purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

Sorry for looping, don't pay me attention is just that I like future but not semi-future

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

None of the weapons are invented by BIS.

When you recycle something, you make it brand new.

Some dev said the Merkava is a placeholder for the OPFOR.

I didn't know the HAMOK were real sorry

Please let's not do this again :(

But, mate, every nut and bolt have to be in the right place, or you wouldn't be able to play the game at all.

Just take a look at this, the horror:

@ 7:43

Ivan Buchta: "The boat we are looking at is fictional, but it was designed to look as authentic as possible." :butbut:

AFAIK, nobody complained about that.

Yet. :rolleyes:

The simple fact that any Iranian would be using Merkavas or Tavors is so ridiculously stupid that it makes my brain bleed.

In the story did Iran conquer Israel or not? If they did I can see how they got their hands on some Israeli equipment. I doubt Israel would sell Iran tanks both in the Arma world or in our real world lol.

Assuming all nations operate under the same methods that they do in our world. For all we know Israel could be entirerly different.

Maybe Israel supported the overthrow of the islamic government or something.

What I am worried about currently is that we´re not being shown any substantial gameplay improvements apart from new animation sets. Where´s the AI? Where are the weapons features? That is, penetration, bodyarmour, fragmentation, realistic ERA and composite vehicle armour, advanced AT and AA weapon interfaces, the stuff that will allow the community to make the really realistic missions and mods.

I am hoping that E3 will bring light to those areas at last. If everything is about graphics again i´ll throw my table out of my window and run twelve miles in uncontained, white-faced, nerdy nerd-rage. 8V

Maybe Israel supported the overthrow of the islamic government or something.

What I am worried about currently is that we´re not being shown any substantial gameplay improvements apart from new animation sets. Where´s the AI? Where are the weapons features? That is, penetration, bodyarmour, fragmentation, realistic ERA and composite vehicle armour, advanced AT and AA weapon interfaces, the stuff that will allow the community to make the really realistic missions and mods.

I am hoping that E3 will bring light to those areas at last. If everything is about graphics again i´ll throw my table out of my window and run twelve miles in uncontained, white-faced, nerdy nerd-rage. 8V

I bet they are saving the bulk of major improvements for E3.

Look, you don't understand. It's as if you'd take a Jedi Starfighter over the Kajman. Back in 09 there was a rumor that the Russian Helicopter companies were merging. In the Armaverse, this ended up actually going for it, and thus the Kajman was born. I think to the Russians the difference would have been as big(?) as the one from the Mi-8 to the Mi-17. For them, it's just "an upgrade".

not read all the replys so might have been said already but the Comanche Helicopter was cancelled years ago. but was real.

looking great though. never tried the ARMA series before but have friends who have and enjoyed it. might give this a go

not read all the replys so might have been said already but the Comanche Helicopter was cancelled years ago. but was real.

I think most people who follow military news know this news but I would be lying if I said I would not want to try flying the Comanche in Arma 3.

Canceled or not I'm glad I will be able to fly this bad boy.

Look, you don't understand. It's as if you'd take a Jedi Starfighter over the Kajman. Back in 09 there was a rumor that the Russian Helicopter companies were merging. In the Armaverse, this ended up actually going for it, and thus the Kajman was born. I think to the Russians the difference would have been as big(?) as the one from the Mi-8 to the Mi-17. For them, it's just "an upgrade".

I still don't quite understand what's the whole fuss about the Mi-48. It's basically just a design change from the external point of view.

The picture authenticity isn't too hard to realize IMO, it's the functionality of weapons and stuff that's harder.

Like, BF3 has all authentic images for guns, and yet they pretty much threw the functional authenticities out the window in favour of balance.

It will be interesting to see how ARMA 3 handles that tradeoff.

Hah people got so worked up about the MI-48,but it seems interest and research is rising into more VTOL aircraft type solutions.By 2035 I think these type of craft will be the new workhorse instead of regular choppers.

Looking at the stir caused by that Hamok imagine if BI pulled up some VTOL concepts,people would have gone for their pitchforks.:p

The picture authenticity isn't too hard to realize IMO, it's the functionality of weapons and stuff that's harder.

