Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

Why are people so conservative?

Only a few threads are up here now, and I´m already noticing a trend here. A lot of concern seems to be about the near-future scifi setting BI has to go on, with the KA-52/Mi-28 hybrid, the merkavas in digicam and the general future setting, as well as some features like the customizeable loadouts.

Now I´m wondering, why are people so conservative about this, instead of embracing the change and the fresh air that´s being breathed into Arma as a franchise with this?

Are you guys seeing the community threatened by a possible new influx of "COD-Kiddies"? Is it the anniversary of OFP that had you expect a similar setting and now leaves you disappointed? And why do so many people mind that it is a future setting anyway?

As I see it, BI are finally taking some artistic license with their work and are having fun again with what they do, instead of trying to painstakingly assembling a dry realism fest set in the 80s/90s again.

Looking forward to your thoughts, because I really don´t understand you.

Cheers

Insta

I agree, I kind of like that they're moving it forward, but on the same note, if futuristic things do get boring, there is always the fantastic array of mods that are constantly sprouting out to change that, it's not going to change.

I don't mind what setting it is in, as long as it plays and feels like good old OFP/ArmA.

Something new is a great way to bring in new people, while still retaining that feeling of the old games to keep the old players. New players give more money to the devs to make great games. There will be mods, I can guarantee that.

I'm all up for the changes. People are buthurt because they didn't see their abrams or m16... I'm pretty sure most of the A2 stuff will make a come back in A3. I wouldn't like to battle against 80's bmp's or t90's with modern abrams AGAIN.

The problem is that people are afraid it will have to ditch realism in favour of predicting how futuristic weapons will work. And those are legitimate concerns.

With modern tech you know some (if not all) of its stats. You know that the dev has a lot of info on how that stuff properly works.

The futuristic "what if" won't give you good results if you want realism

Mind you I would be more than happy if Carrier Command was ArmA IN SPACE!! - I just want ArmA itself to be ArmA

The problem is the community based on military enthusiasts and ex-military personel, not on common gamers, who, in vast majority, ditched previous games for their bad gameplay. And these people tend to be really conservative. It's probably the same situation as with any other hobby, where people being given something new, automatically reject it at first. Also, please note that huge market of ArmA2 is located around USA, which is known for their conservative beliefs. And there you have your answer;)

Edited by Smookie

I don't see why people are making such a fuss about the future setting and futuristic vehicles. At the moment we do not know what the full complement of vehicles and weapons will be, so for all we know (and is most likely to be the case) all current vehicles and weapons will likely to be included in arma 3 too for Bluefor. Though weather the current Opfor ones are is at best likely to be 50-50, but certainly possible.

Change is a good thing right?

But in all seriousness, as long as we don't go to far into the future and the game still 'feels' like Arma then I say HELL YES!

If ArmA 3 took place in World War II I would've been okay with that. I also don't mind that it now takes place in the future.

As long as they keep all the good/realistic stuff and the OFP/ArmA gameplay. And I hope they can improve some things. I'm really hoping that they make sniping more realistic/difficult and that ghillie suits actually matter and that stealth is a bit more realistic.

But yeah, so far I'm looking forward to ArmA 3 :).

A lot of concern seems to be about the near-future scifi setting BI has to go on, with the KA-52/Mi-28 hybrid, the merkavas in digicam and the general future setting

It's part of the immersion for me. I really don't like the SCARs in OA and it seems that they're taking it to the next level. OFP and Arma were always about realism and the equipment is part of it, not only pure gameplay.

Here's a funny fact for you: Some people enjoy realism and MilSim.

If I'll want futristic/unrealistic equipment, I'll play Carrier Command

or CoD FPDR

Of course, if it's within some reasonable boundaries, I'm okay with it.

It's part of the immersion for me. I really don't like the SCARs in OA and it seems that they're taking it to the next level. OFP and Arma were always about realism and the equipment is part of it, not only pure gameplay.

Here's a funny fact for you: Some people enjoy realism and MilSim.

If I'll want futristic/unrealistic equipment, I'll play Carrier Command

or CoD FPDR

Of course, if it's within some reasonable boundaries, I'm okay with it.

+1, If you want fantasy play COD...

If you want realism modern warfare simulation, play ArmA2....

What's the point of reffering everyone to other games? And yet, has it ever occured to you that if the guy likes let's say sci-fi (please check the difference between sci-fi and fantasy...), he might not like the CoD mechanics? It's just shows the real level of the community...

Edited by Smookie

I agree with this newer setting, and if you don't like it then make a mod... just like everyone else :p

Or at least wait for a mod

Yup, like I said in another thread, people are too quick to judge minor things that are easily fixed in mods, look at the Invasion '44 mod. That's a tremendous mod and it goes back 60 years, we can just as easily take a game set 15 years from now and make it "current".

