Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

In that case they should also make the world look much darker during the day since sunglasses aren't a "free ride" against the sunglare.

well, yeah, I agree. And if you have orange or yellow eye protection, then your view should be tented that color.

I found the blinding sun one of the most annoying things in ArmA2.

I find the real sun annoying. I have a 5 mile run in the evenings..due West, the sun is in my face and having to peek/squint.

I do feel the realism and same annoyance..ha

BIS should make all the sunglasses work in every light condition - so people will have some visual disadvantages wearing shades in the night/darkness too. ;)

I guess polarised glasses shader is not implemented yet as DirectX shader, is it :)

The blinding by low setting or rising sun in Arma is ok by me, it's similar to RL IMHO (although the polarisers would help:)), the issue is more with default HDR making the ground nearly black when even a tiny bit of sky if visible in some situations, as though it tries to average the whole scene for same exposure (working like a average metering mode on a digital camera), which is counter to RL where your eyes adjust for that.

Yeah, i guess hdr is the real problem. Because, it definitely doesn't take into account how your eyes adjust. It just seems too drastic. Even more so at night when using NVGs. It does the same thing, even in those. It's like, if you turn 180 degrees, all of a sudden the view gets almost black, to where you can't see anything.

I remember seeing the real "blinding effect" which obscures almost the whole screen and causes heavy HDR, being gone. That means, the sun is still blinding but it is not as extreme as in Arma 2.

And as Celery the CWR²Dev said, the 3rd Person effect will most likely stay the same :)

3rd Person effect will most likely stay the same :)

But im pretty sure we will see Smookie animations making its way into 3rd person, staying the same meaning vanilla A2 or A2 with its possibilities with current mods?

I would love to see Smookies animation pack taken a step further in A3 seeing hes a developer now.

I was referring to the sun glare in this case ^^ That means, just like Celery said, the blinding effect will be almost non-existant when looking through the 3rd-person perspective

And only 3rd person have lens flare effect. :) Not sure why glare is removed in 3rd person, shouldn't it be worse in a camera with all the glass? I haven't noticed this myself though.

Yeah, i guess hdr is the real problem. Because, it definitely doesn't take into account how your eyes adjust. It just seems too drastic. Even more so at night when using NVGs. It does the same thing, even in those. It's like, if you turn 180 degrees, all of a sudden the view gets almost black, to where you can't see anything.

The only problems I see with HDR is giving too much value on the sky, and that it works pretty badly in certain places (inside the SUV looking through the shaded windows, or inside certain buildings). However, as a photographer in the real world, I know there exist some really tricky lighting conditions - both to "operate in" as well as to shoot in. It's a bit abstract compared to the real thing (doesn't really match), but they sure exist.

I wouldn't complain about NVGs other than being forced to turn HDR up to high in order not to be blinded by them. They have pretty much infinite viewing distance in the game (unlike the real world), and even if they overload during different circumstances, there is still overloading. There is even a tactic involving artillery flares against NVG soldiers to wash out their device, who are forced to take them off and wait a significant amount of time for their normal eyesight to adjust to the darkness (which is much shorter in the game, for "gaming reasons").

Notice how the "auto exposure" works in a real NVG (sky changing apparent brightness):

XIwPL3XyTG0

Ok, I understand when there is a bright light source. But does is it that drastic with just moonlight?

uAdT5_1LG0A

See here, though, the brightness doesn't change much. It's an older video, but just how drastically does it change?

Edited by antoineflemming

Hi guys. I beg your forgiveness for my English - I have it is not good. First, thanks to developers for the entire series and ARMA flashpoint! :)) I am writing to request that the big developers: guys, please create an animation acceleration and deceleration of a soldier in ARMA. And the animation looks like something stupid. It is not even asked, and tears of the soul).) Thank you! You are the best!!

Interesting. Not sure, actually. Maybe auto exposure/auto gain/automatic brightness control was turned off during the filming? Maybe my video featured older generation night vision? They're still far too forgiving in the game compared to what I've heard in real life. At least now you can't use them with scopes if the scope itself doesn't feature night vision.

Behind the scenes:

http://www.facebook.com/arma3official

Behind the Scenes!

Ahead of a forthcoming developer's blog, here's a peek at the kind of behind-the-scenes photos we're all set to share!

In the post, Ivan Buchta describes a field trip to Hungary, where some of the team were able to get to grips with a certain beast:

"the worst thing that could happen is that you miss the berm and the bullet would continue to a nearby village, or you displace your shoulder and the optics would tear into your forehead" ... the instructor 'joked'!

That link takes me to a sign up page, not any kind of content.

That's because you have to login or sign up with facebook to view it.

So now we have to have facebook account to watch ArmA3 news.... great.

So now we have to have facebook account to watch ArmA3 news.... great.

I agree, that's ridiculous.

Interesting reading about the new sound system :)

Very interesting :)

Getting two sound engineers and A3's designers to a car departing from Brno at 2:30am has been one of my biggest logistical achievements to date. :)

I totally understand that :D

Awesome. Great to hear the sound engine is getting some extra attention this time.