Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Is ArmA III having the OFP:CWC vibe?

My two bits on how the campaign should pan out.

First, give us a chance to get a grip on the situation and who you are. Harvest Red did that pretty well with the briefing on-board the Khe Sahn, as well as showing a quick glimpse of the war in the eyes of some random casualty, and his fight to the death. It gave one the idea of what was going on over in Chernarus, and a quick glimpse into maybe someone else's life (he doesn't have to die) would be nice.

So, my plot for ArmA III-Start by showing a NATO convoy set in the months before the events of ArmA III. It'll be its own mission, actually. Anyways, you are a random squad member for a NATO infantry force deploying into Greece to help counter the Iranian invasion. It gives you time to adjust to the controls, set your settings, etc., while also introducing the desperation of the world's situation. The instant the vehicle stops, you are flung into the heart of what could be the Third World War as the Iranians move towards the hastily-made NATO position. Their orders? Hold as long as possible. So, you do. You fight in a war that is not yet the players, but over the radios one can hear reports of the size of the Iranian forces, the sheer amount of men and armor OPFOR is throwing at you in the hope that they can blitz through Greece before the United States can get its act together. Eventually, though, it becomes a hopeless situation. The Iranians are too strong, and the player must fall back to the troop transports. Note one thing-there are two different ways to end this. The first is to reach the transport and be evacuated with the rest of the survivors of your ill-fated line. Or, you could be killed while attempted to retreat. It should not be a scripted thing to survive, or a scripted thing to die. Your fate relies entirely on what you have picked up in the last stand, and see if you can lead this faceless soldier that you have temporarily become to safety.

Fast foward to ArmA III itself. Iran has been halted for the time being, but everyone knows it is a temporary thing. As soon as they can recover from their sudden defeat near Athens (or, you could make it symbolic by having their loss occur during a naval assault on Marathon, hinting at the idea that perhaps the Player and his cohorts can throw back the new Persia), they will push, and push hard, ignoring the post-Marathon 2034 Jerusalem Accord (One thing: Why is Israel still with us? Iran would not hesitate to wipe out the nation in real life...). The United States has re-activated its 7th Armored Infantry Division, which is now operating out of Stratis Island. Meet Captain Miller. Strong, experienced, and most importantly, tired, has been fighting the war since it had begun, especially involving his Black Operations even during the treaty years, in which a single mishap could cause the start of the next World War. He has only a few years left in him as an operator for NATO, and they intend to capitalize on what could be his last op. His job? Deploy into Limnos to investigate the sudden build-up of Iranian forces, as well as lead the way on a risky pre-emptive strike, starting with the destruction of the several radio stations.

Miller's squad will not last long following the first few missions (the initial deployment of the 7th up until the botched withdrawl), but it is good to introduce them all the same to at least build up some form of affection for them to make their deaths all the more real. Miller's squad is a recon and analysis squad, known as a CTRG, but they are more than capable with their coming job. We already know Miller, but then we have (in Harvest Red tradition) a Corpsman, a Marksman, and a Light Machine Gunner. The Corpsman's name is Walker, Steven I. As old as Miller, he has seen a good deal of men die, especially during the war, but has more care for the men in his squad than the war at hand, leading him to be more flippant towards the big picture, and more focused on getting everyone out in one piece. He is also extremely touchy towards the mistreatment of civilians, as he had seen multiple war-crime style offenses during the original flashpoint. The Light Machine Gunner's name is Taylor, Luke A. While not overtly aggressive, he's the focused type. He prefers to use stealth and silence up until the point where his LMG can cover the bigger stuff, thusly giving him a more focused and mission-orientated attitude. He is younger than most, and therefore he likes to talk chatter to his fellow squadmates when they are on base or out of the fight. Finally our Marksman, a touchy German by the name of Reider, Wurlitzer 'Wurlie' S. He is in-between Miller and Taylor in age, but his experiences in the field has given him a distant world-view, especially on the topic of killing, making him a bit of a foil for Taylor. The fact that he is the last person to see a man's eyes before he dies haunts Wurlie, causing him to be extremely unapproachable. However, the fact that he has killed only has made his care for the living increase, and could arguably care more about his squad-mates than Walker could ever, especially because he knows he can't patch them up if they get hurt.

