Sign in to follow this  
walker

Wikileaks diplomatic files.

Wow. No hole in that argument whatsoever... :rolleyes:

I'm sure everybody will think that every assassination will now be a result of wiki leaks.

He was a political advisor to the Prime Minister. I don't think he was or is a politician himself.

...I also agree that there are plenty of things (in the FIRST release) that should have been made public by the government, and while the theft was still wrong they wouldn't have done much damage. Assange should have released them after they had been sanitized of the names of contacts, etc. that could (and did) have gotten people killed.

Hi Darkhorse

I think it would be useful to this thread if you could post the link to these people that the Afghan leaks got killed.

I had a hunt through the links on the Afghan leaks as did all the Media and the US and other nations security services. This is the page of the thread where I pointed out the three known incidents where some one was perhaps identifiable in all 90,000 released documents.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1705726&highlight=walker#post1705726

As I point out:

The first was a report where the media including stars and stripes had already done reports on the village where they had reported an Ammo Cache to US forces, including identifying the village by name as well as naming and filming those involved.

In the second the name of informant is given by naming a supposed relative of the informant. Knowing the size of families in this region and the fact that people are described as brother or even father of people with zero blood or marriage relation to the person. I question its value as an identifying factor but it is the closest of the three identified cases to identifying an informant, who might be put at risk. I have not checked the media from that time but if any one wants to, I am sure a suitable Boolean search could be designed. I may look later.
In the third identified case it is a Taliban who is identified who has told his fellow Taliban what he is doing and then names two Taliban commanders, Khalid Sheik Mohamed is in jail has given up far more useful intelligence than him and his Intel and name are spread all over the media.

On any of the occasions where I have had information with a national security implication; within minutes of finding it I have reported it and I always will.

If you know of any national seccurity information then Hillary Clinton would appreciate if you told the DHS; as she has the whole power of the Federal Government, CIA, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, etc. out looking for this very evidence you have found!

Here is the place to report your finding:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/reportincidents/cybersecurity.shtm

I should of course point out that failing to report information of a National Security Implication that you have in your possession is of course the act of a traitor.

Of course if you have no such information...

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Trading essential freedoms for figurative safety already?

I up the ante by saying that the rest of the World wants to see those responsible for the wars of this decade from both US administrations tried and hanged where applicable Nuremberg-style, since Americans can't seem to care enough to inform themselves on the matters of World affairs.

A most excellent example if you think a whole nation can not be held responsible for any War Crimes committed by their leaders:

Liberty dies to thunderous applause. :clap:

Hi all

The USA is currently looking to freeze all assets of Wikileaks, and has forced shut down of the Wikileaks Paypal Donations account in Germany.

WikiLeaks donations account cut off

(UKPA) – 52 minutes ago

Pressure is mounting on WikiLeaks after the online payment agency PayPal cut off the account it uses to gather donations from supporters.

The move, which will hit the whistleblowing website's ability to fund itself, comes after two American internet providers withdrew services from WikiLeaks in the wake of its publication of confidential US Government papers.

Meanwhile, the site's founder Julian Assange remains under threat of extradition from the UK for questioning over sex allegations in Sweden...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iXoLP_o_wOcX_8RQzG8DLgv3Rs7A?docId=N0438801291483177299A

As Always follow the link to the original article in full

For the first time in my memory the shadowy forces that control the western world are clearly visible, to some extent in the cables but far more importantly in the actions that they are employing to gag the source. The actions currently taking place seem more akin to something I would expect in Teheran or Bejing.

"Good Night and Good Luck"

Edward R. Murrow

Liberty dies to thunderous applause. :clap:

This video is not available...btw: I get this message for every second video link on youtube more and more often

So if anyone sees something about Croatia be sure to inform me. I´m asking because our Ploticians are maybe the most corrupted pieces of S*** on this Planet. Not a single Day without a new affair since the police Finally has started to work on this. And what is worse: The Americans have a huge influence on our Politics. If the American Government says Jump, our Politicians only ask how high. One Example: Th Americans had the brilloiant Idea that they don´t want to transport their dirty equipment from Irak/Afghanistan to America. They had the even more brilliant Idea to wash it first. They planned to do that in Croatia, in the harbour of Split. Croatia is famous for its very clean Seawater and they wantesd to polute it with dust from the middle East, some nasty chemicals and of course Uran. American tanks for example sometimes use munition enchanced with uranium. This shit would then go right into our harbour and into our sea.....

