Sign in to follow this  
Defunkt

A2/OA/BAF Assets in A3 - Official Add-Ons (discounted for owners of the originals)

Apologies if this has been discussed already, I did search but it was just about impossible to narrow the results meaningfully.

I'd be surprised if it hadn't been discussed. When A2 came out lots of people wanted an official Sahrani port and I imagine there will be even more calls for Chernarus after A3's release. Personally I hope A3's terrain rendering is so thoroughly improved nobody will really care to run the old maps but I do think BIS will have missed a trick if they don't offer units (all characters and vehicles) from the A2, OA and BAF/PMC releases updated for use with A3 at or shortly after release.

This seems especially important given the near-future departure for this new iteration as a lot of people are drawn to this series predominantly because they want to play in a contemporary setting. As I remember it, it was a looooooong time before modders were in a position to release new infantry units for A2 and there's no reason to imagine it won't be the same again this time.

BIS should be leveraging the content they have in hand to make a bit of extra cash and providing an option for those fans who don't want to play only near-future for the first six months. I wouldn't much care what it costs, maybe $7.50 for each (A2, OA and BAF/PMC combined so three in all) if you owned the relevant original and $12.50 if you didn't? I know modders would do it eventually but it'd be in drips and drabs and maybe without access to sources that would allow them to update them all properly to the new standard.

They should have somebody working on this now IMHO.

Has my vote. Same should go for TKOH imo, btw. The shared engine (with micro differences) brings something very powerful and useful, that seems underused for now.

IMO there would be no need to pay for the content if you already own the original games, if it's just an automated migration of the old content to the new game.

However if a lot more would be involved, then indeed I think the discount would be a nice idea.

I say no unless implemented in a proper way.

What I fear: A DLC with all the Units and Chernarus, everybody who doesn´t want to buy it get the low quality variants, even if you purchased Arma 2+OA and by that already own the content.

A good way to do this would be if Arma 3 checks if Arma2 content is installed and the user gets a sprocket download code or something like that for free so that he can easily transfer the Arma 2 content into Arma 3. People that don´t own Arma 2 stuff can buy this download package for a reasonable price.

I say no unless implemented in a proper way.

What I fear: A DLC with all the Units and Chernarus, everybody who doesn´t want to buy it get the low quality variants, even if you purchased Arma 2+OA and by that already own the content.

A good way to do this would be if Arma 3 checks if Arma2 content is installed and the user gets a sprocket download code or something like that for free so that he can easily transfer the Arma 2 content into Arma 3. People that don´t own Arma 2 stuff can buy this download package for a reasonable price.

I agree with you. However, I would be okay with having to rebuy the old ArmA2 units revamped for ArmA3, because I'm assuming the devs would have had to do a lot of work revamping every single one of them to work with PhysX and whatever else comes with porting them over. For $15 or so, I would have no problem just buying the ArmA2 units.

BIS "should" make a simple port of all old/obsolete units + stuff with a pricetag on it? Really? Buying the same stuff again? :icon_rolleyes:

Imho the only way it could work is to upgrade all old units+stuff to A3 standard - IF BIS would have enough time, money and motivation for this work.

Well if they really upgrade the content to full Arma 3 standard (although I doubt it seeing that Arma 2 Units are not on OA standard) then I would be ready to pay for it, but I´m no way going to pay for the same stuff twice.

Are you joking? Why would I pay again for a content that I already own?

What's wrong with stuff like CAA1 which is a great free community port?

Hopefully this community hasn't reached the point where plane sim/wargame communities are with their "please devs please rip us off"

Are you joking? Why would I pay again for a content that I already own?
Because, if you read the thread, the content would be upgraded with full A3 functionality.

And does this full A3 functionality include many fully remodelled ArmA2 guns which haven't been changed since ArmA1? Like M4s

What about remodelled soldiers which will look low detailed in contrast to new units? Not mentioning that changes need to be made for them to carry backpacks too?

And that's in case BIS will go remodelling stuff from ArmA2 vanilla (which they won't).

As for the newer units (OA/BAF/PMC) I will have to pay for them only having a ragdoll? Sorry I'm not sold.

I also don't want to pay for maps being ported. Why would I want to pay for Chernarus or Takistan again for no reason?

+1 I definitely would want to see A2/OA missions running in A3. The price dosent matter.

Too much pain for a very little gain ... Guess BIS will move on and advance instead of working on remakes for some people who don't want/like new + awesome A3 stuff. Maybe more different missions should be made to lure new + old players into the alternate reality of A3? Somthing that makes any resistance futile... :cool:

They didn't even ported A2 to OA, guess what?

Lets see what the new mod management brings, maybe it would not be so painfull to join a server with CAA1\2.

And does this full A3 functionality include many fully remodelled ArmA2 guns which haven't been changed since ArmA1? Like M4s

What about remodelled soldiers which will look low detailed in contrast to new units? Not mentioning that changes need to be made for them to carry backpacks too?

And that's in case BIS will go remodelling stuff from ArmA2 vanilla (which they won't).

As for the newer units (OA/BAF/PMC) I will have to pay for them only having a ragdoll? Sorry I'm not sold.

I also don't want to pay for maps being ported. Why would I want to pay for Chernarus or Takistan again for no reason?

I think you may have missed the part about it being a voluntary purchase.

As it represents an easy DLC for BIS, and represents a quality second map for ArmA3 players, I think the possibility of Chernarus for a small fee presents good value particularly for newcomers to the ArmA franchise. It's a very high quality map, and it already exists in a usable format. And, like almost every other purchase, it's entirely down to whether or not you want it.

*edit*

Oh, and I would happily pay a small fee for those units to have a ragdoll :) I've never felt ripped off by BIS, every purchase I ever made from them has returned entertainment far in excess of its cost.