CTRG A's deployment into Limnos begins with a Harrier infiltration off the shores of Limnos. Dropped successfully into the water, the squad proceeds onto the shores of the island. There are actually three installations on the island, as well as a large coastal GSM (Ground-Surface Missile, i.e. coastal defense missiles) station facing Stratis. A (hereby referred to as "Alpha") will have to push inland, set the charges on the three stations, then proceed south for the coast. Finally, they must clear out a village near the coastline so that way the 7th (the bulk of the landing forces) will have an automatic beach-head. The infiltration goes without a hitch, and as they begin to freely explore the island of Limnos and begin to find and plant the charges on the stations, every so often the rapport of machine-gun fire or the discovery of bodies increases the suspicion that a resistance exists on the island. Miller is somewhat determined to meet up with the resistance camp after their two day pre-invasion mission is completed, but they will have to wait. Investigating the GSM site leads them to encounter for the first time the two 'villains' of ArmA III-Colonel Vahid Namdar and General Ostad Attar. Attar is the chief of munitions for the Iranian military, while Namdar is his highly-capable lap-dog. The presence of Namdar leads Miller to believe that a new weapon is going to be fielded, or already is fielded, on the island of Limnos. Completing their infiltration of the GSM battery and sabotaging it, Miller calls for a postponement of the invasion until Miller can find the truth behind the weapon, and that means meeting with the people that would know the fielding of new weapons the best-the Resistance somewhere on Limnos.

The next day goes without a hitch (note that the first two missions above were actually the same mission. Mission number one is the flash-back, mission number two being the briefing akin to Harvest Red, and mission three is all of the aformentioned subterfuge, about a good six-hours worth of stealth and quiet combat), as they proceed north towards Atsiki. Reaching the city, Miller and his team must blend into their surroundings, forcing them to appear as civilians as they comb the city for information on the Resistance. Their chance comes as a Resistance team moves through the city towards the power generator, a subterfuge mission. Convincing the Resistance of their good intentions, Miller groups with the team and together they destroy the power generator. In exchange, the Resistance takes them to their headquarters in the heart of the mountainous desert. There, they meet the Resistance's leader, Menelaos, who informs them that they had thought the same way. Their investigations, however, had proved that the weapon had yet to be shipped to Limnos, and was not due to arrive for another few days. Should the Americans strike, they would have to strike now before the shipment arrives. Thus endeth mission four, and begin mission five, as the CTRG deploys to the south of the resistance network and clears the beach-head for the invasion, followed by the detonation of the explosives. With the island dark, the 7th lands and quickly secures a strong foot-hold. However, the sheer numbers of Iranian forces begins to slowly wear the Americans down, and Miller is called back in as an asset to help the 7th push towards the island's capital, Kontopouli. During the next mission, Miller performs several tasks to help relieve pressure on the 7th while the division continues north-east. These include several rotation missions such as call in strikes for air support, engage and destroy enemy mobile forces hoping to flank, mine passes, and anything that would keep the northern flank secure of the American division as they roll through the Island.

