Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

WOW! am I the only one that see this as a bed omen for this community who supported OFP/ARMA series all these years ie hard core military sim players. One by one all the real military sim games over the years altered the core gameplay to capture a big piece of the pie (market share). What makes you think bohemia will not go down this road after what is going on with DAY Z. A few years ago I was lobbying for an ARMA port to the xbox and got raped by most of the community. Telling me how that would destroy the community and bring in all the run and gun little boys and girls. WTF who the hell plays with zoobies.

And I´m with kdjac here. Being elitist tightbums will only serve to alienate the newcomers. Milsimmers aren´t born, they are made: either by personal military experience, or by being shown that playing in such a tight and unforgiving environment is the most supreme, enjoyable kind of fun.

The problem though, is that most of these new people come from Left 4 Dead, Battlefield, or Call of Duty and think that they are the elitists around here. The ArmA community has been fine for Bohemia Interactive all these years. With each military simulator genre game that Bohemia Interactive releases, people buy it because it is a military simulator. Most of the new people right now aren't buying it because it's a military simulator, they are buying it because they want to play a zombie mission. Sure, some of the new guys are ok, but from what I've encountered, most of them are assholes. It's my personal opinion. I'm not trying to sound elitist, it's just the cold hard truth.

Yes, congratulations to Bohemia Interactive. But now the community gets to put up with the riff raff. I'm sure it won't last too long though and the better players will last it out and stick around.

Edited by Nicholas

Meh, I think Bohemia's captured lighting in a bottle with this and I welcome the new players. You gotta remember, these 'kids' (BF3/Cod123...) are digging this game despite no end game, excruciatingly long waiting times, hours of walking/surviving, without contact and from my little experience pretty willing to team up and help each other. All that with no respawn ! If these 'kiddies' were so ADD horrible, they wouldn't put up with slow pace of the game period. Zombies be damned. I've been in countless coop with real 'milsimmers' and they were rude as fuck or rarely say a word -why play online?!?

People find this refreshing as your 1 life really matters and and thats a new sensation to many gamers from different backrounds.

Edited by froggyluv

I'm guessing the DayZ people will be a lot better then the Arma 2 Free people

DayZ players

- Paid for the game

- Are willing to wait rediculous amounts of time for a slot on a server.

- Are willing to run around for several hours without seeing a single human player and still have fun.

- Are willing to play a game that you can die, lose everything and have to start all over again within minutes of joining.

- Are willing to give the Arma engine a shot to get their zombie fix.

The Arma 2 Free players paid nothing and many of them only downloaded it because it was free.

The majority of Free players are decent enough, the problem is that it only takes 1 or 2 dipshits to trash a server in Arma

unlike Battlefield were a couple of aimbotters or asshats doesn't really do much to ruin the gameplay, with basic teamwork

and communication you can mop the floor with aimbotters.

... Sure, some of the new guys are ok, but from what I've encountered, most of them are assholes. It's my personal opinion. I'm not trying to sound elitist, it's just the cold hard truth.

Opinions aren´t truth, they are opinions. There is a difference between the kids and the adults who play these games. And, with anything, you gotta sort the wheat from the chaff. Obviously, there will be unsavory people among the new ones. That shouldn´t deter the community from welcoming the new people, because like I said, among them may be people who in the long run could turn out to be really valuable to everyone playing the game.

Opinions aren´t truth, they are opinions. There is a difference between the kids and the adults who play these games. And, with anything, you gotta sort the wheat from the chaff. Obviously, there will be unsavory people among the new ones. That shouldn´t deter the community from welcoming the new people, because like I said, among them may be people who in the long run could turn out to be really valuable to everyone playing the game.

I have been respectful to every player I've come across, but not all of them have been respectful to me. As I said in my post above, I'm sure it won't last too long though and the better players will last it out and stick around.

And from my personal experience, my opinion about it is the truth.

I have been respectful to every player I've come across, but not all of them have been respectful to me. As I said in my post above, I'm sure it won't last too long though and the better players will last it out and stick around.

100% agree with that last part of what you said. Being a new player to Arma 2 I am eager to play and learn with fellow players and make good friends. The thing with a game when it rises so fast is what people mentioned, EVERYBODY is attracted to it. Meaning all the rude and immature players will join and harass other players, but eventually they die out and the hardcore fan base will stay to keep the community stronger. I still think its a great thing that the game is gaining so much momentum on Steam at the moment and other places, hopefully Bohemia will help out more with the mod that I would say helped with there sales.

http://arma2.swec.se/server/list

First page - 30 DayZ servers, roughly 50 players each totaling 1500 people playing DayZ out of 3258, who are currently online in ArmA multiplayer. That's only the first page.

I view this as build-up to ArmA 3, since these type of viral mods expose the general PC gaming community to the genre of military simulation and they raise awareness about alternatives in a very saturated, even stale, market. The numbers with respect to DayZ can double in ArmAverse 3, provided the game delivers on expectations; some may even discard their zombie fetish and enlist to cohesive military formations with everything that it implies. ;)

P.S. http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3409

Pandemic Legion is a cohesive online 'corporation', 'squad', 'clan' from EVE Online. I am of the same breed, though not of the same corp.

