Sign in to follow this  
Apinarynnäkkö

All hope is lost! Or is it?

So...

I have now spent about 5 hours cursing at a video game. AI is the problem, and a big one. Campaign didnt seem to be in not much better shape than it was in basic ARMA2, so I just skiped it and started making my own missions.

I thought: Now that I have thermal optics, it could be possible to make a few somewhat realistic tank/IFV missions. "Poor mans" Steel Beasts, or something.

First problem was getting my bradley platoon to navigate from point A to point B. It was something very silly and frustrating to look at, but eventually managed to get them moving in a manner that doesnt cause brain cancer to player. Then I decided that I want to drive into ambush by a bunch of militiamen with RPGs. Took a while to find a good spot and place the ambushers in positions. Then it was time to chek how it goes. What will they do...

Well...

they did a whole lot of things. But besides running in circles and walking backwards and dying horribly from autocannon barrage very little

else happened. One of them actually DID shoot his rocket once. Just once. Didnt happen again on other restarts. No matter with or without "dotarget" "dofire". They just stand and stare while bradleys drive past. Or start running somewhere and then suddenly stop, walk a bit backwards and start running the opposite direction. Frustrating. Annoying. Headache.

Worth mentioning that I jumped from Resistance straight to A2 and OA. AI wasnt that smart in resistance either, but at least it understood to pull the trigger when enemies at 12 o clock, close.

But like I said. More or less 5 hours wrestling with the game and a few mods. Hope is fading.

mods I have tried:

- @ACE + all the extras - Fine job, but no help.

- @SLX - No help.

- Zeus AI Combat Skills for ACE mod - Bradley drivers evade imaginary obstacles less. Big relief on navigation, but no help on non violent hippie pacifist taliban.

Is there still some mod that could help me? Or is someone working on one? official brain surgery to AI coming some time soon?

ARMA2OA has the full potential of becoming a game that makes all other games useless. At least to me. If only someone can make it work someday. The single player / LAN coop with roommate side of the game. The AI.

Just some customer feedback. Dont take it too hard. I kinda knew what I was buying, but still had too high hopes and

dissapointment was bitter. I got angry, as in really angry at a video game. Not anymore. honeyroasted peanuts, dark beer and good music = better mood. No more arma for today.

Try GL4, UPS, UPSMON, DAC etc for improved AI.

Did you try the latest OA betas? 1.58 will have improvements for some of the issues you mention.

There's always the possibility left to script or tweak your own AI addon :)

Maybe try regular Zeus AI, not the ACE version.

Which version you got? Where did you download it? Zeus AI is still WIP.

Also try testings addons one by one, otherwise you won't be able to monitor the changes.

Edited by Lonestar

Sure, the AI members of our squads are brainless, but as the human squad leader it's our responsibility to make them perform better, look on it as an interesting test of your leadership skills..:)

PS- don't try to do too much too fast, create small missions for yourself in the editor (great way to learn) where you're leading just 4 men (machinegunner/bazooka/stinger/gren launcher) then go ambush an incoming enemy truck convoy you've just set up.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Well the AI is bad, but not that bad. Try running your map on a dedicated server, if your rig's got the capabilities

Hey, I heard there's a mod available called something like "Stance copy" which makes your AI squad do what you do, eg 'go prone, crouch, stand' etc, without you having to tell them, which sounds useful.

(PS- i'm going to hunt around for the mod, but if anybody can give me a link to it i'd appreciate it)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Hey, I heard there's a mod available called something like "Stance copy" which makes your AI squad do what you do, eg 'go prone, crouch, stand' etc, without you having to tell them, which sounds useful.

(PS- i'm going to hunt around for the mod, but if anybody can give me a link to it i'd appreciate it)

Copy My Stance Mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=91061

:)

BTW for the OP ... we have no info on rig, versions, patches, much at all really, just a rant about a mission (which, whos, what, where at what stage, what map, what units, what formation, what style of play, how ... ) that you hated and we now know you hated. there is a myriad of situation you can have where all goes to shit, but it depends on how it was done. Its so open you can definitely set up situations to open up some bad examples, I have seen a fair few. Do you have the mission to share?

Edited by mrcash2009

I've combined mainly the AI elements from SLX with ACE2 and found that to be absolutely awesome. The AI is now ferocious instead of cold, calculated, machine-like and slightly retarded.

cold, calculated, machine-like and slightly retarded.

I resemble that remark:mad:

Personally, I'd love to post this in the "Why isn't this game more popular?" thread, lol. So sad but so true...we feel your pain.

Edited by Rellikki

Yeah the AI is only a tiny bit better in arrowhead, but general still way too dumb.

I can remember that i played arma 2 more than a year ago with one type of AI mod which was quiete nice, but i cant remember the name.

It was not Zeus AI and it was not ACE. The AI with this mod did really support the team, did heal team mates (or even carried them out of the combat zone), they did throw also nades in combat effective, ...this was really awesome. I think i did also combine two AI mods....

Anyone can help me here maybe ?

It's worth remembering that bigger missions are not necessarily more enjoyable than smaller missions..:)

For example I'm hooked on the Armory, go select a weapon to play with, then accept a mission when it comes up, and it'll be just you--and you alone-- against the bad guys and you'll be pushed to the limit to survive, I only win about 1 in 3.

The Armory's 'Survive' and 'Defend' missions are the hardest, you need eyes in the back of your head and need to keep constantly scanning around 360 degrees, they come at you from random directions so fast that you can't drop your guard for an instant or you're toast.

PS- a guy in another thread said he never knew Armory missions existed and was delighted to be told, so in case anybody's reading this who hasn't discovered them yet, let me elaborate-

If you select a rifle in the Armory, you'll be placed at a random spot on the map and can shoot at trees or buildings etc, or just go exploring your surroundings; then after a minute or two you'll be offered a mission (Survive/Defend/Attack/Steal/Hunt etc) which you can accept or decline. If you decline, you'll be offered another one in a couple of minutes.

When you accept a mission, the game will send enemy units at you tailored to the Armory weapon you chose, eg if you chose a rifle, enemy infantry and softskin vehs will come after you.

If you chose an AT launcher, tanks and AFV's will come at you, and if you chose a SAM launcher, planes and helos will attack you.

The missions are damn hard to win, so you'll need every scrap of cunning to stay alive, making them great training tools.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Alright I think I did remember on at least one AI mod and I will test it myself later. The AI mod I talk about is called: SLX mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=84968&highlight=slx

I did read in another thread that you have something to delete so it can work with arrowhead, will find it out and post later....

Edited by oxmox

they also really stink as pedestrians , conquer a town and get the supply trucks running then just listen ! 3 is down......5 is down , those ai supply trucks just aim for my poor squadmates! any fixes for this behaviour?

ps thanks for the link to Copy My Stance Mod great!

The classic way of finding out just how good the ACE mod is, is starting up a mission like "laser show" or "hike in the hills" on vanilla, playing it through, and then playing it again through ACE.

I don't even use SLX (at least, not the AI) or Zeus AI, and the difference was absolutely stunning. On hike in the hills, the enemies stayed up in the mountains like they should, my squad's humvee actually FIRED (gasp) and got most of our kills, seeing as it was actually hanging back and covering our squad as we moved through the town, taking potshots at the enemies above.

Much better.

bummer: Vehicles are /much/ more careful of soldiers now -- I think its been improved in the latest betas -- but I rarely have a friendly incident iwth vehicles anymore.

In some cases they are /too/ careful !

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Oh - I use Zeus and GL4. If you set enemy precision to around .20-.30, and skill level to .90 or so, you get an enemy who is much better at maneuvering in groups, flanking and suppressing, and coordinated attacks/counterattacks and reinforced attacks.

One thing you probly want to do with GL4 is to tone down the distance at which they can call for reinforcments though.

Also, latest betas have excellent AI, who use cover very well, crouch behind walls, move from cover to cover and are generally difficult to catch in teh open. They have improved the AI greatly in the new betas.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

one last add -- the precision to .20 - .30 makes for an AI who doesnt always hit you with first shot -- it creates a reality and immersion factor which is pretty decent, along with GL4 (and ACE's) bullet impact effects, etc...

Incidentally i read in the Copy My Stance thread that it messes up Armory missions, and that it's not guaranteed to work with future game versions, so as much as i'd dearly like to have it i'm going to have to give it a miss..

Alright, I did download SLX mod and try it currently with the campaign. It works so far when you just delete "SLX_VehicleEffects".

Got no freezes in the first minutes, at least so far I did play, just did delete this single file. I play currently only with SLX and no other mod, if it works alright i will try to add a graphic and sound mod probably.

Its really cool, different than Zeus or ACE. Its best if you dont play this first in Veteran mode, start more easy with it. There are situations when you see the enemy is draggin away their wounded comrades. The team in general supports a lot more, not just with healing but also with nades. Try to heal your teammates aswell, otherwise they can bleed out.

