Sign in to follow this  
flashbang151

No DX11?

Until i get the money to build a new machine, i'll stick with XP :yay:

Get a job.

Get a job.

That's exactly what I did when I wanted a new pc lol. Now if they would just stop laying me off I would be rather well set.

I'd still use OpenGL over DirectX purely over due to cross platform support and ideological reasons. OpenGL could possibly catch up very soon though due to mobile devices(Android, iPhone) that are becoming very popular recently, with many games being made with OpenGL ES. Same with WebGL. If DirectX opens itself up to mobile devices and then pretty much other OSes, it's a win-win situation for everyone.

GL is awesome in that it truly works on nearly every platform and is extendable.

What I'm looking at is taking full advantage of modern multi-core CPU and the newest GPU graphics abilities.

There is a huge market for indie style games and games that run on DX9 gen cards; OpenGL should be the choice over DX9. For big game releases, DX is *finally* ahead of the "competition". DX12 is scheduled to come out in a year or two, should be interesting, but not much info yet.

I just don't like the idea of being a computer enthusiast, dropping $300 on a video card, a multi-core CPU and not being able to take advantage of it because most games are targeted towards 9 year old tech (DX9 came out Dec '02). Threading and GGPU acceleration has been around for a few years, it's sick how long it's taking.

AMD plans on releasing a 20core CPU next year on 28nm. Intel will be on 14nm in the year after, which can pack 4 times as transistors in the same space. We'll probably 32-48 core cpus in 2013-2014 and OpenGL will be limiting games to ~4-6 cores because it doesn't support threading correctly.

They need to start caring about games, not just professional rendering. I would love to switch to Linux on my desktop, but I won't give up my bleeding edge game tech to do it.

GL is awesome in that it truly works on nearly every platform and is extendable.

What I'm looking at is taking full advantage of modern multi-core CPU and the newest GPU graphics abilities.

There is a huge market for indie style games and games that run on DX9 gen cards; OpenGL should be the choice over DX9. For big game releases, DX is *finally* ahead of the "competition". DX12 is scheduled to come out in a year or two, should be interesting, but not much info yet.

I just don't like the idea of being a computer enthusiast, dropping $300 on a video card, a multi-core CPU and not being able to take advantage of it because most games are targeted towards 9 year old tech (DX9 came out Dec '02). Threading and GGPU acceleration has been around for a few years, it's sick how long it's taking.

AMD plans on releasing a 20core CPU next year on 28nm. Intel will be on 14nm in the year after, which can pack 4 times as transistors in the same space. We'll probably 32-48 core cpus in 2013-2014 and OpenGL will be limiting games to ~4-6 cores because it doesn't support threading correctly.

They need to start caring about games, not just professional rendering. I would love to switch to Linux on my desktop, but I won't give up my bleeding edge game tech to do it.

But it certainly is not. And about XP been old; lack of proper updates is killing the dam thing, thats were Linux is taking ahead.

so the specs that were released were only the minimal specs requirement?

ArmA 3 doesn´t need DX11....

The most ArmA Players use to disable grass.......or set the vegetation to low.......for better see the enemies.

Also if you´re in a fight.....you will never see the whole increasement of the graphic power of ArmA 3.....your most concentation is focused to find your enemies.....:)

ArmA 3 doesn´t need DX11....

The most ArmA Players use to disable grass.......or set the vegetation to low.......for better see the enemies.

Also if you´re in a fight.....you will never see the whole increasement of the graphic power of ArmA 3.....your most concentation is focused to find your enemies.....:)

Some of us still play with everything maxxed, even knowing others have everything to minimum to try and get some edge.

I like to keep it real. :)

^This Disable Gras? No Thanks, I like the challenge

I played all through ArmA1 with grass off. I have to be really desperate now in ArmA2/OA/CO to turn off the grass. It looks too nice to turn off now lol. Looks like by the screenshots it'll be the same for ArmA3 for me.