But without people like him or his company, or concepts like investigative journalism, you would never know. Would you be better off not knowing? No. I think what they do is very good to expose the corruption and lobbyism that goes on around the world. We are so judgmental on the open corruption that goes on in third world countries we get totally blinded on what goes on in our own neighborhood. Time for an eye opener!

To me he's nothing more than a middleman, giving this information to the newspapers. It's not them that obtains this information. There is always some soul on the inside with a a shred of honor that determines that what he knows needs to get out there. National secrets are one thing. Something completely different is hiding everything behind it. Investigative journalism has been around for ages, with the same goal; exposure.

So far what I've seen from these documents, are information that should have been out in the open from day one. They are classified as secret (includes confidential but not top secret and above) documents, meaning there is a whole lot of people having access to them. They don't really contain any true classified information, they only confirm what basically everybody knows already - how utterly corrupted the society really has become.

No, we need guys like him who have the guts to stand up to the corrupted governments.

I keep wondering who is really behind the DDOS attacks on their sites; governments or hackers? At least one of the romanticized views of the hacker is the need to expose. Hence I find it really weird, especially given Julian Assange's background as one, that he would become a target of the same kind.

Gives rise to the question; does governments control larger bot-nets than illegal hackers?

This video is not available...btw: I get this message for every second video link on youtube more and more often

Good reason you can't view this in Germany, you wouldn't want to see it anyway.

Post war racism at it's best.

But without people like him or his company, or concepts like investigative journalism, you would never know. Would you be better off not knowing? No. I think what they do is very good to expose the corruption and lobbyism that goes on around the world. We are so judgmental on the open corruption that goes on in third world countries we get totally blinded on what goes on in our own neighborhood. Time for an eye opener!

To me he's nothing more than a middleman, giving this information to the newspapers. It's not them that obtains this information. There is always some soul on the inside with a a shred of honor that determines that what he knows needs to get out there. National secrets are one thing. Something completely different is hiding everything behind it. Investigative journalism has been around for ages, with the same goal; exposure.

So far what I've seen from these documents, are information that should have been out in the open from day one. They are classified as secret (includes confidential but not top secret and above) documents, meaning there is a whole lot of people having access to them. They don't really contain any true classified information, they only confirm what basically everybody knows already - how utterly corrupted the society really has become.

No, we need guys like him who have the guts to stand up to the corrupted governments.

I keep wondering who is really behind the DDOS attacks on their sites; governments or hackers? At least one of the romanticized views of the hacker is the need to expose. Hence I find it really weird, especially given Julian Assange's background as one, that he would become a target of the same kind.

Gives rise to the question; does governments control larger bot-nets than illegal hackers?

I agree that investigative journalism is what keeps governments honest (to a point) but at the same time you do have to factor in how many lives could potentially be put into danger needlessly because some reporter, whistle blower, or attention seeker wants to get their name in every paper in the world and become famous at the expense of the lives of other people. 99% of these people have never held a rifle or have been in combat so they don't understand how dangerous it is for the grunt or SF operator on the ground.

If I was a special forces operator I wouldn't want the people I'm fighting to have even a slight advantage over me and if I was the head of a state I wouldn't want my diplomats not to feel free to voice their opinions and assessments of the country they're currently working with through private channels for fear of starting at best an international incident and at worst start a war or escalating local conflict into a regional one. Keep in mind wars have been started over a lot less than candid remarks.

Wikileaks put NATO troops in even more danger than they already are and for no good reason with the Iraq and Afghan files. They also needlessly put the US and NATO in a bind diplomatically with this newest release. They could have waited 10-15 years longer and then air the story, but they wanted to do while it was hot so they get fame.

Investigative journalists have a ethical and moral obligation to weigh the consequences of their stories before they air or print them and to ask themselves two questions "what good will come out of this?" and "Is that good worth putting lives at risk?"

The general public doesn't need to know everything and they're probably better off not knowing everything.

Edited by Big Mac

LEGAL WARNING!

If you are a Federal US Employee or Contractor without the proper clearance AND need it is Illegal for you to read this thread! Or to follow any of the links within it, including those on news websites relating to this thread, or the subject of this thread. Continuing to read any post in this thread may open you to criminal prosecution.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/12/wikileaks_off-limits_to_unauth.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/05/federal_employees_barred_from_reading_wikileaks_docs/

Those currently involved in VBS2 should take note. You have been formally warned!

