Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 81921

Here's the sun problem I'm having in an animated GIF. This is a mild case but there's times where it goes completely crazy and goes extremely white and then fully dim. Mostly happens until it hits high-noon. I turned off every single add-on and messed around with a few settings but this seems to have started in the later Betas.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/473845/GIF/ArmA.gif ( Click, it's over 5mb, didn't want to it in case there's narrowband users )

Edited by Sethos

What Config folder mate?

The one in My docs/Arma2 Arma2OA.cfg well thats the location for me you may have win 7 etc.

@ Sethos

Did you try different HDR settings?

Gnat;1958947']

I'm seeing a lot more detail further off also' date=' not just empty hills and plains.

[/quote']

yes, thought i noticed it. am really digging :yay:this effect

In saying that, it hasn't for me. I manually have to go delete the beta folder even after running the 'unistall arma2 oa beta patch shortcut'. The uninstall program says it has completed the job correctly, but it doesnt remove the shortcuts or the beta folder in the expansions folder. Not sure about the files inside the folder, but definitely not the folder. I think it is supposed to however.

Edit: I just confirmed this with the current beta. For me the uninstall shortcut fails to do anything apparently. It says it has done the job, but the folder size is the same after the uninstall is apparently complete. Anyone else care to try...maybe it's just me somehow? Probably not a game bug as such...but it perhaps could cause issues if you install the next beta overtop of an old beta expecting all files have been removed when in fact they havent?

Yes, I just confirmed the same thing. Patch install tech is now flawed. Please fix for next beta.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Excellent. I installed the new beta. All good so far. Got 49 FPS on Benchmark 08 using NVIDIA 275.33 driver and these settings:

video resolution=1680x1050

visibility=3405m

texture detail=high

vid mem=default

AF=high

AA=low (atoc=0)

terrain detail=norm

object detail=high

shadows=high

HDR=norm

PP=low

vsync=on (+threaded optimization in nvidia CP)

As per BIS suggestion to improve bloom and other PP effects:

brightness=0.8

Gamma=1.1

Basically just a hair slower fps than with vanilla 1.59 (that could be the new driver tho). There have been no changes to ATOC since 1.59, right?

I always use the beta uninstaller executable accessed from "Uninstall Arma2 OA Beta Patch" shortcut - works perfectly.

I reverted to 79600, and got 50 fps on benchmark E08 using same settings as above. Definitely decreased performance in 81921 (1 fps), and game seems a little more sluggish overall. Also, GPU temps are up to 4 degrees C hotter than in 79600.

Here's the sun problem I'm having in an animated GIF. This is a mild case but there's times where it goes completely crazy and goes extremely white and then fully dim. Mostly happens until it hits high-noon. I turned off every single add-on and messed around with a few settings but this seems to have started in the later Betas.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/473845/GIF/ArmA.gif ( Click, it's over 5mb, didn't want to it in case there's narrowband users )

Hi - I have always had this in Arma2 OA with my ATI HD5970 OC (doesn't happen on my other rig with GTX8800x2 SLI). Seems to be a combination of high HDR and heat. If I turn down the HDR and whack the ATI fan up to 80%, the problem mostly goes away (it happens in other games too). Strangely it seems less prevalent in this latest beta.

The other solution that works well is to run the game under a FEAR2 profile using Radeon Pro.

I suspect that this may be a problem with crossfire profiles?

Hi - I have always had this in Arma2 OA with my ATI HD5970 OC (doesn't happen on my other rig with GTX8800x2 SLI). Seems to be a combination of high HDR and heat. If I turn down the HDR and whack the ATI fan up to 80%, the problem mostly goes away (it happens in other games too). Strangely it seems less prevalent in this latest beta.

The other solution that works well is to run the game under a FEAR2 profile using Radeon Pro.

I suspect that this may be a problem with crossfire profiles?

