purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

How is there any practical difference? Chernarus is based on an area in the Czech Republic.

Yeah and chernaruss doesn´t represent 100% that area of the Czech Republic either. It´s still great.

Its true, I was playing Chernarus mission last night, and it never fails to impress even now and we are what, 3 years old?

From what they have shown with Lemnos, it looks superb so far.

How is there any practical difference? Chernarus is based on an area in the Czech Republic.

seriously? i never imagined Czech Rep. so "greenish", but i guess my geography sucks cause i'm also from Europe.

as for the Limnos thing, i think it would be great. if they really model buildings and roads according to those actually present on the island then i can't ask for anymore realism than that. of course, it won't hurt if they infuse some additional civil engineering products, just to enrich the scenery.

Unless you're a permanent resident of Limnos that routinely times your journeys, I doubt you're going to notice that the island isn't quite to scale. True 1:1 scale is always nice, but I think to say that it makes the experience "unauthentic" is a touch unfair. It's a huge area and any increase in ratio would have a pretty big impact on workload.

I personally think that the biggest point of generating landmass from real areas/islands is to have a completely natural and realistic environment for your base. Scale isnt that important as long as it's not really noticably decreased, which I dont think BIS maps are at all. I rather see logic in my environments, like where the trees grow, where there are hills or mountains, what type of vegetation there is, how roads are built, where there's water and villages, and things like that. That's what's important for me, and ArmA-maps are still the greatest of all "fps"-games imo because of this.

I'm sure Limnos wont disappoint in general authenticity, especially considering it's a few years in future and more or less of a warzone. This gives BIS the oppertunity to make many valid changes to Limnos without ruining the real deal feel of it all.

The island will probably play better than the real one because of the compression. Mediterranean environments can have some big, open spaces. This can make an awful lot of battlefields just one big gentle slope, with terrain features larger than your average engagement range. This is what makes fighting on real mountain maps frequently problematic. You have to chose between fighting from interesting, varied positions with only heavy weapons, or in samey, tactically-limited areas.

You think Chernarus is realistic and fairly open, a typical European environment? Hell, no! It's actually a geologic anomaly, a unique part of the continent dotted with the interesting contours of extinct volcanoes. It's micro terrain, with a lot of variety and 'value' packed into a small space.

My Answer:

As long as BIS keeps the admitted route, to not do the scale of maps, etc a 100% like in RL, it's simply not authentic.

I Personally, who loves large-scale missions, either Online or SP, powered by realism-mods like ACE, find this a HUGE downside and i was shocked that a BIS Developer admitted some time ago that ArmA3 will not be 100% scale like in RL.

I see where you're coming from, and I have to say I partially agree. I really enjoy large scale missions, realistic missions, and I think the bigger maps add to the feeling of being in a realistic theater of war. A larger map also opens up more places you can build FOB's our COP's without being restricted by the terrain (not that this is necessarily 'unrealistic'). I've recently been playing on Kaysh Khabur and CLAfghan and I have to say it just sort of 'feels' more realistic. Granted the only reference point I have are military videos/documentary. But if you look at the scale of an afghan valley from a camera mans lens and compare it to either Takistan or CLAfghan you will instantly know which looks more realistic. I'm not saying Takistan is bad in any way they probably weren't even aiming for a legit full scale Afghan map, but rather a generic desert/mountain map with a little bit of everything (that they could fit in) that you might come across in a mid eastern theater. That doesn't make Takistan or Chernarus unrealistic terrains on earth come in all shapes and sizes. And that is sort of my argument to the contrary, that even though it's possible to make large realistic maps BIS needs to balance realism with playability and overall performance. I think the same will be true for Limnos and A3, they need to appeal to as many people as possible. And I don't think reducing the scale of Limnos by 70 odd km² will reduce the realism of the map (off the top of my head I think the RL landmass of Limnos is 477km² and the BIS version will be 400km²). From what we've seen to far the map looks very impressive and convincing as a real world Limnos. Very big hills with huge flatland's full of farms, towns and soon FOB's OP's.

And at the end of the day the community is full of talented terrain makers so we should have no shortage of huge and realistic terrains. Maybe even more so with the new engine.:)

It's good that you enjoy large scale maps, but remember that Limnos is large. Just because it's not 100% to scale doesn't mean it's not big. Remember, there are engine limitations.

And, remember, it's not Lemnos. It's Limnos, based off of Lemnos.

Yes the Limnos map looks very big already. and although some may argue that size is what makes a map "authentic" or "realistic" I would much perfer a slightly smaller map with tons of detail rather than a large map with very little detail. And I think on Limnos that is pretty much what we're getting and I am really excited about it. the map may not be to full scale but it is still huge and is going to be very detailed. This alone is worth my money.

Ah that makes sense. Was always wondering why the a3 website spelled it differently than google earth.

