purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Anybody know what the MX 6.5mm rifle featured in the E3 demo footage is based off of?

Anybody know what the MX 6.5mm rifle featured in the E3 demo footage is based off of?

It's Fictional weapon , based on Bushmaster ACR and Robinson XCR

They said the rifle was designed by a US based gun designer, but I cant remember the company name.

based on Bushmaster ACR and Robinson XCR

Just for fairness: you could equally correctly say it's based off FN-FAL, SCAR and G3. I think you are limiting your creativity. ;) You can find clues of many weapons in the design, ACR is somewhere down the list. :)

Great, now the DayZ community is going to brag that there game is more realistic than ours.

How does this make their game "more realistic"? A rumor of a psychotronic weapon, meant to demoralize enemy forces, and now we're saying that zombies are realistic?

It's Fictional weapon , based on Bushmaster ACR and Robinson XCR

Ah, cool. Thank you. Also, I know it's fictional, that's why I was asking.

Edited by samyG

How does this make their game "more realistic"? A rumor of a psychotronic weapon, meant to demoralize enemy forces, and now we're saying that zombies are realistic?

a joke...

This topic needs a rest

Pssst... zombies aren't real, it was a joke.

Personally from what ive seen i think ill be relying on mods to make it authentic and realistic, dont get me wrong arma games are always great and i always buy them but im not a fan of made up weapons or vehicles or ones that have been cancelled for years (commanche for example) that to me has a detrimental effect on the game. I like the modern war simulator that actually has the stuff in it that the actual army you are playing uses in real life basically and its disappointing when for (seemingly) no good reason they start throwing in stuff that doesnt even exist.

wrong thread

Edited by PuFu

if 300 is the upper limit, i would go for gtx 670...should be able to find some for around 280-310 pounds

lol, wrong thread.

Personally from what ive seen i think ill be relying on mods to make it authentic and realistic, dont get me wrong arma games are always great and i always buy them but im not a fan of made up weapons or vehicles or ones that have been cancelled for years (commanche for example) that to me has a detrimental effect on the game. I like the modern war simulator that actually has the stuff in it that the actual army you are playing uses in real life basically and its disappointing when for (seemingly) no good reason they start throwing in stuff that doesnt even exist.

The reason is that the game is set in 2035, not 2015... I understand what you are saying. Using fake stuff, based off of real stuff, sends the message that BIS is taking creative liberties with reality, instead of just portraying reality. But, then again, you have to remember that the series has always been fictional. It's always been based on reality, but not 100% reality. Case-in-point, Sahrani, Chernarus, Takistan. Fictional countries, based on real locations. Treat the fictional/cancelled weapons and vehicles like you treat Sahrani, Chernarus, and Takistan. They are based on reality, but not 100% reality. Honestly, it's more explainable that there's fictional stuff in ArmA3 than that there's fictional stuff in all the other games. Because ArmA3 is set in the future, and for all we know weapons like the MX for example or the tank railgun thing could be prototype or commonplace then. Hey, someone could decide to restart the Comanche project. That's not something that's closed for good. It's less explainable why the US Army in OA uses the SCAR instead of M4's, or why BIS decided to go with fake countries instead of real ones. If you have a problem with fictional stuff in ArmA3, you should have an even greater problem with fictional stuff in the previous games.

Well i think settings is a totally different story replicating afghanistan and calling it takistan is fine to me because its only the name thats different if you see what i mean, made up weapons and tank etc dont do it for me. I know its set in 2035 but i still dont like futuristic weapons and it still doesnt explain the baffling inclusion of the commanche for example.

Im sure ace will deliver another amazing mod for arma 3 anyway so i guess i could stop moaning and just play that.

Well i think settings is a totally different story replicating afghanistan and calling it takistan is fine to me because its only the name thats different if you see what i mean, made up weapons and tank etc dont do it for me. I know its set in 2035 but i still dont like futuristic weapons and it still doesnt explain the baffling inclusion of the commanche for example.

Im sure ace will deliver another amazing mod for arma 3 anyway so i guess i could stop moaning and just play that.

The whole point of this thread was to show you that alot of the stuff in the game is in fact....real (dun dun duuuun)

I'm sure it won't just be ACE releasing modern day stuff. Give other addon makers some credit ffs.

