Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

^^^ +1

Another thing is I wish that the UI text had that sort of hi-res, snazzy, fun-to-click quality that you find in high end simulations. Don't know how to explain it, but I know it when I see it :)

Part of the reason for the lack of a fix seems to be that if BI did indeed try to "narrow it down", someone would moan that BI wasn't focusing on their priorities, no matter how no one else might share them... :rolleyes:

I'm not going into the action menu/"world interaction" revision concepts here since there's other threads (probably with more thought put into them than I have), but in regards to a customizable quick-select menu, the only "outside of Arma" model I have for that admittedly is the AC series' method. Bad Benson, in your proposal do you intend that the categories for the commands be fixed and that customizability be limited to "any commands within said categories"? By categories I mean stuff like "move", "stance", "combat mode". In my vision, the idea was for any commands irrespective of category, though possibly with separate sets of available categories if a group is all of a like type (i.e. all infantry, all wheeled, all tracked, all boat, all fixed-wing, all rotor-wing). Admittedly I haven't come up with a clearer solution for composite groups, or at least I don't have an "outside of Arma" model in mind that's consistent with the above... that being because my understanding of the "outside of Arma" models in "squad-based tactical shooters" is that it's usually just an infantry fire team (thereby "all infantry" in my above definition) with attached support (read: a "composite group" in my above definition) being controlled by separate keybinds or specific to a mission.

I've done this before A3 release (you should be tired of this image by now) but was working on this sketch (highly undone; just the first part of what would be a 3 parte thing covering Commanding, World Interaction\Action Menu and AI behaviour) but you can get the idea) of an improved system: Linky

Dropped because without codding skills it would lead to nothing; Sakura Chan is doing something similar and I trust his work, so I wait.

But I don't believe a custom menu would easy thing, on the other way actually, more problems because of untested combinations (and we all know these happens too often on Arma).

Wihtout doubt it is something that must be tackled; THIS is what make people struggle while playing, not realistic\hardcore game mechanics (and thus, where you lost a costumer); in fact, more complexity ingame would be welcome if it was accessible because it would set the game apart from everything else.

Simple example: top-down vs direct attack on missile launchers; if it was a simple thing, matter of a single key press and a clear indication of what you done on the GUI (and and the symbols\lights are there already), wouldn't be a "oh it's because it is a sim" but something natural.

My little brother sometimes see my playing or editing a mission and say that he wish he know how to play it but it's an overwhelming task. Guess you can fit a lot of gamers in his place.

Edited by Smurf

@Chortles: upfront. the argument that "someone" would complain about "something" is just silly. there are concepts like quality that are universial. BI just went with a simple list like they did with the action menu. maybe they have coders making the UIs but that's just not much effort put into it. i'm not saying they are lazy just that the fact that it's been like this for a while doesn't mean that it's the best they can come up with and the ultimate solution.

sorry. i'm really tired so excuse me in advance if i misunderstood. but what i gather from your post is that you are concerend about selecting the units themselves? there doesn't have to be made any changes to that in my opinion. when i talk about the command menu, i don't mean the F1, F2, etc. selection of units but the actual commands you give the selected units.

but if you wanted to you could even redesign that too. there are no limits really. there's a lot you can do with UI design. look at windows and mac os and you will see stuff they have in common that just proved to work well and stuff they do differently. there is not just arma's way and AC's way. it's just a matter of organizing it in a progressive intelligent way.

look at smurf's concept. a radial menu with symbols, that has the main categories, is much more tidy and the way the player interacts with it is also different. most radial menus work by holding a key and when you release it the option the mouse is on gets applied. for arma this radial design could expand outwards to give you more options when you hold the mouse over a main category. that way the main menu is still there and nothing gets hidden by the current menu. the current command menu works basically like a book where the current page hides the last page. it's a bad solution. along with that there are lists like the action list, that i mentioned, that just can be removed and replaced by an interactive dynamic system.

with these changes it would not even be a problem to add more stuff like what windwalking did with his mod. just a matter of how it's arranged. accessibility and intuitive design are not the opposite of complexity at all. the first two can rather be a way to make the latter more enjoyable.

EDIT: i realize that we are derailing quite a bit now and that the menu will most likely not change anymore. so apologies for the long post :o

Edited by Bad Benson

look at smurf's concept. a radial menu with symbols, that has the main categories(...)

And I don't even think that is good anymore, could be make it only one layer deep, max 2, just one key to open it. The division of the squad in little groups like done in SWAT is already possible (agree with benson, unit selection is fine as is, but grouping them and make them act more self sufficient when comes to ammo\health\cover issues is a good one) but isn't that easy to select them - could be similar to both SWAT or RO2 where you can control several fireteams (but it is useless because of the game as a whole) at ease.

Even better example: Brother in Arms! (how I never thought about it?!)

It even has a ST squad radar thing! Mix that, SWAT4 and Arma ofc and you are game!

Of course, always maintaining the one we have now at hand; It's great for when you have time to prepare but in the middle of the action it doesn't cut. Also, free the 1-9 row (0 for the complete menu), weapon and fire selection! I think it is a way to greatly reduce the entry barrier to the game.

