Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

Nope, has very little effect while moving forward and only really effects you while trying to hover.

By the time you had shot those rotors till it exploded the heli would have already crashed.

For you both:

You have missed the point. Do enjoy your hitpoint Quake system, while even Iron Front has some semblance of realism in armour simulation.

You have no idea what we're discussing here.

Pretty sure I have more idea of the technicalities behind it than you do...

I will shoot your main rotor with 1200 5.56 rounds and the helo will explode, same goes for a tanks - a thousand rounds into the tracks or the cannon and it explodes.

Independent from the hull.

Do you see the AH-6 getting hit with 1200 rounds? No.

Dont get your hopes up for some fancy new damage system, what they've shown in the videos is no different from what exists in A1/2 already.

Additionally, it is possible to setup the class hitPoints and the minimal hit so that you pass little to no damage onto the hull of the vehicle.

Pretty sure I have more idea of the technicalities behind it than you do...

Cool story, bro. I hope you weren't the one who developed a system where a T-90 can be killed by a M249 SAW.

Dont get your hopes up for some fancy new damage system, what they've shown in the videos is no different from what exists in A1/2 already.

That's the point. They haven't.

Don't be a clown, DM - I've had the same discussion with you regarding physics last year and see where that got you? ;)

Iron Front: 1944, ArmA 2 engine armour simulation:

Don't be a clown, DM - I've had the same discussion with you regarding physics last year and see where that got you?

You mean the "BIS should switch to the outerra engine" thread? The one where you failed to grasp even the basic definitions of simple technologies? Yes, because the engine change happened...

Iron Front may have a nice scripted system, but its so buggy and broken that I'd rather go back to A2's more "limited" system. And, as I've said, with some careful configuration, the damage limitation is already possible.

BTW see how Gamespot dude is gushing about ArmA3 freedom of movement? And some people here were saying we need sticky cover.

Freedom of movement is a great thing.

Yeah sticky cover would have been an abomination, fortunately after listening to Jay during the gamespot presentation there is no doubt whatsoever that Bohemia know exactly what the majority of Arma fans want and lame COD/BF3 style cover system bullshyte gimmicks will never see the light of day in Arma.

You mean the "BIS should switch to the outerra engine" thread?

...Yes, because the engine change happened...

Physics topic and Outerra were 2 different discussions. The engine change happened in a big way; they're, perhaps, even delaying ArmA III due to PhysX implementation.

Iron Front may have a nice scripted system, but its so buggy and broken that I'd rather go back to A2's more "limited" system. And, as I've said, with some careful configuration, the damage limitation is already possible.

Which brings us to the next point: this limited system has become obsolete and seeing as a proper physics engine is in place, I can already envision vehicle components flying off in explosions left, right & centre. ;)

Physics topic and Outerra were 2 different discussions.

Hmm, I don't remember it, you should PM me a link...

Which brings us to the next point: this limited system has become obsolete and seeing as a proper physics engine is in place, I can already envision vehicle components flying off in explosions left, right & centre.

PhysX doesnt automagically mean that everything will have destructible components, soft body physics, or anything for that matter.

PhysX is only tied into the ballistic simulation in a very limited way (kinetic energy from direct impact or explosions will move targets, but thats about it). You would have to completely re-work ALL of the artwork, so that it was constructed in such a way that things could actually be blown off (you would have to re-work the fire-geometry to match), you would then have to implement systems so that these things interacted with the physical world and the ballistic world (so far there is no confirmation that physX will handle the ballistics ingame), and on top of that it has to be network compatible. Everyone seems to think that all you need to do is plug physX in and it will do the rest, but its really not that simple...

If they were planning such extensive changes to the way the damage model worked, I'm sure Ivan and Jay would not stop talking about it...

You would have to completely re-work ALL of the artwork, so that it was constructed in such a way that things could actually be blown off (you would have to re-work the fire-geometry to match), you would then have to implement systems so that these things interacted with the physical world and the ballistic world (so far there is no confirmation that physX will handle the ballistics ingame), and on top of that it has to be network compatible. Everyone seems to think that all you need to do is plug physX in and it will do the rest, but its really not that simple...

If they were planning such extensive changes to the way the damage model worked, I'm sure Ivan and Jay would not stop talking about it...

This is exactly what they're doing, thank you for putting it so eloquently in a single paragraph. ;) Search for Maruk's post in this thread that answers the question of PhysX 2 to version 3.x migration and delays.

All their (fictional) armour/aircraft models suspiciously have compartmentalised layouts of components: engines, turrets, cannons, radar dishes so forth. Cheeky, sneaky - an Ace up their sleeve, just like the Lighting System had been!

