Sign in to follow this  
MJR. Gastovski

What's your favourite war movie?

I just watched Apocalypse Now Redux. I think one or two of the added scene's were uneccesary, but hte French Plantation bit added so much to the film. I cant believe they cut it in the original!

I also think I would have voted FMJ if it was on the list. Too bad there isnt a Wide Screen DVD of it to be had anywhere! Did they lose all of the release prints, or are they planning some sort of super 20 yr SE soon?

Warin I noticed your posting rights got buggered up as I saw a _Warin waiting to be authorised smile.gif

Was battle of the bulge the one with a shitload of tanks in it,if so then thats one i liked.

Battle of the bulge had a loveable German Tank Commander, and some germans dressed up has MPs and re-directed American forces and basically caused havoc. Then there were some huge battle scenes with tiger tanks and such.

I really liked the way the film concentrated on quite a few differetn characters

(The tank commander who lived for war, his faitful friend who was tiring of war, the ex-cop american who did som recon, the American gung-ho cheeky chappy tank commander etc etc.)

Anyway renagade, yes. thats the one biggrin.gif

I watched Battle of the bulge last week, pretty good film, I enjoyed it, rather irked me however that at the end of the movie it said something along the lines of "This movie is dedicated to the 1 million service men who fought in world war 2" I belive a smidge more than 1 million fought in the war, one would assume they were only dedicating the movie to American service men who fought in the war, frankly that smells of pooh smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ May 19 2002,04:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Battle of the bulge had a loveable German Tank Commander, and some germans dressed up has MPs and re-directed American forces and basically caused havoc. Then there were some huge battle scenes with tiger tanks and such.

I really liked the way the film concentrated on quite a few differetn characters

(The tank commander who lived for war, his faitful friend who was tiring of war, the ex-cop american who did som recon, the American gung-ho cheeky chappy tank commander etc etc.)

Anyway renagade, yes. thats the one  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I cant believe you guys liked Battle of the Bulge. That was about the most unrealistic version of the Ardennes fight that they could have made without having it occur in the Pacific. Jeez. That movie was a POS

Admittedly it was a very American film. And I would say you had every right to be "irked"

However what I find interesting is that i liked the German tank commander more than any of the American actors, so if the aim of the film was to be pro American and such (keep in mind its rather an old film) Then it didnt do a very good job biggrin.gif

It was unrealistic yes, but it was a fun movie. Better than the unrealistic tat that is brought out these days (behind enemy liens and such)

Well I dont know about the German tank commander being most likable, hate me but Im a Henry Fonda fan. I realy hated that movie though. I have no problem with people making up storylines within an overarching event (a la SPR or Kelly's Heroes), but I do think that if you are going to name the movie 'Battle of the Bulge' (or 'Pearl Harbor' for that matter), you should make an effort to make the movie true to the actual events. For example, if Saving Private Ryan had been named 'D-Day', or 'Battle of Normandy', I would be righteously pissed off

Btw, when did you become a mod King?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 19 2002,04:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Btw, when did you become a mod King?<span id='postcolor'>

Dude he was a mod way back, he resigned due to some 'unpleasantness' and now he's back, welcome back King!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stalingrad<span id='postcolor'>

I'm surprized as hell that wasn't an option of the poll and that it was only mentioned in the second page, get's my vote too, especially the undubbed original version tounge.gif.

PS some people have pointed it out already but a lot of the choices are laughable. Tog Gun?? Behind Enemy Lines?confused.gif? Gimme a break tounge.gif

What do you mean placebo the americans werent the only ones to fight and win ww2? LOL they never give england or canada any credit.

Anyone thing or A Bridge too Far? that one was cool cause it showed other countries contribution in "Operation market garden"

What really bugs me about Battle of the Bulge is the fact that the germans are driving american m48's , there is no attempt to make em look like tigers/panzers

My pix (Note :I am a fan of the Australian war movie)

1.Gallipoli (Mel Gibson)

2.Apocylips now (farms ducks at the back of the Tweed Valley in Australia, the never killed him, they coulden't find him)

3. The odd angry shot (SAS in nam)

4.FMJ (the one liners are great)

5. THE LIGHT HORSE (last great Calvary charge on the wells at Bashiba)

6. Hamburger Hill (makes more sense if your pissed [drunk for you yanks])

7.Glory (Morgan Freeman and Denzel at there best)

8.The Patriot (its Mel’s fine work)

9.Braveheart (old school war)

10.Enemy at the gates (because I have used one the Nagant rifles they did. and how that cunt hit anything amazed me, his story is a great one)

These are very fine movies

Hmmm, why isn't there an "other" option?

My favourite war movie is Kelly's Heroes or Apocalypse Now.

P.S. Three Kings really sucked....Mark Wahlburg is a talentless little assmonkey...he should stick to his homoerotic underwear ads.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ May 19 2002,06:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P.S. Three Kings really sucked....Mark Wahlburg is a talentless little assmonkey...he should stick to his homoerotic underwear ads.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed biggrin.gif. But I did get a kick out of the first scene

"Are we shooting people or what?"

