Sign in to follow this  
seizetheday4eva

Please help convince me to buy ARMA 2. How good is it graphically?

I'm looking for a new FPS and thought maybe i'd give ARMA 2 a try, i've been playing STALKER Clear Skies and COP using the Complete Mod, i've also just finished Crysis, both have amazing graphics on max settings, graphically how does ARMA 2 compare, gameplay wise i'm sure i'll enjoy it because it's similar to the original Flashpoint which i loved.

I'm looking for a new FPS and thought maybe i'd give ARMA 2 a try, i've been playing STALKER Clear Skies and COP using the Complete Mod, i've also just finished Crysis, both have amazing graphics on max settings, graphically how does ARMA 2 compare, gameplay wise i'm sure i'll enjoy it because it's similar to the original Flashpoint which i loved.

Me thinks, if you already loved the original OFP, the graphics shouldn't be an argument anymore. Either you like the gameplay or you don't, graphics has nothing to do with.

Besides that, i'm sure that google and youtube brings up hundreds of ingame screenshots/videoclips to judge by yourself.

And finally, it really depends on your hardware. It might look a little bit different on a 6 year old 250$ PC compared to a brand new 1500$ PC.

of course gameplay is very important but for me having a very beefy machine graphics always comes first and then gameplay. I have looked at the screenshots and videos but i'm still on the fence here hence asking for your opinions. The textures look detailed, what about weather effects, has anyone played STALKER with the complete mod, i'd ideally like to know how the graphics compare, if they are just as good then i'll go ahead and purchase it.

I'd say the graphics are not quite as good as Stalker but you get a MUCH bigger game.

Its impossible for us to tell you if you'll like ARMA2 graphics. All you can do is look at lots of youtube vids and make your own mind up.

Edited by EDcase

Graphically - it's the most photo-realistic game I've ever played. Crysis, of course, isn't far behind, but that game only portrays tropical climate, though, no doubt there are various other maps for Crysis at different TODs. Still doesn't come close to Chernarus. ;)

Why the hell do graphics come first for you? You sound like a console gamer...

While graphics are important for me aswell, they would never come first, they do help the experience alot but if a game has amazing gameplay but just average graphics I'm not gonna complain.

Look at GTA IV, graphics are Meh, no AA and low res textures, but the gameplay is phenomenal so I have no problems with the graphics not being amazing.

graphics always comes first and then gameplay.

I see no point in trying to 'convince' you to play ArmA with that kind of statement... Absurd.

edit: You can afford such a 'beast' of a machine then just buy the whole kit... expansions, DLCs the lot for $60aus

Edited by 76

Why the hell do graphics come first for you? You sound like a console gamer...

20110128203738!Trollface.png

Like it was said before, try the demo. You can see firsthand how the game looks (and runs) on your rig. You can get the demo at the link above or you can get it from Steam. If you do decide to buy the game though I'd recommend against buying it on Steam. As much as I love the service, it seems to be a pain for some folks in regards to patches, so either go retail or Sprocket (which is directly from the devs).

On a personal note as much as I like the graphics, there are 2 things that bug the hell out of me - first is the blur. Granted you can turn it off, but it also turns off almost all post processing effects. I can't stand not having motion blur in this and I really wish they would have given us the ability to pick and choose with PP effects we use. Second is the animations. They're not exactly smooth. Shooting someone on a bike and watching them jump off then play the dying animation is annoying. Same for jumping over a fence, or any number of things. It just looks ugly. Overall though the game does look exceptional and is a blast to play with the right group of people.

Edited by BOTA:49

To the OP;

If graphics is the scale you measure the degree of quality of games, why are you even asking this here. Web is full of A2 pics and videos and even demos. Unfortunately those don't tell the truth about the gameplay...

I'm looking for a new FPS and thought maybe i'd give ARMA 2 a try

I don't think Arma 2 is a FPS, it's a military simulator or a combat simulator if you prefer. Refering to it as FPS, to me is like saying it is an arcade type of game. (CoD or Battlefield, e.g.) Otherwise, if you have an open mind, like 'some' tactics facing combat situations and have some patience, you may like Arma2 gamestyle.

