Sign in to follow this  
Mongose123

Jets physics

Hello, I've just been wondering to what extent will the physics for jets be improved in arma 3? There has been no footage of jets in action accept one or two pictures and I'd love to find out how they will handle.

Actually, I'm certain there is footage of jet's in flight. Looked just like A2 from what I recall.

There's your answer. Someone might have a link.

OH yeah I remember that video. I really want to know are jets going to be the same level as helicopters, in the sense that are they going to have the same cockpits as TOH models?

BI has made no mention of Jet physics yet as far as I know. They will be using Take on Helicopters flight models, but since there is no Take on Jets, they won't be adding that flight model. Maybe they will upgrade the current jet flight models it, maybe not.

Check the most recently released footage showing helicopters.

Helicopter interiors are the same as in TOH from what I can see, altough the ability to press buttons and the like in the cockpit won't be possible I think.

There has been no footage of jets in action accept one or two pictures

This is from Gamescom 2011. :)

...they will be using Take on Helicopters flight models...

Afaik they are only considering it.

Afaik they are only considering it.

Developer confirmed that the Take On Helicopters flight model will be in the game.

Take On helicopter flighmodel WILL BE also in Arma3. Now I can safely confirm it will be also in campaing and it will be DEFAULT flightmodel for ALL the helicopters.

Hoping they add an option to simulate Extreme G forces on the player, being knocked unconscious or blurring vision when you pull off crazy maneuvers like what ACE 2 implemented.

it is confirmed that it will be default tkoh will be default flight model for A3

nin'jas

Would the TOH flight model actually have any effect on jets?

No, but someone was asking about the helicopter flight model, so that's how the discussion shifted. I think the airplane flight model would probably be the same or very similar.

Could a dev confirm that fast-movers will have more hit-boxes (engine, hull, weapons,..) then arma 2?

Yeah, would be great if jets have something like left wing, engine, etc. hit points.

I hope for a complex Helicopter damage model more then Jets.

Would be awesome if the main rotor would fall off or break apart when in contact with tress or walls etc

Since they are using the system that TKOH uses, it will..I can tell you that from personal experience with trees and buildings in that game.

Since they are using the system that TKOH uses, it will..I can tell you that from personal experience with trees and buildings in that game.

I freaking hope so.

Nothing more is satisfying than shooting off a wing of a fighter jet in in a dogfight and see it go into a spin, then crash into some building. +101 Killstreak. :icon_twisted:

OH, oh! - EMERGENCY LANDINGS without gear* - this one is a close second on the EPIC list. :cool:

*Just remember to dispose of any and all munitions prior to attempting this. ;)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

It's possible, Franze uses such a system in his SU-17 in Arma1 and 2, and when the wings take damage the aircraft becomes less controllable, however the geometry is still there so if you clip into something you'll have an invisible gap. And of course the unfortunate issue of damage=explosion at relatively high speed.

However I was referring to the rotor blades from TKOH.

It's possible, Franze uses such a system in his SU-17 in Arma1 and 2, and when the wings take damage the aircraft becomes less controllable, however the geometry is still there so if you clip into something you'll have an invisible gap. And of course the unfortunate issue of damage=explosion at relatively high speed.

However I was referring to the rotor blades from TKOH.

Can the whole tail section of a helo in TKOH be ripped off in a collision? Rotor blades are just components, extend such concept to jet wings, ailerons, tail and gear and you have awesomesauce.

Wings, tail, gear - which are destructible - around a main sturdy hull -- please make it so. :icon_twisted:

p5g3hVIqmi0

(Skip to 8:08 in the video)

We don't need uber1337 fire geometry modeling inside these aircraft/vehicles, just lego-like destructible components. :cool:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I doubt they'll be implementing those Black Shark-style fireworks. I think it would be possible to extend airplane hitpoints beyond simple "Hull." I really don't want to be able to crash a C-130 into a tree at 100 kph and be totally fine in ArmA3. Jets need to be much more fragile than they are now.

Can the whole tail section of a helo in TKOH be ripped off in a collision?

Not that I know of, and regardless of the move to physX3 I don't think we'll be seeing more dynamic destruction out of the box but who knows.

Edited by NodUnit

Really happy about ToH flight model being default. Now we just have to wait for Take on Planes for proper flight simulation. :P

I wonder if the flight model for jets will be improved though because at the moment they don't move very realistically or even get to realistic speeds. Actually think I remember someone mentioning something about plans to make jets actually capable of supersonic speeds in A3 but I can't remember the source so it might have been BS. I'll post it here if I can find it.