So far iam impressed and AI acts more intelligent, its not perfect but quiete interesting and really a different playstyle in comparison to the other AI mods, sometimes a quiete intense firefight feeling and special effect when you get hit..it knocks you really out... You can also adjust the mod how you like it.

edit: holy shit, playing the second tank campaign mission ...AI reacts much better in comparison to Zeus AI...love it..try SLX for sure you wont regret it ! No freezes so far...the AI tanks use even smoke for defence when it is really needed...

This is a new game with it, really exciting haha

Edited by oxmox

Try placing them into good cover, and then putting this to their init:

this disableAi "move";

Now they stay in that position. And the bradleys move in "limited" speed when in killzone, so the AI will see them and get time to react properly.

Instead of comparing mods saying this is better, then this blah, blah why dont we just appreciate what we

have availiable to us and then choose what we like based on our gameplay style.

Some mods do more then others, but all the mods in the community are good, its all in what you want to do in your

game lets keep the competitive thinking and the comparisons out of it and be thankful that we have a good community

of modders whom give their time and personal expertise to the game.

There is no competition here.

So...

I have now spent about 5 hours cursing at a video game. AI is the problem, and a big one. Campaign didnt seem to be in not much better shape than it was in basic ARMA2, so I just skiped it and started making my own missions.

I thought: Now that I have thermal optics, it could be possible to make a few somewhat realistic tank/IFV missions. "Poor mans" Steel Beasts, or something.

First problem was getting my bradley platoon to navigate from point A to point B. It was something very silly and frustrating to look at, but eventually managed to get them moving in a manner that doesnt cause brain cancer to player. Then I decided that I want to drive into ambush by a bunch of militiamen with RPGs. Took a while to find a good spot and place the ambushers in positions. Then it was time to chek how it goes. What will they do...

Well...

they did a whole lot of things. But besides running in circles and walking backwards and dying horribly from autocannon barrage very little

else happened. One of them actually DID shoot his rocket once. Just once. Didnt happen again on other restarts. No matter with or without "dotarget" "dofire". They just stand and stare while bradleys drive past. Or start running somewhere and then suddenly stop, walk a bit backwards and start running the opposite direction. Frustrating. Annoying. Headache.

Worth mentioning that I jumped from Resistance straight to A2 and OA. AI wasnt that smart in resistance either, but at least it understood to pull the trigger when enemies at 12 o clock, close.

But like I said. More or less 5 hours wrestling with the game and a few mods. Hope is fading.

mods I have tried:

- @ACE + all the extras - Fine job, but no help.

- @SLX - No help.

- Zeus AI Combat Skills for ACE mod - Bradley drivers evade imaginary obstacles less. Big relief on navigation, but no help on non violent hippie pacifist taliban.

Is there still some mod that could help me? Or is someone working on one? official brain surgery to AI coming some time soon?

ARMA2OA has the full potential of becoming a game that makes all other games useless. At least to me. If only someone can make it work someday. The single player / LAN coop with roommate side of the game. The AI.

Just some customer feedback. Dont take it too hard. I kinda knew what I was buying, but still had too high hopes and

dissapointment was bitter. I got angry, as in really angry at a video game. Not anymore. honeyroasted peanuts, dark beer and good music = better mood. No more arma for today.

hey guy, I just wanna to know when you start playing A2CO?

You should know that this is a military simulation, not call of duty or battlefield!

Do you think you'll carry a RPG launcher rushing out from your hiding position, firing at the Bardley platoon 300 or 500m away who moves very fast if you're the taliban? Do you think you can be the hero in a real combat? And you should always bear it in your mind that you're the taliban, not US soldier whose nation is rich and can provide them countless ammunition!

A2CO is the simulation designed for players, not for recreational use unless you knows scripting and can make such kinda of gameplay EA made. lol.

Hi, the GL4 makes the AI be much better as a whole and adds another good things, here it's:

- Group Link 4 Special FX Edition.

I don't know if it works for the OA/CO, but it does work for the ArmA2 and makes it much better; but you've to keep something in mind... at least on the ArmA2, you still see AIs at 5m from you not aware that you've parked your HMMWV behind 'em and you have time to kill up to 5 out of 12 NME AIs before they gun you down, AI with the skill level set at the 50%, this always talking about the vanilla's AI, with the GL4 it changes for good, but i don't know if it works in MP.

For what i remember of the OA/CO... the vanilla's AI was as dumb (maybe more) as the vanilla's ArmA2 AI. Let's C ya

I think the AI in latest Beta with no mods is very good.

They hide behind trees and other obstacles and lean around to shoot.

Remember that if you play SP then your CPU has to be able to handle the calculations for all the AI to work properly.

Edited by EDcase

Remember that if you play SP then your CPU has to be able to handle the calculations for all the AI to work properly.

Right, try to run it on a dedicated server...