Sign in to follow this  
daman3

Stuff is looking too new

I was looking at the screenhots of the game and ask myself

one question:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Arma-3-4.jpg

Why do the guns the rebels are holding look so new?

In 2025, these guns are by all means not antique but you can picture

that stuff like the FN 2000 and that other gun are most likely not

produced in large numbers no more and especially the rebels are using used versions.

For me, its an immersion killer to have guerillas fighting with weapons

which look like they are coming brand new of the factory.

I mean in most units, these guns look worse in 2011 already, since they

are in everyday use and wear off.

What do you think?

Also, a good weapon is a clean one. ;)

_neo_

I agree. I'm not buying A3 unless BIS adds wear to the gun textures. Someone make a poll.

let me show you something that will shatter your mind ;)

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

other than that i totally agree there should be more weapons with a used look especially on the guerrilla faction.

Its pretty obvious that the weapons have to be nice, its not Ak 47 they use(not only atleast) The Fn2000 is a modern and complicated weapon, I guess it have to be cleaned pretty often to function good.

Actually, I will rather have "new" looking weapon textures than bad weapon geometry. At least with the textures you can fixed them with some decent knowledge in photoshop. But fixing geometry can really be a pain in the ass.

It's a thing of an artistic approach, look at BF3 weapon textures -> totally artistic approach. In the reality, most of (maintained) weapons do not get damaged like that. Especially plastic ones, which most of the modern firearms are (mostly) made of. So it's either realism to go for or art... Btw. would it be nice for you to see the same scratch on every single same weapon model? Yeah, exactly, in Arma, you are bound to see at least 5 same weapon models in your close environment, the more detail you add, the more repetitive it will look... Same rule applies to tiling -> avoid detail.

Edited by Minoza

Not all weapons are damaged or used like 100 year service gun

I see there is specular with dirt , which is enough - no need too much scratched/used look of them

Because they got access to them somehow... Why should rebels always be equipped with old, rubbish or rusty weapons? :icon_twisted:

On a side note, for rebels/insurgents/warriors by chance they look pretty much hi-tech hi-speed gucci gear airsoft doll-esque to me - PRRs on every man, ballistic glasses, rigger belts, knifes in sheaths and proper load-bearing equipment all looks more like some SF unit trying themselves on a low-profile look. SBS anyone?

let me show you something that will shatter your mind ;)

The wonders of polymers. Rather than wood (that splinters) or metal (that scratches and coatings wear off of), the modern polymers used to make rifles like the G36 or FN2000 are way more damage resistant, and dont show lighter damage as clearly as previous materials.

It is, as they say, the way of the future...

Mainly because the supply is indeed new.

Also advanced composite materials, polymers increase damage resistance and weapon longevity. Smarter, Stronger, Faster! :)

Sure, every modeler (plastic or computer graphics) likes to grunge-up their models to make them look more realistic and pretty (following the wabi-sabi aesthetics).

In this case though, it would make sense for guns to look new, because they are new.

We don't know how long the Armaverse WWIII has been lasting until the Arma 3 Lemnos situation, but even if it has been a year or two, its not enough for every weapon to look like its been dragged in the Vietnam jungle and been to every war since.

I don't know the story, but its very probable that Iran has found some new wealth from within and also has been financed and equipped by China and/or allies, so it would make sense that all the weapons are more or less fresh from the factory, delivered to the frontlines still wrapped in cellophane with all the manuals and warranties in the box.

Also, the soldiers we are seeing could well be special units, not all footsoldiers could be issued such equipment. That also includes the Western side, as the story in Arma 3 could exclude regular grunts and focus in more well equipped soldiers. Or at least equipped with a fresh bunch of weaponry.

Plus, as it has been mentioned, the weapons are made of materials that don't age like those of more "classic" construction.

Yes, grunge looks pretty, but its not always realistic.

Well i would like to see dirty vehicels. Its a greek island and it sure as hell has dirt roads, so there should be some dust on the vehicels.

I'm sure there will be animals... so I'd like to see the occasional pile of shit on a road too. :rolleyes:

Well i would like to see dirty vehicels. Its a greek island and it sure as hell has dirt roads, so there should be some dust on the vehicels.

Vehicles are dirty if you have not noticed ,but not too much like ArmA 2 Humvee :p

As long as we don't have the ugly and overdone weathering effects à la FP : RR...

Word on that.

What -would- be nice, though, would by dynamic weathering on Uniforms and Vehicles, though, sort of like the weathering in IL2ClOD. It´s done via a weathering texture layer that can be blended in by varying the opacity.

That kind of thing´d be rad too. Though, this really is of tertiary concern. Realistic weathering on guns and kit won´t bail the game out if it´s another inaccessible, clumsy behemoth like Arma 2 was at release.

But what about Greece, will they be able to afford nuke-safe plastic roads and trees in the future?

I was looking at the screenhots of the game and ask myself

one question:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Arma-3-4.jpg

In 2025, these guns are by all means not antique but you can picture

that stuff like the FN 2000 and that other gun are most likely not

produced in large numbers no more and especially the rebels are using used versions.

I mean in most units, these guns look worse in 2011 already, since they

are in everyday use and wear off.

What do you think?

Those guys are either Greek militias or Greek guerillas (check out the red piece of cloth on their arms). So the guns are either donated by OPFOR or captured from OPFOR.

You are not limited to old gear when you are a para military group you know :)

Dirt doesn't exist in the future.

Of course it doesn't exist. This is a simulator, WE don't want fantasy crap in OUR game.

Edited by Maio