Sign in to follow this  
cashxx

Steam sucks want physical copy

I posted here a week or so ago about wanting physical media for the new Arma updates BAF and PMC and was told to go and download them at steam. Steam sucked the last time I used it and still sucks today.

Why can't I buy the physical media? I don't like the digital downloads!

I just tried to download the updates on steam and says:

Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.

I have the U.S. copy of Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA. Do I have to buy everything again off of steam? Not going to happen!

I added the games to my steam library and still no luck in purchasing the updates.

Could have had the physical media and installed by this time!

Download them at Sprocket. Easier to work with and more money to the developers.

There is no physical product for BAF or PMC, nor do you need to get them from Steam (and shouldn't since you have the DVD installs of A2/OA).

If you want them simply buy them from Sprocket Idea via PayPal/CC/whatever. You can pay in US dollars.

Isn't sprocket the same crap as steam? I can't believe I am the only idiot who wants the physical media.

Isn't sprocket the same crap as steam? I can't believe I am the only idiot who wants the physical media.

You're not the only one who would like a disk to look at, but you can wish in one hand and shit in the other and tell me what fills up quicker... ;)

Sprocket is far less complicated than Steam in my opinion.

No sprocket is nothing like steam! Sprocket is just a company selling the digital media for download you DO NOT have to login to sprocket to play the games after you purchase them. Once you have purchased the title you are free put the install file(s) onto a disc keeping it for backup much like a store bought disk.

Ok guys....thanks for the info! I went with sprocket and have them downloading. I hate steam and won't use it again. Just have to figure out how to back these up now. Guessing they are in Program Files somewhere. Thanks again!

Ok guys....thanks for the info! I went with sprocket and have them downloading. I hate steam and won't use it again. Just have to figure out how to back these up now. Guessing they are in Program Files somewhere. Thanks again!

in your 'My Documents/Sprocket' folder

Get the game at Sprocket, it's BIS' store. Plus they have a simple download, that's what I used too. I wouldn't ever consider buying from Steam.

BAF and PMC = DownLoadable Content = No physical media.

I don't know how many times we discussed that in the past. Why is that so hard to understand? :confused:

No one is forcing you to use Steam, use Sprocket instead.

Edited by W0lle

I though it was Down Your Local Shopping Center?

Steam = all updates/installs are tied into its own little world no matter what .. sprocket = give me the file and key ... here you go here's you file and key ... run it, it does a quick check ... thanks ... you have this for whenever you like, tied to no system, goodbye sir. Sprocket is like amazon you order it, you get it, you use as you wish. Only difference is the data isnt burned to a CDR and sent in the post :)

Edited by mrcash2009

I thought it was Delete Local Content. Which I wish some of these people would do when they bitch about not having a physical copy.

I just tried to download the updates on steam and says: Your transaction failed because you are trying to buy a game that requires ownership of another game you do not currently own. Please correct the error and try again.

I have the U.S. copy of Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA. Do I have to buy everything again off of steam? Not going to happen!

You've already been pointed to Sprocket, but just for anyone else:

To use DLC purchased on Steam, you MUST have the STEAM version of the original game. It says this very clearly on the store page for the DLC. I am unaware of any exceptions to this rule.

Steam has been great for me for every game I have bought with the exception of ARMA2/OA. Even though I bought both from Steam, i eventually went an bought hardcopies due to some of the difficulty with the Steam version. I've only bought one of the DLC's and that was through Sprocket.

I'll continue to use Steam for 99% of my gaming though as it works just fine for everything else.

Steam has been great for me for every game I have bought with the exception of ARMA2/OA. Even though I bought both from Steam, i eventually went an bought hardcopies due to some of the difficulty with the Steam version. I've only bought one of the DLC's and that was through Sprocket.

I'll continue to use Steam for 99% of my gaming though as it works just fine for everything else.

I also use Steam for several games (Civ 5, MoW series, CoH series, etc) and I really have no issues with it either. Of course I prefer my BIS products through Sprocket though, or in store when possible.

There are certain games I'd never run via steam and ArmA 2 is one of them. I have a few friends with steam copies and they are apparently having troubles getting Combined Operations working.

Then again I did tell them before they bought it to go with Sprocket, but they didn't listen so I guess they deserve the trouble

There are certain games I'd never run via steam and ArmA 2 is one of them. I have a few friends with steam copies and they are apparently having troubles getting Combined Operations working.

Weird. The option is in the launch menu for OA. I wonder what their problems are.

remember that for A2: CO mode on STEAM you must

1. exit STEAM

2. start STEAMclient via 'run as administrator'

3. run ONCE game ARMA 2 (to get paths saved into registry)

then

4. run A2: Combined Operations

I did not do it like you said Dwarden, and I have never had any problem.

1. Buy arma and armaOA

2. Click play on Operation Arrowhead, choose the option play CO.

Maybe I started arma one time before I started using CO, not sure.

Mods and addons works fine, I dont use a launcher, just the old target line way in the set launch options.

Edited by zigzag

remember that for A2: CO mode on STEAM you must

1. exit STEAM

2. start STEAMclient via 'run as administrator'

3. run ONCE game ARMA 2 (to get paths saved into registry)

then

4. run A2: Combined Operations

I have ARMA2 on steam, and OA retail. Had no trouble whatsoever with it exept that updates are slow on steam. I just installed OA, it found ARMA2 in my steam directory and asked if I wanted to combine them.

I have DLCs bought from impulse, and they work as they should. In total, I've bought my games from three different systems, and it all works fine.

+1000000

You are not alone, an idiot here.

I don´t want to bother anybody, it is only my opinion. Please, don´t be very hard with me.

I am 39 years old, and I have played to all the games of BIS, EVEN some of the team before creating BIS, (Shadow Company).

I have all the manuals, and complements of all his games ... in physical copy.

But I will not buy via DLC.

Even, my 4-year-old son has grown on my knees, seeing since I was playing from the OFP till now.

Don't alarm, only play in the Editor with him, without blood or violence. He loves bikes, planes and Helicopters...

Please, in a future perhaps consider a compilation pack of all the DLC, in physical copy. I would pay what was for it.

I pray for it... I will waiting for that.

Thank you BIS, for many and many hours of good moments in all these nine years.

Best regards to all forum.

P.D.

I wanted to express my opinion, which long ago I wanted to write in this forum. I don´t want to create any polemic, or reactivated.

And, please forgive my worst English.

^ Your english isnt bad at all, compared to mine its excellent. :D

Anyways, I understand they not putting DLCs on DVD/CD. It'd just add extra costs and trouble for them. If you want it on DVD, buy it from sprocket and burn the installer on DVD. Problem, steam users? :D

For probably the 598,476,332,000th time, the purpose of DownLoadable Content, otherwise known as DLC, is for it not to be physical, but digital and therefore downloadable. It is entirely unknown at this time whether or not BIS will ever release the DLC packs in any form of a physical copy in the future.

If you demand a hard copy of your product, buy the DLC, burn it to a DVD, print off the digital manual, find a spare DVD case, print off a copy of the front and back covers onto high quality glossy paper and stick it in the DVD case, print off a copy of the DVD cover and stick it to the top of the DVD, and there you have it: a hard copy of the DLC. That should serve you just fine if you do not wish to wait for a future official DLC hard copy that may never come out.