Sign in to follow this  
JDog

USS Nimitz

How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How should aircraft maintenance be arranged?

• Refuel/Rearm/Repair all in one spot on flight deck
    • Refuel/Rearm between elevators 1&2, Repair in hangar bay
    • Rearm between elevators 1&2, Refuel towards rear of deck, Repair in Hangar bay

I've made a few quick changes today:

-"Raise/Lower Tailhook" is now "Tailhook Up/Down"

-Arresting gear can be lowered from 5km out now

-Added ZZEZ's spawning recommendation

For some reason the new spawning method makes setPos kinda unstable. Using the old method, vehicles and players now spawn 18 meters above the deck, as if the game recognizes the deck as terrain. However, against logic, not using setPos still sets them at sea level. So, using setPosASL is the only reliable method now.

I'll try to get a patch out tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by JDog

I've made a few quick changes today:

-"Raise/Lower Tailhook" is now "Tailhook Up/Down"

-Arresting HOOK (?!fixed?!) can be lowered from 5km out now

-Added ZZEZ's spawning recommendation

I'll try to get a patch out tomorrow or Monday.

Yay, thanks alot :) Sounds great. :cool:

Best regards

JDog, can you make the tailhook work when you start from an airbase or spawn airborne? As of now you don't get the option to lower the tailhook in that situation thus making landing on the Nimitz a gamble, especially when there is other stuff on the flightdeck und you can't use the whole length of the ship.

This is now fixed also. Previously only planes <10km from the nimitz at mission start got them actions. Now all planes should be getting it, including those spawned mid-mission.

Going to try to get the sounds sorted and working (again) later tonight and that'll probably be the last fix for this coming patch unless anyone else points something out that I can fix quick.

thanks a lot! looking forward to the patch ;)

Btw I don't know what you did but when I have a viewdistance of 10km and I fly high enough (~1500m) I can see it already at ~9km :yay:

arma2oa2011-08-0706-11yv6w.jpg

Edited by Derbysieger

For some reason the new spawning method makes setPos kinda unstable. Using the old method, vehicles and players now spawn 18 meters above the deck, as if the game recognizes the deck as terrain. However, against logic, not using setPos still sets them at sea level. So, using setPosASL is the only reliable method now.

Thats interesting really, I always used setPosASL hence why I didn't notice it before.

Updated

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20651077/JDG_Nimitz.zip

• Fixed: Players/vehicles should no longer fall through the deck of the Nimitz now when joining a multiplayer game (thanks to ZZEZ’s recommendation).
  • Fixed: Previously, only aircraft within 10km of the Nimitz at mission start would get the IFLOLS/Tailhook actions. Now, all planes will recieve the action, including those spawned mid-mission.
  • (READ)Changed: Using setPos for placement of items on the carrier may no longer work, switch over to using setPosASL.
  • Changed: “Raise Tailhook†and “Lower Tailhook†now read as “Tailhook Up†and “Tailhook “Downâ€.
  • Improved: Tailhook options now accessible from 5km out, rather than 3.5km.

Hopefully will have 1 more update around the end of the month to include the sea sparrow and maybe some more functionality for the ship finally (boat davits, rearm area, or something else), before school starts back up, and that'll be the last update for a while until another larger update is ready.

Edited by JDog

Thanks Miller & Foxhound.

New poll up, vote if you can if you have a preference. Personally I'm rooting for option 2 :P

I've written a script to service the aircraft at the end of the landing script. Its just initiated via a trigger at that point which can be placed anywhere on the carrier.

The reason I put it there was if the carrier deck is full of aircraft, it can be difficult to manouver around to the lift or elsewhere. You can just keep taxiing to the Launch bars then in a forward direction (more convienient to get into the air again quickly). Having a script built into the carrier would be handy though.

I never even thought of doing like option 2 or 3 however which would be pretty cool and more realistic.

Edited by Rough Knight

j_frost, i would hope the deck wouldn't be packed with many more planes than are being used... that's what the hangar bay is for :) preferably the deck is only being used for as many aircraft as are currently involved in operations. and yes as convenient as it would be to not have to turn more than 15 degrees after landing before taking off again, just my personal feeling (and monarchic ability) to make it so that you you need to do something a little extra before you get back into the fight. even if it means driving 3 seconds extra across the deck lol >.> finding the balance between realism and gameplay-fun.

Porter707, good job, now try landing a B52 or An72. If you were curious to see if it only worked for a few planes or not... yea it works for everything that is a plane. Figured I'd rather not limit that part to players who just want to have fun, mission-makers can make it as realistic as they want with aircraft choices haha.

Currently working on a new addition to the Nimitz to go hand-in-hand with the maintenance update.

mhh will try the an225 xD

€: faaaaaar too big xD

arma2oa2011-08-0911-56hui9.jpg

Edited by Derbysieger

Known Issue: There are TWO Tailhook and IFLOLS actions that appear, this happens for planes that spawn WITHIN 10km of the Nimitz.

It still works fine but yea I'll have to remove that, not sure how I let that slip. Why didn't you two tell me? :P

Edited by JDog

I didn't notice it but I only tried one landing from the airbase on Chernarus and placed the An-225 on it. Now that you say it I see it^^

When I place an airplane on Nimitz it falls through to the water why?

Have I missed something? It happens to all planes and even soldiers.

You need to use setPosASL to place objects on the carrier.

i.e. if you want to place a plane on the deck you put this in the init:

this setPosASL [getPosASL this select 0, getPosASL this select 1, 18]; 

Nikiforos, there's a NimitzGuide for a reason. Please read it, otherwise you'll probably end up asking more questions here that don't need answering. Unless planes are actually "falling through" to the water and not just starting on the water... in which case I'd have no idea what the problem is.

Here's some eye candy. Some of the ordnance containers to be in the "Maintenance Upgrade" to the Nimitz. They'll definitely be in the storage room below decks, not sure if I'll include them as their own models/classes to incorporate yet. Might slow down some comps if too many of them are included at once, not sure.

Myke has been kind enough to allow me to use some of his fantastic ordnance models and textures to get this done more quickly.

ammoRoom1.jpg?t=1313108307

^Screenshot from Max, not ArmA

Beautiful addon. Still minor issues to work out. Not sure if it's been mentioned or not as I haven't read the entire forum, but vehicles still seem to sink into the lifts as they go up. Might I suggest a small code or something that allows you to attach the vehicle to the elevator and then detaches it. Not sure if that's capable of being done with objects like this but figured I'd suggest it anyhow. Keep up the good work.

- Tog

- TF86

togoforb, it has been mentioned, and unfortunately its just an issue with game physics, or lack thereof. Right now there's a script that runs when the elevator runs, which gives vehicles on the elevator a very small "kick" every couple seconds to keep them "awake". Still no guarantee it'll work for every vehicle all the time, however. Attaching to the elevator, as you mentioned, is impossible.

I'm liking all this maintenance stuff I'm adding to the carrier so far, the refueling script is done and nice, tomorrow I'll work on re-arming scripts now that the room model is pretty much done, at least for now. Still not quite sure where to position the "repair zone" in the hangar bay or what kind of props to put there if any. Might leave the fine details of that for a later update. Especially since there's a good chance I'm gonna have a bonus treat in this update not related to aircraft maintenance that I'm personally pretty stoked about ;)