Sign in to follow this  
Vinsen

What would you like to see in ofp2

I was actually making a list of all the suggestions here i agreed with (+my own) that i was going to post but by the 27th page of this thread(!tounge.gif ) it had become a stupidly large,complicated and difficult to organise list.

So ill give just a few basics and underlying themes from my list.

Todays idea is....

Maximum realism. I mean it.

Make it beautifully, stupidly ,scarily, unreasonably , system demandingly, smell of napalm in the morningly realistic.

Basically as much of a leap from the present as the last OFP was.  smile.gif

The key here is CONFIGURABILITY. Maximum realism and Maximum popular arcade action all in one package. How you might ask?

Options,options,options. Its the future ya know..

e.g.

---------------------------------------------------

DIFFICULTY-REALISM  SETTINGS

[Expert/Easy mode -- X/-

+{realistic physics system --enabled/disabled

*{realistic inertia model --enabled/disabled

*{realistic flight model --enabled/disabled

*{realistic ballistics model --enabled/disabled

{realistic structural damage model --enabled/disabled

*{realistic object penetrability --enabled/disabled

{realistic (human) injury model --enabled/disabled

{realistic thermal model --enabled/disabled

+{realistic weapon systems --enabled disabled

*{advanced weapon controls --enabled/disabled

*{realistic aircraft avionics --enabled/disabled

*{realistic weapon system automation --enabled/disabled

+{combat AI--simple/advanced/super AI {+ custom}

*{air  AI--simple/advanced/super AI

*{ground  AI--simple/advanced/super AI

*{naval  AI--simple/advanced/super AI

*{civilian AI--simple/advanced

{advanced orders --enabled/disabled

+{realistic sound model --enabled/disabled

{Graphics --high/low

*{dynamic lighting/shading --enabled/disabled

*{object model detail level(as now)

-{near      1<----[]----[]----[]--^-[]---->10  

-{medium  1<----[]----[]--^-[]----[]---->10  

-{far        1<----[]--^-[]----[]----[]---->10  

*{view distance  

-{terrain   1<----[]----[]-^--[]----[]---->10 {+}

-{objects  1<----[]----[]----[]--^-[]---->10 {+}

*{sprite detail  --high/low

etc it would continue at greater length and in greater detail

-------------------------------------------------

People with lower end systems could turn down the options they least need or notice. In fact instead of 'enabled/disabled', many or most of those options could scalable.

If someone was a flight sim fan they could turn up the flight model and the view distance (and turn down ground detail?)

and turn up all options relating to air based (A-G, A-A, G-A)

combat (for air based missions obviously),

and similarly if someone was more a ground war enthusiast they could turn down the flight realism options ,turn down the view distance somewhat (and up the detail level?) and turn up the ground related options

etc

must sleep --hnrrgh

I can't say it enough, "Backwards compatible.", I know anything BIS comes out with is going to be good, I think the most important thing is backwards compatiblity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just put them all to enabled <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, and break my computer... confused.gif

And 8 billion percent realism, eh? Why don't they make it so you have to go and learn how to fly a jet fighter in the real world so you can fly it in the game? Then have stuff like having a broken limb and having to wait out practically the whole game for it to heal. And instead of skipping days, let's have it a continuous game with no saves, or pauses, since you can't pause or save in the real world. Not to forget the one time only playability with no chance of playing it ever again if you die and you can't reinstall the game...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Skul @ April 23 2003,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just put them all to enabled <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, and break my computer... confused.gif

And 8 billion percent realism, eh? Why don't they make it so you have to go and learn how to fly a jet fighter in the real world so you can fly it in the game? Then have stuff like having a broken limb and having to wait out practically the whole game for it to heal. And instead of skipping days, let's have it a continuous game with no saves, or pauses, since you can't pause or save in the real world. Not to forget the one time only playability with no chance of playing it ever again if you die and you can't reinstall the game...<span id='postcolor'>

Those kind of jokes aren't funny any longer. Excuse me for prefering realism.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (moerty @ June 22 2002,21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i know bigger maps have been stated before but i would like something a bit more ambitious, say all of europe including scandinavia and russia all the way to siberia. or i'll just take a full map of europe, it's got an enough varied landscape to have a battle in any environment.<span id='postcolor'>

I always thought this would be a good idea. What would really kick ass is if there was only one map, but it wouldn't be a map it would be the whole world. He He just think capture the world multipalyer games. wink.gif

Why dont BIS create a MassivelyMultiPlayer Utopian version of the whole universe in which everyone can attack each other with ultra cool megadeath cannons but noone ever really dies and in which peoples ideals instantly become reality

that we can all go and live in?

mad.gif DAMN THEM TO HELL THOSE SELFISH

CZECHS! mad.gif

I WANT MY DAMNED UTOPIA!

withstupid.gif

Throwing in the thing that's been (somewhat..) bothering me in OFP: there is really no true interaction in some missions and definitely not between missions.

To get my point through, I'd like to have the possibility to avoid things like discussed in this thread:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....16;st=0

More player intervention in the missions and campaign! Get rid of the "what's scripted is scripted" -thing. If something is about to happen, it can be scripted but it would be nice if player could intervene in the situation (example, like destroy the tank that's supposed to destroy your squad truck).

...or another example; you should spy an enemy general in their base. The next missions, after a cutscene, is the escape part to get out of the base. The base is alerted when you start next mission. You have however set up some explosives near enemy tanks. You start running away and destroy the tanks.... Now in OFP-1 this is not possible; the explosives simply are not there anymore in next mission.

As I would like to see the thing is that there should be no separate missions; only objectives which change between the war/campaign. What's destroyed is destroyed and it stays destroyed throughout the campaign!

Anyway, see the thread I posted.