Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

Steamworks, add it in or not?

Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steamworks be implemented into ArmA III?

• Yes
    • No

Portal is not made by Valve. Neither are CS and L4D series while we are at it.

HL2 is a mediocre shooter. I never understood what's so special about shooting the same type of enemy across linear corridor. Maybe Halo grade hype?

But that's kinda derailing

It had a great Story with believable characters, something that modern day shooters constantly fail to acomplish!

I had to log in to post this.

Not just no, but FUCK no. Steam is garbage and presents an immeasurable amount of things it will break if A3 is a steamworks game. Hell I will consider not buying A3 if it's steamworks required.

Take the amount of horseshit that Steam users currently have to go through to get ArmA working properly and multiply it ten fold.

Take the amount of horseshit that Steam users currently have to go through to get ArmA working properly and multiply it ten fold.

I know right? Right Click > Install Game... is just too much work. :rolleyes:

In spite having a big collection of titles in Steam platform, I've answered no.

I only use Steam because of the sales, otherwise there isn't much in their service that interest me in particular and certainly not the achievements system.

If I have to buy a game on day one I prefer to buy it through retail or directly from the developers.

Besides I hate how some Steam fanboys are always lobbying for Steam in every gaming forum I know.

So no to Steamworks.

... I prefer to buy it through retail or directly from the developers...

+1

that's the way to go for current ArmA players, imo. Buy direct from the source at the BIS store. I'm not sure what BIS official opinion on this is, but I'm sure it is better for BIS - profitwise - if we all buy A3 directly from their stores.

I think other digital distribution services, such as Gamers Gate are good for hooking new players who might see the game at these sites and decide to impulse buy. But those of us who already know about BIS's store should surely make an effort to buy directly from them. It's the morally correct thing for us to do, I think :) Cut out that middle-man.

I'll be happy as long as players aren't forced to install Steam just to play Arma 3.

FUCK steam and its fanboys

sapped

Flaming, flame-baiting, trolling, and other derisive behaviour are not tolerated on this forum. I think it's possible to discuss a subject that you don't like without insulting or dismissing a group of people based on their preferences. If you wish to stay a member of this forum, I suggest you alter your attitude.

+1 infraction for flaming.

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

Nope dont like it, steam overlay crashes my OA game, so no. I dont want it steam exclusive though. Prefer to get the DVD disc as normal

Prefer to get the DVD disc as normal

Digital Versatile Disc disc! Oh, god, RAS syndrome headache!¨

In all seriousness, though, I suggest BIS sticks with their brand of totally optional choicesâ„¢ . :p

Sorry, I don't use my hard earned cash to rent intangible products from a company that serves me adverts, encroaches on my gameplay experience with stat collecting bloatware or has the ability to steal back or disable what I legitimately own.

One of the most useful parts of Steam is;

You'll see instantly which of your friends are online, what games they are playing, in which server, and how many players in that server and what map. And you can just click and choose "join game".

Simple and very, very useful and atm does not work for Arma2. Which sucks.

Second thing is the community groups, a great way to announce events and stuff.

Steam is not perfect for sure but it is very useful for players.

One of the most useful parts of Steam is;

You'll see instantly which of your friends are online, what games they are playing, in which server, and how many players in that server and what map. And you can just click and choose "join game".

Simple and very, very useful and atm does not work for Arma2. Which sucks.

Second thing is the community groups, a great way to announce events and stuff.

Steam is not perfect for sure but it is very useful for players.

Agreed on the buddy and community system. Arma could really benefit from an integrated system to join friends in games. Still, Steam, as neat as it is, isn't some sord of godsend, exactly. It has its flaws and kinks, just like every other piece of software out there.

No. Never. Ever.

Steam is great for more regular and simple mainstream games, where you dont endlessly mod and work with your game-folder and need control of your patches (Steam doesnt give a crap about your auto-patch settings).

And also, I prefer having my favourite games in a sexy disc-case anyway :o Would be awesome with a bluray-version!

Steam is great for more regular and simple mainstream games, where you dont endlessly mod and work with your game-folder and need control of your patches.

I agree with this. That's why I prefer not to have to register my Arma to steam.

Thank goodness I'm a DVD go-er.

But anyways, I Voted "No". I like to have very little running in background while playing.