Editing your posts in this thread may also be considered concealment of a crime.

Memo sent Friday by the Office of Management and Budget:

MODEL AGENCY NOTICE TO EMPLOYEES AND CONTRACTORS CONCERNING SAFEGUARDING OF CLASSIFIED INFORMATION AND USE OF GOVERNMENT INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS

The recent disclosure of U.S. Government documents by WikiLeaks has resulted in damage to our national security. Each federal employee and contractor is obligated to protect classified information pursuant to all applicable laws, and to use government information technology systems in accordance with agency procedures so that the integrity of such systems is not compromised.

Unauthorized disclosures of classified documents (whether in print, on a blog, or on websites) do not alter the documents' classified status or automatically result in declassification of the documents. To the contrary, classified information, whether or not already posted on public websites or disclosed to the media, remains classified, and must be treated as such by federal employees and contractors, until it is declassified by an appropriate U.S. Government authority.

Federal employees and contractors therefore are reminded of the following obligations with respect to the treatment of classified information and the use of non-classified government information technology systems:

• Except as authorized by their agencies and pursuant to agency procedures, federal employees or contractors shall not, while using computers or other devices (such as Blackberries or Smart Phones) that access the web on non-classified government systems, access documents that are marked classified (including classified documents publicly available on the WikiLeaks and other websites), as doing so risks that material still classified will be placed onto non-classified systems. This requirement applies to access that occurs either through agency or contractor computers, or through employees' or contractors' personally owned computers that access non-classified government systems. This requirement does not restrict employee or contractor access to non-classified, publicly available news reports (and other non-classified material) that may in turn discuss classified material, as distinguished from access to underlying documents that themselves are marked classified (including if the underlying classified documents are available on public websites or otherwise in the public domain).

• Federal employees or contractors shall not access classified material unless a favorable determination of the person's eligibility for access has been made by an agency head or the agency head's designee, the person has signed and approved non-disclosure agreement, the person has a need to know the information, and the person has received contemporaneous training on the proper safeguarding of classified information and on the criminal, civil, and administrative sanctions that may be imposed on an individual who fails to protect classified information from unauthorized disclosure.

• Classified information shall not be removed from official premises or disclosed without proper authorization.

• Federal employees and contractors who believe they may have inadvertently accessed or downloaded classified or sensitive information on computers that access the web via non-classified government systems, or without prior authorization, should contact their information security offices for assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation, and for your vigilance to these responsibilities.

Edited by walker

Just to make it clear:

But the memo does have its limits. It doen't bar employees and contractors from reading news articles about the WikiLeaked US State Department cables, and it doesn't instruct agencies to block access to WikiLeaks.
Well if censorship is the best method to keep the government and politicians in business they might have adapted too many things from dictatorships. Perhaps sooner or later the general public in US will confirm that 2+2=5.

I'm more interested about the information/data from financial sectors and the ties between the and politicians/groups/senators and the economy overall. This buzz about how US politicians are calling and rating their foreign colleagues is imho only interesting for yellow press/lazy reporters and their fanbase.

Kinda modern witchhunt in cooperation with the "dont see, dont talk" method.

Not really a very intresting set of leaks these ones.

It loses a lot of the drama when everything you blow the whistle on was already common knowledge.

A yawn fest dressed up as world news.

Not really a very intresting set of leaks these ones.

It loses a lot of the drama when everything you blow the whistle on was already common knowledge.

A yawn fest dressed up as world news.

Yea, im beginning to see it that way too..

Were´s the really really nasty docs, things

that eventually could cause real damage...

Im starting to lean towards the ppl that suggest

WL is nothing more then a "orcestrated" situation

by the NSA/CIA...

I don't think it was.

But it might as well have been.

Hi all

In an action reminiscent of the famous "I am Spartacus" scene in the film of the same name, Thousands of people have started using the twitter tag #imwikileaks, and are linking to wikileak mirrors or turning their whole site over to Wikileaks.

Others are using this micro linking and mirroring to maintain the access to the Wikileaks websites.

WikiLeaks: Internet backlash follows US pressure against whistleblowing site

Individuals redirecting parts of their own sites to Swedish internet host amid 'censorship'

Charles Arthur, technology editor guardian.co.uk, Sunday 5 December 2010 14.49 GMT

American pressure to dissuade companies in the US from supporting the WikiLeaks website has led to an online backlash in which individuals are redirecting parts of their own sites to its Swedish internet host.