The sixth mission opens outside of Kontopoli, with US troops and the CTRG ready to push into the capital. As they proceed in, things go as planned, but then all hell breaks loose. The deployment of sudden, massive new tanks force the front lines to collapse, their massive rail guns punishing anything stupid enough to be in front. Furthermore, their infantry are backed up by advanced MAV-esque vehicles that perform excellently in the anti-infantry role. The weapons were already on Limnos-the Resistance had fallen for a clever ruse. Captured, Miller is taken before Namdar, who has been trying to track them since their attack in Atsiki. Impressed, Namdar seems almost regretful as he pulls the trigger on your squad-mates one by one, leaving only you. Stopping, he leaves you alone with your dying squad mates, as every shot had been to a lethal, but not instant, location. Your rescue is as surprising as one could expect, as it is entirely accidential. An Iranian soldier walks in to watch you until Namdar comes back, but is overwhelmed by the blood and the dead. Reacting at his momentary weakness, Miller knocks him unconscious, frees and then arms himself, and moves for the fleeing 7th as they fall back to their initial bridgehead for extraction. The world has yet to learn of the events on the island, however, and that has been the only saving grace on the island. In the seventh mission, attempts to leave the island are countered by every turn by the Iranian secret weapons, leaving what is left of the division on the island alone. The closest thing you have to a squad-mate now are members of another CTRG team deployed at the same time as the invasion to counter what was believed to be the weapons shipment. Sergeant Illing is similar to Miller, but the loss of his own team has lead him to become violently irrational at times. Also, his time as a prisoner for the Iranians has made him loath the enemy, no matter who they are. However, since he is far more capable than Miller, the flaws must be ignored. Also added to this motley crew is Colonel Martin Novak, a particle physicist with reverse-engineering skills turn soldier. Cold and cool, Novak does not see men as men, but more as particles in the bigger molecules or something along those lines. He is, however, a capable fighter, so Miller is glad to have him. Despite their entrapment on the island, the fact that the world does not know about the landings is their only asset. The survivors must link with the resistance, grow in capability against the enemy forces, and then push to destroy the Iranian secret weapons entirely. Another thing to note is that Miller now manages to translate a conversation he had heard when he first saw Namdar and Attar-the fact that the weapons had been created entirely on the island. Their creators were hidden somewhere, as were the initial equipment to make them. Should the BLUFOR manage to destroy all of these, NATO could land more forces on the island and assist them in ousting the Iranians from the Agean sea once and for all. Thus endeth Mission seven, and leads into mission eight.

More later... Opinions as I take a break to think up the rest of my Alter-ArmA III?

Let's get real

During CWC, single player was vital. People played online yes, but the netcode and internet speeds of users made net play less than ideal.

Now the campaign is based on preparing new players for internet play, which has been the dominating focus of the game since ARMA.

Yes, a good campaing would be fun! But I'd rather they spend their limited resources working on the sandbox and internet aspects of the game.

Let's get real

During CWC, single player was vital. People played online yes, but the netcode and internet speeds of users made net play less than ideal.

Now the campaign is based on preparing new players for internet play, which has been the dominating focus of the game since ARMA.

Yes, a good campaing would be fun! But I'd rather they spend their limited resources working on the sandbox and internet aspects of the game.

There is a conflict of interest here. For example, if I would discover that the campaign sucked, I would get a refund. I do not play online, I don´t have the time or the drive to join a clan (which all seem to have really prohibitive rules, attendance schedules and things like that.), and neither competetive nor RPG online play would draw me. None of the online material supplied with the game does cross into my realm of interest, and unless some big magic happens, never will.

I accept though that I am in the absolute minority here. Still, getting an empty game engine, with a handful of hollow, cobbled together demo missions waiting for the community to fill is not what I am in for. In the end, to me and the small amount of people that care about offline as much as online, or don´t care about online at all, the campaign and the basic SP content matter.

I care about the Armaverse. Unfortunately, so far, it´s been a bit lackluster. I feel Arma 3 has the potential to really draw one in. It could challenge a -ton- of questions, cultural, social, economical and ethical, in a variety of ways. Online content is for fun, Offline content is for art: to make a statement, and tell a story.

So, I hope A3 will not be a cod-ish pro-western propaganda fest. I hope it will realistically portray both sides, with each character having a backstory, a motive and an emotional curve troughout the campaign. I want to get the feel that I am dealing with people again.

That the campaign is divided into three acts is basic storytelling 101. OFP was divided into three acts. (Training, Arrival on Malden, Invasion of Everon up to After Montignac (Act 1), Meeting the resistance, fleeing to Malden and joining up with the US, fighting trough Malden and Everon. (Act 2) and finally, invasion of Kolgujev and capture of Guba (Act 3).

So, let's get back to the huge-story, and let's do Part I of the epic that is... Alternate ArmA (or, how I would make ArmA III's campaign).

