purepassion

Is Arma 3 authentic?

It's easier to simulate something you have data for. If no one has data for it, then you can make a best guess and no one is the wiser.

Can´t really properly simulate modern military equipment either, because a lot of the data, especially where composite armour such as Chobham is concerned is classified.

All you basically know is approximate thickness, and then you have to read lots of reports and figure out what is made up and what isn´t. Hard data always helps, but only if it´s documented.

With new equipment, you need to look at old equipment, see what capability improvements the new gear gives, and then estimate from there.

It´s challenging all around, no matter which way you take.

Perhaps Bohemia's vision of future warfare isn't so outrageous after all, take a look at what former Operation Desert Storm hospital commander and DARPA researcher Dr Richard Satava envisions warfare will be like 20 or 30 years from now.

"he's sitting in an office in Washington operating a surgical robot which is poised to operate on a solider wounded in Afghanistan 10800 kilometres away. That soldier has life-threatening injuries and to prevent blood loss or damage to his organs, he is injected with a solution that puts him into a temporary state of suspended animation. He needs an organ transplant, so Satava instructs the computer built into the surgical robot to print one using the soldier's stem cells."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/the-outrageous-surgeon-20120601-1zlqx.html

Which is amusing because we're currently working on all that - suspended animation to prevent bloodloss, 3D printing is getting more and more popular, and people have already 3D printed organs. Remote-operating robots are a thing too. Crazy, just not full-blown fielded yet

And what if they start making robot soldiers? For example Terminator was set in 2029, Blade runner in 2019.

And what if they start making robot soldiers? For example Terminator was set in 2029, Blade runner in 2019.

It will probably take some time until we got robot soldiers.

First they need to be mobile enough as well as having good survivability.

The thing is if they should be independent or controlled by humans.

However we will probably see robots in more supporting roles and as vehicle based systems(controlled or independent).

having good survivability

Robot soldiers you say?

The idea is not to make them better than manned vehicles, it's to make them cheap and disposable. It's like the land mine of 21st century.

Or Javelin. $80.000 rocket seems expensive, but it takes out a $2 mln tank.

Imagine if BI decided to include the Zumwalt class destroyer (DDG-1000):

zumwalt-1a.jpg

I can picture all the countless complaints about how implausible and too futuristic it supposedly looks. :rolleyes:

In it's own way it would be funny to witness the butt-frustration over it.

Eventho your picture isn't real. The real one looks just as weird.

http://www.armybase.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/zumwalt-destroyer.jpg

Isn't that just a better quality 3D rendering? A news article I read earlier claimed the first is planned to be delivered in 2014. EDIT: Oh wait, it actually looks like a different model in your image.

Edited by Dingo8

No way that its not real. I mean look at the sea around the destroyer. If thats not real I'm going to eat my PC. xD

Hate to burst your bubble but DDG-1000 is nowhere near finished yet, much less pulling some knots somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. Plenty of other realistic looking renders over on Global Security.

The latest video of it was very cool though (below), showing one of the hull sections being moved - it's a weird looking beast, would love to see it in ArmA 3 (daydreaming).

http://www.military.com/video/logistics-and-supplies/naval-equipment/uss-zumwalt-rolls-out-of-ultra-hall/1549046395001/

No way that its not real. I mean look at the sea around the destroyer. If thats not real I'm going to eat my PC. xD

Enjoy your meal! ;)

it's a weird looking beast

fugly is a word i'd use

Great post by the way, when I looked at some of the real weapons 'Arma' sprung into my mind.

Do I see USAF and Iranian roundels/symbols on that UAV?

US wings/star on the left wing, green white red on the leading edge of the wings

Do I see USAF and Iranian roundels/symbols on that UAV?

US wings/star on the left wing, green white red on the leading edge of the wings

now that would be weird :)

The 2035 MH-6, sorry "AH-9" with no MELB upgrades makes me sad... (as seen in the E3 helicopter demos)

No 6 bladed main rotor, no 4 bladed tail rotor, steam gauges in the cockpit (and not MFDs) , civilian style white cockpit complete with brown leather grab handles...

These upgrades (along with a bunch of other "under the skin" stuff) willl be applie to all the A/MH-6's (bringing them to A/MH-6M standard) in US Army service over the next 10-15 years, making what they've got in A3 a bit behind the times...

The 2035 MH-6, sorry "AH-9" with no MELB upgrades makes me sad... (as seen in the E3 helicopter demos)

No 6 bladed main rotor, no 4 bladed tail rotor, steam gauges in the cockpit (and not MFDs) , civilian style white cockpit complete with brown leather grab handles...

These upgrades (along with a bunch of other "under the skin" stuff) willl be applie to all the A/MH-6's (bringing them to A/MH-6M standard) in US Army service over the next 10-15 years, making what they've got in A3 a bit behind the times...

The A3 one is the ToH heli, with no changes visible at all.