Sign in to follow this  
MJR. Gastovski

What's your favourite war movie?

'We were Soldiers?' Are you insane? It was so bloody predictable I was bored stupid by the end.

Example: (In film) Some guy says 'I'm gonna have a son soon!'

Obviously he's going to die in a horrible, terrible way in the very near future.... which he does!

The parts with the wives are so poorly edited in I felt like ripping Mel's face off the wall. They chose the worst possible times to fit them in and half of it wasn't relevent. And to cap it off, the entire final battle scene was filmed in slow motion, which we guessed was going to happen 5 minutes before. I've never seen a film where people were leaving the cinema and walking out! Sorry to go on, but it was bloody terrible! Dedicating it to the soldiers that died at the was frankly a insult to the people who were killed.......

Grrrrr....

Strangely, I have never heard a Yank call a Vietnam film bad, and there are some really bad ones out there! Is this true?

.....calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean......

Green Berets is a bad Nam movie.

But there are alot of good Nam movies. I forgot to mention Firebase Gloria. Thats a good flick

My list:

ANR (Yes, it requires a brain to watch tounge.gif )

Dr. Strangelove (Fantastic film, if not 100% a war-film...)

FMJ

TRL (Different in a good way)

...I like those abbreviations smile.gif

I'm also tempted to say The Tin Drum, but I'm not sure a lot of people will know what I'm talking about.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

<span id='postcolor'>

I know this...where is it from? Please tell me, I can't remember. It's funny, no?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ May 20 2002,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Tin Drum<span id='postcolor'>

Was that one set in WWII and about a kid who's drum had a mind of it's own? I saw a movie like that as a kid in Russia and I liked it. Then again I'm most likely way off tounge.gif

1. FMJ (wtf, over?)

2. Saving Private Ryan

3. Platoon (missed this one too!wink.gif

Where is Kelly's Heroes? tounge.gif

some really good movies that everybody should have seen....

stalingrad.

winterwar.

waterloo.

das boot.

personally, i think american war movies are sometimes very good, but they are much much more mad as action movies than war movies, compared to european made movies...so any american who has the chance should see some of those i wrote abowe, its well worth the effort of getting the movies...(can be difficult there)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How can "Enemy At the Gates" be so heavily ignored in this thread? I think that is was as good or better than Saving Private Ryan.<span id='postcolor'>

Because of the silly accents and the lame-ass love story they added to keep the girlies happy. Overall I thought it was OK, but could have been a lot better and fifteen minutes shorter; then again, I thought the last battle in SPR should have been cut too, since it totally invalidated the 'War is Hell' message of the first 2/3 of the movie in favor of a typically heroic Hollywood ending.

'Beast' is another good one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but has been on the forums in the past (and that's despite being directed by the same guy who went on to make 'Waterworld').

Platoon is my favorite "Nam-movie", Saving Private Ryan is my favorite "WW2-movie" but the best "general-war-movie", the one that I like the most is Gettysburg.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ May 20 2002,02:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

<span id='postcolor'>

I know this...where is it from? Please tell me, I can't remember. It's funny, no?<span id='postcolor'>

From Airplane.....followed by another classic...

"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ May 20 2002,05:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ May 20 2002,02wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Tin Drum<span id='postcolor'>

Was that one set in WWII and about a kid who's drum had a mind of it's own? I saw a movie like that as a kid in Russia and I liked it. Then again I'm most likely way off tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Uhm, not quite smile.gif

The drum doesn't have a mind of it's own, lol...

Where'd you get that from.

No, it's about a kid who decides to stop growing. He figures if grownups are this stupid (killing eachother in the war), he doesn't want to become one. So he stops growing.

It's a really fascinating story.

I think it's banned in some places because it depicts the kid having sex with a grown woman. In the movie, he's 18 or something at the time, but the actor is still a kid, because the character has to look like one obviously.

In no particular order;

1. A Bridge too Far

2. Where Eagles Dare

3. Das Boot

4. Full Metal Jacket

5. Thin Red Line

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention 'Europa Europa'. It is a movie set in WW2 about a Polish/Jew boy who grows up in Poland but flees to Russia and joins a young Communist school. As the Germans advance, they pick him up and find that he speaks perfect German, so he goes to Germany and fights for the Nazi's. Well, I could go on and on about the movie, but it is a good movie worth renting.

It is a true story. I watched it in English subtitles, the language in the movie was Polish, Russian, and German, and the credits were in French.

The one scene that the movie could have done without is when the records building was bombed by an 'Allied' plane, it was a C-130 Hercules.... mad.gif Oh well, it didn't take away from the movie though.

I suggest you rent it.

Tyler