Sign in to follow this  
burnov

Any mods that radically change how helicopters fly?

I know I'm likely going to catch a lot of invective for this, but I'm just going to put the query out there anyhow, as I'm really curious to know.

I know that the helicopter flight model has been something of a contentiously debated subject since Armed Assault. However I was -really- disappointed to find out that you basically can't strafe using the rudder in Arma/Arma2.

Honestly, there may be some realism "grognards" who really like the new flight model, and I can sort of understand that given that flying in OFP was dead easy, and you could basically use FFAR with sniper-like precision without much effort.

However as far as I'm concerned most of the helicopters could be replaced with gimbals planes or something similar and they'd be just about as effective.

I won't go into mentioning a particular military-style shooter that also has helicopters, but all I can say is I really liked being able to fly and strafe around targets, especially with the more manuverable helicopters.

I honestly don't even come close to giving a toss if it's realistic or not, as I've heard plenty of people talk about how flying helicopters on actual flight sims seems to be easier in terms of performing specific actions.

I myself have been a longtime player since OFP came out and have always appreciated the efforts to maintain broad-scale realism, specifically regarding small arms handling and the fact that an expanding ring system is about as unrealistic as you can get.

But when it comes to helicopters, I hate to say it, I really don't give a rat's ass. I want to fly an AH6 and strafe and circle around my opponents whilst blasting them to pieces. While I certainly like every other realistic aspect of the gameplay, the helicopters are not fun. I might as well be flying a cessna with weapons and VTOL, boring.

So, TL DR version:

Are there any helicopter addons/mods out there that fudge the helicopter flight mechanics? Specifically relating to rudder usage at higher speeds?

Hi, im not aware of any Mod/Addon that changes the flying dynamics of the choppers, maybe the ACE mod improves it a bit... but im not on the ACE mod as i don't use it and it requires the OA/CO that i don't use neither; so im 95% sure that there isn't any Mod/Addon that improves the flight model of choppers or planes. Let's C ya

I'm pretty sure you're right, which is quite disappointing.

Fortunately ARMA/2 got pretty much everything else right.

nothing's wrong except your understanding of physics.

*cough*

Notwithstanding arguments against and for specific helicopters, if their aspiration were to create something truly realistic these would've been accounted for within the game's programming.

Basically meaning, even if it was not realistic for any of the helicopters in the game to do it, even though it's pretty obvious that the UH1-Y seems more than capable. It should at least be -possible- to create a helicopter that -can- through user mods.

There's a distinct inability to do this, and I can't help but wonder if the devs purposely nerfed that ability for the specific reason I liked it.

Just saying...

The rudder is there to give the chopper directional stability. Strafing is done using the roll control and is quite possible in arma, and as in real life you have to compensate with all other controls to keep the chopper level.

I fly side ways in helos periodically and can confirm its possible to do whats in the three videos linked.

Cheers.

I know I'm likely going to catch a lot of invective for this, but I'm just going to put the query out there anyhow, as I'm really curious to know.

I know that the helicopter flight model has been something of a contentiously debated subject since Armed Assault. However I was -really- disappointed to find out that you basically can't strafe using the rudder in Arma/Arma2.

Honestly, there may be some realism "grognards" who really like the new flight model, and I can sort of understand that given that flying in OFP was dead easy, and you could basically use FFAR with sniper-like precision without much effort.

However as far as I'm concerned most of the helicopters could be replaced with gimbals planes or something similar and they'd be just about as effective.

I won't go into mentioning a particular military-style shooter that also has helicopters, but all I can say is I really liked being able to fly and strafe around targets, especially with the more manuverable helicopters.

I honestly don't even come close to giving a toss if it's realistic or not, as I've heard plenty of people talk about how flying helicopters on actual flight sims seems to be easier in terms of performing specific actions.

