Sign in to follow this  
*zeewolf*

Arma: Cold War Assault

One question:

Should we expect unBINarized CWA config for editing/modding purpose?

bussinsounds you are confusing two different releases

ARMA : Cold War Assault is re-release of original engine of CWC and R with patch 1.99

Cold War Rearmed 2 is total conversion for Operation Arrowhead from dedicated community mod makers who (with our approval and support) is doing fully fledged remake of the original with all bells and whistles ...

Can someone from BIS give a list of reasons, or even a single reason, why an owner of OFP should download this 'update' ?

I can see no new features worthy of a 540meg download - indeed the 'update' seems to actually break a perfectly functioning game for some people on here (the disclaimer at the bottom of the Wiki even states that it may introduce new bugs).

So.......why should I/we download this ??

Because why let stubbornness get in the way of playing with the latest version of the game?

The bugs reported have since been fixed and I haven't noticed any others.

Because 540mb for an update with no beneficial updates in it seems silly.

Now, if it was running in the Arma 1 or Arma 2 engine (like when Valve released Half Life1 under the source engine) - THAT would be a must have download.

Really, are there any good reasons to update ?

Because 540mb for an update with no beneficial updates in it seems silly.

Now, if it was running in the Arma 1 or Arma 2 engine (like when Valve released Half Life1 under the source engine) - THAT would be a must have download.

Really, are there any good reasons to update ?

because it is a nice gesture from BIS, a present to the community. Obvious you cant see that and don't understand the true value of OFP.

I'm asking a serious question and you are trolling.

I ask again (and hopefully someone who has a sensible answer will reply) WHY should anyone download an update with no updates in it.

I'm asking a serious question and you are trolling.

I ask again (and hopefully someone who has a sensible answer will reply) WHY should anyone download an update with no updates in it.

Well to be honest if you don't see a reason to download it, you don't have to download, no one is making you. There is a changelog for this update, so there are some new features.

Changelog:

- Improved: Default gamma and brightness settings

- Fixed: Two cursors appeared in some configurations

- Fixed: Login hack prevention.

- Improved: cheat / spam protection.

- Changed: "missionName" function now returns user friendly name

- Fixed: Preprocessor bugs and crashes

- Changed: createMarker function now works only local

- Added: isServer function

- Fixed: missionStart function on dedicated server

- Added: disableAI option for disable automatic animation selection

- Added: User defined maps in missions

- Added: function: array find item

- Added: function getWorld

- Added: functions getPosASL, setPosASL

- Added: Event handler AnimChanged

- Added: function getMove

Thanks.

I already saw the list on the Wiki, which is what prompted my asking in the first place.

I didn't mean to provoke anyone with my question, I just thought that for 540mb there MUST be more than than those obscure fixes in there ?

Updated shaders maybe ? Better multi-core support ? High resolution textures and models ? A new campaign, or SP missions ?

Thanks.

I already saw the list on the Wiki, which is what prompted my asking in the first place.

I didn't mean to provoke anyone with my question, I just thought that for 540mb there MUST be more than than those obscure fixes in there ?

The whole game. Only need a key to unlock it.

Updated shaders maybe ? Better multi-core support ? High resolution textures and models ? A new campaign, or SP missions ?

Of course, and for free. It's Disneyland.

Is this 3in1 pack (cwc+res+red hammer) ?

Red Hammer isn't present. If you have gold upgrade, put your VoiceRH in addons folder and redhammer into campaign folder. You might encounter a few bugs on the cutscenes but.. it is worth to replay it. I'm having loads of fun.

Is this 3in1 pack (cwc+res+red hammer) ?

CWC + res, but :

...\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Campaigns\redhammer.pbo

...\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint\Addons\VoiceRH.pbo

Those are the two files you need to get Red Hammer content in CWA. I put them in a mod folder called @RedHammer and ran it as a mod for CWA. Works perfectly.

EDIT : damn ninja !

It may be disappointing. :)

But it's probably a bit much to expect,that list of upgrades,from a game that's

as old as flashpoint.Especially for free.

It wouldn't make good business sense to upgrade an older product,with

improvements that the new products possess.

It's the same game,minus any ties to Codemasters.Which would allow BI

themselves,to presumably market Acwa as part of any future "package".

But without any whingeing from CM.

Hence the size of the download and name change.To fully seperate them.

I may not be 100% accurate,but that's how I see it.

:)

Edited by Macser

So, i explored the new features, GetMove doesn't work as reported but you can get anims played by the unit through the eventhandler "animchanged" such as this in the init line :

this addEventHandler ["animchanged",{hint format ["%1",_this select 1]}]

Still don't understand : "user defined maps in missions"

Can someone from BIS give a list of reasons, or even a single reason, why an owner of OFP should download this 'update' ?

I can see no new features worthy of a 540meg download - indeed the 'update' seems to actually break a perfectly functioning game for some people on here (the disclaimer at the bottom of the Wiki even states that it may introduce new bugs).

So.......why should I/we download this ??

Unless you are interested in some of the fixes listed, the only other reason is you want to play multiplayer with someone using 1.99 - I think you cannot do this with the previous versions. Other than that, if the version you already have works fine for you, there is no need to download this version.

Probably a stupid question.

If you run (from a mod folder) say, a custom config based off of the standard 1.96 config, will this mean that you lose the benefits and fixes of 1.99?

Probably a stupid question.

If you run (from a mod folder) say, a custom config based off of the standard 1.96 config, will this mean that you lose the benefits and fixes of 1.99?

I have compared the 1.96 and the 1.99 config; they are virtually identical. The only differences are in lower/uppercase for the enums and some numbers are integers instead of floating point (like 1 instead of 1.0).

You should be fine with any 1.96-based config.

(Vektorboson was obviously typing while I was.)

In a config,I don't think there would be anything to "benefit" from,

as such.As it defines classes.1.99 doesn't add any new classes that

I'm aware of.

It's the new commands/functions that would seem to offer any "benefit".

Thank you BI.

When I started this thread it was more about allowing the remaining hardcore OFP community muse about what might have been with just one last patch. Yet again you have demonstrated your support for the community and your games. But moreover you have proved there is definately another meaning to the phrase: "Original games don't fade".

I have compared the 1.96 and the 1.99 config; they are virtually identical. The only differences are in lower/uppercase for the enums and some numbers are integers instead of floating point (like 1 instead of 1.0).

You should be fine with any 1.96-based config.

(Vektorboson was obviously typing while I was.)

In a config,I don't think there would be anything to "benefit" from,

as such.As it defines classes.1.99 doesn't add any new classes that

I'm aware of.

It's the new commands/functions that would seem to offer any "benefit".

Great! Looks like I can move all my mods over to it.

Great! Looks like I can move all my mods over to it.

Mine are working flawlessly.

Is it problematic in any way that the preferences list 1GB of RAM instead of its max of 2GB RAM?

Mine are working flawlessly.

My slightly modified ECP works fine but my own config based on FlashFX with Llaumax sky and some minor AI tweaks, throws up an error about missing cwa logo. The game loads if I hit enter to get rid of the message but the CWA logo on the main screen is gone. Not sure why. Still works fine so far it seems.