Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Praha (Prague) - what to do, what to see?

I'll be visiting Prague next week + every few months from then on. Can someone recommend me what to see, what to visit, what is cool and what to stay away. Tnx :)

Well, I stayed at Hotel Ariston (near Žižkov TV tower). Perfectly fine place, but a bit off city center. I don't think there was a lot to see east from there though, except for the Vitkov Mausoleum. Didn't get a chance to see it up close, because it was way too much to see in city center for a 4-day trip (long weekend).

I can recommend taking the tram up to Pohořelec (Tram #22) and walk your way down to the river. It's quite a nice trip. Got lots of sights to see on that route. Especially Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral, but also lots of old buildings and churches to look at. There should be a couple of cafés/restaurants along the way. Very nice on a sunny day :)

Walking from the National Museum to the old town square (where the clock tower is) is a nice trip too. Got a few modern shops along the way, if anyone is interested. But really, anything in the old city area is worth looking at. There are so many roads and side streets with small shops and pubs/restaurants in this city, it's almost better then London.

You should get a tour guide book though. There is so much to see. Makes it a bit easier and interesting to find and understand everything Prague can offer.

PS: Watch out for pickpocketing though. We were close to getting nicked a late evening on the tram. They worked as a team, posing as tourists themselves (guessing they were from Eastern Europe. Not Czech). Two guys went in front of you, blocking the entry, while two other guys blocked you from behind. Literally boxing you in so they can pick your pockets. I'm not sure there is any real danger of that at this time of the year though, but just bare in mind that tactic they are using. ;)

Edited by colossus

sex museum

seriously...there is one in prague

or drop into BIS

You should visit "U fleku" beer tavern / pub, I was there in 1989., looong time ago. :D

IMHO, Prague is the most beautiful city in the world (never been to Budapest though)

When I visited a couple of years ago we had a great time and old Prague is one of the few cities I have visited were I can say - it was all good. The main feature is the wonderful architecture.

We stayed at the Cloisters Inn on Konvictska St. It has nice modern rooms. The Italian restaurant across the street was very good and the other local restaurants were all nice. There is a nice Beer cellar same side of the street as the Italian. Food that might not be to your taste, the local river fish and potato dumplings. Always get bread dumplings when trying the goulash. Try the local beers

If you stay in the old city there are lots of palaces and churches to see. The ruined Jewish cemetery that was vandalised by the Nazis is worth a visit from a historical point of view. The entrance fee is a little high in my opinion.

A walk along any street or a visit to one of the markets is always entertaining.

If you visit the rock museum (yes it's every kind of mineral known) remember not to touch anything, including the glass, or you will get an earful from the ever watchful old ladies. They will even pounce on you just for pointing at something. Keep your hands in your pockets lol.

It has a reputation for pick pocketing but it's not as bad as Rome or Barcelona. It has never happened to me but friends have been victims. It's rare now but you also might get people whispering about changing money. Don't bother - it's either an attempt to rob you or if at all genuine they have an odd sense of what the exchange rate should be!

Watch your pockets on the trams, the underground and the crowd that gathers at the Astronomical clock to watch it chime the hour.

Do not go to "U Fleku" if you dislike having a band playing "traditional" czech music right into your ear while you wait for that tiny portion of your food.

I was not sure if that music is actually played so the customers bugger off faster after their meal, but the average staying time seemed to have been 30-45 mins.

I suggest to visit the second castle in Prague that is not as known as the main one and has actually a pretty decent view (in the south of the city on the east side of the river).

Golden Bridge.

Or one of the countless brothels...

Now that's what I'm talking about. But I much rather get it for free. =]

Glad you're going to Prague and I hope you like it, here are some things you need to see (.p.s. Take lots of money with you because with today’s prices you will need it).

1. The old town square

2. Orloj (Astronomic clock, try to go there on a full hour like 12:00 and you will see a few puppets rotating in two little windows.