The grass adds a certain challenge to the game. For me playing with grass on is much more fun as the enemy is harder too see.

Today I saw two separate DX10/11 comparison images from Stalker. They were both a split image of a different guy, DX10 on one side and DX11 enabled on the other. The only visible difference in both images was that his gas mask filter was more rounded with DX11 enabled. That's about as much as I know about DX11.

You should Try some comparison Between metro 2033 DX9 and DX11 pics.

Get a job.

Getting kinda tired of saying "i know that" right about now...

xp is a software not a hardware.

I am aware of this fact, but if i don't have enough for a rig, and saving specifically for it, how exactly will i pay for a new OS? Or why would i want to waste an install on this POS machine...

Point is, i'm updating all at once, no need for 7 atm. Not worth it.

Edited by Innomadic

Get a job.

A rather mean-spirited thing to say these days.

Today I saw two separate DX10/11 comparison images from Stalker. They were both a split image of a different guy, DX10 on one side and DX11 enabled on the other. The only visible difference in both images was that his gas mask filter was more rounded with DX11 enabled. That's about as much as I know about DX11.

Most of it isnt visually noticed its all under the hood. ;)

come on guys, stop trolling and spamming!!!

Please dont let this become another trollthread caused by Arma III, this is not the COD community, were all proper guys here!

What I think is very interesting about DX10-11 features and Arma III is Terrain Tessellation

This would make much more realistic terrains possible.

only games aimed directly towards DX11(as in exclusive DX11) would feature things like tesselation. which is not the case with A3, so i wouldn't be expecting that, terrain or other content.

afaik, there is no game that features tesselation features atm, nor planned

AvP had mesh tessellation, so did BlOps... or are we talking about two different things?

regarding this and this picture i also dont think we are going to see Terrain Tesselation in Arma III

but multiple games feature tesselation (including terrain) so i dont understand what you mean

Edited by PurePassion

regarding this and this picture i also dont think we are going to see Terrain Tesselation in Arma III

but multiple games feature tesselation (including terrain) so i dont understand what you mean

the first ss also shows even our "Hamok" model does not currently benefit from tesselation, it still shows hard edges in supposedly round corners.

I think PuFu means that since only DX11 allows for tesselation on GPU, and Arma 3 has DX10 as a minimum, BIS has to choose for the lowest common denominator/feature (DX10).

But techniques to implement tesselation in DX10 cards do exist (Instanced Tesselation), and allow for LOD optimizations along with (not totaly sure about the next one!) unified asset creation for both DX paths.

The game is due in ONE YEAR, so by the time, I'm pretty confident they will add more DX11 features along the way.

Among others, I'm pretty confident tesselation and real displacement mapping is high on their list, at least for the terrain, since they already have implemented parallax occlusion mapping to fake it in Arma 2. Instead of doing some clever software hacks to make it look like real displacement, you can have the real deal done by the GPU...

Perhaps, by a long stretch they'll have an actual DX11 mode in the game for those who have the hardware to take advantage. But i'm afraid that may be too much work for them in the long run, especially with a year to go, and we don't even know what stage of completion the game is even at yet.

Among others, I'm pretty confident tesselation and real displacement mapping is high on their list, at least for the terrain, since they already have implemented parallax occlusion mapping to fake it in Arma 2. Instead of doing some clever software hacks to make it look like real displacement, you can have the real deal done by the GPU...

displacement map (together with tessellation, otherwise it wouldn't work as intended) is one of those things that could change the amount of REAL detail available in video games. Although available and present for some time in movies and cg images (i have use it myself in several uni projects), this is still one of those features available exclusivly via DX11 api

Look at it this way. Next year has already the third and perhaps even fourth generation DirectX 11 capable hardware on it's agenda.

It's not like it's brand new or something. You probably can't even buy first-gen DirectX 11 hardware by the time ArmA 3 is released.