Sign in to follow this  
Stefos71

Confusion regarding the "Reinforcements" DVD rom

What part of the following statement did you not understand? :P

Quote:Originally Posted by Official web

Standalone expansion to the original Arma 2.

http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/english/games/arma-2-series/reinforcements

Just that the words "Standalone" and "Expansion" mean 2 different things. "Standalone" implies that is runs without any other Bohemia Interactive software required (i.e. previous versions) and "Expansion" implies that it expands on the functionality of a previously installed version of ARMA 2.

Edited by twisted1in7

Can someone from Bohemia Interactive please chime in on this thread?

The confusion stems from the wording of the pre-release annoucements because "Standalone" implies that is runs without any other Bohemia Interactive software required (i.e. previous versions) and "Expansion" implies that it expands on the functionality of a previously installed version of ARMA 2.

Which then leads to the question: how would a standalone version run without the original ARMA2 or Operation Arrowhead game included?

Which then leads to the question: if Reinforcements contains an updated engine and does not contain the original ARMA2 or Operation Arrowhead then what exactly is that engine and will previous versions of ARMA2 receive that updated engine as well?

There are no single "Standalones" or single "Expansions" for this game. OA was a "Standalone Expansion", meaning it adds content to ArmA2 (creating a new "game" called Combined Operations) but can also be installed without owning ArmA2. There is only one engine - ArmA2 has recently been patched to 1.09, there is a OA 1.59 patch underway, probably being released simultaneoulsy with Reinforcements.

It works standalone and uses the same engine as OA / CO. There is no information available whether it will contain a Lite version of ArmA2:CO content. If Reinforcements is the only version of the game you own, then you will probably not be able to play on most MP servers (unless there is Lite content).

Edited by Flattermann

And it does both. If you're owner of Operation Arrowhead, it will expand it; if you're not, you'll get completely new game without need to buy anything else. Standalone expansion ;)

BTW: Operation Arrowhead was standalone expansion as well.

We should totally have gone with expandalone... whatever sexual undertones that expression may or may not have. :cool:

/usefulinput

RiE

"expandalone"

Hehehe nice.

And any ways I all ready have BAF VIA Sprocket but I want BAF and PMC on disk and will get it in 8 days time now in the UK :)

We should totally have gone with expandalone... whatever sexual undertones that expression may or may not have. :cool:

/usefulinput

RiE

I think the main confusion and the main question is...does Reinforcements contain the full OA content or not...last time I checked both campaigns had OA units in it. So it must be OA+BAF+PMC or it can't work right or BI made fully new campaigns or only deliver the AO units needed for campaigns to work..or use the "light" approach.

I think this points in question make the confusion, not the term standalone addon.

Is this a repackage of OA including PMC and BAF or not?

Is there anything new in it for users of OA+BAF+PMC?

Edited by Beagle

There are no single "Standalones" or single "Expansions" for this game. OA was a "Standalone Expansion", meaning it adds content to ArmA2 (creating a new "game" called Combined Operations) but can also be installed without owning ArmA2. There is only one engine - ArmA2 has recently been patched to 1.09, there is a OA 1.59 patch underway, probably being released simultaneoulsy with Reinforcements.

It works standalone and uses the same engine as OA / CO. There is no information available whether it will contain a Lite version of ArmA2:CO content. If Reinforcements is the only version of the game you own, then you will probably not be able to play on most MP servers (unless there is Lite content).

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Special thanks to Flattermann for the thorough response!

Time to purchase Combined Ops, which is only $5 more than Arrowhead alone and then get the DLC equal to reinforcements. I'm hoping Combined Ops will go on sale soon as we approach the Reinforcements launch date.

Edited by twisted1in7
spelling

Why buy the DLC equal to reinforcements? Isn't Reinforcements cheaper by itself?

Why buy the DLC equal to reinforcements? Isn't Reinforcements cheaper by itself?

I think the DLC for BAF and PMC adds up to $20 on Steam. I'm not sure what the launch price will be for Reinforcements standalone. I guess I should wait to see.

The devs said that you don't need A2 nor A2OA to play Arma 2: Reinforcements. Do you think that even so the RFT-campaigns won't work? :rolleyes: Why is this so confusing for some people?

Read this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1874615&postcount=14

This: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1881711&postcount=17

And this (the yellow part): http://www.arma2.com/rft

...and you're done, the confusion should be removed. :yay:

Edited by Undeceived

A2R is a hard copy (DVD version) for those who don't want to buy DLC.

BI decided to make it standalone (means it must have some/most OA content to work)

rather to put only BAF and PMC on the DVD and make an OA copy a requirement.

For me, Arma2 is about community content. So I wonder how much of the existing OA/BAF/PMC community missions/campaigns will run on this standalone. Probably very few, if any. And how many mod and mission makers will cater specifically to Reinforcements? Also is co-op gameplay restricted to 2 players? Anyway, how many multiplay sites would support the sandalone? For me, these concerns would make me not buy it simply as a standalone (mind you, I already have CO+BAF+PMC, so in reality it is a non-issue). But if you want to get the most out of Community content, for a novice I would recommend CO, plus BAF (if you are a Brit! - or just plain Anglophile) and if you don't mind spending the extra $$, PMC (which I think is the least value for money of the 4 packages).

Edited by MissionCreep

the A2: RFT is PMC full, BAF full and OA full (visual/audio) minus missions&campaigns ...

(it's not exactly OA lite per say)

Well, should Sticky a thread with all that detailed, will save some time next time.

I didn´t know that.....

And how many mod and mission makers will cater specifically to Reinforcements?

None that I can think of. Not that many addonmakers really cater specifically to OA these days anyways, and if Reinforcements is even less of OA than OA is, the people who buy it will probably never get to use any of the addons currently available.

There seems to be no need to cater for A2R in a specific way.

It is said to contain the same units, vehicles, weapons and terrains as OA.

But yeah .. the information about A2R is very much lacking..

What's the point of not including the OA campaign/missions?:confused:

Well, because players who want to enjoy them must buy OA.

Which is more expensive.

Did Lord of Destruction include the Diablo II "campaign"?

Did Broodwar include the original Starcraft campaigns?

Did Shivering Isles contain the Oblivion "campaign"?

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Another, more apt comparison:

Did the Guild Wars expansions include the campaigns that came before them?

It seems like the way the these standalone versions of ARMA 2 are being released causes the online community to become fragmented in the games and servers they can play on.

There should probably be some option for original ARMA2 owners to keep adding on to the original ARMA 2 with lower cost addons, rather than offering only these higher priced standalone expansion versions that could end up costing original ARMA 2 owners over $100 to keep current with.

The price for existing customers to upgrade should not be the same as the price for new customers buying fully playable standalone versions.

So how should BIS package ARMA 2 and subsequent expansions so that:

1. The entire ARMA 2 community can play together online

AND

2. The original owners of ARMA 2 are not bearing the highest cost of all players.

The only reason I can think of the BAF+PMC+OA combo is the prize.

Just BAF+PMC on DVD most likely would be losing bargain for BI - let alone to find

business partners to realize this.

As said before personally I would have voted for BAF+PMC+CO - yet surely there are

some good reasons that made this impossible, like the size leading to two DVDs for example.

My suggestion for the situation at hand would be a CO lite for every OA/A2R user.

So Utes, Chernarus and the missing units, vehicles and weapons to make sure everyone

can play together in MP.