Yeah, I know sun flickering is a persistent problem with Crossfire / ATi cards but my issue started right after I begun using these later Betas, the disco sun suddenly started rearing its ugly face :yay: Was thinking it could be traced back to a graphical rendering change in the Betas.

I did mess around with various settings to no avail.

CTD.

Settings:

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1024;

Resolution_H=768;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1024;

Render_H=700;

FSAA=1;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=536870912;

nonlocalVRAM=55312352;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

Windowed=0;

miniDump/RPT

All I can say after a while now playing with 81921 is that I don't see much gain or fixes compared to 79600, but I see degraded performance with this build.

It's most likely due to extended object draw distance.

Same FPS drop as with the PROPER addon that does this same thing.

If I'm correct it isn't a big deal.

Previously you had to set VD to 5 km to get objects to render at 3kms while the rest was an ugly empty terrain

Now it seems you get objects all the way out there, so 3km VD is 3km objects rendering distance as well.

I'm getting a single color artifact in Domination: In the settings dialog, the view distance gets a full cyan (unselected) or magenta (selected) color, also after fresh reboots with clean memory. I've never seen it happen before the latest (or few later, I skipped some) betas.

The color I get remind me of what happens when DX is close to crashing, when you get textures from all over the resources into the game, and these extreme colors come up. I've only had a single complete pc hang since this, but I'm not sure if it's related.

Have anyone else had artifacts in this specific gui element?

I can confirm there are some artifact happening to me too. Though it's very brief in split seconds, only on latest betas. But not in the setting dialogs, rather during gameplay.

I can confirm there are some artifact happening to me too. Though it's very brief in split seconds, only on latest betas. But not in the setting dialogs, rather during gameplay.

Same here. I percieve it as a short black flash during gameplay.

Now it seems you get objects all the way out there, so 3km VD is 3km objects rendering distance as well.

Yeh, pretty cool.

Unfortunately but the broken ATTACHTO is pissin me off.

Anyone else getting worse FPS with the Beta?

I think them (devs) adding new technology in betas causes slight FPS decrease. Nothing to worry about too much since new technology brings enough advantages to compensate minor FPS decrease.

I also noticed decreasing FPS when benchmarking all 3 benchmarks with previous older betas. See report here.

Minor FPS drop is not god in a game where we get next to zero FPS any way.

I have a fairly good rig but tbh still get poor FPS some times shame cus I love ARMA :( but have to play it in slide show mode or crap detail mode.

Well I play at mainly normal to high and get bad FPS some times.

Q6700

ATI 4890 1gb ram

4 gb ram

etc etc

BSOD after hour or two of playing in multiplayer. Any try get out from the game after long playing in multiplayer cause 100% BSOD.

I also like the liquid scoping now, but the fps difference to 1.59 is big for me and my low-end rig. Cause i'd prefer to have more fps in general instead of being able to scope without fps drops..

but the past showed, they put it in, so it's in..like ambient occlusion on post processing. i guess i have to live with that..

and plz don't tell me to buy new hardware again...

I also like the liquid scoping now, but the fps difference to 1.59 is big for me and my low-end rig. Cause i'd prefer to have more fps in general instead of being able to scope without fps drops..

but the past showed, they put it in, so it's in..like ambient occlusion on post processing. i guess i have to live with that..

and plz don't tell me to buy new hardware again...

I have to say that I agree with Fruity that an overall FPS drop to fix minor issues is not worth it for a game that is so demanding on hardware already. My rig can handle the slight fps drop, but still...

I want to see a fix for more FPS not less.

This is my main gripe with ARMA I upgraded me pc twice and still does not run right.

I know me system aint the best but damn peeps with i7`s say its poor to some times.

Any ways BIS is awesome and I know they will sort it out in time :)

i like where bis is taking this. turning my settings down a tiny fraction (made very little visual difference) more than compensated for any small fps drop. for those with very low fps - why not post a pic of your settings for comparison?

Got 3 Out of memory crashes when playing Dogs Of War mission for several hours. Files emailed to Dwarden.