I myself have been a longtime player since OFP came out and have always appreciated the efforts to maintain broad-scale realism, specifically regarding small arms handling and the fact that an expanding ring system is about as unrealistic as you can get.

But when it comes to helicopters, I hate to say it, I really don't give a rat's ass. I want to fly an AH6 and strafe and circle around my opponents whilst blasting them to pieces. While I certainly like every other realistic aspect of the gameplay, the helicopters are not fun. I might as well be flying a cessna with weapons and VTOL, boring.

So, TL DR version:

Are there any helicopter addons/mods out there that fudge the helicopter flight mechanics? Specifically relating to rudder usage at higher speeds?

Well, I know that when I fly the attack helicopters, the best workaround for me is to quickly put the helicopter into 'autohover' mode. When in the mode, you can bank your stick left or right, and the helicopter will 'strafe' left and right. You can also move the stick forward/backward for incremental movement forward and backward. Hope this helps a bit, man!

*cough*

Notwithstanding arguments against and for specific helicopters, if their aspiration were to create something truly realistic these would've been accounted for within the game's programming.

Basically meaning, even if it was not realistic for any of the helicopters in the game to do it, even though it's pretty obvious that the UH1-Y seems more than capable. It should at least be -possible- to create a helicopter that -can- through user mods.

There's a distinct inability to do this, and I can't help but wonder if the devs purposely nerfed that ability for the specific reason I liked it.

Just saying...

Two words: Practice -> Skills

This is easily possible in ArmA 2 without any mods, it just needs practice.

But when it comes to helicopters, I hate to say it, I really don't give a rat's ass.

Enough said.

With other words you are just requesting an arcade feature so you can fly sideways and strafe like a shooter kid?

Well if you didn't search & find anything arcade like that - there is this AddOn request thread....

counld not resist:

mod used: nothing pure arma2oa ;)

hardware: joystick logitech 3d extrem pro (30€)

trackir4pro

happy flying...

if you want stafing and shooting like in a shooter with chopper then go for

commanche 4 :D

greetz

Edited by themaster303

if you want bc2 type of flying, then you are out of luck...

it5to96fSpE

I for one actually like A2 chopper flight model quite a lot. You can do a lot more with some basic physics understanding and a twisting handle joystick

*cough*

Just saying...

Choke :D Just messing with you Brunov. Do a search on Dslyecxi here in the forums and also on youtube. You will see more of what is possible with Arma2 aviation. Dslyecxi also has a practice mod to help you improve your flight skills, part of which is, you guessed it, lateral flight.

I was thinking that.

I am normally am a sniper so haven't had much time flying but even I can strafe like that in the video.

counld not resist:

mod used: nothing pure arma2oa ;)

hardware: joystick logitech 3d extrem pro (30€)

trackir4pro

happy flying...

With enough practice this can be done with keyboard as well, mixture of pedal control and roll, of course joystick is always the better option.

I don't think so, iirc that is one of the hard coded feature, which means it would be off limits.

Edited by NodUnit

If you want a flying experience... throw Arma 2 down and pick up DCS Blackshark... it will be the most realistic chopper you've ever flown.

I've given up with Arma 2... its "fun" to fly and thats where it ends and becomes frustration, flying an apache longbow without targetting radar simulated... whats the point seriously? End up getting blown away by a shilka / tungusta 1-2 clicks away because you can't see it.

//End Rant :p

If you want a flying experience... throw Arma 2 down and pick up DCS Blackshark... it will be the most realistic chopper you've ever flown.

I've given up with Arma 2... its "fun" to fly and thats where it ends and becomes frustration, flying an apache longbow without targetting radar simulated... whats the point seriously? End up getting blown away by a shilka / tungusta 1-2 clicks away because you can't see it.

//End Rant :p

In a similar environmtne with the same density of units your live in a DCS Multiplayer environment is even shorter. Its much harder to get any valid lock in DCS or even just spot a target and check it's side...no magic radar and a single MANPADS missile will bring you down for sure.