purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Funny, the ULB from arrowhead has MELB upgrades, but the normal ones are still J version.

BTW, the A/MH-9 does have a 6-bladed main rotor, doesn't it?

Funny, the ULB from arrowhead has MELB upgrades, but the normal ones are still J version.

BTW, the A/MH-9 does have a 6-bladed main rotor, doesn't it?

Looks like 5.

Ehy guys, are mk200 and mx 6.5 mm real?

The MK 200 is the KAC LMG.

The MX 6.5 does not exist but it was designed by a US gun designer.

The MK 200 is the KAC LMG.

The MX 6.5 does not exist but it was designed by a US gun designer.

I wonder if 6.5 mm 30rnd STANAG mag replaces the 5.56x45mm 30rnd STANAG mag as the NATO standard.

I wonder if 6.5 mm 30rnd STANAG mag replaces the 5.56x45mm 30rnd STANAG mag as the NATO standard.

The magazine inside the Mk 20 looked like it was 5.56. I think it's just a mix of calibers for the sake of diversity in terms of game play, now that magazines have different weight depending on what type of ammo their holding.

I hope it is, NATO have been looking for at a new stanag calibre for a while

The magazine inside the Mk 20 looked like it was 5.56. I think it's just a mix of calibers for the sake of diversity in terms of game play, now that magazines have different weight depending on what type of ammo their holding.

Yeah, that'd make sense.

I would guess it would be either 6.5 or 6.8 of some sorts. The main advantage of 6.8x43mm cartridge is in similarity to 5.56x45mm one, but he 6.5 has a bit better ballistic profile, as far as I know :icon_twisted:

I would guess it would be either 6.5 or 6.8 of some sorts. The main advantage of 6.8x43mm cartridge is in similarity to 5.56x45mm one, but he 6.5 has a bit better ballistic profile, as far as I know :icon_twisted:

Now the surprising part for me was replacing 7.62 NATO with 6.5mm for the underwater rifle because IMO that is a downgrade.

The range of supercavocating rounds scales well with their caliber and mass it seems, as 7.62 has significantly better range than 5.56 currently.

Weight plays a factor. We could assume in the Armaverse that the designers decided the lighter bullet would be sufficient enough. Plus 7.62 NATO is a full sized round where the 6.5 is intermediate. Kinda apples and oranges.

Plus 7.62 NATO is a full sized round where the 6.5 is intermediate. Kinda apples and oranges.

You will have to read my post again, then your laconic note and then elaborate in comprehensible way what you meant. They are both bullets, comparisons of ballistics are fine.

As for weight, it is not a factor underwater where you can just balance it with buoyancy as you please.

You will have to read my post again, then your laconic note and then elaborate in comprehensible way what you meant. They are both bullets, comparisons of ballistics are fine.

As for weight, it is not a factor underwater where you can just balance it with buoyancy as you please.

You were right on the weight. In the words of Doc Brown, I wasn't thinking 4th dimensionally, but what I meant with the different cartridge sizes is why make the gun intended for a much larger round like 7.62 NATO (7.62x51) when you could still remain in the intermediate class of ammo and use, in this case to keep it similar, the 7.62x39 ammunition? I know this would sacrifice range which is what your point was, but the weapon would be better suited to be compact (which it appears to be in the video and screenshots), and even in a bullpup configuration the barrel would need to be long enough to let the powder burn off, where with 7.62 NATO most people agree 18 inches is the minimum length before you are just wasting powder, which underwater it would defeat the purpose if you didn't make the most of it. Intermediate cartridges seem to fit the needs, even if it lowers the range, and between 5.56 and 7.62, 6.5 I guess is a happy medium and in this case is probably a fictional experimental variant that is unique to that weapon. That or I'm just thinking about this all wrong and I should stop typing up posts at 4am before I get a nose bleed.

Hi all!

About an other subject I was just wondering how realistic it is to just swap the optics on the fly and have it perfectly zeroed for the rifle right away...

For a hand grips, muzzle flash and sound suppressors ok but I really doubt you could do it with the optic and expect it to fire accurately without some sight adjustments.

I never used optics on a AR with these new rail system so perhaps I'm wrong. Anybody could share his experience?

I know this would sacrifice range which is what your point was, but the weapon would be better suited to be compact (which it appears to be in the video and screenshots), and even in a bullpup configuration the barrel would need to be long enough to let the powder burn off, where with 7.62 NATO most people agree 18 inches is the minimum length before you are just wasting powder, which underwater it would defeat the purpose if you didn't make the most of it. Intermediate cartridges seem to fit the needs, even if it lowers the range, and between 5.56 and 7.62, 6.5 I guess is a happy medium and in this case is probably a fictional experimental variant that is unique to that weapon. That or I'm just thinking about this all wrong and I should stop typing up posts at 4am before I get a nose bleed.

