Sign in to follow this  
nkenny

The hills are alive with the sound of music

Music in BIS games

These threads tend to crop up periodically, but there hasn't been one for some time. Lets also add that the PMC campaign got less than stellar feedback and ARMA2 tends to crop up seemingly endless complain threads. Therefore on a more positive note.

Recently when editing and testing missions I have been adding the jukebox module just to have something to listen to. I must say that the background music of ARMA2 (and all DLCs) has all in all been FANTASTIC.

The music is not only thematically strong and very mood setting but varied and of great quality. In fact the music of BIS games is one of their stronger points! Great job BIS. :)

-k

Yep definately a high point for me at times, i think we are all still taken with the original Ofp music in the first few missions, can't remember the name of them but BIS has seemed to have carried it on since, tis good stuff.

Bootleg

I agree, the music is fantastic. My particular favourite is called Arrival. Sure there's overtones of the original Flashpoint theme in there.

Warmongers and Mountain Chant are also amongst my favourites.

Always happy to step away from the combat when they play, just so I can listen to them uninterrupted.

What was the name of that band that played a few tracks that were in OFP?

I don't quite remember, but I used to have their stuff on my hard drive. Terrible but great.

Edit: Ah, Seventh! Right?

Yeah. 7th.

As for other music, I didn't really pay too much attention to the usual music, but it seems of high quality from what I can remember.

Edited by Kirby

I have music disabled in all games I play (even though I only play ArmA), more realistic

Is the music available for download somewhere?

I looked in the game folders but couldn't find it. Is it packed into a pbo or something?

Yeah it's in the pbo called "music" for A2 and "music_e" for OA ;)

I love most the tracks, they can really help set the mood for missions.

OA music is great, and it seems to pop up with a lot more regularity.

the old crappy tunes from ofp were fine as it is. focus on the game itself. thanks.

in combat, where does the music come from anyway?

in combat, where does the music come from anyway?

Loudspeakers ;-)

Something prevented me to like the Arma 1 soundtrack... But all following releases were one better than the other, so Ondrej did a fantastic job so far! Looking forward to next releases! :) Great music!

The soundtrack of OFP also is still one of the best in my opinion. But this might just be related with the feelings that rise when I hear the tracks - the quality is rather low compared with the other games.

But it's a fact for me that everything that goes in OFP's direction is good! :) And its music has a special touch which I never heard before (talking about the orchestral tracks - Seventh is awesome anyway (despite being low quality)).

I have all the ArmA2 and OFP music in my playlist. I thought i had all the ArmA1 music as well but apparently lost it during HD transitions, only 2 songs left wich came with a bonus mission or patch or something.

Also have some things of 7th, mostly for nostalgic purposes though. :p

signed, love the music. i wish there would be the same for arrowhead!:) id even pay for it!

l5y7nusu21e.jpg

OPF still carries my favorite soundtrack.. it just suited the game so well. Excitement, desperation, drama.. it really set the mood. OA's is good.. but not great.

@Coffeecat:

Save your money and upgrade your camera instead, or a flash. :p

As a musician (sorta, kinda, long time since last :p) myself, you'd think I turn up the music in games. But I turn them almost completely off (just a mere hint of it). For me it kills the immersion, and I'd rather have excellence in sounds rather than music. I use music myself in missions, but it's only because it's supposed to be there.

I will not rest until Ondrej makes a GODDAMN REMAKE OF SLOW BLADES.

This, and a GODDAMN REMAKE OF WALK.

That is all. :p

OPF still carries my favorite soundtrack.. it just suited the game so well. Excitement, desperation, drama.. it really set the mood. OA's is good.. but not great.

Operation Arrowhead's and ArmA 2's soundtracks, while not as good as Operation Flashpoint's, were certainly an improvement over ArmA 1's soundtrack. *shudders*

As a musician myself, you'd think I turn up the music in games. But I turn them almost completely off. For me it kills the immersion, and I'd rather have excellence in sounds rather than music. I use music myself in missions, but it's only because it's supposed to be there.

In most games, I leave the music at half of the full volume. Just enough to be heard, but not enough to drown out the other sound effects. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

@Coffeecat:

Save your money and upgrade your camera instead, or a flash. :p

As a musician (sorta, kinda, long time since last :p) myself, you'd think I turn up the music in games. But I turn them almost completely off (just a mere hint of it). For me it kills the immersion, and I'd rather have excellence in sounds rather than music. I use music myself in missions, but it's only because it's supposed to be there.

lol yea thats my crappy nokiacam. who needs cameraupgrades if you can buy BIS upgrades:D

My only quibble with it is I wish they would use proper Orchestrations and not Synthed stuff as much. Although, I guess that would be a rather expensive operation for very little gain.