Sign in to follow this  
gunso

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?

I get this exact same feeling. After mission making for 3 hours straight, I thought I might try another game, Battlefield Heroes specifically. I played 2 matches, then got bored and went back to ArmA2. ArmA2 rocks and that's all there is to it.

I still play Battlefield 2142.

Titan mode is just awesome.

I wouldn't mind a mod that removes the ability to bunnyhop though.

Battlefield Heroes........ Unless your 10 years old or a huge fan of the village people that game sucks. Gay Gamer gave it a 10 for obvious reasons.

Edited by jblackrupert

After OFP and Morrowind it is the extremely unpleasant to me to run along the corridor and to look video which are lost each 2 minutes of game.

Now I play Arma2 and I wait BF3 and ARMA 3 as in the world of corridors and cinemas are the presents briliant. But in arma 3 will be the editor, therefore Arma3>>> BF3.

ok i'm guessing with arma 2, the 14 X 14 km map is one of the reason that makes it awesome. Heck, even OFP got such a big map at that time playing resistance makes me afraid to ride the small scooter away from the road in case i get lost.

But with arma3 70X70km map (correct me if this is wrong).....

WTF i can have ground units and a team of air units doing formation or dog fighting, it makes me tremble to even think of the possibilities.

Someone should make a faq so newbies shouldn't get put off when entering a multiplayer and he spent all the time running 10km chasing after the mhq lol.

After the original OFP I never really dipped back into linear style FPS shooters the only exceptions have been the few memorable tactical shooters which did a decent job, namely SWAT 4 and Hidden and dangerous 2, the later being possibly my favourite tac shooter outside the Arma series, and lastly possibly the STALKER series which does a far better job than it's given credit for although it's niether a tac shooter or FPS to be honest.

I still play Battlefield 2142.

Titan mode is just awesome.

I wouldn't mind a mod that removes the ability to bunnyhop though.

Battlefield Heroes........ Unless your 10 years old or a huge fan of the village people that game sucks. Gay Gamer gave it a 10 for obvious reasons.

Lawl. I deleted every other BF game I have, and just kept this one for the lulz. You get into a lot of really funny situations and it's a great way to blow off steam after a tough day.

But ArmA2 is much, MUCH better in general.

But the problem now, when i tried playing other newer FPS games like crysis 2 and etc and found that the path is linear, map is small, taking multiple hits from enemies or at enemies to kill and etc really gives me a bitter taste in my mouth.

I play all types of games. I like them.

I still appreciate a good thrill ride linear FPS.

I still go nuits for all the other squad based shooters too.

I play MMO's and RTS and turn based games. Poker and RPG's. Whenever I get bored I simply turn on something different.

I found that Crysis 2 is just immensely good fun.

It's just about the combat, the sheer fun of it.

Much more fun than ArmA, but with a lot less replayability. It will get old quicker.

Even so I regularly go back to my Crysis games and replay them through. Perhaps more regularly than I do ArmA.

When I go back to ArmA I pick up an new campaign or an expansion pack or I DL some mods or make a new mission for my LAN, and what I am playing is always new content.

When I go back to a Crysis, I play the same content again and it's still good enough to hold my attention even on the 10th time.

The original Flashpoint was like that. I went back to play the original campaign many many times.

For me personally games like BF2 etc i think arent much fun anymore because i played the style so much. I grew up with a Commodore64 and many of the games were killing for score (although there were many many artistic fun weirdness too :D ), but i think its one of the reasons these other "simple" FPS's doesnt do it for me anymore. I did it so damn much already. The things that has changed in these games is the graphics and sounds basically, but its still the same simple game type (which is fun in small doses!).

For younger players i can see why they love it since i did myself back in the days. Its just that i crave more these days. Without depth and diversity i wouldnt play games at all, and the ARMA series brings that so it appeals to my degrading 39 year old brain - it engages it in more levels/layers. Basically BIS make grown ups become kids again. :D And that a positive thing.

So yes i also measure titles against BIS ones - which most of the time lead to let downs (all the times ehrmm). And like mrCash i can sometimes get a game for some fun, but they all get binned or forgotten on the HDD after a week to a month. I baught BFBC2 and i did in fact enjoy it - for about 2-3 weeks. :) The only thing that would keep me playing such a game would be if i actually cared about scores. Something i stopped caring about when i left school. No, im more after the experience than getting on a highscore board. I did that enough during my teens.

Cant wait for ARMA3.

played cod2 today at school (teacher was sick so we had 2 hours of nothing)

noscope people in the face, they die.. ofcourse

hit someone 5 times in the chest with a luger, no death.

*starts arma*

No, no, no. Don't get started on CoD's pistols. ArmA2 is almost as bad as CoD that way. It takes 3-4 shots to kill someone with a pistol, which is understandable if they have body armor and you're shooting them in the Kevlar, but when I walk up to someone and put a bullet in their face, I expect them to go down. (I tested this in the Editor by blowing the heads off of some friendly units. Sometimes it took more than one shot to kill them to the face.) CoD pistols aren't much worse than ArmA pistols. ArmA pistols are one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion.