They are only interested in PVP and player interactions in a given universe, and I don't see people staying here for long, unless certain base aspects of PVP mechanics are changed in ArmA, such as: CQB movement, indoors firefights, death animations (as a minimum). :cool:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Get over yourself, you're not and there isn't an Arma "elitist" just a bunch of dicks that think they own something... no one owes you anything and you're entitled to nothing.

Dayz Arma is actually fun and the numbers proves that popularity far exceeding anything before it. Arma is better for it.

Get over yourself, you're not and there isn't an Arma "elitist" just a bunch of dicks that think they own something... no one owes you anything and you're entitled to nothing.

Dayz Arma is actually fun and the numbers proves that popularity far exceeding anything before it. Arma is better for it.

Jeeze, I never said anyone owed me anything. I'm not being self-important, I know I'm not owed anything or entitled to anything, but really, some courtesy and kindness goes a long way. I am a nice guy, I do not go out of my way to be an obnoxious ass like some of these new people playing DayZ seem to be doing. Hell, my avatar is a symbol of culture and peace if that tells you anything about me.

I enjoy the hell out of DayZ, I'm just not enjoying some of the very obnoxious players. Unfortunately, I must deal with them if I want to play DayZ as there is no offline version of DayZ.

Nicholas, I think you are making far too many assumptions based on a game mode where the whole point is to survive and pass the time by whatever means available, no holds barred. Making a psychological profile based on someone's playing style in DayZ is not a good idea.

Oh no, Arma is not anymore #1 on steam, ghost recon preorder has pushed it on #3

Nicholas, I think you are making far too many assumptions based on a game mode where the whole point is to survive and pass the time by whatever means available, no holds barred. Making a psychological profile based on someone's playing style in DayZ is not a good idea.

Celery, I'm not assuming anything, I'm talking about my actual experiences. I'm not talking about gameplay either. It's their attitude that I'm talking about. As I said, I'm respectful to every player I come across, but not all of them are very respectful. I'm not talking about how they play DayZ, I have no problem if I am killed. It's what they are saying over chat and voice that I don't like very much. Most of the players have been obnoxious, and that's not an assumption that most of the players are like that, that's my personal experience.

I agree with Nicholas,the amount of crap on chat makes me believe some of those guys are still struggling with puberty.Must be some really fun sessions on those CoD games.:j:

I'm also glad BI are benefiting from this,these guys deserve a lot more sales when you see the amount of work they put in their games even if those people probably didn't bought A2 for the war sim aspect.

I agree with Nicholas,the amount of crap on chat makes me believe some of those guys are still struggling with puberty.Must be some really fun sessions on those CoD games.:j:

I'm also glad BI are benefiting from this,these guys deserve a lot more sales when you see the amount of work they put in their games even if those people probably didn't bought A2 for the war sim aspect.

One reason why I'm wondering if Rocket would release a private version of DayZ for people who wants to play their own private session away from people like these. Seen people insulted one of my friend over the chat on DayZ one time, it was really immature.

I'm still in disbelief that these so called "DayZ" players which seem mainstream to me, are able to put up with such AWFUL server issues and still be back the next day.

But really, I don't consider them ARMA players because they only bought the game because it was popular on their steam list. They're DayZ players.

Let's face it, ARMA 2 is NOT a zombie game, it never was, although it can be.

Now, there's still hope that some of these 'DayZ only players' see the true potential of ArmA2 and become 'real' players. ;)

If they are not completely stupid then they will at least try to play the real game. Maybe some of them will indeed stick with Arma.

Dunno if it will be posted by BI but the Arma 2 sales on Steam are over 50,000 in the last 3 weeks, thats 50,000 people buying the game and having no clue that the big airfield is where the A10 takes off :D

Honestly dont understand the elitist arseness on here from users and modeators, threads being locked and " mentioned in the dayz thread" being posted without a link to the Dayz thread.

Tbh if i was new to Arma having only played Dayz and came on here, i wouldnt play your game.

EDIT sigh.....see above post :(

the sales are great news for bohemia, I dont mind if all they play is dayz.

only thing that's slightly annoying is all the people with 2 posts total complaining about performance.

As i type this Arma is at No.2 on the Best sellers list, :yay:

Working it's way back to the top! The Ubisoft sale knocked it down to I think 5th position. I'm sure once the Dead Island sale is over, ArmA will be the king again!

Actually Arma 2: CO is at the No. 1 position for almost 2 weeks now. ;) It's only displaced for a short while when another game is reduced (and it has to be a popular one - otherwise even there Arma stays on top).

Knowing the series (and its popularity) for a decade now - that's just... unreal! :D

They are only interested in PVP and player interactions in a given universe, and I don't see people staying here for long, unless certain base aspects of PVP mechanics are changed in ArmA, such as: CQB movement, indoors firefights, death animations (as a minimum). :cool:
This is pretty much my main concern, possibly a deciding factor, about ARMA 3 at this point... but seeing Smookie's BI Developer tag and avatar does fill my heart with hope... I'd LOVE to see SMK Animations be included -- or at the very least, the combat jog -- in ARMA 3!

:inlove: