Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Camo Nets

Thanks for the mirror Foxhound!

@Wise - thanks for that feedback! I'm working on some additions to the 3D models to enhance AI detection.

@Reaper - Yes. The sniper nets are objects that can be created like any other object. You can use the "createvehicle" command for spawning any of the nets, which of course the sniper nets can be packed away into a backpack after mission start.

I instantly thought about AI view-block for these nets, that would bring a whole new aspect and justified reasons for deployment with snipers, glad your looking into that.

Old Bear thanks for the mirror!

@NoRailgunner - if you have a camo pattern in mind, please let me know and I'll add it... "all white" or white/green, white/brown, etc. ?

@Roadkill - awaiting your Nogovan Oak camo pattern for inclusion :)

I've added the View Geometry LODs which means the AI should see the nets as little blobs and not be able to see through them. I think. Need to test more.

I've been working on a few more nets as well for FARPs, etc. for the following vehicles:

AH1, KA52, Mi17/Mi8, Mi24, MV22, UH60, A10, AV8, Su25, Su34.

I need to tweak the nets a little more before I release the update.

Bigger pics:

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pnq48pDkZY-oT12qFk7_fo9omJxKfDEBOr5Fzh7viv-uzAyZgT2vSY377jUrf-tqNfOJa4xH9I6E/airnets1.jpg

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pqrReuIm2ZWEMcYtCzI7g73G4FzfRI7YxtJviyLmn24LCMzLJHAIjbdixe-5zI5d8CzaBozaN4m8/airnets2.jpg

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pp4J5n6cXIof_QUuZPRlqvVCJh7Ychh45qmJ0d2s_SO1XF1Z-lHbpo_TOYm4rQ1kICksQoMj3X_s/airnets3.jpg

airnets1_sm.jpg

airnets2_sm.jpg

airnets3_sm.jpg

Edited by hcpookie

as suggestion what about hangar shaped camo nets, or is that going off at another direction :)

Roadkill, I don't know that a HUGE camo net for planes would be feasible. I can make one that big for certain! :)

I have added the following camo patterns - I'm also going to add Nogovan Oak.

Large Pics:

camopatterns1.jpg

camopatterns2.jpg

camopatterns1_sm.jpg

camopatterns2_sm.jpg

SNOW CAMO QUESTION:

... which of these snow camo patterns looks better?

snowcamo1.jpg

The difference is subtle - the texture on the right side is slightly "dirtier" which makes it slightly darker.

The problem with the whites is that you get a large amount of reflection, which I assume will not be a problem on a snow map. If someone has a better snow camo pattern out there, I'll be glad to convert it to a net... for that matter, any other requests? :)

Thanks, the right snow camo looks a bit better. :)

Maybe just try it out how it looks and fits on Winter islands like Thirsk or Namalsk or CWR2 Kolgujev.

Just had an idea what about "building trench/fire position" with those BIS objects - can it be done same way like camo nets?

Yes they can! In fact the GITS Evolution maps have that very thing - deployable foxholes using the BIS sandbag walls and emplacements that vary in selection depending on the soldier class you choose. Heck you could add any object to a backpack if you wanted... a satellite recon station, FAC observation post, etc. The possibilities are endless!

I don't have any of the winter maps installed, so I'll have to defer it to someone that can test it. I will just release what I have now and plan for a potential update if the snow camo fails to deliver.

i think a few blotches of green would look nice on the snow net :)

a bit...MGS3-ish :D

I wouldnt mind winter nets that are white only :)

Miller, Old Bear, thank you both for the mirrors! :)

Update - I got the Nogovan Oak and it doesn't look bad!

Link to the pic (200k): nogoak.jpg

I have also been testing the new "AI" version and I must say I am pleased with the results! AI can literally walk up on top of you and not even see you. You will give yourself away if:

- You are not prone. You MUST be prone!

- You move your body. Head-only movements appear to be undetectable (at least in my testing)

The AI were fooled on all levels (Combat, Aware, Careless) and both Normal and Limited speeds. This was all with the default skill level. I have not tried different skill levels. Suffice to say, that the nets DO work against AI detection! :)

So an update is AVAILABLE! Should be the "final" update because I have received no more requests to add any additional camo patterns or shapes. See first post for download :)

Edited by hcpookie

really nice addon.

just one note: for some reason I am not able to pick up any of the camo net backpacks.