Bet that sooner than later someone will pop up saying it will make the game too gamey, dumb down and whatnot but I say it will even more realistic! You don't think twice to do most of these things.

Anyway, last discussions on this I believe were made here: Controls-Scheme-amp-User-Interface-Feedback

Worth move these posts and continue there?

Guys, I know a lot of you do not like Mods (:p), but check this one for a better command interface: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152224-CMI-Command-Improvement-Mod

Yay!

Well to be fair, it's not the we don't like mods (I say we because I'm probably in the group you're taking a jab at :p). Just that no mod can substitute BIS fixing the issue.

Guys, I know a lot of you do not like Mods (),

so this turned from "look this reviewer is a retard because he doesn't like arma's fabulous UI" to "you guys don't like mods". damn! what did i miss? :p

Come on, I was jesting with you. :D

Sorry if it looked like I was serious.

Yay!

I agree with the commands aspect of all of this.. its always been too tedious and cumbersome. It has to flow naturally even if you have to assign main things to keys. Its better now that you can hit tilde and command everyone to move somewhere with the spacebar etc but that is the most simple thing.

The issues I have is you have to specifically give commands to people to rearm and heal people where it should be pretty simple. There should be a basic layer of commands to "everyone rearm where possible" which would let everyone know to go to the ammo bearer or to get it off corpses or ammo crates nearby. If we want to be more specific then we can open up specific orders.

There should be simple commands which make the ai think for themselves and then a second layer of more fine detailed commands for the nitpickers who want to micro manage their squads.

I agree with the commands aspect of all of this.. its always been too tedious and cumbersome. It has to flow naturally even if you have to assign main things to keys. Its better now that you can hit tilde and command everyone to move somewhere with the spacebar etc but that is the most simple thing.

The issues I have is you have to specifically give commands to people to rearm and heal people where it should be pretty simple. There should be a basic layer of commands to "everyone rearm where possible" which would let everyone know to go to the ammo bearer or to get it off corpses or ammo crates nearby. If we want to be more specific then we can open up specific orders.

There should be simple commands which make the ai think for themselves and then a second layer of more fine detailed commands for the nitpickers who want to micro manage their squads.

Not only that but again, a human Team Leader under an AI squad leader should be able to command his own team instead of the team just following him around... But that's a discussion for a different thread.

So...

we are a US NATO soldier on a Task Forced combined with FIA or, most probably due the fixed wing squadron, AAF.

EDIT: Or I could just read what the pic says and tell it's a NATO\AAF TF. :j:

Edited by Smurf

So...

we are a US NATO soldier on a Task Forced combined with FIA or, most probably due the fixed wing squadron, AAF.

EDIT: Or I could just read what the pic says and tell it's a NATO\AAF TF. :j:

What I don't get then is, well, why aren't the AAF BLUFOR and the FIA independent?

Betrayal!

AAF become friends with NATO; steal their schematics for UAVs, turrets and more after using it on their own vehicles (!!!!); hand over to CSAT because they needed something to match their high tech helmet and vehicles. AAF and CSAT become BFF and NATO can't do anything because AAF have the air superiority with it's only jet; NATO rages war with help of FIA to get their tech back.

As the war goes on, new tech is developted: up-armored tanks, VTOL aircrafts, shotguns (were unknown until then), bipods and finally railguns (or coilguns, but rail guns sounds more awesome).

Anyway, the side with the A-10 wins.

Edited by Smurf

Betrayal!

AAF become friends with NATO; steal their schematics for UAVs, turrets and more after using it on their own vehicles (!!!!); hand over to CSAT because they needed something to match their high tech helmet and vehicles. AAF and CSAT become BFF and NATO can't do anything because AAF have the air superiority with it's only jet; NATO rages war with help of FIA to get their tech back.

As the war goes on, new tech is developted: up-armored tanks, VTOL aircrafts, shotguns (were unknown until then), bipods and finally railguns (or coilguns, but rail guns sounds more awesome).

Anyway, the side with the A-10 wins.

Haha, that made my day :)

Reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein in Operation Flashpoint: “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.â€

Now they have to re-invent everything which explains the copy-paste of weapon systems and autonomous vehicles

Edited by ScratcH334

Small task force isn't it?

1 Company of Infantry and helicopter squadron?

Surely America or NATO can send more than that

But the first part of the campaign will be about NATO forces steping down and packing things to go home when tragedy strikes, so it make sense to have few forces on a conflict that will escalate quickly, probably including more units from the upcomings patches.

Great news!

We intend to bring out several packages as Steam tools. The aim is to gradually update and enhance them - starting with the basics to get going. Our Community Tools package will eventually offer updated versions of things like binarization, PBO file packing, the Oxygen modeling tool (with PhysX LOD support), Visitor for terrains, many supporting tools, as well as sample data. Which of these get in the initial suite is not clear right now. We'll keep modders updated on progress.

SITREP #00028

Just read the lastest SITREP, pretty annoyed with BIS saying that the physx crashes have only just started and that they have just found some useful info about it. Theres a ticket with about 60 RPT's sitting on it for about 3 months, and they hadn't seemingly found it until now. But at least it should (hopefully) be fixed for everyone now.