It was a fictional country with a fictional government and army. Not just a name change. Arma3 is the future. And the weapons look like current prototypes, which means they will be standard issue 20 years from now. Commanche inclusion isn't that baffling. At any point, Congress could vote to restart the Commanche program and complete the helicopter. Basically, sounds like your issue is that it's not a current-day situation that involves current-day technology.

Actually, isn't the Commanche supposidly in service with that same unit that operated the Stealth BH's during the OBL raid?

what if there are some special things you guys dont know already? its not that we normal people know every weapon and vehicle the military uses right? maybe not in large numbers but in stealth missions etc

In war times, it's always faster to go trhough the prototypes available and ready to be manufactured that start the prototyping process there and then.

Ace is an amazing mod no question about it, especially in terms of features available. But they do rely a lot on external models, which, as you put it, will become increasingly important in A3 world.

Case if point: i am pretty sure most models for A3 will NOT be made by the ACE team. If they got agreements or not to include those, this is left to be seen.

"Is Arma 3 authentic ?".

well, some vehicles and equipments aren't : technically possible doesn't mean authentic.

When the devs take the liberty to create their own models or to mix different existing features and merge it to another unique vehicle or equipment it remain technically realistic but not "authentic".

"authentic" only refer to existing materials or vehicles, or planned proven/tested prototypes.

a paper-board stage prototype isn't authentic yet, even more when this prototype doesn't even exist.

example : MI28N/T90/RAH66 : authentic

MI48 Caiman/T-100 : fictionnal (concerning design, performance (rail gun)).

to include a MI28 would have been authentic and would have matched with the near future A3 era (MI28 is only in service since 2010 in Russian and Russian allied country)

RAH66 is out since 1996, devs didn't see a problem to incude it for a 2035 era scenario.

Edited by cychou

"Is Arma 3 authentic ?".

well, some vehicles and equipments aren't : technically possible doesn't mean authentic.

When the devs take the liberty to create their own models or to mix different existing features and merge it to another unique vehicle or equipment it remain technically realistic but not "authentic".

"authentic" only refer to existing materials or vehicles, or planned proven/tested prototypes.

a paper-board stage prototype isn't authentic yet, even more when this prototype doesn't even exist.

example : MI28N/T90/RAH66 : authentic

MI48 Caiman/T-100 : fictionnal (concerning design, performance (rail gun)).

to include a MI28 would have been authentic and would have matched with the near future A3 era (MI28 is only in service since 2010 in Russian and Russian allied country)

RAH66 is out since 1996, devs didn't see a problem to incude it for a 2035 era scenario.

I could agree with you, IF we were talking about Russia. Yeah, for the Russians, they'd still be using the MI28 and the MI48 would be in the prototype stages or in limited use for special operations, like the US stealth black hawk. However, this is a technologically advanced Iran, who didn't put an MI28 into service in 2010. Or war could have accelerated development of the MI48. Fact is, it's not THAT improbable. Now, I think we're confusing terms. I'd say that it's authentic, as is believable, possible, technically as well as design-wise. But that it's not realistic, meaning that in real life we probably wont see an MI48 in 2035 or the RAH66 Comanche. Authenticity is more about look and feel. How real something "appears" to be. Realism is more about function. How closely does the game "simulate" real life, so weapon damage, damage players can take, fatigue, etc. At least, this seems to be the gaming industry understanding of these terms. So I'd say ArmA3 is authentic, but not necessarily 100% realistic. And for something set in the future, it can't be 100% realistic because we don't know what the future will look like.

Edited by antoineflemming

i love the arma series always have, but if theres something i think is not authentic it is that i doubt in the future they will make machine gun turrets look like smiling robotic dogs!

capturefhd.jpg

every time i see this vehicle in game i will think of that, sorry if i ruined it for the rest of yas lol

i love the arma series always have, but if theres something i think is not authentic it is that i doubt in the future they will make machine gun turrets look like smiling robotic dogs!

every time i see this vehicle in game i will think of that, sorry if i ruined it for the rest of yas lol

amarok_remote_weapon_station_dvd_2009_defence_exhibition.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/263/capturefhd.jpg

What have you done!?!? :icon_evil:

Now I can't unsee it anymore :biggrin_o:

Cheers buddy! ;)