Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

No moar sexist crap, plox. If you have nothing to add about women soldiers in the sim environment, please refrain from posting.

Even if female combatants are not included in the story (though I think they should be) it should absolutely be possible for female units placed in the editor to be able to use weapons from the outset.

Oh good. This topic again :)

As long as the women have ragdoll I'll be happy with it.

I don't think the combat women are so important in a game that already gives us so much in terms of possibilities.

However, complete animations for female civvies would be nice, so they can drive and perform all actions possible to other civvies.

"Only some of them permit women to fill active combat roles, including Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Germany, Norway, Israel, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland."

Copied from the wikipedia article about women in the military.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military

In addition, the same article points out that the norwegian navy was the first in the world to have female submarine staff in 1985.

I'd also want to quote a Norwegian article about female soliders, from the site forskning.no (forskning means research/science).

"Det norske forsvaret har hatt full juridisk likestilling av kvinner og menn siden 1984. Det betyr at kvinner formelt sett har de samme mulighetene som menn, gitt at de oppfyller kravene til stillingen."

Wich translates to: The norwegian army/defence have had judicial equality of men and women since _1984_. That means that women formally have the same oportunities as men, given fullfilment of the requirements.

Norway have mostly a conscript army though, and at the moment, men are the only ones who can be ordered to join. However, all girls in the country are called inn for pre-tests and recruitment offices. Females are for now vulentairly joining, but there has been alot of political pressure to make all citizens viable to serve by law, regardless of gender. It's becomming more and more common, and will continue to do so for a long time I think. And about time, I might add.

http://www.forskning.no/artikler/2011/juni/290949

Currently, 9% of the armed forces in Norway consists of women. That's one girl for every 9 males. I've personally served among women, two in my squad, and two female officers, and I was serving as an engineer. In the infantry unit, or the core of the Norwegian army, it was the same. We shared camp at Skjold camp in the northern parts of Norway, and indeed the infantry had it's share of women.

So washouts claim, among many others, that women doesn't serve in combat roles is factually wrong. I personally know female soliders who have served in afghanistan, for instance.

The world is bigger than USA, you know.

I would love to see female soliders in the game.

Edit:

And for those of you who are interested in science, here is a very nice link about the subject:

summary:

http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WORKID=119036

and full text:

http://www.duo.uio.no/sok/work.html?WORKID=119036&fid=73012

In real life, women can shoot pistols (most female gun enthusiasts I know prefer pistols, though some still actively shoot rifles) and drive cars (I don't get why Arma 2 didn't let women drive cars).

As far as combat goes, if I'm not mistaken, the Israeli's have female spec ops units, or something similar.

If not combat, then women can serve as doctors, or intel officers, or something like that.

Also, the Shining Path (Peruvian communist militia if I'm not mistaken) has recruited women to fight for their ideals.

In my personal opinion however, I would find it interesting, but not needed to have female army units/militia.

If it wont change any gameplay why waste time adding it

I too often wonder why BIS created soldier textures, when we could just have a matte blue guy for BLUFOR, a matte red guy for OPFOR, and grey for everything else.

Nice blanket statement.

Except red and blue guys will be perfectly visible a kilometer away. Nice strawman.

Except red and blue guys will be perfectly visible a kilometer away. Nice strawman.

No worries, seems you enjoyed it.

Bagging the addition of something genuinely useful to mission makers because it "wont change any gameplay" remains an utterly short-sighted view, however.

I sometimes play ArmA 2 with my wife, and it would be awesome if she could play a female in the game - looking at her ugly male face ingame is just weird :) It has nothing to do with reality - in RL she woul (I hope) never be out there, but that is the magic of games, letting you be someone else.

I would like to see realistic gender seeding.

You got some highly religious terrorist faction from a third world country, they won't have female soldiers. You got the US military, sure, they have plenty of female recruits. It should be based on faction politics and ideology.

I think it would be cool to have female soldiers in ARMA 3, yea I know there are not many females that play ARMA 3 but, it would be nice if they included female soldiers for the few that play. The only thing I don't like about it is if guys play as female characters in the game... I know in real life the US military only allows females to be a support role like a medic or something, they aren't sent to the front lines. But, in other countries it may be different I'm not sure.

I think it would be cool to have female soldiers in ARMA 3, yea I know there are not many females that play ARMA 3 but, it would be nice if they included female soldiers for the few that play. The only thing I don't like about it is if guys play as female characters in the game... I know in real life the US military only allows females to be a support role like a medic or something, they aren't sent to the front lines. But, in other countries it may be different I'm not sure.