3. Charles bridge, make sure to look at the statues, there is one of St. Kyril and Metodej :smile:

4. You can visit the national museum, it’s beside the main train station, and there are two of them, old and new (the new one used to be the parliament in Czechoslovakia and both are paid extra).

5. While you're at the museum, see the statue of Svatý Václav (the king on the horse). The statue is right in front of the museum on the long street, you can’t miss it.

6. Have a walk through Letenské Sady, it’s like a garden-park, very beautiful in the spring, not sure about autumn tough.

7. Žižkov tower, duno how much the entrance costs nowadays, probably quite a lot. Or you can go to Petřínská watchtower, also nice.

8. National theatre

9. Don’t forget to visit the Prague castle (long walk up the stairs tough :biggrin: ), there is also a statue of Tomáš Garik Masaryk, labelled "TGM" beside the gate (President of the first republic)

10. When you are at the castle don’t forget to go inside the Chrám sv. Víta, very big church and its free (for now).

What else...

11. Have some Pilsner/Budvar or Staropramen beer

12. You can also have a ride in a hot air balloon somewhere near the river, duno where it is tough

13. Charels university (never been there myself tough)

14. Slovanský ostrov and palác Žofín which is on the island.

So yeah, there is too much to write here but just walk around the city it isn't that big and you will find a lot of cool stuff. Just take a lot of money with you because nowadays everything is way tooooooo expensive there, not like back in the day when beer cost 1 crown.

15. Oh yeah, don't forget to buy yourself a Matrijoška!

Or one of the countless brothels...

I wouldn't recommend that, unless you want to bring back something extra to Slovenija with you , if you know what I mean :tongue:

So yeah, if you need any help with finding something or some advice, how to get around etc..., napiši mi! :wink_o:

Edited by -Martin-

Turns out I'm going to Prague next June, is there a route for a humble nomad who just want to get absolutely shitfaced? A decent stretch of bars and nightclubs perhaps?

Did anyone watch the video of the czeck president stealing a pen? He just wanted to write a check :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH..............-_-

I've read somewhere that Chek Republic women are very easy.

Estonian women too.

Depends on how much beer they consumed and where you come from.

napiši mi! -> napiš mi!

Fixed.

HA, I just knew someone was goanna say this. biggrin.gif Thanks for translating what I wrote in Croatian in to Czech blum1.gif But at least you see IceBreakr, you won't have a big language barrier.

Visit Ondrej hair museum.

lol biggrin.gif

Edited by -Martin-

You should definately climb Petrin Hill and then up to the top of the Petrin Lookout Tower. The view out over Prague is fantastic. You can reach the top of the hill by riding the funicular, however, if you tackle the half an hour walk starting from the base at Hellichova, near Charles Bridge, you can reward yourself with a beer halfway up at Petrinske Terasy, also with great views of the city!

When looking for food, it is always worth crossing Charles Bridge onto the Castle side of the river and looking for somewhere nice. The food is better and more reasonably priced. When I was there we did this and found an underground pub/restaurant, in alley off Kamelitska with great food, a free beer with your meal and cheap, but good, wine!

I loved Prague, and will definatlely be visiting again!

Edited by .Taffy

I've read somewhere that Chek Republic women are very easy.

Estonian women too.

Doesn't matter where they live. If you have any game or personality, they are all easy. That's not a bad thing either. It's just human nature.

Thanks guys for all the info.

-Martin-: "napiši mi" is 100% correct. Napiš is actually a bit "informal" version ;)

Prague Zoo (http://www.zoopraha.cz/en)

The Army Museum in Žižkov (http://www.vhu.cz/en/stranka/armadni-muzeum/)

Petřín Hill as mentioned by Taffy

World Press Photo exhibition (http://www.worldpressphoto.org/Exhibition/2011_Prague)

or simply just czech this site :)

http://www.prague.net/attractions

Edited by adamicz

The aviation musem (Letecké muzeum Kbely) is worth a visit if such things interest you. It's free, quite easy to get to and has alot of planes from different eras.