I've even closed down "explorer.exe" when running games half the time. :p

While I would support this if it was implemented, I wouldn't actively seek it out. statistics should be kept in game though, I'd love to see how many times i've been shot in the right forearm in game.

haha steam fanboys ain't getting any love

sapped

I believe I told you to stop this trollish behaviour.

+1 infraction for disregarding a moderator's instructions

+1 infraction for flamebaiting

Since conversations about steam seem to cause you to act in bafflingly hostile ways, your participation in this thread is no longer required. Time to see if this 'ban from thread' thing works.

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through PM's. If you receive a PM that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's PMs without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

§2) Follow the instructions of the moderators

When a moderator or BIS staff member asks you to do something or to stop doing something, please follow their instructions. If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter.

@rainbird. You don't own any software, or music, or movies, or pretty much anything in a similar vein.

Until they change the law...

You own it.

You may use it in any legal fashion that you please.

With regards to Steam, games that require Steam are games I am not keen to buy.

I have bought Steam games in the past, but invariably, I don't play them.

That's not to say I don't think it would be good to add Steam implimentation for those that want it, but I personally expressly do not want it.

The key to this one is that I'm not an online player for this kind of game.

I typically player single player and occasionally across my LAN.

So for me Steam is a impediment to play and offers me no service that I have any intrest in.

I've bought a few Steam games for multiplayer use across my LAN, but I've regretted all of my purchases without exception.

I never buy Steam games that are not in the discount bins. In my mind, if it requires Steam it isn't a AAA game. I won't pay full price for it ever.

I've never sold a game. I'm never going to sell a game.

I often give them away.

I'm quite impressed by Steam's service, but it's not for me.

Unecessary logins. Unecessary programs running. Games installed to stupid directories. Adverts. Having to download a software to install it even though I have the disc in the drive. Automated updates requiring me to patch everything right I after I spent so long setting up a working system on my LAN.

For casual play it's a hinderance, and for the LAN play it's a full blown pain in the arse often resulting in the game being abandoned in favour of something user freindly.

I like Steam for a lot. I use it for just about all games that I play; it's nice to have all your games coming through one place, and not having to worry about losing a disk. If you change computers, you can just download Steam, log in, and reinstall all your games (although this feature doesn't require Steam implementation). And it could be easy to make friends and join servers with friends. That said, one downside to Steam games is that their executables automatically run with Steam. So Steam is required to run the games. That's a problem when it comes to ArmA. It wouldn't necessarily mess up the mod capability (I run ArmA through Steam and mods work just fine). But following the precedent of Steam games not working outside of Steam (apparently some do, but only games with a separate SP and MP executable), then ArmA 3 would have to be run with Steam, and that's problematic for people who don't want to download Steam. Although, for multiplayer, it'd be nice if ArmA 3 could include some of the features of Steam, like making friends through the player ID system and quickly join servers they're in. Adding that functionality would make up for a lack of Steam implementation. Other than that, though, there's no real need for Steam. Nor is this really a major issue (so I doubt BIS will add something like this).

I own Arma 2 CO on steam and like the way Bohemia have made it. Running Arma 2 with steam is optional you can launch through steam or without using steam at all (launching from the install directory) while some games require you to have steam on while you play them even if you launch from the install directory, for example Skyrim. I don't want Arma 3 to require steam but it dosen't matter to me if they have it on steam or not. Personally I'd rather not own all my games on steam, the reason I have Arma 2 on steam is because I bought it during a steam sale.

Steamworks would be a huge benefit. Why are people voting no? "MAKE THINGS EASIER? NO THANKS!" Yeah so you have to make a Steam account and log in, that doesn't take long. Steamworks integration would only greatly improve ArmA 3's accessibility if they add a Workshop for it, and joining people in-game for coop would be much easier. And also, as the post above me lists, with ArmA 2 on Steam you do not even have to log into/run Steam in order to play it. If you put a shortcut on your desktop, you can just run it without using Steam. So you still have the option of not using Steam for whatever reason.

Steamworks would be a huge benefit. Why are people voting no? "MAKE THINGS EASIER? NO THANKS!" Yeah so you have to make a Steam account and log in, that doesn't take long. Steamworks integration would only greatly improve ArmA 3's accessibility if they add a Workshop for it, and joining people in-game for coop would be much easier. And also, as the post above me lists, with ArmA 2 on Steam you do not even have to log into/run Steam in order to play it. If you put a shortcut on your desktop, you can just run it without using Steam. So you still have the option of not using Steam for whatever reason.

Have you even read some of the points made in this thread?