Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Steamworks, add it in or not?

Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

• Yes
    • No

I've nothing against medals but with Steam it would IMO more problematic for modders. I mean adding or chaning mod specific medals.

So far all achievements in games I've seen are 100% retarded and have absolutely nothing to do with achieving something.

Even medals for scoring or assisting score in CTF for example?

I've nothing against medals but with Steam it would IMO more problematic for modders. I mean adding or chaning mod specific medals.

Maybe Arma 3 achievements can be modeled after real military awards. Kind of going with the whole military sim thing lol.

I think for firends & medals BIS could come up with something more open in future and than tie with Steam. Those little nice features in Steam are there just to hide the fact that it's mainly marketplace & DRM. sorry for being post count whore

If they could give me an auto update feature when I start the game up every time I would be sold.

To this day I cannot play Arma 2 online because of some weird battle eye thing. None of my friends who have the game on Steam seem to have that issue.

No but seriously, achievements can be anything that the developers want them to be. Developers can even make the achievements encourage teamwork if they wished to do it. If Arma 3 was to have achievements I bet they would be like "beat this coop mission on hard" or "don't die once in a round"

So guys I'll go afk at a base while you complete the mission on hard. I'm sure I totally will be back before you will finish it.

Achievement unlocked: Teamplayer (beat the coop mission on hard)

Achievement unlocked: Survivor (didn't die once)

ArmA is not CTF and I certainly don't want some silly dude to "assist" me with killing someone when I want to stay stealthy and blow my cover just so he can get another Teamplayer achievement.

Nobody in the world cares about player's "achievements" in a game but said player.

Edited by metalcraze

Achievement unlocked: Tactician (died in every way possible)

Achievement unlocked: Explorer, you found the Editor

Achievement unlocked: Builder, you made your first little mission

Achievement unlocked: Modified, you installed a mod

Achievement unlocked: Medic, You healed somebody

That are the only achievemts that would make sense

Achievement unlocked: Elite, you've read the manual of a game from start to finish and you completed all tutorials instead of just going to forums and whining about ArmA. Congratulations you are one of the very few.

Achievement unlocked: B.A.D.S; Your steam avatar insults everyone!

Personally I have ArmA 2 on steam, and while that is convenient, installing and running different mods is a pain in the backside.

I either have to change the steam launch options every time I want to run a different mod, or set up .bats to run each one separately. My friend who does not have arma on steam, simple makes multiple shortcuts on his desktop, changes the target for each individual shortcut, and runs whatever one he wants to play.

Personally I have ArmA 2 on steam, and while that is convenient, installing and running different mods is a pain in the backside.

I either have to change the steam launch options every time I want to run a different mod, or set up .bats to run each one separately. My friend who does not have arma on steam, simple makes multiple shortcuts on his desktop, changes the target for each individual shortcut, and runs whatever one he wants to play.

^this

Managing Mods isn´t really what Steam was designed for.

Shortcuts et all is so passe :) http://www.six-updater.net/p/about.html

^this

Managing Mods isn´t really what Steam was designed for.

Steam isn't required to play ArmA 2. Just go to the ArmA 2 directoy in the Steam folder and you can manage and install mods just like everyone else. There is no difference between the Steam version of the game, and the version that you can get from the Bohemia Interactive store. The only big difference is that the Steam version is found in the Steam apps folder, if you are too lazy to always click through all the folders to get to the ArmA 2 directory, you can just create a shortcut to the folder.

Edited by Nicholas

Actually, the above post just reminded me of my main gripe about Steam: you must install all your Steam products into the same place.

So guys I'll go afk at a base while you complete the mission on hard. I'm sure I totally will be back before you will finish it.

Achievement unlocked: Teamplayer (beat the coop mission on hard)

Achievement unlocked: Survivor (didn't die once)

You can do that without achievements, I really see no point in doing it. Some good anti idle option or kick feature could fix that one mate. :j:

we get people who idle or who don't know how to play or just don't want to do the mission in Arma 2 and that game has no achievements...How 'bout that eh.

Edited by sirfire

ArmA is not CTF and I certainly don't want some silly dude to "assist" me with killing someone when I want to stay stealthy and blow my cover just so he can get another Teamplayer achievement.

Wrong. Vanilla ArmA2 is CTF.

Score assist in CTF means that you helped flag score by either carrying a flag for a while, killing enemy with your flag (?) or returing your flag. Eg. you do something useful for achieving objective. Another example is Hold where you could get medals for capturing position or making it neutral. It probably makes sense only in PvP games (can't speak about PvE) and it's not achievements but medals what I'm talking about (you get lot of them). But as I said Steam really isn't right place given variety of missions. It should be hosted by communities and not Valve.

Actually, the above post just reminded me of my main gripe about Steam: you must install all your Steam products into the same place.

There are pretty easy workarounds available which IMHO work very well: you just move off the big directories to another drive and create a junction point. There a very nice tool around called Link Shell Extension which removes any need for command line fiddling.

That's not only useful for Steam. For example: I've two SSDs and a big fat (but slow) 2TB drive. Primarily I install everything onto the 2TB drive. When I see that I play a certain game quite often (like Arma), I move it off to one of the SSDs and create a junction point. No need to reinstall, it's transparent to the games.

Edited by rfc

Another app for same purpose (and designed specially for Steam users) is SteamTool.

HELL NO. ArmA is unique, and I like the fact that Bohemia Interactive, and ONLY Bohemia Interactive, has a say on how multiplayer functions.

I, personally, hate downloading games. I like to have a hard copy; even for PMC/BAF I waited until I could find the Reinfocrements package at Best Buy. Some people like this downloading garbage. Me? I'm way against it. I like to know that the effort was put into designing a box, and I like to know that my data will not be eaten away if my computer goes down/if the sponsor of the download goes offline.

HELL NO. ArmA is unique, and I like the fact that Bohemia Interactive, and ONLY Bohemia Interactive, has a say on how multiplayer functions.

I, personally, hate downloading games. I like to have a hard copy; even for PMC/BAF I waited until I could find the Reinfocrements package at Best Buy. Some people like this downloading garbage. Me? I'm way against it. I like to know that the effort was put into designing a box, and I like to know that my data will not be eaten away if my computer goes down/if the sponsor of the download goes offline.

That's why I use Steam... I don't have to worry about losing a disc or breaking a disc. But to each his own.

That's why I use Steam... I don't have to worry about losing a disc or breaking a disc. But to each his own.

So use the BIS store instead. More money to the creator!

At any rate I will be getting at least 1 hard copy, I have no problems with taking care of them.

So use the BIS store instead. More money to the creator!

At any rate I will be getting at least 1 hard copy, I have no problems with taking care of them.

Naw, I think I'll stick with Steam... :p I think BIS will understand lol. IF Steamworks is even considered, though, it should only be for the Steam versions, if that. Honestly, though, it's not necessary. And I'm sure BIS has already said no to the idea.

no u dont. Again another user that doesnt know much about steam.

Are you the same person that said you HAVE to be online to launch steam lol

no u dont. Again another user that doesnt know much about steam.

Are you the same person that said you HAVE to be online to launch steam lol

So it seems that Steam is yet another process that you must research & learn before you can make it behave in a useful way?

Again, no thanks :) it seems to be an entirely unnecessary layer of obstruction unless you've learnt it, not much to recommend it over the current method :)