Sign in to follow this  
peans

fixed f-15/iran f-14

delete me

Edited by peans

So this fixes the missing textures on the F15 and F14s, as well as the horrid screaching sound in the f15 when you pass mach 1?

I'm just a little confused about what this fixes. :)

there was a bit of balancing between both aircraft something about the sounds. I already sent the link to noorm but he is out of town . he will comment if he can when he is around.

There is a fix for the F14 GBU Cam and also a fix for the ever increasing afterburner strenght. Afterburner has also been linked to the TAB key like the other planes. I didn't fixed textures or sounds, only functionality problems.

I posted it in the F14 forum ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=95573&page=13 ) for ONE day and removed it due to possible "Ask the original author" problems. This is an internal release for 7Cav only.

Uhh... did you get permission from southy/ikar? It would have been better to send the fix to southy(eble ) and then have him include them in an update.

Uhh... did you get permission from southy/ikar? It would have been better to send the fix to southy(eble ) and then have him include them in an update.

they haven't updated the things in 2 years...

if they see this they can do whatever they want with it. This is not to reclaim the work of someone else. Just giving back to the community what came from the community ...

contact has been made with someone maintaining the aircraft he will take it from here ...

Edited by peans

One thing people just don't seem to understand is that you can't "give back to the community" something you didn't create. Just send a PM to the author next time.

@Darkhorse 1-6

although in general i agree with you, in this particular case i think Eble already gave general permission:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1794864&postcount=133

I also think at this point it doesn't need Ikar's permission as Eble surely had permission (and also possible restrictions linked to it) and if Ikar would have permitted any further goin development beyond Eble's work, Eble surely would have stated this.

I have myself a similar case where i received some MLOD's for my missilebox and i was clearly told that i'm allowed to give them away if i want without the need of additional permission, as long credits are given properly.

I see in this case here that he clearly links all credits to the original author/porter (Ikar/Eble) and only take credits for what he done himself.

Just giving back to the community what came from the community ...

How can you "give" something that was never yours .....

Darkhorse,don't take it serious, after all Peans is warm-hearted, we should thank him.

Oh course everyone has good intentions (in their eyes! ), but just taking and modifying some ones work is no different from me wandering into your house, deleting everything on your Windows Desktop, changing the screensaver, cleaning out MyDocuments and saying "hope its ok, me and my friends just plan to use your computer for a few days"!!

This community survives because there are written rules / guidelines about abuse of other peoples hard work.

Ignoring these is just being an ignoramus.

As said a 100 times, everywhere

ASK FIRST!

Edit:

From Myke's comment, if permission were there and that was known, then there was limited issues, in this case anyway.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

GNAT calm down ............. he didn't say it was his work he didn't say he made it , he only fixed a little problem and gave credits to the creators, no need to attack the guy (and others for stating their opninion)

ikar gave permission to southy to use it and eble / southy gave permission in one of his threads to fix or upgrade because he was out of time so that clearly solves that problem doesn't it ?

dont get me wrong i am no modder but a user and getting a bit tired about all the flame wars going around for little fixes of sometimes broken files and please leave an attack up to the creator of a mod and not by people not having anything to do with the mod

so i had to get this of my chest now back to topic !!!!

good job on the fix , i wish you could do the same with the F4 Phantom as that file is also screwed up by the iran mod (missing textures) (as was the F14)

Edited by supergruntsb78

I back Gnat on this.

This is the very reason RKSL and several other mods are pulling up roots and considering going underground.

It would not have taken much to have a little professional courtesy and simply ask.

GNAT calm down ............. he didn't say it was his work he didn't say he made it , he only fixed a little problem and gave credits to the creators, no need to attack the guy (and others for stating their opninion)

dont get me wrong i am no modder but a user and getting a bit tired about all the flame wars going around for little fixes of sometimes broken files and please leave an attack up to the creator of a mod and not by people not having anything to do with the mod

so i had to get this of my chest now back to topic !!!!

precisely why i am considering never releasing anything again. people who take, use, modify, and redistribute without permissions have chased away alot of modders form this community. I hope you guys realize what you are doing.

Edited by wld427

I back Gnat on this.

This is the very reason RKSL and several other mods are pulling up roots and considering going underground.

It would not have taken much to have a little professional courtesy and simply ask.

precisely why i am considering never releasing anything again. people who take, use, modify, and redistribute without permissions have chased away alot of modders form this community. I hope you guys realize what you are doing.