This is exactly what they're doing

Actually it really isnt. Marek does not mention changing art assets at all. If you knew anything at all about the physX implementation you would know that there is a huge amount of both engine and configuration work needed just to get vehicles to move, let alone have chunks blown out of them. Then there is AI and networking on top of that...

All their (fictional) armour/aircraft models suspiciously have compartmentalised layouts of components: engines, turrets, cannons, radar dishes so forth.

I'm amazed you can see this from the screenshots and videos presented. You must have super eyes to be able to see how the visual parts of the models and fire geometry (which is not visible anywhere in the pr material) are constructed.

@Iroquois Pliskin & DM

can you settle this in PM's please? This here is about ArmA 3 @ E3, so please, BTT.

Tread lightly, for you're treading on my dreams, DM. ;) You want this game to remain in Y2K by the looks of it, perhaps you're so familiar with the engine and in love with it to the point of having to adapt to new environment could spell death and disaster?

I'll reserve judgment for now, but that tail rotor did fall off! :D

Myke;2166674']@Iroquois Pliskin & DM

can you settle this in PM's please? This here is about ArmA 3 @ E3' date=' so please, BTT.[/quote']

Yeah, and for those that missed:

This is.... just... I need a new PC. NAO!

First time we heard something about AI improvments! He said "...will not be a revolutionary AI, but merge all the new OA beta fixes with new fixes for Arma 3". I hope that will be enough...Still nothing about AI handling C&Q better + moving in houses. i bet it will be not in the game. Still im exited as i was before, just hoped for a bigger step for the AI. Also he mentioned that Community Alpha will be released some time around August.

Just before opening of DAY 3, of E3 2012 Limnosradio will call the Bohemia Interactive team in L.A.

I will get a first hand impression from the team of how the E3 visitors expirience this year's ArmA3 hands-on.

There is no possibility for community questions, use the 'Dirty Dozen' show for all your questions.

You might wanna tune in @Limnosradio http://www.limnosradio.com:8000/ - or use the web-player on our homepage : www.limnosradio.com

Yes, this will be a LIVE broadcast!

I'll reserve judgment for now, but that tail rotor did fall off! :D

Didnt fall off, it hid, the same way it is already capable of doing in A2.

I'd say sorry for the OT, but I'm not. It boggles my mind how big the assumptions you guys can make from the littlest details...

First time we heard something about AI improvments! He said "...will not be a revolutionary AI, but merge all the new OA beta fixes with new fixes for Arma 3". I hope that will be enough...Still nothing about AI handling C&Q better + moving in houses.

In the 16 minute presentation they mention AI in ArmA 2 calculating far too many objects in their vicinity, when deciding to take cover while under fire, and in ArmA III they have fixed that, so you can expect AI to swiftly hide behind the nearest bush without wandering around like headless chickens.

No mention of indoors, though.

I am going to love this game, heck I already love it :P

Kind regards

Just before opening of DAY 3, of E3 2012 Limnosradio will call the Bohemia Interactive team in L.A.

I will get a first hand impression from the team of how the E3 visitors expirience this year's ArmA3 hands-on.

There is no possibility for community questions, use the 'Dirty Dozen' show for all your questions.

You might wanna tune in @Limnosradio http://www.limnosradio.com:8000/ - or use the web-player on our homepage : www.limnosradio.com

Yes, this will be a LIVE broadcast!

Can you tell us when this will go live (twitter, here on the forums etc.)?

in around three hours... im getting a SMS from ivan so im have no exact time, it will be BEFORE opening of E3!

in around three hours... im getting a SMS from ivan so im have no exact time, it will be BEFORE opening of E3!

thanks. just a headsup via twitter before you go live would be nice ;)

Just ask them the right questions please.

Ask them about medical system in detail. About fatigue system in detail. About AI building navigation in detail. Ask about high command too. As them about breathing simulation.

Ask them about the gameplay in detail don't just "listen" or ask "hurr will this be optimized" like certain gaming "journalists"

Ask them something we don't know yet.

Just ask them the right questions please.

Ask them about medical system in detail. About fatigue system in detail. About AI building navigation in detail. Ask about high command too. As them about breathing simulation.

Ask them about the gameplay in detail don't just "listen" or ask "hurr will this be optimized" like certain gaming "journalists"

Ask them something we don't know yet.

What one can expect about how good/poor A3 really is can be two different things. Better be patient instead of overhyped. Lets just hope that there is enough time to test and fix/tweak all the things before release. Insert meme: "Triple check all the things!!" ;)

The left hand raising/lowering NVG device is planned as first DLC for ArmA3.

Some questions i cannot answer until the right time has come :)

I really hope this is a joke (unless by DLC you mean Expansion like OA)