I want more details on the game engine and physics like ballistics and more realistic destructible environments oh and let's not forget the AI.

That´s pretty nasty of you, you know? COD offers NONE of the gameplay I´m looking for. No open world, no squad and above level tactics, no real choice of weaponery, gear or strategy, much less tactics, no combined arms warfare, no interaction with the environment, the list goes on and on endlessly.

Plus, this is going to be a near future sci-fi setting, not a fantasy setting. Or are you seeing dragons and elves anywhere? Like I said, dismissing the game because you don´t like the pouches on a specific soldier model, or because the front glacis of the merkava as 2 rivets less than the real one is kind of excessive. It´s fair enough if people don´t like the future setting, but the way it seems to go is a little bit extreme. And referring one to other games doesn´t cut it, because there is NO other game that has gameplay of an equal scale as Arma/Ofp.

There will be mods that adress your dislikes. Take the game for what it is, and enjoy it for what it is. That the gun has a laserpointer and holo sights on it doesn´t make it handle any differently, gameplay wise, than a gun without. All you´re complaining about is the looks and gear, which are just superficial.

I for one am positive about the setting, but I think I´d have been just as excited if they´d announced a vietnam or korean war era setting. It does-not-matter. What matters is that the game below the surface is GOOD. To me, the setting is really just the icing on the cake, or the cherry if you will.

As such, the points that have been made so far are fair, but I think at times a little extreme.

I like the near future setting. I mean... It might not even be near future. Its like... whats it called... Well you get it.

It's not that far forward, some of the technology that is out now that seems so far in the future is readily available, in but a few months.

Take for instance the Exo-skelelton equipment, they're already making the second generation, and it's proven to work, what you've seen so far for ArmA3 is not that far fetched.

If the Arma3 screenshots had been Carrier Command screenshots -I'd find a bridge...

Not that CC doesn't look interesting, but I'd hate to see Arma go that route ie..lasers/photons/scottish engineers...

I'm glad BI is flexing creative muscle while still keeping it in the "real". I've got a hunch that this game will surpass what we expect and satisfy in a way unknown since OFP launched.

So why don't change sex :confused:

Change is not always good. It may improve, but it may also make things worse.

Operative;1929149']So why don't change sex :confused:

Change is not always good. It may improve' date=' but it may also make things worse.[/quote']

Bohemia should entertain you at their expense? Think about what I've said there.

I welcome the influx of any-kiddies, provided there are mechanics to limit the absurdities one might commit on a public server, like TKilling & general mayhem. ;)

But in all seriousness, as long as we don't go to far into the future and the game still 'feels' like Arma then I say HELL YES!

@[GR]Operative:

You should have read the rest of my post mate. :)

Looks like there will be CWR3 for all of us who likes the good old stuff. AK-47,M-16, T-80, Abrams. :D

But seeing where ArmA 3 is going, ArmA 4 will have Ka-50 spaceship....

Not that CC doesn't look interesting, but I'd hate to see Arma go that route ie..lasers/photons/scottish engineers...

Hey, some of us can build shit you know. :P

I agree though. Don't want to go too far ahead, I could never stomach BF2142 as I preferred closer to my own time.

Sad but true coming from a Metal Gear fan, but it is still set in the past and near future too. Also only the Metal Gears themselves were actually fictional, almost all the tech featured had been a prototype or in service at some point.

The same with the gear shown so far in the A3 screenshots with exception of the attack heli.

this is BIS we're talking about, not IW and i think people are failing to realise that... there is about a billion posts under the A3 section complaining about things, requesting things etc. if they actually had any idea how this community worked they would know that BIS sort the engine and make sure the game is good standard, then the community come along and mod it to hell, making it to a perfect standard. all these "requests" people keep making are doing my head in already, makes me feel sorry for BIS after putting in all this hard work, even with the ARG, then people complain on the impact of the news. i've seen people on here already being ignorant claiming BIS do not listen to the community, well thats aload of crap , fact. BIS and its community are tighter than any other i've been apart of and it's ridiculous, even insulting to come out with somethin so stupid. i personally am loving what ive seen so far, i dont see titans or mechs, laser rifles or plasma grenades so as far as im concerned this game is Far from futuristic. we are already in the future, everything i've seen so far is already released on the military market, or is/has been a concept of some sort - so thats rules out the "unrealistic" debates i keep hearing. people are just blinded by current wars , wanting to live out the role of a current soldier in a current war. well BIS has already answered that with takistan, dont buy the A3 if you dont want that.

you can please some people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time.