Hi Guys,

I've got no problems with any updates that further improve or in this case actually fix the many problems these addons have.

Due to work commitments I'm not able to spend anything like the time required maintaining/updating and finishing the addons I originally converted for Arma1.

The only thing I would suggest is we maintain an absolute base version and build from that with any changes.

Last thing we all need is 10 versions of the same addon with different features.

Southy (Eble)

I think the permission issue is not really a issue in this case. So although you have a valid point that get's often disrespected, in this particular case i don't see a problem so far.

@[APS]Gnat & wld427

i'm full backing what you're saying in general but in this case IMHO everything seems to be done right.

Perhaps these addons are meant to be under such licenses:

CC BY-NC: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

or CC BY-NC-SA: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

wld427 guess most of them simply dont have enough spare time + motivation anymore and they changed their priorities eg job, wifey, kids and other/new hobbies. It doesn't make sense to work hard for just a few people in the "underground". Dont let a few people rule over a whole community! ;)

I think as Myke already said,

Myke;1851413']

although in general i agree with you' date=' in this particular case i think Eble already gave general permission:

[url']http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1794864&postcount=133[/url]

South gave people permission, so there's no reason to jump the guy for releasing a fix. Now if he didn't have permission, go ahead and get mad, but I'm pretty sure he's been greenlighted by the content of that post.

@Gnat,

I'm afraid your metaphor is quite wrong. Peans didn't stolen other's stuff, he just help tweaking bugs. Thus whole cummunity can share better things. In fact, most mod creators are using or tweaking BIS's stuff, BIS didn't say "no, you shouldn't do that".

@wld427

You can't attribute lots of modders leaving to "redistribute without permissions". Every community has its coming and leaving members, it happens everyday, just like travellers in a train station. Life is the reason.

By the way, if you are considering never releasing anything again, then you should consider stopping posting your WIP, don't tantalize us. Just lock your great work in your HDD, or have fun with your own private friends.

Every one needs to relax. First off the original poster should of let it be known that it was OK to mod/fix the addon. Everyone else were just worried about the original maker's rights not being violated. A simple PM could of taken care of this on their part.

Posters should be more careful about the words they use in the forums. "Steel", "robed" are just a few examples. They are very damaging with out meaning to be.

@Gnat,

I'm afraid your metaphor is quite wrong. Peans didn't stolen other's stuff, he just help tweaking bugs. Thus whole cummunity can share better things. In fact, most mod creators are using or tweaking BIS's stuff, BIS didn't say "no, you shouldn't do that".

@wld427

You can't attribute lots of modders leaving to "redistribute without permissions". Every community has its coming and leaving members, it happens everyday, just like travellers in a train station. Life is the reason.

By the way, if you are considering never releasing anything again, then you should consider stopping posting your WIP, don't tantalize us. Just lock your great work in your HDD, or have fun with your own private friends.

sounds like a great idea thanks to the likes of you.

You can't attribute lots of modders leaving to "redistribute without permissions".

I can.

I know of around 3 addon makers/studios that have, or are considering going underground because of the stance that an alarming number of community members are taking on permissions and IP rights... Just take a look at my friends, and you can probably guess who.

Every community has its coming and leaving members, it happens everyday, just like travellers in a train station. Life is the reason.

Not really. We're talking about community members starting their own community with people they trust so they can continue to release addons without fear of being screwed over, not members leaving all together.

Another problem with this statement is I see many talented people leaving, but very few coming in to take their place. It's not very likely that the community is still growing this far after release. Quite honestly it really seems like this community has been taking it's addon makers for granted lately, and if the community isn't growing, we should really try to hold on to what we've got.

I've been noticing a huge amount of disrespect against addon makers by newer community members lately... Project RACS, RKSL, ANZAC, and even this thread have all had it recently. It's not always bad stuff (like the typical, "when is release?" or, "why is it taking so long"), but lately there's also been stuff like, "this is garbage," "if x addon is any indication of y, then it's going to suck," and who could forget, "You guys are douche bag's and nazi's" (yes, someone actually posted that in the PRACS thread.) Some addon makers even get death threats over this stuff... I'm surprised there's people out there that continue to make slave over free addons for you.

That sounds like a pretty good idea... We'll be sure to mention that you killed the mod. :)

[/Rant]

Anyways, back on topic.