Since early on Friday morning, it has been impossible to reach WikiLeaks by typing wikileaks.org into a web browser because everyDNS, which would redirect queries for the string "wikileaks.org" to that machine address, removed its support for Wikileaks, claiming that it had broken its terms of service by being the target of a huge hacker attack. (See What is DNS?)

Without a DNS record, it is only possible to reach WikiLeaks by typing in the string of numbers which, for most web users, is too unmemorable to make it feasible...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/05/wikileaks-internet-backlash-us-pressure

As allways follow the link to the original article in full

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I agree that ..........................................knowing everything.

yes and no - at once

it is between hammer and the anvil

from one side if we wanna have moral and clean politics - we must know

from other hand - people sometimes should not know all

but it is also of oldest question spoken by many people "is gov. for people or people are for the gov."

when gov. for example will found "there are too many people, half of community must die" do you want to know about it and start revolution or not ?

and what are intentions of "those who are in danger when this is shown to public"

all of our gov. (no matter what country we are from) do some anti-us actions

when "elite" (no matter, was this king and nobels, the rich , the owners , bank busines , communist party members, army officers in some dicatatorships) wants more, than majority has to pay for it and get harm

you are right when you say that public should not know all (to not cause panic) and that some spy may get hurt but... from the other hand , do you want to be in those "who by statistic should not survive" (example of so called theory 20/80 if you know this 20/80 )

there is theory that mechanisation of industry made many people useless, cause machines work instead of them and they should die

pur hitlerism

do you think when for example : gov. of country X say "cut down public health service found" it is something what people should not know roots ?

maybe change "elite" and live free , than "obey elite" and "live under barrel of them" ?

quoting one rock artist lyrics "najstarsze prawo oligarchii, kto władze ma , najpierw o nią się martwi"

"oldest rule of olygarchy, those who have power, in first order only cares to have it longer"

situation in world is hard to balance, cause there are some countries/societies/groups who live in good wealthy conditions only cause they hurt/harm/cheat other country/society/group and if situation would change they would lost much and have problems within (in some countries oil/raw materials o electronics is much more cheaper than in others, like in past it was with colonialism states, cause some pay for job, some not really pay but force, in some more people are stealing profit, in some less)

keeping all in secret leads to corruption, totalitarism, all so called NWO etc.

i would like to live in society that decide about itself, not smoke-screen news, smoke-screen politicians, smoke-screen data , smoke-screen informations

Edited by vilas

i was reffering to all your post, thats why shortening ... used

you look at wikifiles from other side, cause you are from US and some of those files show US foreign politics

thanx to this politics you have cheap oil, you have electronic 20% cheaper than me etc.

having my money probably in US i would buy better camera, better car, better house

but... (thats why there are so many US voices here since begining of forum surprised at world attitude to US, cause some of your good life style costed others people life , cheap oil for example, which make transportation cheaper and thanx to it this camera or lens in US cost 1500 USD, while in Poland for Canon 70-300L i would have to give 2000 USD, some thing is better in US because of not moral US foreign politics and treating badly other countries , which can be seen from such informations)

all has it's cost, like cheap things made by slaves in past when colonialism was (XIX c)

for your society it can be harm, for other people it can be small salvation to see such files and knowledge

if there are infos about Iraq war victims - let it be known, maybe some people will wash face of being so proud and see that they are part of not good game , not such freedom-humanity savers

i would like to know more about things like Klaus Barbie who was protected by US intel ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Barbie ), i would like to know about foreign lack of sovergnity of my country, why bilions of dollars are spent by my gov on war, while we have crisis and they cutting finances on public-service and hospitals etc.

wikifiles are interesting for sure , maybe some people that think "why we are not loved in the world" would see "ooops there are some reasons"

the more we know - the more free we are within our thoughts

of course looking from US point of view - such files are something which should not see eye of public, shame on security and etc.

Edited by vilas

Well when other countries are willing to air out their dirty laundry for the world to see then I'll be ok with the what wikileaks has done.

i was reffering to all your post, thats why shortening ... used

No you were just being a child when faced with an opposing point of view.

Edited by Big Mac

i agree that other countries files would be very interesting (i am interested in my own country 90s in economy and law enforcement, for many people Russian archives too, but US play leading role in the world, so it is focus of world , China business would be interesting )

regarding quoting (...) will be used in future