Edited by DMarkwick

I think you may have missed the part about it being a voluntary purchase.

There's no such thing as voluntary purchase when it comes to DLCs. You either purchase it or not play on a huge chunk of servers. It's the same as OA being a "voluntary" purchase if you want to play ArmA2 in MP. Except OA is a new content and not Sahrani being repackaged.

As it represents an easy DLC for BIS, and represents a quality second map for ArmA3 players, I think the possibility of Chernarus for a small fee presents good value particularly for newcomers to the ArmA franchise. It's a very high quality map, and it already exists in a usable format. And, like almost every other purchase, it's entirely down to whether or not you want it.

Why would I want to purchase it again when I already have it?

Oh, and I would happily pay a small fee for those units to have a ragdoll :) I've never felt ripped off by BIS, every purchase I ever made from them has returned entertainment far in excess of its cost.

Why not donate to modders doing the same thing instead?

Why do you want to pay for something that has been free for 10 years? Like BIS allowing to port stuff from old games into new games for free which is the major reason I still buy their games. Because I know that old content I have won't just get blocked from me and each new game just builds on top of it.

What people here suggest is turning ArmA into CoDMW where Infinity Ward charges them for old MP maps.

Edited by metalcraze

There's no such thing as voluntary purchase when it comes to DLCs. You either purchase it or not play on a huge chunk of servers. It's the same as OA being a "voluntary" purchase if you want to play ArmA2 in MP. Except OA is a new content and not Sahrani being repackaged.

Why would I want to purchase it again when I already have it?

Why not donate to modders doing the same thing instead?

Why do you want to pay for something that has been free for 10 years? Like BIS allowing to port stuff from old games into new games for free which is the major reason I still buy their games. Because I know that old content I have won't just get blocked from me and each new game just builds on top of it.

What people here suggest is turning ArmA into CoDMW where Infinity Ward charges them for old MP maps.

Then just don't buy the fucking thing for Christ's sake. I'm sure the majority of servers will be running the new island in any case. I don't recall a complaint that the Proving Grounds map unfairly split the community.

Edited by DMarkwick

Well the problem is that if BIS would introduce something like this things like CAA1 or CWR2 would be prohibited.

I think that high quality snow map for ArmA 2 will be great, because there is not good snowland maps for ArmA 2 this moment.

Well the problem is that if BIS would introduce something like this things like CAA1 or CWR2 would be prohibited.

... as well as simply unnecessary, the benefits of a properly ported asset must be obvious.

I'd really like to see the old content being ported into the new game, either by BI or by CAA or something like that.

And if BI would upgrade this old content to A3 standards, Ill be glad to pay some extra bucks for that. But if they just port it into A3 and leave it as it is, I dont think that deserves my coin, since I already paid for it once.

Then just don't buy the fucking thing for Christ's sake. I'm sure the majority of servers will be running the new island in any case. I don't recall a complaint that the Proving Grounds map unfairly split the community.

Because Proving Grounds is totally Takistan sized and not new content?

Don't you think this fanboyism with "BIS please block old maps from getting ported and throw them into ArmA3 folder yourself while charging people who already have them" is beyond ridiculous?

What's next? Patches for money like Paradox? BIS adds new (old) driving system to 1.61, why not charge $5 for this hard work?

Because Proving Grounds is totally Takistan sized and not new content?

Don't you think this fanboyism with "BIS please block old maps from getting ported and throw them into ArmA3 folder yourself while charging people who already have them" is beyond ridiculous?

What's next? Patches for money like Paradox? BIS adds new (old) driving system to 1.61, why not charge $5 for this hard work?

Extrapolation into the ridiculous is a great argument. What's next? Do they give away the ArmA3 engine because it's only an updated ArmA2 engine? I already paid for the ArmA2 engine if they improve it and resell it to me I'm being conned. See how this works?

I did type that the benefits of a properly ported asset is obvious, apparently it is not. Still, I have at least achieved something, Metalcraze himself accuses me of fanboism :D

No with ArmA3 I pay for a huge new island, many new full-content armies, full new SP campaign and whatever single scenarios - among many many other things that I've never paid for yet in the series.

But seriously man - with your reasoning why won't we just pay for patches? Each new patch is like a new engine version basically. I also want custom cool helmets for money - like hats in TF2.

Do they give away the ArmA3 engine because it's only an updated ArmA2 engine?

Now that you've mentioned it - VBS2.0 RV4 update is completely free for VBS2 1.x RV2 owners

Edited by metalcraze

No with ArmA3 I pay for a huge new island, many new full-content armies, full new SP campaign and whatever single scenarios - among many many other things that I've never paid for yet in the series.

But seriously man - with your reasoning why won't we just pay for patches? Each new patch is like a new engine version basically. I also want custom cool helmets for money - like hats in TF2.

Are you really responding to a statement I plainly described as ridiculous? Immediately followed by a brand new extrapolation-into-the-ridiculous suggestion? That sort of conversational myopia is difficult to respond to appropriately.

But, whatever. Making up scenarios and attributing them to others for the purpose of easing your own argument is a truly lousy way to conduct a discussion. Toodles.

If the A2 content would get up to date to meet A3 details, than sign me up. When i imagine what ACE team (and modders ofc :) )could do with so much content i can't say no. Plus, even though im sure the limnos will be huge enough, It would be lovely to see panthera, chernaruss...etc again.Option is a great thing and if I could have that ''all'' for like 15$ than absolutely.

People preordered games like BF3 for 50$ just to get an early beta and they were happy, even though the final game turned up as quite dissapointment.Well considering BF2 success :j:

heck, I propably spend the same amount on espresso each week lol... :p