When we left off, Miller's squad is dead, the American forces are trapped surrounded by Iranians armed with secret weapons that could end the war in weeks, maybe days, should they manage to be mass-produced. The only good news in this horrible situation is that there is still a way to beat the Iranians, but it involves a risky mission deep into enemy territory. The objective of the survivors is to find and destroy all things related to the new wonder weapons, all of them created on Limnos island in secret research facilities constructed immediately following the 2034 accords. If Prologue's theme was Disaster, then Act One's theme is Defiance.

Mission Eight involves again meeting with the leader of the Limnos Resistance, Menelaos. However, with the entire contingent of Iranian forces scouring the earth for the 7th Infantry, which has gone to ground and has hidden in naturally made cave systems, reaching the northern Resistance HQ undetected is a difficult thing. Using stealth, impersonation of Iranian soldiers, and even sabotage to get by, Miller alone reaches the Resistance's headquarters. Menelaos is, naturally, more than a little upset that the invasion didn't go as planned. Several of his operatives began to actively support the invasion during the early days, but when it was all said and done they were captured. Some were executed, but those who weren't were sent Myrina (Please reference the official ArmA III map here for more info on locations) to be interrogated. The Resistance was planning an operation to rescue them, but they need a distraction to draw the drones away from the area until they can secure the prisoners and escape intact. Miller is called upon to find a way to draw away all of the drone defenses placed around the prisoner compound, and that he does. Using a well-guarded ammo dump as a scapegoat, the plan goes according to plan and the prisoners are successfully extracted. On the way back, however, they stumble across an Iranian COIN unit, and a firefight breaks out among the vehicles. Miller and his resistance friends work fast, as they know that Drones are already inbound to assist. Luckily, they manage to win out and leave the area before the drones arrive, leaving Colonel Namdar (who has personally taken interest in the actions of Miller after his escape) frustrated. With the prisoners secure, and mission eight completed, we roll into mission nine.

The next step for the Resistance is to find and destroy the heart of the Iranian COIN missions into the desert strongholds, a base to the south-east. Destroying it would loosen Iranian (hereby referred to as IAF for Iranian Armed Forces) stronghold on the city. However, the Resistance simply does not have the equipment to fight through an entire IAF complex, and needs more munitions. Miller is sent back to Myrina, where a Resistance affiliate by the name of Nikos Panagopoulos operates his Black Market. Arriving in the city, it is easy to notice the sudden increase in IAF guards, as the area had been struck only a night before by you and your compatriots. However, Miller is able to sneak through the lines by passing himself off as a common citizen, or could sneak in through the coast by swimming using his wet suit, collected and now in Resistance hands for further use. No matter how he enters the city, Miller is able to meet Nikos, who is a brusque man. He prefers the life of a criminal, but knows that the IAF's rules are bad for business. Should they leave, Nikos' criminal empire would flourish. Thusly, a deal is struck. However, there is a catch. A 'close friend' by the name of "Maroula" had been captured during the early-conflict riots, but had been shipped away hours before the Resistance assault on the camp. If Miller can find and retrieve him, Nikos would send the weapons to the Resistance camp. Traveling east, Miller is able to find and secure Maroula, actually Athene Kourou, a energetic woman in her mid-thirties who once competed in business against Nikos, and before that was his lover. After the IAF invaded and her company shut down, Athene went by the name of Maroula and supplied the Resistance with enough supplies to begin the fight against Iran, as well as helped them set up their facility in the northern wastes. She had been caught however trying to find the location of the IAF's weapon research labs, and had been scheduled for interrogation. His rescue, however, has denied Namdar a lead on the Resistance facility. Returning to Niko with Athene, the shipment is sent and the hunt for the facility begins. Armed with a new team led by the Resistance, Miller begins using Athene's data on the IAF's labs, and eventually discovers the facility's entrance-near the Salt Lagoon, north of Kontopouli. Simply stated, though, Miller does not have the manpower to blow his way through the facility, and the heavy presence of both drones and new Iranian super-tanks makes the assault impractical without finding the Achilles' Heel for both programs. Returning, Miller is sent to meet the connection between the Resistance and the free world-"ODevil".