Actually shorter barrel makes bullets go further underwater. Reason is in addition to pushing the bullet trough the barrel the gas pressure needs to push additional volume of water in front of the bullet. This is not a problem in atmosphere since air is lighter and compressible. Water is about 1/6 density of steel so it's pretty much like firing two bullets...

The 18 inch is a number for atmosphere. Under water rules change and barrel length is a bad thing. Burn time can be adjusted (just change the grain and shape of powder dust) to create higher pressure, the problems are recoil and durability.

Recoil ceases to be a problem because you have water resistance behind your back to stabilize you, it's like firing a rifle with your back against a wall, so you would prefer high pressure loads and heavier bullet to get more velocity and increase range this way.

As for durability the Kel-tec rifle is in 7.62 IRL and it has specially reinforced receiver around the chamber in case of shell raptures, in addition to general sturdy construction most KT weapons share.

I think, contrary to you, the range is pretty essential in clear Mediterranean waters. It is a very specific theater and it is quite possible new weapons and tactics would be needed and arms race would start.

Hi all!

About an other subject I was just wondering how realistic it is to just swap the optics on the fly and have it perfectly zeroed for the rifle right away...

For a hand grips, muzzle flash and sound suppressors ok but I really doubt you could do it with the optic and expect it to fire accurately without some sight adjustments.

I never used optics on a AR with these new rail system so perhaps I'm wrong. Anybody could share his experience?

No experience but let's point out there is a new rail standard in NATO being implemented now with changes to dimensional tolerances.

It looks the same as Picatinny rail but Stanag rail should offer improved zero retention (as it was designed to do).

Yes, if you tighten the scope mount screws different you will get zero drift when mounting a scope. I think it might be a smaller issue with Quick Attach style, since then it's pre-set strength.

It might be negligible for assault rifles since they are not built for precision and the scopes are more for target identification than increase in range. Would be nice to hear from IRL owners on that.

Edited by Panda_pl

Is that a Kel Tec RFB being used as the underwater rifle?

Edit: Also about optics swapping, it depends entirely on the mount. For instance in the game itself you have the MK14's and on them is the Sage cantilever sight base. With that sight base you can maintain zero with the scope mounted on it, so long as when you go to remove the optic, you remove it with the entire base attached. People with enough money to afford different railed bases like that will leave the optics on the base and remove the base as a whole, and replace it with another base that has a different optic attached to it just so they can swap optics and be able to avoid having to zero the optic again.

Though for quick attach style optics and mounts like what Panda brought up, I have no idea, but I think it works on the same principle as the sight base method mentioned before as the Sage base is quick attach itself. If the question remains unanswered later today I can ask a friend who owns and sells such things.

Edited by Steakslim

I didn't know that the Patria AMV was in this game. Now I'm really, really happy.

Three cheers for the "The Green Tank." I hope they include a base green version and some insurgent character models .... that could be fun.

One thing that -really- bothered me in regards to Gamespot's E3 coverage of Arma 3. I noticed that the MX 6.5 rifle was equipped with the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) and he was holding it in a very odd fashion.

(Intended Grip for the AFG)

(2nd Example)

(3rd Example...you get the point)

I won't go in-depth about how one should go about holding a gun with an AFG. But I would just like to point current "grip" for the AFG in terms of attention-to-detail.

One thing that -really- bothered me in regards to Gamespot's E3 coverage of Arma 3. I noticed that the MX 6.5 rifle was equipped with the Magpul AFG (Angled Fore Grip) and he was holding it in a very odd fashion.

(Intended Grip for the AFG)

(2nd Example)

(3rd Example...you get the point)

I won't go in-depth about how one should go about holding a gun with an AFG. But I would just like to point current "grip" for the AFG in terms of attention-to-detail.

The "all around" grip isn´t really possible with the MX, because of the tall receiver. It works in AR-15 platforms because of the well-sized handguard/foreend. You would need to adapt your grip to suit the different shape of the rifle.

Also if you get picky on this, I´d go further and get picky on the "broom handle" style grip on the vertical foregrips too.

Personally, I don´t really mind. There is other things that worry me lots, lots more. The AI, for example.

But I would just like to point current "grip" for the AFG in terms of attention-to-detail.

What about people who are not big fans of Magpull tactical course and will use their gear their own way? Things Magpull says are not set in stone.

The AFG can also serve to give you a more natural angle on the wrist and with outdoors shooting the method proposed by Magpull would probably be inferior as it might give you more swing control but outside of CQC you need stability and good support to get rounds on target.

It could be implemented if you placed a LaRute thumb stop on the left side and used that to lock your thumb but it's n ot worth it IMO.

Wow...this game looks pretty good o.o I am kinda surprised.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Hey, ever thought of adding Naval combat (commanding a small cruiser off the coast or something)

It's been a thought, or a request for years. Please refer to the wishlist threads for such requests.