Sign in to follow this  
ruhtraeel

Anyone else wondering what machine they are using to run all these gameplay videos?

Just curious to know what specced machine they are using to run the game in the trailer videos. Someone at E3 should ask lol

Here's to hoping I can max the game:

i5 2500k

Crossfire 5870 1GB

16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

250 + 160GB 7200RPM HDD

I can max ARMA 2, hopefully this game will be optimized better so I can at least run it as well as something like BF3 (Maxed with no AA)

i herd they where using the google to process the graphix and game!1!wanwan

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone knows, but I would be interested in knowing also.

This is just a thinly veiled 'will my pc run ArmaIII thread.

Just curious to know what specced machine they are using to run the game in the trailer videos. Someone at E3 should ask lol

i7-2600, GTX 560, 8GB, SSD

Woohoo! that's definitely affordable and i already have those specs, don't have to worry about that at least.

Sounds almost exactly like my system. Sweet! :D

I can max ARMA 2, hopefully this game will be optimized better so I can at least run it as well as something like BF3 (Maxed with no AA)

Sure, you might be able to "max" the video settings by setting everything to Very High. But can you set everything to Very High with the view distance maxed with a very, very large battle going on around you for hours on end? I doubt it.

Hooray! A BI developer answers for us all.

Thank you very much

And also a big hooray for modest specs.

EDIT: Ugh... I hope an SSD doesn't have too much of a performance difference from a normal HDD in this game

I like my hard drives from 2003

Another drive = another layer I have to add to my Lego rack which stores my drives

Edited by ruhtraeel

Surely the final game with the highest res textures, everything maxxed and AA on would require a GTX 680 to hit 60FPS average though yeah?

It was used to make trailers, so clearly its hardly an exact stress test. Setup scenes, no large scale MP battles, and so on.

gtx 560 huh? i would've thought they'd at least be using a 580.

Yeah not a whole lot going on in those vids. I'd like to see a decent sized battle with those specs.

surely the final game with the highest res textures, everything maxxed and aa on would require a gtx 680 to hit 60fps average though yeah?

You are very optimistic. It will be futureproof as always.

Indeed. Never expect to max out an Arma game, especially directly upon release. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just learn to live with the settings you can reasonably achieve and stop fixating on "maxing everything out".

Here's to hoping I can max the game:

i5 2500k

Crossfire 5870 1GB

16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM

250 + 160GB 7200RPM HDD

You can max it. It'll just run like shit.

Why do people always want to "max" games? It's just some limit on a setting a developer has thought of as reasonable, not a technical limit.

When arma 2 came out hardly anyone could max it out. I doubt anyone at all will be able to max this game out.

High expectations are bad try to compromise for your own good people.

Why do people always want to "max" games? It's just some limit on a setting a developer has thought of as reasonable, not a technical limit.

Because ports of console games with 7 years old graphics spoiled people since you can max out any console game at any mediocre PC for many years now. So if they can max out crappy console graphics they expect they can max out PC-exclusive graphics that are not made with current hardware limits in mind so a game won't look like crap years later.

I just always assumed that they would Max out graphics in trailers. Tbh I don't care if I can max it out, but I at least want to run it at the settings in the trailers, regardless of what they are.

Still, someone at E3 should really ask what rig they are running there.

EDIT: Ugh... I hope an SSD doesn't have too much of a performance difference from a normal HDD in this game

I like my hard drives from 2003

It makes a huge difference from what I've heard from all 3 people I know that have an SSD. They said you can enter towns in ArmA 2 without massive stutters.

It makes a huge difference from what I've heard from all 3 people I know that have an SSD. They said you can enter towns in ArmA 2 without massive stutters.

Really? I didn't notice too much stutter from using 7200rpm drives

Maybe I'll steal an SAS 15000rpm hdd from my dad's company haha

What kind of view distance do you think they were running with at E3? Overall I thought the graphics and FPS looked pretty good. high shadow/clutter draw distance, nice lighting, no stuttering when zooming in, and I couldn't really see and annoying LOD changing, though it would have been hard with the video quality. But I wonder how that rig will handle when a real battle goes down with a 100 or so ai...

Yeah I heard it had a huge impact too. not so much on FPS but on LOD switching, "smoothenes" and what not. Ie. if you sprint up to a house with an SSD the LOD transitions will be smooth and instantaneous, whereas without one, especially in the middle of a firefight, it might take a few seconds for the house to switch LODs. But I don't actually have one as of yet, but definitely planning to get one by the time A3 rolls out.