Mission ten begins with a discrete conversation with the man behind the curtain, CIA operative James "ODevil" Carlson. The man supplying the information and the training to the Limnos Resistance Group, ODevil is, at first look, a shadowy man in his shadowy ways. However, both he and Miller know that the only way to win this war is by being honest to one's allies, while lying to the enemy. Miller is filled in on the details known about the two projects and the mastermind behind it, General Attar. Attar was once the head of a company called "Red Pegasus", which actually has had dealings far into the past. It had supplied weapons to the ChDKZ back in 2009, and had helped give the Takistani nuclear capability. Of course, in both transactions it had hid from the cameras, but in reality it had been behind two of the century's most infamous conflicts. Now, General Attar had finished two of his many wonder weapon projects, Project Mace and Project Harpy. All projects were housed in separate facilities, as well as differing islands. Miller has found one of the two projects based off Limnos, but not both. Either way, it's a massive step up, but information needs to be garnered on both the 'Mace' tank and the 'Harpy' Combat-MAV (CMAV?), and to do so requires Miller to secure one. The Mace is relatively easy to steal-just hop in, deactivate any safety measures, and then drive it to a certain location where it can be taken to the Resistance HQ by tunnel. The Harpy, however, requires Miller to secure a control mechanism, the drone itself, and instructions on how to operate. The player is able to choose which one to do first, but all in all Mission ten revolves around the CTRG doing what its name is based around-securing and reverse-engineering enemy technology. Using their learned skills in stealth, the player is able to guide Miller to securing the Harpy components and giving it to Colonel Novak. However, the Mace requires brute force, and thankfully the new shipment is exactly what the Resistance needs. New prototype American-made AT rockets are spread out amongst Miller's assault team as they go to steal one of the tanks. Using the missiles to punch holes in all of the Mace tanks except for one in an armored patrol, Miller is able to find and disable the security measures as he drives the tank home. Naturally they send more tanks to kill him, but through effective use of his infantry assets and the tank in of itself, Miller is able to extract it to Novak.

Fast forwards two days. Resistance fighters have been actively intercepting and jamming all comms into Limnos as well as prenveting the creation of new radar towers, still leaving the island in darkness. Novak has managed to find the weak-points in all of the new Iranian wonder weapons. The Mace tank, besides being vulnerable to the new missiles, is also tremendously bad at observing heat-the rail gun creates far too much, and foils the sensors. The Harpy operate out of a single master terminal, which, if disabled, will cause all of the CMAVs to deactivate. The assault on the facility is launched in the early pre-dawn hours as Miller pushes through the Iranian defense and secures the facility. The player actually has a fifty-percent chance of having the facility be one instillation or another, but either way it is destroyed and its assets secured by Novak and Illing, to Miller's annoyance. Furthermore, an IAF map of the region had been secured, revealing the location of the second facility. Miller is quickly sent over to this location through the use of a civilian helicopter, which lands near an old base surrounded by Resistance territory. Upon landing, Miller is immediately engaged by a superior enemy force, but help comes in the unlikely form of a US issue combat drone, which had been sent over Limnos for recon. Upon its discovery of the assault, it immediately lended assistance to the friendly forces. A message is sent to the Resistance leaders that the Americans were gearing up for another attack, this time supported by NATO forces. In any case, the second facility is destroyed and its assets also secured. Now, however, planning can begin for the new invasion.

In Mission twelve, the Resistance makes its presence known to the world as it marches south in force to take Myrina, joined by the survivors of the 7th, now ready to make a stand. The unlikely onslaught is able to secure the city, and are tasked with holding out the IAF counter attacks as Miller leads the assault and defense. The Iranians, now without their wonder weapons, are far less formidible, and the Resistance is able to hold the line while also able to assist Niko in flushing out IAF supporters within the city inbetween assaults. The day's action ends when the vanguards of the NATO/American invasion appear off the shoreline, and new equipment and men are sent to refill the holes in the 7th's line. Miller is assigned temporary command over one of the American companies as the US begins its push to retake Limnos once and for all, ending Act One on a high note.

