Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

ArmA3 Wishlist and Ideas

watch out Lao Fei Mao.. that image is over 100K.. the bandwidth gods will smite you. Even though it isn't hosted on this site and everyone here has high speed internet and computers powerful enough to run arma.

also that is a great shot. Loosing all sense of what is going on around you when sniping is a big disadvantage. Nobody jams their eye into a scope. And triplehead users get messed up most of all when the far screens turn black... at least I think they do.

Well it all depends.

Most people can use the ACOG with both eye's open, assuming that the eye looking into the ACOG is the dominant eye. If not, only then do you have to close one eye to see through the scope.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

weapon accessories that are changeable on the move. :yay:

Who changes weapon accessories on the move in real life? For that matter, who even changes them outside a base.

Changing weapon accessories on the move would be very arcadey. I'm against it.

Modifying your weapon before battle on a loadout screen would be okay though, I guess.

A proxy-system to change any lightly armed vehicle in an unarmed would be cool. E.g.: OA UH-1H Huey unarmed and repainted as civilian helicopter :)

Who changes weapon accessories on the move in real life? For that matter, who even changes them outside a base.

your lacking an imagination... there is oh so many accessories that can be used in oh so many situations for extended deployments and dynamic situations....

your lacking an imagination... there is oh so many accessories that can be used in oh so many situations for extended deployments and dynamic situations....

The only accessory I, and anyone else I've ever worked with, needed to change in the field was the scope (from day scope to night scope).

But hey, it's a game at the end of the day; so why not.

The only accessory I, and anyone else I've ever worked with, needed to change in the field was the scope (from day scope to night scope).

But hey, it's a game at the end of the day; so why not.

what about a suppressor ? when you don't want to give away your position in multilayer or even single.. and take it off when you move into buildings so you can move easier in tight areas...

or laser pointer to be used in conjunction with your NV goggles at night at medium ranges firing from your hip when moving fast and switching to a flashlight when you get indoors... blah blah.. I could go on...

Better tracers and a new light system . I'm not a graphics nut , but the vanilla tracers in Arma 2 are kinda dull and the fact that a wall lamp can project light through a wall bugs me .

That's about it on the graphical side .

I would like to be able to see my squad's gear/loadout from the UNITS view in the MAP screen, without needing to pick each unit individually and then GEAR. I know I should remember who is who and what class they are, but a quick view showing who is carrying satchels or spare ammo for example, would help speed things up in the heat of a firefight. trawling a number of screens does lead to fatal delays.

cj

what about a suppressor ? when you don't want to give away your position in multilayer or even single.. and take it off when you move into buildings so you can move easier in tight areas...

or laser pointer to be used in conjunction with your NV goggles at night at medium ranges firing from your hip when moving fast and switching to a flashlight when you get indoors... blah blah.. I could go on...

All the cases you described are all done before going out into the field.

Also, you either zero your rifle with a suppressor or without. The suppressor adds weight unto the barrel which shifts your zero and point of impact. Also, except for certain SF units, most soldiers do not want to use suppressors for a simple reason, they work both ways.

When you are in the field enough, you learn to distinguish between AK fire and M16 fire. Hence, you can tell where friendlies are and where the enemy is in relation to them. Having them suppressed defeats that advantage. And finally, while a suppressor does suppress the initial discharge blast, it does not suppress the supersonic crack of a regular 5.56mm or 7.62mm round.

In regards your laser pointer, that must be done before hand in order to zero the laser in. Google "ATPIAL".

Please understand, I am just addressing the points you bring up in regards to real life; but ArmA3 is a game and I wouldn't mind seeing such an option in it.

Edited by Brute Force

The ability to lock your gun on a hole or in the wall or a window, In other words the ability to fixate on a peep hole. Instead of tapping left,right,left,left trying to get your gun facing through the hole. A button you could press that would your view closer to the gun so you can easily look through it and fire.

All the cases you described are all done before going out into the field.

Also, you either zero your rifle with a suppressor or without. The suppressor adds weight unto the barrel which shifts your zero and point of impact. Also, except for certain SF units, most soldiers do not want to use suppressors for a simple reason, they work both ways.

When you are in the field enough, you learn to distinguish between AK fire and M16 fire. Hence, you can tell where friendlies are and where the enemy is in relation to them. Having them suppressed defeats that advantage. And finally, while a suppressor does suppress the initial discharge blast, it does not suppress the supersonic crack of a regular 5.56mm or 7.62mm round.

In regards your laser pointer, that must be done before hand in order to zero the laser in. Google "ATPIAL".

Please understand, I am just addressing the points you bring up in regards to real life; but ArmA3 is a game and I wouldn't mind seeing such an option in it.

look its a game... you may talk about yourself and some others but if i want to switch between accessories out in the field that's my prerogative, and it is not prohibited in real life to take accessories out in the field so why should it not be a feature of the game...

why should it be a feature of the game...

That is indeed the question.

look its a game... you may talk about yourself and some others but if i want to switch between accessories out in the field that's my prerogative, and it is not prohibited in real life to take accessories out in the field so why should it not be a feature of the game...

That's what I said in the last paragraph. :)

As has been stated you would do all this pre-mission. However considering the premise of A3 implies weapons on the run, this could be a addition as a narrative necessity rather than an authentic system.

Put the IR pointer on one rail and the flashlight on the other?

I love the idea of detachable suppressors. It is realistic, practical in some scenarios and it won't inhibit gameplay that much (accuracy, zero, POI can be worked on).

Then again it depends on ammunition used to e.g. subsonic or supersonic. Supersonic and a silencer would mean slightly more range due to a slightly higher muzzle velocity.

Yes, of course they are a good idea for some scenarios, but not all (taking out dogs, lights, during the night etc). There are considerations to think about:

They are travelling very slow compared to normal rounds. Energy is 0.5 times mass time the velocity squared.

