Sign in to follow this  
MJR. Gastovski

What's your favourite war movie?

OK so this is not an OFP topic but ever since I played OFP I wanted to see more war movies and I thought "Wonder which war film these people like?" and so I just made a Poll to see. And one more question, is Blackhawk Down the main reason why the Blackhawk in OFP is so popular?

none of those rank in my top 3 war-movies....

btw, top gun = war movie?confused.gif

"OK so this is not an OFP topic"

Which is why we have an off topic forum wink.gif

Moving to OT smile.gif

The worst (as in unrealistic) movies have to be anything by John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone, or Arnold Swartzenager(Definetly Spelling). And don't get me started on the downgrading Delta Force series. Those just sucked.

im afraid it wasnt a film but if it had been id have watched it from start to finish

Band of brothers to me, had some of the best action seens ive ever seen, they even outranked the ones in saving private ryan big time.

Full Metal Jacket, is my absolute favourite. The miniseries Band of Brothers was also very good.

I never likes SPR - it had a good start but a very standard and trivial development and ending.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grey Fox @ May 18 2002,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The worst (as in unrealistic) movies have to be anything by John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone, or Arnold Swartzenager(Definetly Spelling). And don't get me started on the downgrading Delta Force series. Those just sucked.<span id='postcolor'>

Some Wayne war movies aren't too bad, Iwo Jima is cool. But Green Berrets, that was laughable, HA ha.

-=Die Alive=-

Behind Enemy Lines

Top Gun

Three Kings

Pearl Harbor

------------------

None of these /\ movies are war movies.

||

My top 5 are :

1: The Band Of Brothers Miniseries

2: Full Metal Jacket

3: Platoon

4: Saving Private Ryan (could have been better, but I digress)

5: Kelly's Heroes (Call it a guilty pleasure, but Clint Eastwood and Donald Sutherland kick ass)

Actually the Delta Force series arent too bad. Im talking about the ones that dont have chuck norris in them. Chessy at some parts but its hollywood what can you expect.

My top war movies.

Black Hawk Down

We Were Soldiers

Saving Private Ryan

I also liked band of brothers too. Such an awesome miniseries. Sometimes it got a little to confusing with all the characters but not a big deal.

Hmmm...its an interesting fact that all those movies are American, with American soldiers. And they all have more or less...huge budgets, a thing that is synonomous with "Hollywood".

Apocalypse now(redux) had maybe one or two good sequences, the chopper assault and...on second tought, AN sucked big-time. Too artsy.

Three Kings, Top Gun and Behind Enemy Lines aren´t war movies. They´re popcorn action flicks.

BHD and SPR are my favorites. SPR had a good beginning and end, while BHD was great all the way (except the last 15 minutes...god bless america, they wouldn´t understand blah blah)

I'd say BOB, not seen SPR, BHD was rather good but BOB was better smile.gif

Stalingrad

Battle of Britain

Battle of the Bulge

And then all of those gory, "war is bad!" vietnam films biggrin.gif

Saving Private Ryan. I swear iv seen that a hundred times by now.

I do aspire to see BHD, but until i do, it will go unranked.

Behind enemy lines wasnt half bad in my opinion, but still not a favorite.

Enemy at the Gates definitel at least comes in second if not tied for first. Absolutely loved that movie.

Apocolypse Now, i was just disappointed with... confused.gif

How can one make a poll about best war movie and not include Full Metal Jacket...?

FMJ is by far the best, IMO.

I also liked Thin Red Line for being so ... different.

I also liked Stalingrad for not being American.

Platoon ain't bad either.

smile.gif

Hey MGR Gastovski, didn't you used to be called SGT Armstrong here?

The poll is missing some great movies. My list:

1. Cross Of Iron IMDB

I saw this underrated classic a month ago, and it really hit me. Fantastic and realistic looking battle scenes, a good plot and excellent acting. You can easily find it on DVD, absolutely worth checking out.

2. Das Boot IMDB

Was this poll restricted to land warfare? Screw U-571, Das Boot really captures the feeling of being inside a submarine. Again, excellent acting, but what really makes it a great movie is the atmosphere in the submarine. I own the book too, it's also worth checking out.

3. Guns Of Navarone IMDB

Pure fiction, yet so entertaining! Probably my all time favourite when it comes to adventure movies. Great plot, excellent performances by the actors. One of the films I'll never get bored with.

I think war films made in recent years really lack the feeling. Too often new movies all about special effects and body count. The plots often suck and are made for big audiences, a prime example being Enemy At The Gates. A nice movie ruined by a sad-ass love story. I gotta admit I love the scene where they cross the Volga. Yet I suggest people check out Stalingrad (IMDB) for a much better movie about the battle.

Time to go back to the garrison, bye bye!

// cam0flage

Hey all,

i have a few more to list

1.Hamburger Hill{Great Movie}

2.Where Eagles Dare{Number 1 on my list}

3.Dirty Dozen{Another Great Movie}

4.U571

5.Rules of engagement

6.Force 10 From Navarone

7.Midway

8.When trumpets Fade

9.The Eagle Has Landed