More later, please review.

Let's get real

How are they mutually exclusive?

I don't want yet another "Lego SDK" with the campaign a la "duh we gotta have that Single Player button working!"

More later, please review.

I don't have time to read it this week, you probably should become a ghostwritter for Tom Clancey.

Since I won't have the time for a little while to write down Act Two, I will explain some of the re-occuring themes for my version of ArmA III.

The first is the "History Repeats" theme of the earlier acts, especially involving the idea of a resurgent "Persia" fighting to conquer Greece. The Athenians fought bravely, but were vastly outnumbered by the Persian army up until they scored several lucky breaks. The first of which was Marathon, and after that was the Athenian naval victory outside of Athens. The idea that history has come full circle is a strong idea, and that there is hope for the enemy to be defeated. But the costs are terribly high.

The prologue's theme is that of disaster and loss. You learn about your squad, you fight your way triumphantly across Limnos, only to be turned back, to have your friends slaughtered, to have the invasion falter, to have the hopes of the free world suddenly and dramatically dim. The loss of Miller's squad must be a painful one, one that should fuel the reason behind both Miller and the player's aggression and tenacity. When Miles died in Harvest Red, I was honestly surprised, but I really did not feel the loss that the characters did, as I had only fought with the Sergeant for a few missions. Miller and his team will have fought for several hours worth of play time, building a relationship between the team that is far deeper, and making the loss of the three other members all the more shocking and real.

Act One's theme is Defiance. You have been scorned, your allies have been forced to hide from the resurgent IAF, and all that remains is the people of Limnos taking up whatever arms they can against an enemy well above them. Your fight is now their fight, and together you must defy the IAF in order to save the island, and the world. It's a difficult task, and the under-dog feeling from Cold War Crisis (and the one really fun level from Harvest Red, which had the NAPA ambush) present throughout as you re-unite the people of Limnos. Together, as one sword, can you defeat the IAF and free the isle.

More later...

Since I won't have the time for a little while to write down Act Two, I will explain some of the re-occuring themes for my version of ArmA III.

The first is the "History Repeats" theme of the earlier acts, especially involving the idea of a resurgent "Persia" fighting to conquer Greece. The Athenians fought bravely, but were vastly outnumbered by the Persian army up until they scored several lucky breaks. The first of which was Marathon, and after that was the Athenian naval victory outside of Athens. The idea that history has come full circle is a strong idea, and that there is hope for the enemy to be defeated. But the costs are terribly high.

The prologue's theme is that of disaster and loss. You learn about your squad, you fight your way triumphantly across Limnos, only to be turned back, to have your friends slaughtered, to have the invasion falter, to have the hopes of the free world suddenly and dramatically dim. The loss of Miller's squad must be a painful one, one that should fuel the reason behind both Miller and the player's aggression and tenacity. When Miles died in Harvest Red, I was honestly surprised, but I really did not feel the loss that the characters did, as I had only fought with the Sergeant for a few missions. Miller and his team will have fought for several hours worth of play time, building a relationship between the team that is far deeper, and making the loss of the three other members all the more shocking and real.

Act One's theme is Defiance. You have been scorned, your allies have been forced to hide from the resurgent IAF, and all that remains is the people of Limnos taking up whatever arms they can against an enemy well above them. Your fight is now their fight, and together you must defy the IAF in order to save the island, and the world. It's a difficult task, and the under-dog feeling from Cold War Crisis (and the one really fun level from Harvest Red, which had the NAPA ambush) present throughout as you re-unite the people of Limnos. Together, as one sword, can you defeat the IAF and free the isle.

More later...

You know, there's a fan fiction page that you could post that in. Then people might actually comment on it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?127164-ArmAverse-The-community-fan-fiction-thread

Thanks Flemming, didn't see that. I'll have to fully transition there.

I'll post a link when the thing is ready for you.

This

"limited resources"

So in 2001 when BIS was 20 people they had unlimited resources?

Compared to ArmA2 it was more about grabbing a scoped rifle and scoring frags - and a sniper rifle was making you an Ultimate Machine of Doom (see how it ruins Resistance campaign f.e.). Without mods OFP was too arcadey.