"What?!"

"Are we shooting people?"

"What's the answer?"

"I don't know the answer that's why I'm asking!...I think this guy has a weapon!...yep, he's got a weapon!"

(Iraqi waving a white flag and holding an AK gets shot)

I liked 3 Kings, but you have to understand that it ISNT A WAR MOVIE. if you expect it to be a war movie, of course you will hate it

True, even so it wasn't such a great movie in general. Made me laugh here an there.

"Who's hurt?"

"It's all cow"

How can "Enemy At the Gates" be so heavily ignored in this thread? I think that is was as good or better than Saving Private Ryan. Why wasn't that one of the options on the poll?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ May 19 2002,06:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How can "Enemy At the Gates" be so heavily ignored in this thread? I think that is was as good or better than Saving Private Ryan. Why wasn't that one of the options on the poll?<span id='postcolor'>

Why are you surprized? he thought Top Gun was a "war movie". I admit I love fighterplanes and I liked Top Gun but it's as much a war movie as Sargent Bilko or In The Army Now

The worst part in Thre Kings for me was near the end...Marky Mark gets shot in the throat, but he's OK, because you can't have a big-name actor's character dying...then some no-name extra takes a minor hit and keels over dead like he'd been blasted with a howitzer.

Very predictatble and sloppy storyline.

mmmm..

Apart from Blackhawk Down (excellent book) I wouldn't rate any of those in the "real" sense of war movies.. way too Hollywood, though Three Kings is very funny.

The best IMO:

Das Boot (directors cut in the original german)

Battle of Britain

Cross of Iron (the original not the remake)

Patton

The Great Escape

Tora Tora Tora

Aces High

Aliens (yes.. a vietnam movie thinly disguised as SF)

Apocalypse now (redux)

Kagemusha (Akira Kurasawa)

I could go on, and it's all a matter of taste, but I wouldn't cite the majority of recent Hollywood attempts to capture a teenage (U.S.) audience. Ever wonder why there are no Falklands movies? ... oh.. the Americans weren't there.

I don't dislike Americans, believe me, just Hollywood fantasy.

BTW Top Gun fans, the F-5 Freedom Fighter (the "mig-28" in the movie.. lol) can kick the everloving pants off the F-14 in a dogfight with a decent pilot. How did the aggressor squadron ever get sucked into that. smile.gif

"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Black Hawk Down made me somewhat mad because they made it so there was a main character (Eversmann) and they made him do more in the movie than he really did. If I were Sgt. Eversmann that would offend me actually, though he can probably pick up chicks alot easier now. I don't remember exactly but I also think that they completely left out Howe ( in the book he is the most experienced soldier fighting) in the movie I dont remember him. I just recently saw apocalypse now redux, that was a good movie, especially the air cav parts and when they steal the CO's surfboard.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cargo @ May 19 2002,06:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aliens (yes.. a vietnam movie thinly disguised as SF)<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, what a load of bullocks biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The original Alien storyline was inspired by the writings of H.P.Lovecraft (he was waaay before Vietnam), to tell a tale of how insignificant humans and their understanding of morale and nature laws are, in this case set in contrast to the infinity of the universe. To show the entire human race as insignificant as an ant under a shoe.

The sequel is merely hollywoods attempt to take a well created universe and combine it with a template-written story to make some extra money. What may resemble vietnam era marines are simply the result of some producer thinking "let's add some heroic Uhmaricans to the plot so people can get a hard-on in the theatre and cheer at our flag represented in space".

I am surprised 'A Bridge too Far' hasn't been mentioned. Sure it was a long movie, but it was good.

My all time favorite would have to be 'Full Metal Jacket' It was funny and disturbing all in one and had some memorable scenes and quotes.

"How tall are you Private?"

-"Sir, 5 foot 9 sir!"

"5 foot 9, I didn't know they stacked shit that high, you trying to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, HUH?"

-"Sir, no, Sir"

"Bullshit, it looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your mamma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress, I think youv'e been cheated. Where the hell are you from anyway private"

-"Sir, Texas, Sir!"

"Holy dog shit!, Texas!, only steers and queers come from Texas, private Cowboy, and you don't look much like a steer to me so that kind of narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"

-"Sir, No, Sir!"

"Are you a peter puffer?"

-Sir NO Sir!"

"I bet your'e the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around, I'll be watchin' you!"

LOL, what a great movie. tounge.gif .

There should have been an 'other' option on the list. My pics (of the movies that I have seen) are as follows:

1.Full Metal Jacket

2.Platoon

3.The Band of Brothers series

4.Apocalypse Now (redux)

5.Saving Private Ryan

6.Battle of Britain

7.Patton

8.A Bridge too Far

9.A Thin Red Line

10. Enemy at the Gates

There you have it biggrin.gif

Tyler