Like, BF3 has all authentic images for guns, and yet they pretty much threw the functional authenticities out the window in favour of balance.

It will be interesting to see how ARMA 3 handles that tradeoff.

what? "they pretty much threw the functional authenticities out the window in favour of balance"....theres no "balance" in this game. unlike most other shooters, 5.56 bullets from any gun do the same damage..same with all calibres

These new weapons and vehicles are nice and super cool and all, but they lack one thing: charisma. AK47, M60, M14, SVD, BMP, M1A1, Bradley, A10, M79, M113, Mi24, F16, M16, T72, UAZ, RPG-7, CH47, Hummer, SCUD and so on. They all have charisma because they were used in real combat, they killed lots of people, they are easily recognizable and made in huge numbers. From this list only Merkava and Osprey have some charisma, others are props from superhero movies.

Charisma == killed lots of people... never heard that one before.

Charisma == killed lots of people... never heard that one before.

Indeed :suspicious:, that's frightening...

These new weapons and vehicles are nice and super cool and all, but they lack one thing: charisma. AK47, M60, M14, SVD, BMP, M1A1, Bradley, A10, M79, M113, Mi24, F16, M16, T72, UAZ, RPG-7, CH47, Hummer, SCUD and so on. They all have charisma because they were used in real combat, they killed lots of people, they are easily recognizable and made in huge numbers. From this list only Merkava and Osprey have some charisma, others are props from superhero movies.

You really should at least look at the first page of this thread before posting like that...the majority of equipment in Arma 3 actually does exist (and are not props), They just haven't been around as long as all of the cold war equipment you named off.

So that means if I'm killed by a Merkava I should be ashamed,but if I'm hit by an UAZ I should be happy because it's an recognizable brand??:butbut:

Since this thread keeps going in loops, have we had an occurence of Godwins law yet?

Can we blame Hitler for all the "fake" stuff in A3?

You guys play hardcore military simulation and don't think A10 Warthog doesn't have charisma? Gimme a break.

You really should at least look at the first page of this thread before posting like that...the majority of equipment in Arma 3 actually does exist (and are not props), it just hasn't been around as long as all of the cold war equipment you named off.

Did i say they don't exist? I saw first page (nice effort btw), i didn't read the title and jumped to last page to make my silly post. And why do you say majority of equipment, are they putting things that don't exist into a SIMULATION?

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

So that means if I'm killed by a Merkava I should be ashamed,but if I'm hit by an UAZ I should be happy because it's an recognizable brand??:butbut:

You should watch when you cross the street if you were killed by UAZ.

You guys play hardcore military simulation and don't think A10 Warthog doesn't have charisma? Gimme a break.

Did i say they don't exist? I saw first page (nice effort btw), i didn't read the title and jumped to last page to make my silly post. And why do you say majority of equipment, are they putting things that don't exist into a SIMULATION?

I think the halberd has a lot of charisma, it killed a lot of people :292:

Since this thread keeps going in loops, have we had an occurence of Godwins law yet?

Can we blame Hitler for all the "fake" stuff in A3?

Sorry DM, i joined the discussion a bit late and was lazy to read 62 pages :/

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

I think the halberd has a lot of charisma, it killed a lot of people :292:

From Wikipedia: "The halberd was cheap to produce and very versatile in battle." = cool weapon

are they putting things that don't exist into a SIMULATION?

Arma 3 is actually a game, and if you don't like some of the fictional (but plausible) equipment, you just don't have to use them in your missions. You can also use mods like ACE or buy VBS.

A10 has charisma with that fart noise it makes out of its mouth. :yay:

aesthetics!

Sound like someone with a military fetish is trying to convince all with his preferences of old weapons and vehicles.... and their "charisma" aka

They all have charisma because they were used in real combat, they killed lots of people, they are easily recognizable and made in huge numbers. From this list only Merkava and Osprey have some charisma, others are props from superhero movies.
Or is it just another poor try to make A3 include only military stuff that could be obsolete/upgraded by 2035? What about the "charisma" of crossbows, swords and battle axes?