This brings to mind another thing I hate about games like CoD. Especially in f2p games like Combat Arms, people are constantly asking you things like "Wats ur kd d00d?" and if it's not good enough for their taste, well, "ur nub" or something like that. The kiddie obsession with ratios really frustrates me, because you're not only judging your entire opinion of someone on how good they are at killing people in a virtual world, but this exact same thing largely depends on internet connection.

*sigh* CoD sucks.

ArmA 2 has done to me for FPSs what Morrowind and Oblivion did to me for RPGs.

I cannot play other FPSs without comparing them to the unbelievable amount of freedom and options I have in ArmA and being horrible disappointed. I can't even enjoy Duke Nukem Forever because of ArmA.

So short answer to your question: yes.

It's not so much that I look down on other games as it is that I can't help wondering how this effect or that could be implemented in arma, kinda like MacScottie said. So no, I don't discriminate against other games, but I do ltend to look at them through arma goggles.

For me personally games like BF2 etc i think arent much fun anymore because i played the style so much. I grew up with a Commodore64 and many of the games were killing for score (although there were many many artistic fun weirdness too :D ), but i think its one of the reasons these other "simple" FPS's doesnt do it for me anymore. I did it so damn much already. The things that has changed in these games is the graphics and sounds basically, but its still the same simple game type (which is fun in small doses!).

For younger players i can see why they love it since i did myself back in the days. Its just that i crave more these days. Without depth and diversity i wouldnt play games at all, and the ARMA series brings that so it appeals to my degrading 39 year old brain - it engages it in more levels/layers. Basically BIS make grown ups become kids again. :D And that a positive thing.

So yes i also measure titles against BIS ones - which most of the time lead to let downs (all the times ehrmm). And like mrCash i can sometimes get a game for some fun, but they all get binned or forgotten on the HDD after a week to a month. I baught BFBC2 and i did in fact enjoy it - for about 2-3 weeks. :) The only thing that would keep me playing such a game would be if i actually cared about scores. Something i stopped caring about when i left school. No, im more after the experience than getting on a highscore board. I did that enough during my teens.

Cant wait for ARMA3.

Thats just how I feel..

These days I only play Arma and Falcon 4.0 AF though.

Did Arma2 makes you discriminate other FPS games?
Nope. The community and non stop support from developers did that well before Arma II was released.

While I still buy a few other 'military' games such as the Battlefield series (I will never buy a Call of Duty or Modern Warfare game), nothing compares to the joy I have when playing a BIS game... nor the longevity of their products.

Never before in my life have I bought the same game twice, yet I have multiple copies of everything from OFP to Arma II... and have them displayed proudly like they are trophies or family heirlooms. ;)

I was looking at games through Arma goggles before Arma even existed. Except before Arma it was more about the realism level rather than the size/variety, which is another big plus of Arma.

No, no, no. Don't get started on CoD's pistols. ArmA2 is almost as bad as CoD that way. It takes 3-4 shots to kill someone with a pistol, which is understandable if they have body armor and you're shooting them in the Kevlar, but when I walk up to someone and put a bullet in their face, I expect them to go down. (I tested this in the Editor by blowing the heads off of some friendly units. Sometimes it took more than one shot to kill them to the face.) CoD pistols aren't much worse than ArmA pistols. ArmA pistols are one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion.

This brings to mind another thing I hate about games like CoD. Especially in f2p games like Combat Arms, people are constantly asking you things like "Wats ur kd d00d?" and if it's not good enough for their taste, well, "ur nub" or something like that. The kiddie obsession with ratios really frustrates me, because you're not only judging your entire opinion of someone on how good they are at killing people in a virtual world, but this exact same thing largely depends on internet connection.

*sigh* CoD sucks.

Actually, if you shoot your friendly allies in ARMA 2, it takes more shots to kill them than the enemy AI. I have tested this in ARMA 2 and my friend messed around at night and pulled out a silenced M9 at a random OPFOR guy standing in the night. He pop one bullet in the face and the guy drops dead. I guess they made it harder to kill your allies. I pop 1-2 rifle arounds in a enemy and he'll drop dead. I tried on my friendly AI and he's still alive.

Actually, if you shoot your friendly allies in ARMA 2, it takes more shots to kill them than the enemy AI. I have tested this in ARMA 2 and my friend messed around at night and pulled out a silenced M9 at a random OPFOR guy standing in the night. He pop one bullet in the face and the guy drops dead. I guess they made it harder to kill your allies. I pop 1-2 rifle arounds in a enemy and he'll drop dead. I tried on my friendly AI and he's still alive.

Either something is wrong with your game or it's a difficulty setting.