Subsonics are squaring a number less than 330. 5.56 ammo is squaring 905 at the muzzle for comparison, suppressors also slowing the escaping gas but providing a longer barrel.

Subsonic rounds travel below the speed of sound so they dont produce a crack upon wizzing past your head if the shot is missed.

The propellant is of a faster burning nature and subsonsics normally do not have a pointy tip due to no aerodynamic advantage.

Subsonics are normally the third of the mass of a normal projectile.

The amount of situations that you need this? Not many - though it does have its positives:

Will not penetrate a whole lot but at the same time, it won't make you go deaf in a small enclosed space.

Always benefits for night fighting with reduced muzzle flash and noise or using a distraction device while engaging - this can help with being undetected. And of course, less recoil, great for CQB.

In CQB you'll always have the noise of your action, muzzle blast (though quieter) and the noise of the projectile impacting. So let's not make it 100% quiet, eh?

Wounding capability:

"For 99% of uses, subsonic rifle rounds are STUPID. Subsonic rifle loads are a very niche item. Because they are traveling at typical service handgun caliber velocities, there are minimal stretch effects and uncomplicated soft tissue wounds are very similar to those caused by non-expanding handgun projectiles. Some subsonic loads do indeed use very long, heavy, pointed rifle projectiles (like the .30 cal 220 gr SMK OTM) that may, depending on shot line and tissue thickness, yaw over while traversing through the body. If this occurs, the permanent crush cavity can be a bit larger during maximum yaw than when the projectile is point or base forward. In any event, subsonic rifle projectile wounds are substantially less severe than wounds caused by normal rifle loads." - Dr Gary K. Roberts, Wound Ballistic Expert.

As has been stated you would do all this pre-mission. However considering the premise of A3 implies weapons on the run, this could be a addition as a narrative necessity rather than an authentic system.

Put the IR pointer on one rail and the flashlight on the other?

sure why not... if its interchangeable you can do anything to any weapon...

And I think it would be that kind of addition, not pre-game. At least I hope not or our MSO's won't be MSO's! We wouldn't be able to transition from day to night and start using night vision equipment, flashlights etc on the weapon systems. So I'm sure BIS has thought about this. Maybe spare optics (NV or not), flashlight attachments etc in your gear ready to be put onto the weapon. They might have equipment boxes with the attachable equipment for your weapon within them.

That's what I said in the last paragraph. :)

:) sry i missed that, ingame atm not the best reading time

ArmA 2 conceptional was very decent work. There were only details, like AI (especially in CQC and SIDE2SIDE behavior - CIV vs OPFOR, CIV vs BLUFOR), net code, animations, march arrays, editors and all this modding stuff. If You can fix this and keep ArmA 2 as it is, then You can count on every ArmA addicted person.

You could learn something from Americas Army about nice looking and handy tricks. I mean weapon behavior while standing against walls or obstacles or field medicine. I don`t expect to do it just like it was in AA3, but adapting would be nice.

There is one more thing, ArmA 2 pretends (like no other games) to be a MilSim when it has to be. Guys from ACE mod and ACRE mod, do a great job. Please implement somehow this piece of code or this idea as a separate game play mode (this will let play more casual - but not exclude milsiming). ArmA 2 + ACE + ACRE is like a fairytale for Me, but it`s always problematic to be matched with ACE supporting servers. If You could patronage (somehow in DEV level) then You could make happy even worst haters on the world ;)

Edited by kloony

Aspects of weather to improve, the rain/overcast graphics in Arma2 and OA is one of the worst I've seen in a modern game.

No more robotic voices, please..... it was quirky in OFP 10 years ago but to be still hearing them essentially the same all these years later is a bit much, need more dynamic stuff in there eg Rug DSAI style as well as an overhaul of how the actual radio messages are presented (authentic sounding chatter)

Edited by Nads

- Moveable inside Vehicles, Shoot out of vehicles, and actually open the door/Ramp to get out. dont just teleport out of vehicles

Yeah, that would be great! So HALO jumping will be like in real life when you walk towards the ramp of a C 130 in full flight and let yourself fall down ;)

. More intergrated warfare.

- Naval operations with marine based support platforms. Fully functional aircraft carriers with defence systems and rearm/refuel capability, weapon systems capable of providing support for land based units. Bigger and better templates for airbases/FOB's/army bases. More options for the Jtac like shared visuals from plane to ground and reversed.

2. WarFX

- Better particle and smoke effects, more realistic explosions. Shockwave effects, diffrent graphics for diffrent munitions (clusterbombs, missles, artillery, Jdam's). Ribbeling air above hot surfaces such as engines. Better effects surrounding planes, vaportrails, aifterburners etc.

Destructible ground. More gore, in real warfare soldier lose limbs, and a headshot with a heavy caliber weapon givs quite a mess

3. Physics

- Just overal improved physics, no more floating planes and bombs. Tanks that can drive over rocks without glitching out.

4. Animations

- IMPROVE THEM!!

Aspects of weather to improve, the rain/overcast graphics in Arma2 and OA is one of the worst I've seen in a modern game.

+1

I want to big storms, black clouds.

Severe weather.

+1

I want to big storms, black clouds.

Severe weather.

And night in the country is a lot darker too. Night is really night.

The ability to lock your gun on a hole or in the wall or a window, In other words the ability to fixate on a peep hole. Instead of tapping left,right,left,left trying to get your gun facing through the hole. A button you could press that would your view closer to the gun so you can easily look through it and fire.

I actually like this idea but how would something identify itself as a position where a lock can occur. I imagine it would be similar to proper bi-pod use. So a shelf might be needed not just a hole. Firing from those castle turrets was never efficient.