Sign in to follow this  
Westsailor

Need headset recommendation.

I discovered last night the mic on my headset no longer works. Time to start shopping for a new one I guess.

At the risk of getting 'N' different answers in 'N' different posts, can anyone recommend a comfortable 'over the ears' headset with good voice & audio for <$100?

Edited by Westsailor

Logitech G35 Gaming Headset.

7.1 surround sound and i've never had a problem with it :D

Definately go for Souround Sound, its worth the price

As an ex-surround headphone user I can't really recommend those. The individual speakers and their many channels (not to mention the structure itself) are liable to break, the sound quality is often subpar and the surround effect is very questionable. I've gotten a better surround sound with normal stereo headphones coupled with an X-Fi card's CMSS-3D effect.

I've had an Icemat (now Steelseries) Siberia headset for some years now and am extremely happy with it except for the fact that the microphone passed on at some point, although it has to be said that I have a knack for rendering them dead and the new model has a different kind of mic. The sound quality is very good for its price and it's very comfortable to wear. Check any review and it's going to be very positive.

"Surround sound" headphones are nothing more than a marketing ploy. Headphones with two channels are just as capable at producing the illusion of three dimensional surround sound as are those that claim to have several separate channels (despite the fact that they're are all essentially located in one of two places).

I'd recommend Sennheiser if you're looking for high quality headphones, but their headsets will probably run you a bit over $100.

Steelseries. Light as a feather with great sound and the "illusion" of surround sound

Steelseries all the way. The most comfortable headset I've ever had, durable and the voice quality is outstanding. Choose the ones with cloth in them, and your ears won't get all sweaty, which I found to be a major problem with other headsets. The retractable microphone is also the best mic I've ever had.

Well what exactly d'you want, a gaming headset/multipurpose? would you be able to tear-off the mic from an old headset if it still works and tape it somewhere on your computer desk?

At the moment I'm rocking some studio monitor headphones as I'm a bit of an audiophile who likes detail in their music, and they go hand in hand with gaming, they give me pretty good surround sound but you also gotta be weary of some headphones which just give the illusion of surround sound. For communication I just use an old mic from some old broken officey-type headphones 'sennheiser m@b 25', and it stands nicely between my keyboard and my mouse and good distance from my mouth :p

I'm using the 'Audio Technica ATH M50' (priced around $100) and probably the best purchase I've made in my life for headphones for music, the sound reproduction is on-par with headphones of 2x or 3x their value they're insanely comfortable, robust and surprisingly light and practical. but maybe they're not what you're looking for as they don't have a mic :confused:

Edited by SASrecon

... you also gotta be weary of some headphones which just give the illusion of surround sound.

All headphones just give the illusion of surround sound (with which there is nothing wrong). "Surround sound" headphones just do it in a really gimmicky way.

Well what exactly d'you want, a gaming headset/multipurpose? would you be able to tear-off the mic from an old headset if it still works and tape it somewhere on your computer desk?

At the moment I'm rocking some studio monitor headphones as I'm a bit of an audiophile who likes detail in their music,

(snip)

Same here... I have some Beyerdynamic studio monitor 'phones that I use when I listen to music.

Otherwise I use my Audigy 5.1 surround system for gaming (I've already discovered 5.1 headphones weren't in the cards).

When my cheapo 'Skype' headset mic died I just thought I'd replace it with a better quality 'multipurpose gaming' headphones w/ mic realizing I'd likely be compromising audio quality unless I plunked down some big bucks.

I didn't consider using my Beyerdynamics for gaming with an 'outboard' mic. Wonder if my Thinkpad laptop mic would suffice. I'd have to redirect my record input to the onboard soundcard but that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'll give that a try... you might have just saved me $100 (Next time you're in Guatemala I'll buy you some beers :)

I use the Creative FATAL1TY Pro Series MKII Gaming Headset. I dont know much about other Headsets besides the crap 15€ stuf I had before but im very happy with it.

Has a detachable microphone and keeps the exterior noise out. In fact the baffling is so good you can use the headset as ear protector.

Uses 2 x 3,5 mm plugs for Headphone and Microphone so no hazzle with USB...since my USB ports are all used up.

Suround sound is the same fake effect like HDR bloom and other post processing effects used in games nowadays...You have only 2 ears...you can't hear more than stereo. It the "better than real" approach some Companies go in sound and graphics.

Edited by Beagle

Sennheiser pc360. Great mic and stereo sound quality.

