Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

You've been around here for 3.5 years, so you're either joking or just haven't found it yet. (*cough* face.jpg, since 2001 *cough*)

Yeah, but this isnt any official stuff, is it? Every EA game have a official game face editior. It allows you to use any face by taking two pictures and uploading them into the game. This should be official in the ArmA series as well.

Yeah, but this isnt any official stuff, is it? Every EA game have a official game face editior. It allows you to use any face by taking two pictures and uploading them into the game. This should be official in the ArmA series as well.

What do you mean by "official stuff"? This is a feature built into the game by the devs - it doesn't get much more official than that. Sure, the implementation seems a little hacky and obscure, and a face editor would be cool, but otherwise it works as intended.

The only thing that bugs me about it is the way servers that disallow custom files won't let you join at all with a custom face. It would be better to give people the option to join without it.

So question " Confirmd features "

Will Arma 3 have melee?

If they release Dazy they MUST have melee system/script/animations. What is a zombie game without melee?

PLEASE BIS add Melee if not yet in Arma 3. the humanrace has been using sticks, stones and hands from the begining of stoneage times to our present days to take down enemy in all ways they can. If we all run out of ammo and face a enemy that will kill you in a close space enviorment, you have no other choice then to use melee.

And dont bring the old answer up " it is a simulator" that is just a excuse to not put in the work that is needed to make melee work ingame.

So question " Confirmd features "

Will Arma 3 have melee?

If they release Dazy they MUST have melee system/script/animations. What is a zombie game without melee?

PLEASE BIS add Melee if not yet in Arma 3. the humanrace has been using sticks, stones and hands from the begining of stoneage times to our present days to take down enemy in all ways they can. If we all run out of ammo and face a enemy that will kill you in a close space enviorment, you have no other choice then to use melee.

And dont bring the old answer up " it is a simulator" that is just a excuse to not put in the work that is needed to make melee work ingame.

This is a question many have asked, but no. What we know today no melee is on the board.

Also dayZ will be a standalone, of course they will have some kind of melee but its not arma 3.

This is a question many have asked, but no. What we know today no melee is on the board.

Also dayZ will be a standalone, of course they will have some kind of melee but its not arma 3.

That's a shame. Let's enlarge the sandbox side of the game.

Edited by ProfTournesol
typo

That's a shame. Let's enlarge the sandbox side of the game.

Well I dont have special insight into BI but thats what I think atleast, but who knows they might surprise us.

Melee was possible since OFP, the problem is AFAIK mostly with animation system. They didn't say anything specific but I guess it should be quite easier to implement in A3 at least as a mod.

They also add those animations that are not used that aren't used in the actual game\missions, so who knows how they have been playing with the new animation system....

Why do you even need melee. I was never in a situation where i needed it.

why do you even need melee. I was never in a situation where i needed it.

Just one word : modding You don't need it ? Great. But a lot of others do. Anyway i won't discuss this further as it has already been discussed to death, nothing has been officially said about it and i'm quite certain it won't happen in ArmA3, sadly.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Why do you even need melee. I was never in a situation where i needed it.
Just one word : modding You don't need it ? Great. But a lot of others do.

Well, fortunately modding is already a confirmed feature, so almost anything is possible with it. :)

The question posed here is whether melee will be featured in vanilla Arma3, i.e. without requiring mods, and the answer seems to be "no" at this point. Apart from that, any debate about whether melee is a "necessary" feature for the game doesn't belong in the confirmed features thread, IMO.

Well the thread title says "Confirmed features | info & discussion"... Guess if BIS like to show some (new) melee that works and looks good & smooth in A3 they will show it sooner or later! Robotic or arthritic melee combat should be avoided. ;)

Well I took a quick look at games that have melee. COD and people running around with knives. Need I say more? I really don´t want something like that in Arma. If you know of a game with a good aproach to melee then please say it.

Well I took a quick look at games that have melee. COD and people running around with knives. Need I say more? I really don´t want something like that in Arma. If you know of a game with a good aproach to melee then please say it.

But anyway, no one seems to be asking something this complex or to even make into the game, but just the possibility to mod it, without having to reload knives, swords and hatchets.

To be honest, a melee system in A3 would probably be silly.

With proper working + looking melee there could be also a nice 17th century mod. Just a little contrast to modern/hi-tech battlefields.... :)

There's very limited games out there with the approach to modern warfare which includes melee. You already can tell the reasons why - it would be a hassle and a half to produce and get right for little to no benefit unless your game is orientated around melee itself (or can use the features it enhances such as animations). But in modern warfare there is a very limited realistic use of melee and therefore it is considered less authentic and more problematic for the developer. I couldn't see it working for BIS but more against.

You guys are missing the point, for modders this game isn't about modern warfare or whatever BUT it offers a sandbox moddable game which allows anybody to make his dream come true, ancient chivalry or Space opera. I'm very happy Dean and DayZ shows everybody how verstatile this game can be, against the narrowminded crowd.

You guys are missing the point, for modders this game isn't about modern warfare or whatever BUT it offers a sandbox moddable game which allows anybody to make his dream come true, ancient chivalry or Space opera. I'm very happy Dean and DayZ shows everybody how verstatile this game can be, against the narrowminded crowd.

It's true, but if its implementation will require a lot of development time and effort that could go to another more important aspects of the game, I think is not worth the effort. Dayz developers are lucky to have narrow objectives, and not to worry about so many aspects like ARMA.

This game is a sandbox, but is also mainly a modern war oriented sandbox. If BI had to think in accomodate all the possible future no military mods, the development of the game would never end. They are not guilty of a moddable FPS like ARMA can't be a medieval warfare or space combat game.

I prefer less and more polished features, like Jay Crowe has said.

Edited by Down8

It's true, but if its implementation will require a lot of development time and effort that could go to another more important aspects of the game, I think is not worth the effort. Dayz developers are lucky to have narrow objectives, and not to worry about so many aspects like ARMA.

This game is a sandbox, but is also mainly a modern war oriented sandbox. If BI had to think in accomodate all the possible future no military mods, the development of the game would never end. They are not guilty of a moddable FPS like ARMA can't be a medieval warfare or space combat game.

^this

I agree as well, even though I would love to be able to play a killer medieval mod with arma.

On another subject, I have a quick question about the new animations. I know that you will be able to adjust crouching and standing stance to be slightly higher and slightly lower lower than normal. My question is can you also do this with the prone stance. the "high" prone might have the character prop himself up more with his elbows and not have the gun resting on the ground as in arma 2, allowing him to see over the oh so annoying grass. The "low" prone would have the character bury his face in the dirt, which could actually save ones life if there is only a small ridge of micro terrain or something they are using as cover.

Anybody know if a prone stance modification has been mentioned before?

This thread is for discussing confirmed features. There is a wishlist thread for things you would like to see. If melee combat has not been confirmed, I would suggest you migrate your discussion to that thread please.

Anybody know if a prone stance modification has been mentioned before?

Try to look for E3 and Gamescom videos, shooting range contains at least some examples of most of stance modifications :icon_twisted: