Sign in to follow this  
PH03NIX-ZA

CoD clone!?! (Extra Credits)

I was watching the "Ludus Florentis" episode and 04:07 in they used Arma II as an example of a "$50 million Call of Duty Clone".

I don't know if anyone here thinks that Arma 2 is a CoD clone but I certainly don't. I believe the problem here is just that they don't see FPS Milsims as a separate genre (especially as they've never realy experienced it) and that theres a whole different approach to play, more so than any 2 mainstream/arcade FPS's. I also believe they don't understand that the audiences can be dramatically different and not necessarily compatible and that just because a serious sim game can be played casually, doesn't make it a casual game.

I would like to ask people who have good points to contribute to please e-mail them (address at the end of their videos), to let them know why you think Arma is NOT a CoD clone and to please not flame them, as their statement may just have been a poorly researched one (something they rarely do), as overall they are a more considerate bunch.

I've e-mailed them essentially the above along with Dslyecxi's guide as an example along with some other points.

If any of you would like to see my e-mail I could post it up here.

Many, many people complained about this in the comments and the creators actually said it was a mistake - and apologized. Apparently they meant to use the cover from MoH and there was a mixup, or something.

Many, many people complained about this in the comments and the creators actually said it was a mistake - and apologized. Apparently they meant to use the cover from MoH and there was a mixup, or something.

One hell of a mix-up.

Old... Old... Old news. As said already, they apologized for it and explained the mix up. ;)

Sounds like he's just trying to cover himself

Gotta take everything game journalists say with a pinch of salt (as with any other reviewer), there's just too many different varied tastes in gaming for one person to pass muster on any game released and offer a fair and unbiased view. My opinion on such opinion makers probably started to get tainted around the time of the Kane&Lynch incident.

Sorry for bringing this up again

I sent a follow up e-mail to them apologizing for bringing up an old issue.

Edited by PH03NIX-ZA

Oopsie. Nevermind.

Edited by ryguy

As far as I'm aware they apologized for using Battlefield 2 cover in place of Bad Company 2. There was never any mention of Arma.

As far as I'm aware they apologized for using Battlefield 2 cover in place of Bad Company 2. There was never any mention of Arma.

Whatever.

The point stands that that section of the video was badly researched and game covers were chosen simply because of their appearance, not based on the actual merits of the game they represent.

So no need to jump on the barricades and, as far as I'm concerned, no need for this thread. No offense, Pho3nix. :)

None taken. Though I'm not so sure of the wisdom on their part in choosing a game cover with "Military simulator" written on it as an example of a 'CoD'ish arcade game even thoug it LOOKS modern day shooter like.

Why doesn't he re-upload his video with the COD clone reference removed? He can apologize for it all he wants, but this video still makes him look like an idiot.

Why doesn't he re-upload his video with the COD clone reference removed? He can apologize for it all he wants, but this video still makes him look like an idiot.

Keep in mind i don't think he does the slides. i think the artist does. it is a good show either way.

Hi, the only things that look like 'COD style' on the ArmA2 IMO are the overdone effects; like the unreal Post Processing effects that are like eat mushroms and the blur. Aside of the fact that you use weapons in booth games.

I haven't played the COD and don't want to play to that, as arcade i've the BC2 and as more serious game i've the ArmA2; AFAIK their mechanics and gameplay don't have nothing in common and every FPS games player that knows the history of booth wouldn't listen to something like that. The ArmA2 wins hands down. Let's C ya

I think they said they had tried the demo or so online and thought it was a CoD clone. For a casual observer, anything that has guns and soldiers in it looks like a CoD clone.

Let's not forget, the real CoD clones are CoD games. They have been making the same game over and over since the original Call of Duty: Allied Assault. If anybody wants to point fingers and say "CoD clone", they should start there.

They have been making the same game over and over since the original Call of Duty: Allied Assault.

Oh really? :rolleyes:

The first CoD successfully renewed the fine mechanics of war fps games and the change compared to the rigid and unrealistic Medal of Honor was very positive. MW1 is what we should look at when trying to assess the essence of a CoD clone: a cinematic and ultra-restrictive SP, Wolverine style healing and a multiplayer with experience points and perks n' shit.

The first CoD remains one of the best MP games I have played: it has varied and interesting maps and the expansion adds vehicles, and nobody has an edge beside their skills and what bonuses they attain in each individual match, the effects of which cannot even be compared to the mass slaughter bonuses of MW1 and onwards. The only down side was the bad lag dependent handling of hits.

Edited by Celery

To be honest, the escapist isnt really aiming at simgamers so i am not suprised that he, and his audiance are not slightly bothered by this at all. That said, i am not a fan of Extracredits anyway as mistakes like this are also made on more fundamental things and thus i tend not to watch it, and not worry about it when someone says something bad about my favorite game on the internet.

Hell, i am a big fan of zeropunction but i am sure that Yathzee would hate the game, and even if he ripped the game apart i would still watch it because he is often right (in my opinion) about games/the game industry in general. Also, he is hilarious.

EDIT: And i agree with Celery, CoD1 was an awesome game, after that it all went downhill. Still, i can enjoy the SP for what it is, sadly i cant say the same about the MP anymore.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Arma2 actually has some pretty good street cred at the Escapist, PCgamers that they are.

Who cares?

One guy thought Arma is arcady... big deal.

Maybe a few Cod player gets the game because of that remark.

I agree, the very fist COD together with its expansion was an incredible game!

Ahhhh.. but lets not forget these FPS (CoD,MoH,BF series with their over the top run 'n gun , spray and pray game play style) are all basically graphically enhanced clones of on of the original WWII FPS - "Days of Defeat".

CoDs since 4th are basically interactive movies which don't require anything from the "player" apart from pressing 'A' button once in thirty minutes to advance the cutscene. Oh and you can shoot (optionally)

I can see how they could see similarities with ArmA2

EDIT: The comment to that video is kinda telling

For the world's sake I hope Video games prove to be more than games, and rather become interactive videos with the majority of value being other than entertainment. I want games to become enriching, like having an fps focus on showing another man's perspective, more than just killing people because you can't do that for real.

Lawl

Edited by metalcraze

The first CoD successfully renewed the fine mechanics of war fps games and the change compared to the rigid and unrealistic Medal of Honor was very positive. MW1 is what we should look at when trying to assess the essence of a CoD clone: a cinematic and ultra-restrictive SP, Wolverine style healing and a multiplayer with experience points and perks n' shit.

The first CoD remains one of the best MP games I have played: it has varied and interesting maps and the expansion adds vehicles, and nobody has an edge beside their skills and what bonuses they attain in each individual match, the effects of which cannot even be compared to the mass slaughter bonuses of MW1 and onwards. The only down side was the bad lag dependent handling of hits.

My mistake, the subtitle for MoH was "Allied Assault", CoD didn't have one. That probably created all the wrong impression. Sorry about that.

What I was trying to say is that I thought the first CoD was pretty original, and that everything that came later was a clone. MW1 especially went for the "instantly gratifying" type of experience. CoD was a good single player experience and, as you said, was one of the best MP games.

So what I meant was that if you're looking for COD-clones, go look at MW 1, MW2 and Black Ops, because they are essentially that, the same game sold over and over.

Ahhhh.. but lets not forget these FPS (CoD,MoH,BF series with their over the top run 'n gun , spray and pray game play style) are all basically graphically enhanced clones of on of the original WWII FPS - "Days of Defeat".

Look at when the games actually released :P Medal of Honor (Way back in the 90's) Was the first WWII FPS. ^^ I know this because I owned it and played it before the guy who did CoD decided they should make their own game. The Multiplayer part may have started somewhere around the Day of Defeat timeline (But then again I believe Hidden & Dangerous was before even that, again in the 90's).

But all in all, you can't let people who haven't actually experienced the entire game and all it's features to provide a reliable review of a game. I never tried the demo of ArmA2 so I don't know if it was Arcade like, but if it was I can see how it might 'possibly' be called a clone (Even though in ArmA2 you can actually command a squad, go third person etc. etc. lol) by someone who didn't take the time to see it complete.

But reading that he had made a mistake by putting it up (I doubt it was a mistake by putting a MoH title up by one of the prior posts when MoH spawned CoD Lol) as a CoD clone.

But yes, can't get mad without doing research on why someone believes X unless theres a valid reason (Like they didn't do their research on subject X).

Hrm, I have lost my train of thought... XD So I'll leave this the way it is... haha... edit it later... rofl