I am using ace and I can only drag them not equip them.

Do I need something special in order to get the backpacks working?

Thanks for the feedback! That's the first I've heard of a problem with it. The new backpack inherits from the BIS backpacks. There shold be no problems with any other mod unless it makes changes to the inheritance settings.

Can you try it without ACE? I wonder if ACE actually does change all the backpack inheritance... if so there could be an issue with it running on ACE. I don't run ACE so to be honest I'm not sure what inheritance I would need to change for an ACE version. I'd be glad to make a new ACE config if that inheritance information is available.

This is how ACE change the config:

class BAF_AssaultPack_ARAmmo: Bag_Base_BAF {
scope = 2;
class TransportMagazines {
	class _xx_200Rnd_556x45_L110A1 {
		count = 4;
		magazine = "200Rnd_556x45_L110A1";
	};
	class _xx_SmokeShell {
		count = 1;
		magazine = "SmokeShell";
	};
	class _xx_SmokeShellRed {
		count = 1;
		magazine = "SmokeShellRed";
	};
};
class ACE: ACE {
	class sys_ruck {
		convert[] = {"BAF_AssaultPack_ARAmmo", "ACE_AssaultPack_BAF"};
	};
};
};

I'm no expert on configs, but you will want to access something like this:

_classname_array = getArray (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> "BAF_AssaultPack_ARAmmo" >> "ACE" >> "sys_ruck" >> "convert");

_ace_classname = _classname_array select 1;

Disclaimer: Untested (2.25 in the morning)!

EDIT: Good addon by the way. Creative, I like that :)

Edited by Das Attorney

I am running ACE and can't seem to get the backpacks to work either. I can pick the backpack up, but I cannot deploy the nets. I have been playing around and testing but nothing is working. I can't find out how to actually get them to deploy. :S

with the aircraft nets do you just have to land the helicopters and that inside the net?

@DasAttorney - thanks for posting that info. I will need to look at that more closely because my scripting skills aren't the best. It appears that what you posted is changing the inheritance base class? I was thinking I was going to need to redo the entire config with a different parent class reference, but IF that's all it takes then I can whip this up no problem.

@FatalError, I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but the aircraft nets are meant to be used with the script, so that they will only appear when the aircraft is parked.

Otherwise it would look strange flying around with a net attached to the top :)

ohhh was didnt realise you had to use with a script i was just placing it in the editor and struggling to land and park a plane it it whoops :o

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

sorry having trouble with the instructions could anyone give me a quick overview of how to set it up im a bit confused with how to use a different camo net for the vehicles with the scrips.

Edited by FatalError

It appears that what you posted is changing the inheritance base class? I was thinking I was going to need to redo the entire config with a different parent class reference, but IF that's all it takes then I can whip this up no problem.

Let me know how you get on mate. If you have any probs, I'll be happy to have a look. I'm not very good at configs yet though. (Much better at accessing rather than defining :D). It's a really good addon and I'm just enjoying playing about with it in the editor :)

As far as I can see, ACE are really big on inheriting from existing config classes so as not to break compatibility. The men you would need to speak to though would be Sickboy, Xeno or one of the other ACE guys. They're all really helpful and I reckon it's better for you if you ask them at their site on DevHeaven. The ACE thread here gets cluttered quickly it seems to me.

I will need to look at that more closely because my scripting skills aren't the best.

Same here bud! :)

haha sorry have figured out most of it i just dont know what you have to do in the scripting to change the camo of the net

Update - I got the Nogovan Oak and it doesn't look bad!

Link to the pic (200k): nogoak.jpg

Thank you for including the Nogovan Oak camo, ive only just seen the update. Ive been distracted by playing Skyrim :292:

I'm going to play with the ACE settings some tonight. I have downloaded and installed all the ACE mods so I can try to get it to work.

@FatalError - did you READ the readme? Everything you need is there :) Also look in the first post; I reorganized the information to make it easier to find. Look for the section:

==============================

VEHICLE SCRIPT USAGE

==============================

...and

==============

NET TYPES

==============

I need to reorganize the readme as well. :)

Edited by hcpookie