4 sabots to kill a tank ! :D

So in 2001 when BIS was 20 people they had unlimited resources?

I'm not going to repost my first reply.

Every question you've asked has been answered in it.

I'm not about to argue in circles.

Hey there,

I am a bit worried as to how much work is being put into the singleplayer. OFP's singleplayer and characters were so memorable that they got ported into ArmA 2. We should be less then six months from release now, and as far as I know we still havent really had a taste of Scott Miller or well, anyone on the ArmA 3 "personnel website".

Are they being forgotten? Their scripts still being written? textured? I hope they get a bit more "character" then Torrez, from the Armed Assault campaign.

Speaking of faceless people: Whoever does the voices for the ArmA Showcases is doing an exxelent job!

Dennis

Loved OpF and Resistance, and even Codemasters's expansion Red Hammer. Couldn't stand Arma 1. I don't have the full version of Arma 2, so I don't know how the campaign goes for that, but I'm really hoping that the Arma 3 story will be like OpF and expansions--if they go cheap on it like Arma 1, that'll be very disappointing. As Codarl pointed out, Arma 1 essentially had no characters in it, and very little story, too.

What made CWR full of atmosphere for me, ware that dirty, scratchy voice overs over radio and voice acting in general. A bit hollywood-ish voices but very much suited the game. But yes, story, characters, music, even effects were amazing, fitted really well in the timeline.

I found A2 story to be really good, however execution was not that great. EW was full of CWR feeling. Music alone gave me the chills.

As for A1, sure there was no story, no characters but missions were not that bad I think. I took it as a bit streched scenarios. Played them over few times, even in A2 :). I was not expecting A1 to be story orientated so I was not really disapointed.

OA camp was quite similar tbh. There were some characters but in the end I was like, yeh OK, some dude in delta force, infantry, tank and helicopter. I played it over for variety of missions. BAF, not much different as well. PMC... it pains me to say, it had some missions in there... Lets just say I played them just becouse BIS made them.

Somehow, I have really good feeling about Arma 3 campaign. I would prefer to have as little information about it as possible. I dont want to know how they sound or even look (a bit late for that) until I start up the campaign for myself.

The discussion here is not about the quality of the missions, but the quality of the characters that play in them: David Armstrong and James Gastovski are like Mario or Cortana (Halo) to me, whilst the characters in later campaigns (exept maybe PMC) havent grown to me, despite looking far more detailed and having all the potential.

Whilst there is an ArmAverse, all conflicts are way too anonomous: "Assasinate that officer" , whilst having no idea who the officer is (Alexei's nephew?), or even who "you" are.

We already had that discussion here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?119626-Is-ArmA-III-having-the-OFP-CWC-vibe, but it's true that's it's REALLY not easy to find recent topics with this gazillion of closed topics !

We do plan on going through and deleting the closed topics at some point.

Since this topic is essentially the same as the last one I'll just merge the two threads.

Codarl

After 2000 posts you should know where the search button is. Please search before posting a new thread.

OFP:CWC was released at a time where there was nothing even close in terms of a sandbox style 'war' game. It was the early 2000's, the modern computer age was dawning, and people were keen to sample the abilities of the latest hardware and software. The computer landscape has completely changed now, with modern hardware being generally more than sufficient to play games, and a wider range of games available that cater to the same player.

Add to this the fact that the West had just begun bombing campaigns in Afghanistan (around October 2001 according to Wikipedia), and you had a raft of people wanting to sample the realities of war.

I remember reading a review around the time - I think the original Ghost Recon had been released, and there was numerous comparisons between the two games in gaming magazines. Ghost Recon won almost each review, as the reviews praised OFP's complexity but came to the conclusion it was 'too tedious' for the large majority.

I was 16 at the time the game came out, and computers were pretty much my main hobby. I'll always remember the game fondly because it let me pretend I was a soldier, but for every OFP fan there was probably 20 who hated it. The nostalgia is sourced from my circumstances at the time even moreso than from the game itself.