Southy may have given permission, but is it wise to assume the original authors gave him permission to do such a thing? Perhaps he was giving permission under the assumption that those who edit his version after him had gotten permission from the original authors as well.;)

Its nice to see an fix for the addons that where left in the dust, no wrong doing as he did not say its his or so on... This is not an one side thing where if your an addon maker you rule the forums in what is said and how its done about other peoples addons as in most case you dont got all the facts about that addon. Most of the people who are in the community know about the rules and go about it in an right way as in this case. In most times iv seen the same people comment the same ways when there is an fix or an uptodate addon, saying you should not do that till the maker gets intouch. In more ways its the people that would like to work on the addon to make it better or to bring it into ArmA 2/OA that are getting push out because of the same people that come on the topics and tell them its stealing the makers work, its the same people time and time again with this.

@wld427

Your mod and work is very well respected and you know this, but holding it to where you can boss people around on this issue is not right. In your words your going to blame Lao Fei Mao for not releasing your mod, come on now. All who do there goods and nice work for the making of addons do it for fun and for the community not to have the power to say you cant do that cause im an mod maker. All im realy saying is in more ways your pushing the people who would like to help out on addons and fix them up out of the community more then anything. [GLT]Myke, Lao Fei Mao, PROTOTYPE 001, gots to agree with them im sure you can see this. Keep your good work up on your mod.

I have updated and fixed lots of addons from OFP and Arma1 but have not released anything due to lack of permissions. I follow the forum rules about asking and try every single email I find and visit other forums to send messages. For most I have yet to get a response and the rules say if you have tried every available resource and have no such luck you can release it. For me that is not good enough due to all finger pointers that have of lately joined these forums. Once you get tagged as an "addon thief" it never goes away.

The point is this community is not the same as it was back in OFP days and looks like it never will be again unless all the "new guys" clean up their act and start supporting the addon makers instead of bashing them. They need to look at the past and see all the cool and weird stuff that was made and used even if they were not the most eye caching or had the best features.

@wld427

Your mod and work is very well respected and you know this, but holding it to where you can boss people around on this issue is not right. In your words your going to blame Lao Fei Mao for not releasing your mod, come on now.

He's not bossing anyone around. It's his mod, and he can do what he damn well pleases with it. To me he was simply expressing his disdain for the lack of respect that seems to be becoming more frequent in the community as of late. How much effort would it have taken to have simply sent a pm or two from the begging? Even though southy may have said it was ok to edit his work in a forum post, a simple pm to notify him about plans to edit his work would have been the respectful thing to do. Not only that, but what if it's not ok with the original authors to do this? Southy said it was ok to edit his work, but you must remember, just because he updated it to ArmA II doesn't mean it's entirely his own work... ;)

All who do there goods and nice work for the making of addons do it for fun and for the community not to have the power to say you cant do that cause im an mod maker. All im realy saying is in more ways your pushing the people who would like to help out on addons and fix them up out of the community more then anything.

As selfish as it may sound, most addon makers usually make addons for themselves or their friends. They usually release addons to the community out of the goodness of their heart, and because there's really no reason not to. However, if the community wont respect their work and instead attacks them, why even bother? Certainly there are those who release addons for power and/or popularity, but they're usually the ones who release addons "for the community..."

Older addon makers have the respect and courtesy to release their addons to you, so why don't a large portion of the community (seemingly) have the common courtesy to ask for permission, and not insult/attack addon makers? It's this massive lack of respect that's driving many addon makers away, and it really makes me wonder why anything gets released publicly at all...

Anyways, it's nice to see people haven't forgotten about these old birds... I just hope all is well permissions wise. :cool:

@Ballistic09

Addon makers been around in this community for an long time and yes some have left as somebody has said befor, but this and in most case with somebody trying to fix or bring back an addon that has not been worked on is not disrespect at all. All that have made an fix or helping out on an old addon has tryed to get in contact with the maker, i could see if some one has stolen the addon to make there on is in the wrong, but dont push off or scare off somebody who respects the work and gives all credit to the maker and took all precaution to do so with an old addon.

Like you have said premission for addons are key but also the respect in the way it goes is key too. For your saying in the addon makers being selfish and making them just for there self in some cases, i find that a little off hand. This is an community and all addons that are brought up or release is on there part for us to enjoy or for them to just show some WIP but from what iv seen most that post up addons are for the community enjoyment.