Arma graphics are very good. At least knowing how the game works and how big the maps are. If you try the game and think that graphics are bad, you may be an ignorant.

But ArmA2 is pretty much arcade and has the typical FPS controls + a funny hitpoint system for all vehicles.

Any "casual" FPS player would understand how to play ArmA very quick i think and if hes a good FPS player he will beat most of us in MP...

Graphics are absolutely beautiful when set to Very High for all settings. However, any other setting than Very High looks like absolute rubbish. Keep in mind that your system specifications have to be at least ten times better than the recommended one, especially the GPU/CPU.

But ArmA2 is pretty much arcade and has the typical FPS controls + a funny hitpoint system for all vehicles.

Any "casual" FPS player would understand how to play ArmA very quick i think and if hes a good FPS player he will beat most of us in MP...

they might know the controls but they wont know sh*t about tactics.

gameplay first always.

gameplay first always.

Most FPS require the players to use similar (gamey) tactics to win.

Most FPS require the players to use similar (gamey) tactics to win.

oh cmon, cod is all about who has the gun with the least recoil and the most damage. you see a magical radar which tells where other players are and you can run around forever getting 80 kills lol.

do that in arma and you're screwed.

gameplay first always.

oh cmon, cod is all about who has the gun with the least recoil and the most damage. you see a magical radar which tells where other players are and you can run around forever getting 80 kills lol.

do that in arma and you're screwed.

Shows what you know about such games. If you've played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter-Strike or Medal of Honor, have you found it easy to rise to the number one place with crushing stats? I can say that I have, and it's always because of tactics, i.e. how you move, when you move and what you do in general besides aim and press fire. Good response times and an appropriate weapon are only a bonus.

I have not read this whole thread so may have been said but the graphics CAN be very very nice but that requires you to have most things on V-High at which point you will need a PC from NASA.

TBH this game is not all about graphics I mean damn what other game gives you a huge map,the most realistic combat,the best MP and of course if ya use ACE2 like I do WOW is all I can say.

ARMA is the best game full stop

BIS is by far the best company EVER in the history of game developers

and ACE2 is by far the best MOD for any game.

Is this a bit like asking cats if mice taste nice?

Shows what you know about such games. If you've played any Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter-Strike or Medal of Honor, have you found it easy to rise to the number one place with crushing stats? I can say that I have, and it's always because of tactics, i.e. how you move, when you move and what you do in general besides aim and press fire. Good response times and an appropriate weapon are only a bonus.

I think I've played every popular FPS out there. all of those you mention anyway.

and not to brag mate, I aint bad at them games.. especialy BF and MOH.

Try assaulting Zargabad with 1 squad of players on insurgency with AI to 100% and accuracy 1.00 (highest selectable).

You need tactics for that kinda shiz.

Edited by Black²

Try assaulting Zargabad with 1 squad of players on insurgency with AI to 100% and accuracy 1.00 (highest selectable).

You need tactics for that kinda shiz.

It seems that to you, tactics is only what happens in an officer's head when planning to move his guys against an overpowering (but tactically birdbrained AI) enemy. That's where we just have to agree to disagree.

short and crisp => ArmA2 rocks!

Initially maybe little bit difficult to handle the AI commands but with few practice you will have a lot of fun.

Also a great community you will have too :yay:

gogo...buy this shit else you must play pussy-wow :811:

It seems that to you, tactics is only what happens in an officer's head when planning to move his guys against an overpowering (but tactically birdbrained AI) enemy. That's where we just have to agree to disagree.

I totally have to agree here.

Giving the enemy a aimbot (accuracy 1.00) and spawn hundreds of them...what about playing CS with only 3 guys against 100 enemy bots on highest AI, need "tactics" too he ?

Really, the AI (tactically birdbrained) and the engine of ArmA2 limit the game to the same gamey tactics you use in most other FPS too, they are maybe different a little bit but still total gamey.