USMC might change that though. They might start allowing women to serve in combat roles. They've started allowing women to go to infantry combat schools, so by 2035 they might be in infantry roles. Regardless, it'd be more realistic if BIS added female military characters in the game. Because even in the position that females aren't allowed in infantry roles, that only really matters in the campaign. But there are female MP officers and stuff, so for realism's sake there should be. But I won't be butthurt if women aren't in the game.

Q: Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

A: I would like to see a woman in my kitchen.

anyway, yeah, why not?

n7snk

Perhaps you didn't see my comment?

No moar sexist crap, plox. If you have nothing to add about women soldiers in the sim environment, please refrain from posting.

+1 warning for disregarding moderator instructions.

We do not allow bigotry on these forums.

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

§2) Follow the instructions of the moderators

When a moderator or BIS staff member asks you to do something or to stop doing something, please follow their instructions. If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter.

Edit: I completely overreacted. Apologies, next time I´ll leave the watching to the designated watchers. Sorry for the derailing :<

Edited by InstaGoat

I'll repeat myself one last time, and tell you the same thing I told n7snk in his warning.

This is not a private hang out with you and your friends to disparage people based on their sex or race for fun, whether you actually mean it or not. This is the public forum for a business.

There will be no more warnings from me in this topic. Public discrimination and humiliation is a problem. Further wanton sexist jokes or statements will accrue infractions.

I actually think that regardless of the "do they don't they?" over combat roles. If nothing else it makes a nice change in terms of a story (or just playing) to once in a while having a female soldier/officer/etc...

And obviously it's more than possible to not overdo the model, or over-sexualise the whole thing like in most games with women. To be honest, the more variation in game, the better if you ask me. (But then I'd also like to see different heights/weights possible too).

I don't normally say things like this, much less in this fashion but I just have to know.

Why is it every time a thread related to women comes up, some asshole (honestly there is no kinder word for you) or another has to make the "Durrr kitchen" comment?

And that is an interesting thought..seeing the viewpoints of the combat from male and female with the different thought process or even something like a female pilot supporting ground soldiers.

Alas, all moot points as we all know the final outcome regardless of what we say or ask for in regards to this.

Somewhat relevent? in the justification of Female soldiers:

A female has taken out 7 of the catagories in the Australian Army Skill at Arms Meeting (AASAM), including the 300m delibrate shoot and the bayonet assault; a female combat engineer taking 1st in the snap and rapid exposure shoots and a Malaysian CPL taking 2nd in the pistol comp.

The AASAM is a meeting between many pacific, UKF, US and Canadian militaries.

And on the american front: Female US Army operators are currently being deployed in afghan under the command of US SOCOM in not as much as a assault role but rather to allow the US to target the large civilian population which is primarily female, prior and following SF patrols and raids.

In the opintion side of things i agree it would be logical to have at the very least female pilots and crew members and extending the capeabillitys of female civilians. (I also belive female soldiers are currently in service with iran).

Edited by Scarecrow398

Somewhat relevent? in the justification of Female soldiers:

A female has taken out 7 of the catagories in the Australian Army Skill at Arms Meeting (AASAM), including the 300m delibrate shoot and the bayonet assault; a female combat engineer taking 1st in the snap and rapid exposure shoots and a Malaysian CPL taking 2nd in the pistol comp.

The AASAM is a meeting between many pacific, UKF, US and Canadian militaries.

And on the american front: Female US Army operators are currently being deployed in afghan under the command of US SOCOM in not as much as a assault role but rather to allow the US to target the large civilian population which is primarily female, prior and following SF patrols and raids.

In the opintion side of things i agree it would be logical to have at the very least female pilots and crew members and extending the capeabillitys of female civilians. (I also belive female soldiers are currently in service with iran).

I agree with female pilots and crew members in games but not with female infantry.

I agree with female pilots and crew members in games but not with female infantry.

why want them to be pilots and crew members but not infantry?

I don't know if it was already answered. But with the option to wear different type of uniforms and field gear, would it mean that the women in game would be able to use male uniform/clothes and vice versa? For example a civilian women stealing an uniform from an Iranian soldier for infiltration would be ok, but a Iranian soldier stealing female civilian clothes could lead to some funny situations.

I don't know if it was already answered. But with the option to wear different type of uniforms and field gear, would it mean that the women in game would be able to use male uniform/clothes and vice versa? For example a civilian women stealing an uniform from an Iranian soldier for infiltration would be ok, but a Iranian soldier stealing female civilian clothes could lead to some funny situations.

a small line of code that would allow or disallow wearing of types of clothing could easily fix that.