Hi, about the authenticity of the terrain... IRL you don't use to choose where you fight, so you can be on patrol and have to find the better defend/attack possition on 0.5 or just to lay down and wait for the NME to pass to take 'em by the back or communicate their possition and marching direction to the HQ for some CAS and ground support that allows you to attack 'em in an effective way.

IRL you've your main base and some outposts or FOBs into the area that you've under your control and same for the NME, only one of the sides use to have real air support and is not common to have planes for booth sides but choppers, some times not even choppers... so one of the sides is comfined to the ground operations while the other side can do land (or sea) operations aswell as common air operations, things like CAS, MED-EVAC, re-supply etc. But the thing is that is very common (on europe) to have a wide open land in front that walk by without see any big building, just some loose house arround there... some distant small village and some small town of like 8.000 habitants connected by road and/or highway. Is not up to the 12.000 habitants towns that you begin to see large structures such as power stations, industrial complexes, transport centers, railway stations etc, with like 30km to the next population center... .

On the case of Limnos... it seems to be a place with the agriculture as the main activity aswell the comerce and re-supply/stop 'n go point as the island that it's, it should have large open spaces dedicated to the agriculture with unpaved roads and some touristic villages on the center; this kinda remote places are the ones that should have alot of detail to give an authentic feeling, aswell the coast villages, ports etc. IRL you don't have 1 of everything in therms of structures and complexes... if Limnos gonna have 1 or 2 of everything (two airports etc) then it don't gonna look real, im tired of type. Let's C ya

Ah that makes sense. Was always wondering why the a3 website spelled it differently than google earth.

Not true. Limnos and Lemnos are the same thing, just spelled/pronounced differently depending on where you're from. Internationally Lemnos seems to be the most popular name though, especially outside Europe.

Edited by Mr. Bravo

Hi, about the authenticity of the terrain... IRL you don't use to choose where you fight, so you can be on patrol and have to find the better defend/attack possition on 0.5 or just to lay down and wait for the NME to pass to take 'em by the back or communicate their possition and marching direction to the HQ for some CAS and ground support that allows you to attack 'em in an effective way.

IRL you've your main base and some outposts or FOBs into the area that you've under your control and same for the NME, only one of the sides use to have real air support and is not common to have planes for booth sides but choppers, some times not even choppers... so one of the sides is comfined to the ground operations while the other side can do land (or sea) operations aswell as common air operations, things like CAS, MED-EVAC, re-supply etc. But the thing is that is very common (on europe) to have a wide open land in front that walk by without see any big building, just some loose house arround there... some distant small village and some small town of like 8.000 habitants connected by road and/or highway. Is not up to the 12.000 habitants towns that you begin to see large structures such as power stations, industrial complexes, transport centers, railway stations etc, with like 30km to the next population center... .

On the case of Limnos... it seems to be a place with the agriculture as the main activity aswell the comerce and re-supply/stop 'n go point as the island that it's, it should have large open spaces dedicated to the agriculture with unpaved roads and some touristic villages on the center; this kinda remote places are the ones that should have alot of detail to give an authentic feeling, aswell the coast villages, ports etc. IRL you don't have 1 of everything in therms of structures and complexes... if Limnos gonna have 1 or 2 of everything (two airports etc) then it don't gonna look real, im tired of type. Let's C ya

I read this post twice and still don't know what you were trying to say...

Not true. Limnos and Lemnos are the same thing, just spelled/pronounced differently depending on where you're from. Internationally Lemnos seems to be the most popular name though, especially outside Europe.

I thought I heard that somewhere in some interview that they based it off of Lemnos, but I guess I'm mistaken cuz I haven't found any video that says that. My mistake.

The simple fact that any Iranian would be using Merkavas or Tavors is so ridiculously stupid that it makes my brain bleed.

same thoughts about iran attacking greece! :D

How can you decide if it's authentic when it is in the future?

very good post. the best i have ever seen on this forum and OP wins his argument hands down.

Max Power: sticky this thread - immediately! that's an order.

very good post. the best i have ever seen on this forum and OP wins his argument hands down.

Hehe.. it's already a sticky :D

You are too late, I already ordered him to do so^^

The short answer is, "I can't".

The long answer is, "It's already a sticky".

I guess you found this thread through the 'new posts' search? :p

How can you decide if it's authentic when it is in the future?

Because authenticity refers to the function and structure of the weapons, objects and theatre, it doesn't necessarily refer to a particular war but rather an experience unless otherwise stated as such.

Well there is no way that could ever go wrong, so when do we begin making nuclear powered helicopters? Increasing flight time from two hours to seven or something like that would eliminate the go back and refuel before the next sortie. Besides, nuclear power isn't harmful at all, nothing bad ever came of any nuclear, there were never any accidents, no melt downs or catastrophic damage, or radioactivity and things like that.