I have the Sennheiser PC-350, and find these good enough for my needs. Also find the large ear piece fits over the entire ear and thus I don't feel the affects of ear fatigue/discomfort after several hours of constantly wearing them, like some other headsets I've used in the past (therefore very comfortable)

Tritton AX PRO 5.1 Gaming Headset. $160.00 USD.

Most gaming headsets are only compatible with one platform, but this is compatible with PC, XBOX 360, PS3 and even DVD/BD-ROM players. Also comes with a reliable, high quality microphone which can be used to communicate through XBOX LIVE, or for recording and trasmitting audio to your PC. The sides the headset even light up when the headset is turned on.

Had it for around a year now, great piece of hardware. :cool:

Edited by Laqueesha

Plantronics GameCom377

40 bucks at best buy

as long as you don't have a weird shaped head, this will be the single greatest headset you ever buy.

Don't let the price fool you, I can easily hear footsteps coming from any direction and pinpoint which direction in any game. Voice chat comes through clear and the audio is excellent. Amazing headset for the price.

I have a Steelseries headset, and they're on most of the day. Robust main cable, which is split in two; one short part connects to the headset, and the long part connects to the pc has the volume control. The potmeter here is of not best quality, I had to replace it due bad connections. The mike is separate with a clip, and no boom to leak earsound to the mike (if that is important). Superb fit for me (best ever I think), and I wear glasses and often fall asleep with headset on (not kidding!) :) Sleep too often with them (lots of rubbing action) and the glued paddings will come off, but can be easily fixed. They didn't "look like much", but I was sold when I tried them on (only a few stores will let me try, which is important due to glasses and how much I use them). I haven't tested them for sound leakage though.

For audio applications (sound work and music production), for me nothing beats Sennheiser.

G35 all the way for me. I have had the headset for over a year now and its absolutely brilliant in my opinion!

I use a Roccat Kave and the difference made in playing the game was enormous. It's one of those headphones that uses multiple speakers and it really does work perfectly. Before that I used a creative fatality headphone, it used a usb port and I had nothing but problems with it, including poor support from creative.

Buying the Roccat was one the best improvements for playing Arma imo!

I would also recommend the Roccat KAVE headset. At the time of purchase it was the only surround sound headset that didnt use USB for the primary sound.

It has a USB but this is only for the lighting, proper audio jacks into your soundcard beat USB hands down. Plus it has the directional speakers for true suround sound rather than the simulated sound you get from most others.

The build quality is fantastic and the sound cancelling ear cups means you have a great excuse to ignore your significant other when shes in a moaning mood :p

Roccat KAVE here too. Multiple speakers and a strong bass are really the upside of this headset. Only negative thing is that I had to tweak much in the Sound configuration to get a really good Sound. But this is only because of my quite bad Soundcard. It still sounds awesome!

(Can someone recommend a good soundcard?)

If you don´t have a good Soundcard, then you mightconsider buying the Medusa 5.1 NX USB. Also multiple Speakers and a really good sound despite beeing on USB

Edited by Tonci87

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board. The internal mic in my laptop idea didn't work in-game. Not sure why because it works otherwise.

I like Sennheiser. Their higher end stuff anyway. The PC161 are close but I prefer 'over the ears' headphones, the kind that completely cover your ears. Otherwise the pressure on my ears get to be too much after a while.

Edited by Westsailor

I use a Roccat Kave and the difference made in playing the game was enormous. It's one of those headphones that uses multiple speakers and it really does work perfectly. Before that I used a creative fatality headphone, it used a usb port and I had nothing but problems with it, including poor support from creative.

Buying the Roccat was one the best improvements for playing Arma imo!

Roccat Kaves are the best headphones I've ever listened to, however after going through 3 headsets under warranty I gave up (a speaker died in two and the third had the control box die, they're now discontinued at almost all Australian stores I think), thinking of going with the G35's now - they're only simulated surround sound though, and unfortuneately being USB it means it bypasses my Fatal1ty sound card. Granted, I'm thinking that wasn't the wisest PC component choice ever ...

Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board. The internal mic in my laptop idea didn't work in-game. Not sure why because it works otherwise.

Ah that's a shame, well hope you find something which does work and suits your needs :) and remember the more you look up reviews/different products, the less likely you'll be disappointed with your purchase, I remember splashing out over £50 for some 6-7 year old sennheisers (515s) and only realised they were released way back in 2004 after they arrived and had been opened and I could've gotten something more up-to-date and way better for the same price, but that's how life goes, you learn by trying different things (In my case pricey headphones :D) and from your mistakes!