those plants you find by those places that remind me of corndogs. River rocks too.

-Better enviornmental sounds, like very long realistic sounding loop that blend with where you are. (ie near a creek you hear running water, forest you hear squirrels and birds, meadows you hear a slight breeze, and grass swaying, and different sounds at night (crickets)

The very good sound will immerse the player in the game.

I'll post more later.

-Quicksilver

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ June 22 2002,02:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Real water.  I want creeks and rivers and ponds.  I want to be able to cross water on foot without dying.<span id='postcolor'>

Hella yes, unless someone hasnt pointed this out, but to have the ability to swim or properly wade through water, wade animation would include soldier lifting his gun in the air so it doesnt get wet, awesome stuff like that.

Also, one thing I think we can all or mostly agree on is still keeping the speed changer 1x 2x 4x, and lastly, the ability, at the push of a button allow a small cutscene come up showing your men putting up a small campsite, for those long walks.

If anything, PLEASE keep the editor, and the availability for scripting, and everything about scripts and languages.

cheers  biggrin.gif

2 more things

buildings are shoot through-able holes and the such.

to have way more than just 3 blood textures on a model confused.gif

Heres my .02

-Better ballistic system (Ie rounds penetrating soft targets, bouncing off things, accurate measurments of velocity, weight, angle, ect. ect.)

-Deformable landscape

-Use of the latest EAX including occlusion ect. ect.

-No crosshairs (see below)

-Fully functional 3d weapons with animations and iron sights (IE instead of pulling up an alpha image, use the 3d model for aiming)

-Improved collision detection

-More emphasis on armor

-Vehicles/Armor/Air/Sea don't blow up and don't have any kill point value. Use actual armor to calculate kills. Secondary explosions, ammo blowing up, ect. ect.

-Ability for multiple gunners per vehicle including "shotgun"

-Improved tracers, include realistic tracers for small arms, and tanks. I want to see the big 125mm and 120mm shells flying past me

-More robust lighting

-Bigger maps, I want to see something the size of 39 Palms be able to be made

-More robust shrubs/trees

-Grass

-Improved textures

-Rolling terrain

-Improved AI (IE they aren't dependant on you. You tell them to do something, they will do it in a safe manner without having you to hold their hands)

-Improved gravity

-More realistic helo/tank/plane movement (More sim than arcade)

-More optimized code to run the engine better with Geforce/Radeon cards

-More things to do with grunts, such as setting up a camp (fox holes, sandbags, tents, ect. ect.)

-Robust explosions (Instead of explosions being simply just one animation make several such as explosions in water, dirt, rock ect. ect. I want to see dirt fly up in the air much like in MOHAA)

-More optimized netcode

-Even more motion capped animations

-more vehicles

-more uses for support vehicles

-Robust soldiers (Soldiers of different size, weight ect. ect.)

-More services, USMC, Air Force. (Don't just include standard army

-Different units, rangers, force recon ect. ect.

-realistic water

-Vehicles that arent made to traverse water don't blow up when they go in it. Engine dies and the vehicle will be stuck

-More indoor environments

-More road types, high ways, ect. ect.

-More realistic weather effects (rain is fine) IE lightning, snow, wind effects)

-Models such as trees and shrubs react to a virtual wind

-Better lights (Instead of the blocky texture)

-More use of per-pixel shading/bump mapping/environment mapping/vertex shading

-Improved shadows

Well, just my .02

And no, this didn't take me very long to write : )

wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Quicksilver @ Aug. 22 2002,23wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe you guys dont know bout this do you?

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystem.com/

Quicksilver -- is this the on-line training-simulation program that was announced on the news lately -- developed for/by the military, and could be used by anyone?  In any case your link to the Virtual Battlefield System project looks and sounds like something I'd want.  Can't wait for more posts on this.  Thanks Uncle